• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Shake Things Up

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Okay, why does Ryker have a stickied thread? Where’s the queue? Why haven’t I liked this post yet? All that and more to be answered in short order.

Here’s the quick version: The queue is gone. If you want to host a game: open a thread, get the sign-ups and start.

Here’s the long version:

I’ve approached both Raz and Marshy with the intent to end the queue. I believe it is a flawed system that’s dated and only inhibits us at this point. As it stands, you have to wait around a year, maybe more for your game to come up in the queue. First, that number is insanity. It causes all kinds of nasty problems and doesn’t incentivise players to grow as hosts. We get half-assed set-ups and games the mod loses interest in after Day 2. We get games that have been in queue for so long that the player base consists of players who signed up long ago and can’t devote the time anymore and players who signed up recently just so it fills and the next game in the queue can come up. With a year and a half wait time, it’s also very hard for hosts to improve as they have to wait so long before they get a chance to try again after a mistake (not to mention the fact that their queue spot is guaranteed and they don’t really have to put forth effort to give players a better experience). Reform needs to happen and the best way to tackle it is to create a competitive environment where you are rewarded for hosting a good game.

So, we’re going to try this. It has a lot of room for good things to happen. However, we’re going to need to change people’s approach to signing up for and hosting games. Here is what we need from YOU to make this work:

1.) If you’re not interested, don’t play.

Look. Now you should have a selection of games to choose from. Do not sign up if you’re not going to play. I am going to start blacklisting people who drop out of my games and I HIGHLY recommend other hosts do so as well. We don’t have to tolerate people ruining games and they should be punished for doing so unless there are extremely extenuating circumstances. To this end, I will be requiring a much more solid excuse before I go seeking a replacement and I strongly suggest other hosts do the same. “I was at a tournament and don’t have the drive to catch up,” or “I really lost interest in this game, sorry guys,” will no longer merit a replacement from me. We need to stop allowing people to do things like that, especially when replacements could be used to get games that are looking for sign-ups past that phase.

2.) If you’re not interested, don’t host.

I swear, half the games in that queue were not signed up because they wanted to host a game, but because they wanted to have the option to host a game down the road since it would take so long. We want inspired games with hosts that care to put on a great show. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. Unless you take great joy in putting out set-ups, I hope you will let others host rather than simply adding to the total. That is not to say don’t host if you have a set-up you want to run, but don’t host without one simply because you can.

3.) Hosts, make your games memorable.

Sort of goes hand-in-hand with my previous post. If you have an inspired mechanic, think it out well and don’t rush it. Seek peer review and make sure it is perfect. If you don’t want to run something complicated and want to run something basic, run it well. Look at Gova’s Revenge of Meta Knight Mafia. It was a very basic set-up, but you wanted to see every mod post because even his vote counts were entertaining. Every game should be treated with care and if you can’t do that on your own, find someone to help you. We want to make sure games are of the highest quality. If you don’t get sign-ups then you need to move to make it more appealing. We’re trying to give people choice, so make it a product people want.

4.) Be polite.

Look, it’s not hard. When there are multiple games taking sign-ups, wait until some fill. If you’ve run two games back-to-back, chill out and let other people run for a little bit. Don’t run something with the same or very similar flavors until one finishes (ex. If someone is running Fire Emblem 7 Mafia, then don’t start Fire Emblem Awakening mafia if you’re just going to be competing directly). Use some common sense.

Okay guys, there we go. You can use this thread to talk about this change or to seek set-up advice and critique. I’m going to turn this into the central hub to talk about set-ups and what is right or wrong with them and how to improve them. Soon I’m probably going to post my set-up for Ryker Mafia 3 and the thought process behind it, but first I want people to get to see what is going on around here. In the mean time, go sign up for Marshy’s game. It was next in the queue and it’s likely going to be amazing based on what little I’ve heard. The thread is up now.

Peace nerds (this means you, Xonar).

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
It's kinda funny that this is how I started in an era like this where hosts just hosted as they saw fit and then eventually moved into a sign-up. I've come full circle.

:186:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Setups are still going to have to be approved, right?
Nope. If your games suck, you'll lose your player base. However, I REALLY want to push people to start improving on it. This thread is going to turn into a resource for improving the quality of games and seeking review.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Likely the latter. We didn't actually discuss that, but this is essentially going to be a meritocracy. If you host and your set-up is balls, people probably won't join set-ups by you.

But that said, there will almost certainly be a moderator or other player willing to review your setup for the PURPOSES of making it not suck.

Marshmellowman

Macman|marshy
But that said, there will almost certainly be a moderator or other player willing to review your setup for the PURPOSES of making it not suck.
this

if you have a setup and want it looked at then there ARE people who will look at it. i will. kataefi will. gheb will. others as well who will speak up if you ask. were a small community so we should be helpin each other out wit this type of ****

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
If anyone wants help with their set-up, I am perfectly willing to help any and all people looking for input. I've been hosting and helping others host for years now and while I'm no OS, I am perfectly good at hosting (ignore LASPM).

On a side note, get ready for me to host again. I'm so excited oh mah gah

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Likely the latter. We didn't actually discuss that, but this is essentially going to be a meritocracy. If you host and your set-up is balls, people probably won't join set-ups by you.

So chibo never gets any signups? :p

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
over at Talking Time, the way they run their "queue" is that once a game finishes, they have people pitch setups in their main mafia thread. Once they've gathered a good amount of setup pitches, they make a thread with a poll, and people vote for the setup they want to play. The one with the most votes after about a week gets played. If you voted for the setup that wins, you're signed up. Then they take additional signups as needed.

It's kind of a hectic system, but it absolutely works in terms of encouraging people to not make ****ty setups. Only the most interesting ones get played, and if people decide they want something more simple, they can do that.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
The entire point is to create a system in which anyone can host. That system would actually highlight one of the things we are wary of with this where only OS, Nabe, and a select few others actually get to host.

And it's much easier to fix in this situation.

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
How does that work with our love for closed set-ups here?

Speak for yourself, I hate closed setups. If more open setups popped up in the queue I might play more often. I've honestly stopped watching the queue recently, so this system might encourage me to pay more attention to finding games I like.

But in their case, they often do pitch semi-open setups where they list a ton of potential roles, but some won't actually show up in the game. So they don't technically know the setup, but they have a very good idea of what they're getting themselves into. Once or twice I've seen games get played there where the pitch was just flavor, with a promise of good times to be had.

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
this is cool, games should fill faster this way too

Marshmellowman

Macman|marshy
It's kinda funny that this is how I started in an era like this where hosts just hosted as they saw fit and then eventually moved into a sign-up. I've come full circle.

lol dude we used to do the same **** then hit the queue and now back again. this is also about the 3rd revolution weve had this year AND the newbie queue is back

dgames is clearly a timeloop and little do we know that we are trapped

Marshmellowman

Macman|marshy
and yeah the mini queue is now the newbie queue or is it really the mini newbie queue? we kept it so we can filter out who can play the real games we can give people more options in a fair and balanced way!

Chaco

Never Logs In
DGames has officially come full circle!

Gonna wait til a few games die down, and then Hentai Mafia 3 will be up and a runnin'. Might expand it a bit, still small player base thoooo.

Then after that, Ill have my AGame ready hopefully. :/

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh it willllllll, you can trust that. I need a co-mod though. I'm trying to seduce convince @Rockin to do it!

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
might be able to run it now if marshy's game is any indicator--we've got several surplus players about and if you don't run it i'm gonna give a game a stab

Chaco

Never Logs In
I gotta add some finishing touches. But I could have it up by tomorrow afternoon, I have to formalize Role PMs and make my mod/co-mod key sheet. And get the thread up, but I in theory could have it up tonight.

I'll find someone to review the balance beforehand, was gonna have rockin review it also, buttt he's busy tomorrow so I can catch someone on the fly... perhaps @Xiivi. I'll see what I can knock out tonight before crashing.

Marshmellowman

Macman|marshy
I'll find someone to review the balance beforehand, was gonna have rockin review it also, buttt he's busy tomorrow so I can catch someone on the fly... perhaps @Xiivi. I'll see what I can knock out tonight before crashing.
this aint 2010 dawg. youve got more reliable resources in this thread

EDIT was gonna offer to take a look at it but seems laundrys beaten me to the punch. well whoever you want then

Chaco

Never Logs In
lol, right?

Laundry can work with me, and i'm open to you co-modding as well if you'd like. Rockin didn't seem to enthuseddddd. :p

Also @ Marshmellowman Marshmellowman , true that. I didn't know who to ask tbh... I just came back around so I'm kinda lost as to ask who to review, and i didn't want to ask you right off the rip since you's hosting a game now. Figured you'd be busy setting it up fully.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Just saying, I'm not gonna enter it, in all likelihood because I'm not playing too many games at once.

Top Bottom