• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Turf Tag Battle
2. Burning Rangers

(I enjoy the rhythm minigames a lot, just wanted to shout those out!)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This is a tough one, but I'll go with:
1) Karaoke
2) Columns

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
1. Burning Rangers (I like the idea of platfighters having more cooperative options)
2. Karaoke (What can I say? Would be really fun and really funny)
Also I'm gonna try and stick around for the last of this game's base content. I felt really bad about dropping a kickass name and then leaving for good, so even though I don't know much about Sega (apart from the one blue guy I can't remember the name of for some reason), I'd love to at least help out and provide whatever cool ideas I can with the limited knowledge I can gain from Sega Wiki alone.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Also I'm gonna try and stick around for the last of this game's base content. I felt really bad about dropping a kickass name and then leaving for good, so even though I don't know much about Sega (apart from the one blue guy I can't remember the name of for some reason), I'd love to at least help out and provide whatever cool ideas I can with the limited knowledge I can gain from Sega Wiki alone.
No worries, you're very much welcome here!

also incidentally one of our members happens to be an admin on the SEGA Wiki so we have Connections

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hello, hello! Lovely to meet you, that Sega Wiki admin would be me. And don't worry too much about not knowing too much, I've picked up a LOT of my Sega knowledge almost exclusively through doing research for this game...and then double checking it and adding it to the Sega Wiki when I can!

Votes!
1. Burning Rangers
2. Samba de Amigo

I really like the Karaoke set too, but part of me thinks Yakuza is already represented pretty well, so Amigo's getting my second vote.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Wonder Boy Heroes Capsule Toys:

Wonder Boy and Tanya
Debut:Wonder Boy
System Debut:Arcade

Bocke Lee Temjin
Debut:Wonder Boy in Monster Land
System Debut:SEGA Master System

Leo and Pupapril
Debut:Wonder Boy III: Monsters Lair
System Debut:Arcade

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
it's tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime!

results time! oh yeah lets go!!!!!

Let's take a look:

BR: 13 points
Karaoke: 11 points
Amigo: 2 points
Tag Battle: 6 points
Columns: 4 points

And with that, we have a winner: Burning Rangers will be our third and final minigame!!!!

Now then, the addition of this minigame actually slots another job into the future roadmap I have, which means I'm gonna have to do this job already:

Job #161: Submit passengers for the Crazy Taxi mode

Yeah this was a job I had in mind for the future but now we're gonna have to do a job for the civillains in the BR minigame too so I figure we could do this one early.

So in the original pitch for our Crazy Taxi minigame, you may recall how it was stated that our passengers would be various SEGA characters. Well then.....which SEGA characters are they gonna be?

This one's gonna be a bit different - instead of voting on submissions, I'll round up the submissions and put them all in. They all go in. You put one forward, they go in. That may be something to keep in mind.

So basically you just have to say who the character in question is and what their destination in this mode is. Characters who are already playable aren't allowed, but characters with preexisting non-playable roles (so an assist for example) are. I'm not entirely sure if this will disconfirm anyone - probably not but I'd still recommend submitting characters you don't see making it to the roster at this point. I'll also let you all put forward 2 characters each. ok now bye

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job 161:
Segata Sanshiro (SEGA)

1646681016501.png

(We have him as a boss, so why not have Segata as passenger?)

Segata Sanshiro is a character created by Sega to advertise the Sega Saturn in Japan between 1997 and 1998. He is a parody of Sugata Sanshirō, a legendary judo fighter from Akira Kurosawa's 1943 film Sanshiro Sugata. In television and radio advertisements, Segata Sanshiro is portrayed by actor Hiroshi Fujioka. He was positioned as a martial artist who commanded people to play Sega Saturn games.
Segata Sanshiro has also had cameo appearances in video games, a comic book and a live concert. He has retained a cult following in Japan and has been credited with helping improve Saturn sales there. Western journalists have praised the appeal and advertising prowess of the character.

In this minigame, he is a passenger that his final destination that he wants to go is his Dojo, where it locates on North of the minigame map. If you go to the destination, the reward is actually money like always in the minigame.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #161: Mobo and Robo (Bonanza Bros.)

990CC36D-9F4A-467B-9EB7-E9FD60802F5C.jpeg

Life comes at you fast. One day you’re just a humble cab driver trying to get your passengers to their destination as quickly as possible, and the next thing you know, you’re the unwitting getaway driver for pair of bank robbers. If you’re ever unfortunate enough to become an accomplice in their latest heist, you’ll be tasked with getting them to the helicopter landing pad so they can make their escape. Though this might reflect poorly on your criminal record on top of the various traffic violations you commit on the daily, the brothers will pay you handsomely for assisting in their getaway.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Goro Akechi (Persona 5)
See the source image

"Hey, I was going to meet some friends at the pancake place for some delicious pancakes, would you be able to take me there?"
In a reference to a totally not overdone meme and iconic moment in Persona 5, Goro Akechi asks you to take him to... the pancake place for some delicious pancakes and gives you some change if you do so.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #161: Crazy Passengers

a.) Bin (Dynamite Dux)

Dynamite-Dux-Bin.png

"Hey there! Lucy asked me to go to downtown and pick up some fried chicken. Could you drive me to the drive thru? Huh? What does a duck want with fried chicken? It's...complicated."

So both Crazy Taxi and Dynamite Dux have both had KFC references in their games, it seems only appropriate for Bin to ask for a lift to the local fried chicken shop to pick up some fast food for his owner...or girlfriend depending on the version. Granted, we may not have it branded as KFC, but...well...good enough a reference, right?

Crazy Taxi KFC.jpg

-------------------------------------

b.) Hatsuho Shinonome (New Sakura Wars)

Sakura_Wars_Artwork_Hatsuho_Shinonome.png

"There's a demon attack happening at the cafe! I need you to take me there immedietly so I can beat their asses! What's that? N-no...I'm not just going to drink tea and eat snacks with Sakura, I promise ya!"

Demons are attacking the local Japanese cafe! Apparently anyway. Get Hatsuho down to where Sakura Amayima is so they can prevent a demon attack from happening! Or get lunch!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
a) Big the Cat (Sonic the Hedgehog)

Big wants you to bring him to where Froggy is... which could be literally anywhere on the map within a certain radius from where you pick him up. It could be a really challenging drive, or it could be a few feet away from where Big gets in.

b) Hell Biker (Shin Megami Tensei)

Ooh yeah! Hell Biker needs you to take him to the motorcycle repair shop so he can get his sweet ride back! But he's only got you three minutes... three minutes of playtime! (amount of playtime may vary - I know very little about wrestling, but I wanted to cram a Macho Man reference in there)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #161:

a-)
Estel Aguirre (Streets of Rage)
1646717597475.png

A Special Forces Officer and a boss character debuted in Streets of Rage 4 as a boss, later leaving the force and joining the sides of the heroes as a playable character. Estel requested backup but no one arrived so it's up to you to drive her to the Police Precinct, so she can beat up some corrupt cops while at it.

1646718323412.png

b-) MeeMee (Super Monkey Ball)
1646718100746.png

MeeMee is the partner of a monkey with a great passion for adventure and the mother of a time traveller baby so it's no wonder she worries about leaving them alone. Deliver her to their house in the Jungle Island as quickly as possible so she can rest in ease knowing they're not up to shenenigans again.

1646718375786.png

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Mario Grianni (Shenmue)
1646745558324.png

That's right, I'm getting him in this game somehow! Mario Grianni is the head chef and owner of Bob's Pizzeria in Shenmue, and that's exactly where he needs to go! How else can he serve the hungry customers all the new fresh ingredients he just picked up at the market?! Rapidamente!

Angela Thompson (Trauma Center)
1646745479875.png
1646745092309.png

Angie is the main nurse in the Trauma Center series and Derek Stiles' right-hand-woman. And right now, she needs to get across town to the hospital! She has patients to save!

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #161:
a) Greendog (Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude!)

Greendog2.png

Greendog was the titular protagonist of the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis game, Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude! He's a man of few words, most of them being "dude" and "cool", but he loves makin' waves at the beach. His game starts after wiping out after a gnarly wave, and waking up in an alternate dimension. In Crazy Taxi mode, our mop-topped surfer bro would (of course) want to high tail it to the beach to catch the waves as high tide is about to come in.

b) Mr. Bones (Mr. Bones)
Mr. Bones.jpg

Give Mr. Bones a wild ride to the Graveyard! This rockin' skeleton is the undead protagonist of Mr. Bones, a Sega Saturn game developed by Ed Annunziata of Ecco the Dolphin fame (and to a lesser extent, Kolibri fame). After being resurrected by an evil wizard, Mr. Bones finds himself to be the only one of his graveyard peers with free will. With the help of a guitar gifted to him by a blind guitarist, he uses the power of rock save the day! That's where you come in, you have to get Mr. Bones to the graveyard to put on a show for a sold-out spine-tingling crowd!

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alllllllright, we have 18 passengers. I think that's a rather solid lineup right there. So I'm closing the job - thank you, there were some great submissions here!

And now......it is finally time for our next character job:

Job #162: Submit a SEGA character who debuted in the 80s......again

Indeed, it is time for the old farts! I.....don't have much to say. Just submit a SEGA character from the 80s. And they've gotta be from a series that isn't in our roster yet. ok now bye

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Centurion (Altered Beast)

Altered Beast is a 1988 beat 'em up game that used to be the pack-in game for the Sega Genesis before Sonic 1 was. The game followed a fallen roman warrior (a Centurion) resurrected by Zeus so he can defeat the evil Neff and save Zeus' daughter Athena. He can gradually ALTER his form into different kinds of BEASTS by using Spirit Orbs granted by defeating certain enemies that differ depending on the version of the game you're playing.
As far as his playstyle goes, Centurion would probably be heavy on melee attacks and transform into animals like werewolves, weredragons, werebears, werehogs weretigers, etc for certain attacks. We could also give him a mechanic like Lucario's Aura, where his beast form becomes more evident the more damage he takes or deals, until he finally reaches a beast form (and at that point, the player would choose via a wheel around Centurion like Shulk's Monado Arts in Ultimate, and maybe each beast would have a different down special or something.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Neff (Altered Beast - 1988)

Admittedly, I know very little about Sega's properties from the 80's, but we don't have any Altered Beast characters in here yet, and I figure it would be a nice change of pace to have a playable villain from a franchise. The guy who says "Welcome to your doom", Neff is (according to the Japanese version, going by the Sega wiki) an evil sorcerer, magician, or demon lord who somehow took over the Greek underworld from Hades in a surprise attack.

Neff appears as the boss at the end of each level, first showing up as a withered old sorcerer before shapeshifting into a new form to try and defeat the player character. The rhino form pictured above is his final boss form, which has been used for most of his appearances lately (like in Wreck-It Ralph), but he can change into other forms (or, presumably, alter his current form) and shoot lightning from his hands, which would allow for more variety in his moves.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Harrier (Space Harrier - 1985)

Space Harrier is one of SEGA's classic franchises. Space Harrier is a third-person on rails shooter.

Harrier flies through the surrealist landscapes of Space Harrier and shoots his massive Jet Propelled Laser Cannon at enemies, This cannon is what allows Harrier to fly. Harrier could utilize all of these in a moveset.

Last edited:

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #162: Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
Joe Musashi.png

The hero of the Shinobi franchise has arrived! Joe Musashi is one of SEGA's oldest mascots, and the face of one of its oldest and most beloved "old-school" franchises. On both consoles and arcade, the series' trademark hack and slash style were considered some of the best early SEGA had to offer. His game series has spawned twelve mainline entries as well as a spin-off starring Alex Kidd in place of Joe in the original Shinobi.

As for Joe himself, he is the star of several games in the franchise, most notably the original and the third one, Revenge of Shinobi, and he is a one-man ninja army. When a terrorist organization named Zeed starts stealing the children of his clan, he goes out on a crusade to bring down the entire organization and take them back. Even after Zeed rebranded to try and take down Joe once again, and tried to get revenge on Joe by kidnapping his bride, he took on the organization again. Keep in mind, this is an organization that employs evil versions of Spider-Man, Batman, The Terminator, Rambo, Jackie Chan, and Godzilla. Joe Musashi is just that strong.

Half the fun of the Shinobi games is the gameplay of the characters and Joe would have a lot you can pull from in terms of lore and playstyle. Projectile shurikens, close-range slash attacks with his sword, and somersaults that he can use to jump up whole buildings would be his specialty. He's both fast and would have a ton of unique and diverse moves. I see him as a general all-rounder, but with emphasis on maneuverability.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm just going to resubmit Pengo as I think we covered the 80s pretty well so far

Job #162: Pengo

View attachment 346004

Pengo is an arcade game from 1982. He's a red penguin that pushes ice blocks in a maze to crush his enemies in cold blood while surviving their attacks. Believe it or not, the game was a big success and inspired a whole slew of other games (possibly including Bomberman of all things) inspired by it due to the lack of similarly impactful games during that era. I think another 80s character and such a classic one on top of that has merits to be included and it'd be a nice chance to give Pengo some love in a crossover title.

While not much of a fighter, Pengo is no stranger to pecking his enemies to submission or rolling over them with solid ice so he can have a snow-based moveset with some creativity.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #162: Ricky and Mary (Alien Syndrome)
073E7761-B1ED-4C21-93EE-8A074A186036.jpeg

Ricky and Mary are the protagonists of the 1987 arcade game Alien Syndrome. The game is an isometric shooter in which you have to shoot down aliens that are invading your ship while rescuing your crewmates. While there are other arcade hits that I think deserve bigger priority, I just think it’d be neat to have some sci-fi horror flavor on this roster assuming our guest character doesn’t end up being a Xenomorph or something. I’d imagine these two being zoners, primarily fighting with their guns and taking advantage of the various weapon upgrades. You could probably pull some stuff from the 2007 Wii reboot to fill in the gaps, but considering that game wasn’t particularly well received I think we should primarily base them off of their arcade incarnation.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #162: New 80's Fighter - Niño (Aztec Adventure - 1987)

A original post was submitted by osby osby .

Aztec Adventure (Nazca '88: The Golden Road to Paradise in Japan) is a Master System action-adventure game released for the Master System in 1987. It tells the story of a young adventurer named Niño searching a massive maze for the treasures of ancient Aztec/Nazca civilizations and finding the way to paradise while three other adventurers try and stop him (the cat, dog, and bird on the cover).

In this game, Niño might get a slight design update not dissimilar to the one Pit got in Brawl but even in his home game, he has plenty of material to work with, especially considering his game's age. He can wield a short sword, arrows, dynamites, and bullets and also has an arsenal of magical items in his disposals. These include (but are not limited to) boots that allow him to walk on water, lightning bolts that make him invincible and on-command whirlwinds. One of the main mechanics is using money bags to bribe your enemies to work for you, which also means he can have a special mechanic involving assist characters.

Aztec Adventure is not a big game by any means but I think it has a fun and unique aesthetic, and it could be a fun way to represent a not well-known SEGA title from the 80s.

Last edited:
I'm submitting Princess Kurumi for tonygameman tonygameman .
Re-submitting time again (mostly same as the last time when I submitted her, but with extra stuff brought up by other users).

