• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about L-Canceling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yodery

omg liek i totes <3 l-cancelling doe it makes me feel like im playn so kumpeteetuvlee!!!111

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I think it's funny how a lot of the people who are against l-canceling probably can't do it

Like...that's not my argument or anything, it's just funny. Pretty much it just seems like its too tough or something so they want it removed

Sakurai is pandering to you guys for the record. Brawl***s are the reason Brawl sucks. You got what you asked for mother****ers

/rant

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
HEy EVERYONE, I HAVE AN UNPOPULAR OPINION AND AM NOT BEING SUBTLE ABOUT IT!!

GET MAD AT MEEEEEEEEEEeEEEEEEEEEEE!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Lcanceling isn't hard guys. It's not what makes Melee harder than Brawl. The biggest factor is probably the lack of buffering. Why don't you argue about if buffering should return or not?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think it's funny how a lot of the people who are against l-canceling probably can't do it

Like...that's not my argument or anything, it's just funny. Pretty much it just seems like its too tough or something so they want it removed

Sakurai is pandering to you guys for the record. Brawl***s are the reason Brawl sucks. You got what you asked for mother****ers

/rant
Nah, I float cancel most of the time over it. :smirk:

That said, L canceling is not a good mechanic over just cutting cooldown on landing in half.

Y

Yodery

Like I said, I love l-cancelling, 'cause it makes me feel like I'm playing so technically and competitively, and... wait, what?

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Like I said, I love l-cancelling, 'cause it makes me feel like I'm playing so technically and competitively, and... wait, what?
Are you trying to make fun of competitive play? Good luck with that. I really doubt that's going to help the discusion one way or another.

:phone:

Y

Yodery

... This thread is like the Religion & Spirituality section on Yahoo! Answers, dead ***.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Who won it last time? I must sound really smug, lol. Im genuinely curious.
If I say anyone but you you'll respond with "no I won (cellphone image)". And, yes, you're a smug ***, go back to reddit with the rest of your kind.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I didn't really win it, but i felt as though i was on the winning side. Towards the end I was doing more harm then anything else so I decided to leave it up to other posters.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
And then came back for no reason to respond seriously to joke posts. It's okay, I understand that redditors lack senses of humor.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
If I say anyone but you you'll respond with "no I won (cellphone image)". And, yes, you're a smug ***, go back to reddit with the rest of your kind.
Woah woah woah, there's no need for insulting L-canceling supporters like that.

Reddit is hell incarnate

Giving players free block advantage, pressure, and reward is not the way to go about addressing the issues with L-canceling.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
By "the rest of his kind" I meant redditors, not pro-L Cancel...guys.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Just to reiterate: I don't like Lcanceling as it exists currently, as it is kinda arbitrary past a certain point in performing it. That said, there should be a manual method of getting this advantage, just not as black and white as Melee's version.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Never been on reddit. L canceling does exactly what it was intended for. People in this thread tried to come up with workarounds that function, but nothing so good that it should replace traditional manual canceling. I don't really see where all the hate comes from. Whats wrong with rewarding the player with better execution? Maybe if I played brawl, I'd also see it as arbitrary......

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Never been on reddit. L canceling does exactly what it was intended for. People in this thread tried to come up with workarounds that function, but nothing so good that it should replace traditional manual canceling. I don't really see where all the hate comes from. Whats wrong with rewarding the player with better execution? Maybe if I played brawl, I'd also see it as arbitrary......

Like I said:

If I say anyone but you you'll respond with "no I won (cellphone image)".

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Everyone in this thread that thinks L Cancelling should be removed really sucks at smash.
That has got to be the most intelligent post I've ever read on smash boards. :secretkpop:

L cancelling better make a return. That would make my day.
EDIT: Also, LZR makes a great point when he says that L cancelling doesnt decide who is the better player. L cancelling is just a technique, and a rather simple one at that. While some players may feel "pro" when they finally master the technique, it's really their overall skill that determines anything. That should be obvious to anyone.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
And obviously the player who can do the chaingrab or fluent wavedashes has a clear advantage over the opponent, but it doesn't really mean you are a better player, though obviously they will win more because of the reward these techniques offer. Melees technical barrier is just fine and unlike many fighters it means you don't have to spend 10 hours messing around learning stuff before you can play your first friendly.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
And obviously the player who can do the chaingrab or fluent wavedashes has a clear advantage over the opponent, but it doesn't really mean you are a better player,
Why doesnt it? You do actually have to out think your opponent for a good cg to be of any use.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
L Cancelling has nothing to do with hitting the opponent. If you miss, it's not because of L Cancelling.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
L Cancelling has nothing to do with hitting the opponent.
Didn't say it did. Was responding to lzr's CGing example. I wasn't really clear, but I meant to imply l canceling doesnt do a lot for reckless players. You can't just tech skill a better player to death with it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well you can actually techskill people to death using spacies until you reach something like midlevels. And isn't Melee chaingrabbing mostly just reacting to where they go and then regrabbing them?

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Melee CGing is mainly guaranteed at certain percents then, if you're on FD, a rock paper scissors guess on DI.

I still am having trouble understanding what an "arbitrary" tech skill barrier is. Technically, isn't any barrier arbitrary? Can't any competitive game be boiled down to maybe one or two actual user inputs and the rest be automated? Isn't a combination of tech skill and mental knack for the game the point of a competitive metagame? I am simply failing to understand why we want to make the game easier...

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Exaggerating the other person's point to ridiculous levels, nice job. I could say the same thing about your point and say that every single frame of motion should take 50 completely different inputs individually because that takes more tech skill than just holding the stick in a direction to move.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Melee CGing is mainly guaranteed at certain percents then, if you're on FD, a rock paper scissors guess on DI.

I still am having trouble understanding what an "arbitrary" tech skill barrier is. Technically, isn't any barrier arbitrary? Can't any competitive game be boiled down to maybe one or two actual user inputs and the rest be automated? Isn't a combination of tech skill and mental knack for the game the point of a competitive metagame? I am simply failing to understand why we want to make the game easier...

In my opinion, technical and mental skill should go in hand in hand, not two separate entities, and I think we can agree on that.

If anything, we need a streamline on certain things to reduce the difficult for pulling things off consistently while providing new things to tackle at the same time.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Well no, I'm arguing that we had reached the correct balance with Melee. Others are saying that one of the major tech skill inputs of Melee is arbitrary. So I presented questions. Jesus

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yet that kind of balance is subjective. You place more emphasis on technical skill than I do (or at least in different areas) so it may seem more balanced in this area to you. It's all preferences really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom