• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This thread is dead af.
It’s not the thread. With Smash Ultimate ending, there’s a lack of activity on the forum. This isn’t only for Smashboards but message boards in general with many message boards going by the wayside. Back in the 2000’s/2010’s, the forum was very active but that started to decline around 2012/13. This has just been a continuous trend which more centralized sites being where a lot of Smash discussion occurs.

There’s also the possibility the thread runner is personally busy and has things going on. That always come before running a thread and having patience and understanding to why the thread may be in a slump rather than counter-productive quips will help the thread continue and encourage the thread runner.

Last edited:
It’s not the thread. With Smash Ultimate ending, there’s a lack of activity on the forum. This isn’t only for Smashboards but message boards in general with many message boards going by the wayside. Back in the 2000’s/2010’s, the forum was very active but that started to decline around 2012/13. This has just been a continuous trend which more centralized sites being where a lot of Smash discussion occurs.

There’s also the possibility the thread runner is personally busy and has things going on. That always come before running a thread and having patience and understanding to why the thread may be in a slump rather than counter-productive quips will help the thread continue and encourage the thread runner.
The thing what you said makes sense.
This thread is not dead, it's actually on hiatus I think?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The thing what you said makes sense.
This thread is not dead, it's actually on hiatus I think?
The thread would be on hiatus if the owner said it was on hiatus. There’s just not much activity going on/the owner has other things going/lost of interest. It happens a lot to threads on forums.

The thread would be on hiatus if the owner said it was on hiatus. There’s just not much activity going on/the owner has other things going/lost of interest. It happens a lot to threads on forums.
Yeah, so just like King for Another Day Round 3 thread by Torgo the Bear lost the Interest due to lack of updates.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
For the record, I've been meaning to keep going for a while now - I have my own HotD tracklist I want to submit - but I keep either getting distracted with other things or simply lacking the motivation. I acknowledge that this is the longest period of silence this thread has ever had, and for that I apologize. I've been slacking harder than ever lmao

I'll try to start things back up either later today or at least in the next couple days. But rest assured, this thread is still very much on my mind and we will keep going

For the record, I've been meaning to keep going for a while now - I have my own HotD tracklist I want to submit - but I keep either getting distracted with other things or simply lacking the motivation. I acknowledge that this is the longest period of silence this thread has ever had, and for that I apologize. I've been slacking harder than ever lmao

I'll try to start things back up either later today or at least in the next couple days. But rest assured, this thread is still very much on my mind and we will keep going
I think you were busy doing stuff for Christmas like buying presents or making Christmas dishes.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #115: James Taylor and Gary Stewart

E40F1C97-BBC8-422A-AE1D-2C65F04F3E51.png

James and Gary are the protagonists of House of the Dead 2. Two years after the Curien Mansion incident, the two AMS agents are sent to investigate Venice after yet another zombie outbreak occurs in the city.

Now you’re probably expecting James and Gary to just come on stage and start shooting the other fighters, emulating the light gun gameplay of the mainline HotD games. And I think that would be a great assist function for a HotD character… if our Virtua Cop assist didn’t already do the exact same thing. Plus, I have something way better in mind for these two, and it’s the main reason I went with them over someone like G. Instead of basing them on their HotD2 appearance, I’m going with the more unconventional pull of...

79AE2444-3098-4153-AB3B-DCE3396B61FB.jpeg

Yeah you heard me, this was a Typing of the Dead assist this whole time. For those not in the know, Typing of the Dead is a spin-off of House of the Dead which adapts the second game’s story. It’s basically the same game as the original, but instead of shooting zombies with a lightgun, you kill them by typing words as they appear on screen. Also instead of guns, the characters in the game carry Sega Dreamcasts on their backs with keyboards that they use to fight zombies. No I’m not making this up.

Yeah, this game is pretty ****ing out there even by House of the Dead spin-off standards. Keep in mind, this is the series where our main rep can explode things just by punching them. Even more shocking is that this is easily the most well-known and beloved of the series’ offshoots. People loved TotD for its creative concept and fun gameplay, and it did well enough to get a sequel game in 2007 and a companion game to House of the Dead: Overkill in 2013. Considering how much of a cult following this quirky edutainment take on the HotD formula has garnered, I feel like it really deserves some kind of representation in the form of an assist.

When summoned, James and Gary will pull out their Dreamcast keyboards and begin typing. As the two agents type, certain phrases will appear above the opponents’ heads. Once they’ve finished typing out a phrase, the foe will take damage. The assist will end after the duo have typed out four phases per character, and up to two fighters will be targeted at a time in matches where there are more than two opposing fighters. Also as a fun easter egg, each word and phrase will be related to the specific character they’re targeting. For example, if James and Gary target Sonic, you’ll see phrases such as “Hedgehog’s Dilemma” or “the fastest thing alive.”