Job #106: New Arcade Character - Princess Kurumi (Ninja Princess - 1985)

Princess Kurumi is the protagonist of SEGA's Ninja Princess, also known as "SEGA Ninja" or simply "The Ninja" (on SEGA Master System), which focuses on her escaping from a traitorous retainer, Zaemon Gyokuro, after he took over her castle and ordered his men to carry away after being kidnapped, transforming herself into a kunoichi and sets about saving her home and putting a stop to Gyokuro's takeover. While obscure and not well-known currently, Kurumi is acknowledged as one of the first female video game protagonists who was made before Samus Aran herself (alongside other examples such as Ms. Pac-Man, Papri from Girl's Garden by SEGA, Baraduke's Tobi "Kissy" Masuyo and Time Gal's Reika Kirishima), even also predating Joe Musashi as SEGA's first ninja hero by two years (who debuted in 1987), despite not being the part of SEGA Gals figure line-up.

According to a fellow friend and mentor in this website, YoshiandToad YoshiandToad , Ninja Princess is among one of the best games in SEGA's earliest console, the SG-1000, which was made before the Master System console itself. In fact, Kurumi would also represent that console as well, as I don't think there's other noticeable games besides it and Girl's Garden (because it was Yuji Naka's first work in SEGA).

For some facts/info, consider watching a playthrough of the original arcade game and this video (people may have known this from Ready Player Two the last year as it's plot point and some spirit also lives on Pocky & Rocky such as run-and-gun shooter gameplay and a cute Japanese culture-based setting).

As a titular ninja/kunoichi princess, Kurumi can be seen as a counterpart to Zelda/Sheik (minus transforming) and maybe even The Mysterious Murasame Castle's Takamaru. For her playstyle/moveset possibilities, she is able to use acrobatics such as back-flip kicks, stealth techniques and her knives to attack opponents by slashing for melee combat or throwing them in eight directions around her towards opponents, like in the original arcade game. She also has throwing stars/shurikens as additional projectiles and can turn herself invisible for a short period of time, able to bypass physical attacks and projectiles as well, which can be used for a teleporting recovery when aimed with a control stick.

Considering that one of her game's titles/names is the "SEGA Ninja", Kurumi may borrow some moves from other ninja characters created by the big blue company themselves, such as Espio the Chameleon, Kage-Maru and those from Shinobi, specifically Hibana. This would also apply for her alternate palettes.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
JOB 162:80's Debut Character

Borderline Soldier from Borderline

Now this is going to be one of, if not, the most obscure character submitted here. For those who don't know, Borderline was a military game for the SG-1000. In fact it was the first game for the SG-1000. That's right, this character is from the oldest SEGA console game. This character will mainly rely on his weapons and allies but with the determination of a soldier, he will win the Battle of AGES!!!!!

Also, I mainly submitted him because all the good ones were taken.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #162: 80's character

I was originally going to talk about the importance of Zillion within Sega, being the product that helped them conquer Brazil's market and gave Tectoy, it's distributor it's big break...buuuut...it's a little unclear who actually owns the rights to the Zillion cast (outside Opa-Opa obviously) so oops!

I also wanted to talk about Egle, the knight prince star of Pit Pot who has a far more interesting history than you'd think Alex Kidd's palette swap may have...but...he's technically an Alex Kidd character, despite appearing a year before Alex, so he's out...

SO...let's talk about the other character I haven't been able to shut up about throughout the thread!

Surprisingly I haven't done a submission for him before, but that's about to change as this seems like the best time for me to wax on about this game that very few seem to talk about in SEGA discourse.

Psycho Fox

Psycho-Fox.png

Okay so anyone who has been paying attention to my submissions may have noticed I'm quite fond of this bizarre Master System title called Psycho Fox, and with good reason because it's considered one of the very best platformer titles on the Master System, a console absolutely filled with platformers including the excellent Castle of Illusion series, my beloved Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World and even Sonic himself. That's a high level of praise IMO. That it was also a Master System exclusive that didn't get a Game Gear or Mega Drive port likely helped it stand out more too though.

