• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk music.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Does anyone here know how to gradually slow down the tempo of an audio clip in audacity? (while maintaining the pitch).

If not, do you know of any programs that do this?

I have been looking online for quite a bit, but it's looking like the only way to do it is to manually adjust the tempo in small increments. The problem is that what I have in mind is a very large tempo change (180 bpm to 120 bpm), so I'm really hoping there's an easier way to do this.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I just remembered Simon Reynolds and how really awesome and smart he is about music. I wanna listen to Joy Division now.

JD fans: Unknown Pleasures or Closer? I love both, but I think Unknown Pleasures leans more to my direction.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Does anyone here know how to gradually slow down the tempo of an audio clip in audacity? (while maintaining the pitch).

If not, do you know of any programs that do this?

I have been looking online for quite a bit, but it's looking like the only way to do it is to manually adjust the tempo in small increments. The problem is that what I have in mind is a very large tempo change (180 bpm to 120 bpm), so I'm really hoping there's an easier way to do this.
The program Transcribe! is what you're looking for.

http://www.seventhstring.com/

Bear in mind though that this messes with the sound quality pretty badly, so if you're looking to listen to this stuff for listening's sake then this probably won't work for you. But if you're trying to slow down something technically demanding to make it easier to learn then this can make all the difference.

Also, I suppose I should make the obligatory Pritch Youtube Jazz Stuff post that eventually happens in every music thread and only vZakat (to the best of my knowledge) actually checks out.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
Kenny Garrett and Pat Metheny
Chris Potter (part 2)

I'll post up some more stuff if people seem interested.

EDIT: On reflection, I think I've posted up one of these before, and another one will probably scare some people, so I've edited my stuff appropriately. And yes, I post up a lot of chris potter. He's ridiculous. Deal with it.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Pritch, I'm totally up for any not-quite-accessible music (if that's what you're implying by "scary") you have to offer if you got any recs. I enjoy a lot of that kind of stuff.

That Transcribe thing looks really rad, btw. I'm definitely gonna be using that.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, transcribe has saved my *** multiple times on my way through music school. Do bear in mind though that the download is a demo version and it will eventually stop working without you buying a key. (Though I use it infrequently enough and reformat my comp often enough that I've been able to avoid that so far. I should pay for it at some point though, as it is a pretty awesome piece of software.)

I'll post up some more music later I guess. Atm I have to study for an exam that happens in 4 hours though. Then I have to move a bunch of crap to a storage locker in preparation for moving out tomorrow. Maybe I'll get to sleep at some point too. That'd be pretty tight.

Equi

Smash Ace
i remember equi told me modest mouse was obscure.

i laughed.

really.

hard.
That's not saying much, considering you haven't even delved into their older albums (i.e. The Moon & Antartica, Lonesome Crowded West) and digested their lyrics and the music that reflects it.

The only reason why you find Modest Mouse to not be obscure is because of "Float On" "Dashboard" and the new mainstream bs. Speaking of which I'm not one of those artists/musicians who hates on mainstream, not all mainstream is bad, though a lot of it is. Next time you comment, make sure you actually know **** about the band you're critiquing.

Equi

Smash Ace
i hate modest mouse.

i dont understand why some such smart people like that band...
Because their lyrics (in particular their older) are a mind**** and Isaac Brock is tied among some of the greatest lyricists of the past twenty years, along with Tool and a few other bands, though I'm not really much of a fan of Tool's lyrics.

Music is really ****ing important too, so don't think I'm some lyricwhore, but that's your answer as to why smart people dig Modest Mouse.

Pritch

Smash Lord
I've just "acquired" Transcribe on What.CD. >_>

And...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGT83feJTQI

I'm in love
Then you would also like this, most likely:

part 1 and part 2

The musicians are, unfortunately, less easy on the eyes. But the music is pretty good.;)

(Ironically, this is one of the things I edited out of my last post because I think I've posted it before in another of these music threads. But since they're playing the same **** song I figured I should put it up anyways).

And since you asked, I'll go ahead and repost the other thing I edited out. Be warned, there's a lot of saxophones honking and making all sorts of other crazy sounds. But it's pretty cool, if a little out there at times.

"Money" (and other noises)

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
That's not saying much, considering you haven't even delved into their older albums (i.e. The Moon & Antartica, Lonesome Crowded West) and digested their lyrics and the music that reflects it.

The only reason why you find Modest Mouse to not be obscure is because of "Float On" "Dashboard" and the new mainstream bs. Speaking of which I'm not one of those artists/musicians who hates on mainstream, not all mainstream is bad, though a lot of it is. Next time you comment, make sure you actually know **** about the band you're critiquing.

Purple

Hi guys!

i like this guy.

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
i havent heard of almost any of these artists/bands/w.e. O_O i feel...so...unknowledgable in regards to music xD or you guys just know a lots =/

Master Raven

Smash Master
i havent heard of almost any of these artists/bands/w.e. O_O i feel...so...unknowledgable in regards to music xD or you guys just know a lots =/
Don't feel as though we're part of some kvlt el1t3 cabal and you're the inferior jpop-listening croney, lol (even though that may not be what you're thinking, but I really want to make that clear) We just happen to be very passionate for music, and when you're like that, you're inevitably bound to explore lots of different kinds of bands and genres. There's always going to be an absurd amount of music out there that I haven't touched upon yet.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Glenn Branca is AWESOME.

I'm also enjoying Public Image Ltd. I'm probably gonna relisten to Throbbing Gristle soon and check out Psychic TV.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Dabrye is from the future or something. I know people like to say that Flying Lotus is the most progressive Hip-hop out there, but he gets his from drawing from other genres. I don't even understand where Dabrye gets this sound of his, and he's been dishing it out since 1999.

Top Bottom