Who is Psycho Fox?
Psycho Fox is a young fox cub sent out into the world by the Fox Priests as their champion to free the land from the corrupt MadFox Daimiyojin who has taken command of legions of monsters, destroying the lands and taking over their shrine. Psycho Fox isn't just an ordinary Fox however, as he has the ability to transform into various other animals with a wave of a Shinto Stick.

Yes, the Psycho in Psycho Fox is actually a reference to his PSYCHIC shapeshifting mystical abilities, as Japan constantly use the words interchangably. So let's run through what this little Fox can do in each form.

Psycho-Fox-Psycho-Fox-icon.png
: The standard form of Psycho Fox, Fox's original form is the jack of all stats form that allows him to run and jump decently with no glaring strengths or weaknesses.

Psycho-Fox-Hippo-Icon.png
: Hippopotamus form is slow and cannot jump well...however in this form Psycho Fox can smash through solid brick with his punches, opening up secret areas. As a result he hits like a truck.

Psycho-Fox-Monkey-Icon.png
: Monkey form is by far the best jumper, allowing Fox to reach areas he otherwise couldn't at the cost of a slightly slower footspeed.

Psycho-Fox-Tiger-Icon.png
: Tiger form is ridiculously fast, easily outpacing all the other forms. If speed was your main focus, Tiger form would allow Fox to blitz through any level with ease at the cost of his jumping height.

Along the way Psycho Fox would also obtain a throwable friend/pet/weapon/shield in the form of BirdFly(who I also submitted as an item back in the day) who would act as both an attacking item to throw at enemies from a distance and as an extra hit point for Fox as long as Birdfly was on his back like a backpack.

Anyone who has enjoyed DeCap Attack may think this sounds similar to Chuck D. Head's ability with the skull...and it is... because it is.

Psycho Fox is a spiritual predecessor to DeCap Attack, establishing many of the gameplay quirks that Decap is known for such as the ability to stomp opponents into the ground to defeat them, the giant bouncy poles that can launch the character forward, the throwable sentient sidekick that acts as both a weapon and a free hit point, the strange momentum based platforming and even the bonus game where you bet money to make more versions of the protagonist and have them walk up a pathway to obtain power ups and the like.

The game is actually made by Vic Tokai rather than SEGA themselves, which normally I'd think would make this entry completely invalid.
However, Sega seems to own the IP and the characters of their Vic Tokai titles as seen in later games such as SEGAGAGA where the protagonists from Vic Tokai's Battle Mania/Trouble Shooter show up to fight under Sega's banner. This would make them the only third party characters to do so, which...if you have carte blanche to use Sega associated third parties, I don't think everyone's first pick outside of me is Vic Tokai!
Chuck D. Head and DeCap Attack also appear in the Sega Genesis Collection, which again, would make it the only third party game within that collection.

There's not much information on why this is(or Vic Tokai in general), but I find it suspicious that both times Vic Tokai's Sega creations have been treated as SEGA characters rather than a third party. Psycho Fox is therefore likely covered under this. (but if you're not convinced...I dunno...swap him out for Bin from Dynamite Dux)

Anyway, thank you for coming to my ted talk on Psycho Fox.

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Job #162: 80's character

I was originally going to talk about the importance of Zillion within Sega, being the product that helped them conquer Brazil's market and gave Tectoy, it's distributor it's big break...buuuut...it's a little unclear who actually owns the rights to the Zillion cast (outside Opa-Opa obviously) so oops!

I also wanted to talk about Egle, the knight prince star of Pit Pot who has a far more interesting history than you'd think Alex Kidd's palette swap may have...but...he's technically an Alex Kidd character, despite appearing a year before Alex, so he's out...

SO...let's talk about the other character I haven't been able to shut up about throughout the thread!

Surprisingly I haven't done a submission for him before, but that's about to change as this seems like the best time for me to wax on about this game that very few seem to talk about in SEGA discourse.

Psycho Fox

View attachment 347013

Okay so anyone who has been paying attention to my submissions may have noticed I'm quite fond of this bizarre Master System title called Psycho Fox, and with good reason because it's considered one of the very best platformer titles on the Master System, a console absolutely filled with platformers including the excellent Castle of Illusion series, my beloved Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World and even Sonic himself. That's a high level of praise IMO. That it was also a Master System exclusive that didn't get a Game Gear or Mega Drive port likely helped it stand out more too though.

Who is Psycho Fox?
Psycho Fox is a young fox cub sent out into the world by the Fox Priests as their champion to free the land from the corrupt MadFox Daimiyojin who has taken command of legions of monsters, destroying the lands and taking over their shrine. Psycho Fox isn't just an ordinary Fox however, as he has the ability to transform into various other animals with a wave of a Shinto Stick.

Yes, the Psycho in Psycho Fox is actually a reference to his PSYCHIC shapeshifting mystical abilities, as Japan constantly use the words interchangably. So let's run through what this little Fox can do in each form.

View attachment 347014: The standard form of Psycho Fox, Fox's original form is the jack of all stats form that allows him to run and jump decently with no glaring strengths or weaknesses.

View attachment 347015: Hippopotamus form is slow and cannot jump well...however in this form Psycho Fox can smash through solid brick with his punches, opening up secret areas. As a result he hits like a truck.

View attachment 347016: Monkey form is by far the best jumper, allowing Fox to reach areas he otherwise couldn't at the cost of a slightly slower footspeed.

View attachment 347017: Tiger form is ridiculously fast, easily outpacing all the other forms. If speed was your main focus, Tiger form would allow Fox to blitz through any level with ease at the cost of his jumping height.

Along the way Psycho Fox would also obtain a throwable friend/pet/weapon/shield in the form of BirdFly(who I also submitted as an item back in the day) who would act as both an attacking item to throw at enemies from a distance and as an extra hit point for Fox as long as Birdfly was on his back like a backpack.

Anyone who has enjoyed DeCap Attack may think this sounds similar to Chuck D. Head's ability with the skull...and it is... because it is.

Psycho Fox is a spiritual predecessor to DeCap Attack, establishing many of the gameplay quirks that Decap is known for such as the ability to stomp opponents into the ground to defeat them, the giant bouncy poles that can launch the character forward, the throwable sentient sidekick that acts as both a weapon and a free hit point, the strange momentum based platforming and even the bonus game where you bet money to make more versions of the protagonist and have them walk up a pathway to obtain power ups and the like.

The game is actually made by Vic Tokai rather than SEGA themselves, which normally I'd think would make this entry completely invalid.
However, Sega seems to own the IP and the characters of their Vic Tokai titles as seen in later games such as SEGAGAGA where the protagonists from Vic Tokai's Battle Mania/Trouble Shooter show up to fight under Sega's banner. This would make them the only third party characters to do so, which...if you have carte blanche to use Sega associated third parties, I don't think everyone's first pick outside of me is Vic Tokai!
Chuck D. Head and DeCap Attack also appear in the Sega Genesis Collection, which again, would make it the only third party game within that collection.

There's not much information on why this is(or Vic Tokai in general), but I find it suspicious that both times Vic Tokai's Sega creations have been treated as SEGA characters rather than a third party. Psycho Fox is therefore likely covered under this. (but if you're not convinced...I dunno...swap him out for Bin from Dynamite Dux)

Anyway, thank you for coming to my ted talk on Psycho Fox.
You have good drawings

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
NiGHTS Capsule Toy Submission:

Reala
Debut:NiGHTS into Dreams
System Debut:SEGA Saturn

Ideayas
System Debut:SEGA Saturn

Alarm Egg