Attachments

Last edited:
Job #155, AKA Job about HotD assist:
Zobio and Zobiko (House of the Dead DX)
1640204138936.png

Who are those monsters?

Zobio and Zobiko are Loving Pair from House of the Dead franchise, who debuted on House of the Dead DX game. They're both Monstrous zombies, who are in love (How romantic). Zobio is the huge guy and Prison Guard in the game universe, which his design resembles fusion between Frankenstein's Monster and a generic undead zombie, whil Zobiko is Blonde Zombie girl, who has crush on Zobio and she was a prisoner due to being thrown by Mad Doctor and she was freed by Zobio.
They are also cartoonish-looking Zombies, who appeared in Sonic and SEGA Allstars Racing, which they represented House of the Dead franchise and they drive Hotrod of Horrot, but later they appeared as Cameo on Graveyard Gig in Transformed, where they take wedding in near part of Curien Mansion.

What will they do as Assist characters?
When they're summoned, Zobiko goes in Background, but Zobio drinks his radioactive potion and becomes giant while his legs and feet are Visible. Zobio stomps down all opponents on stage, burying them down like in Smash. While walking back and forth, he also make stage shake, which it make fight more Intensive and Dynamic for players. He could also sometimes kick an Opponent, which it gives huge Knockback and insane damage (Wow, this huge fella would break the Game). While Zobiko, she could stay in Background and cheer for Summoner, which it doesn't give stats, but it encourages Zobio and Summoner to fight while Assist is still active (You know what I mean).
Zobio and Zobiko can't be KOed or Harmed when summoned.

Why as Assist Candidate?
Zobio and Zobiko are not very Iconic characters of the franchise, but they're popular HotD characters alongside HotD protagonists and they could fit as an Assist Duo, because of their decent popularity, but also because of being a fun assist for the Game due to Zobio stomping down Enemies and making a stage shake, so it could make match very intensive like I said Earlier. Besides that, Zobio and Zobiko could fit in the game, since they appeared in SaSAR as playable characters and they could return as Assists that can help you during fight.
So, why can't we just bring them back again, since the game is part of SEGA Allstars, y'know?
Maybe they're less known characters, but they can give you a helping hand by stepping down on players.

That's all I wanted to say about Zobio and Zobiko as Assist Characters in Battle of AGES.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #115: The Lovers Type-6805

1640241883658.png

The Lovers is one of the main boss creatures in House of the Dead 4 who fought against James Taylor and Kate Green. True to their codename, they are technically not one but two beings in a seemingly symbiotic relationship: The main body is a giant, female tarantula with four legs while a much smaller, male spider on her head acts as the main weak point and has a pair of enormous, spiky legs.

In a similar fashion to Rathalos in Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Lovers is an assist character who might as well be a boss due to its sheer size which can cover the large portions of small stages. When summoned, they will alternate between two attack patterns: when the female throws webbing at other fighters to slow them down, the male protects himself with his legs; and while the male tarantula slashes his prey, the female moves around the stage.

Despite the damage output, the Lovers is capable of, it's held back by being one of the slowest assist characters in the game to replenish its cooldown as well as its weak point mechanic: A single strong hit to the male tarantula's head will immediately KO it, though this may be easier to said than done in certain situations.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #115: Agent G

Agent-G.png

When summoned, Agent G will speed onto the stage in his car. The car can knock opponents into the air.

G will then step out of the car and perform the following:
  • Firing his magnum six times.
  • Swapping out to a sub-machinegun, emptying a clip in the process. Deals small damage but racks up quickly.
  • Swapping THAT out for a shotgun and firing two shots. Does solid damage if G is close to the opponent.
  • After the shotgun, he will whip out a minigun which he will fire until the thing overheats. Deals solid damage but will not fire for a long time.
  • He will then take out a pair of darts and throw it at the opponent. If it hits them, they will be pinned to the stage, with the dart 'hitting their foot' regardless of where the opponent was hit.
  • Lastly, a giant pinball will materialise and drop atop G, who will catch it before throwing it forward. The pinball will deal the most damage and can be used to edgeguard as it rolls off the side of platforms.

There's a 5% chance G's car will be replaced with the Ice Cream Truck from Overkill.

Pros of the assist:
  • Racks up insane damage if every shot hits
  • Able to edgeguard with the pinball
  • Darts can meteor smash as they 'pin' the opponent to the floor.
  • Juggles opponents
  • Can hit multiple opponents at once
Cons of the assist:
  • G will only fire in the direction the summoner was facing, so players must be careful when using him, otherwise G will be useless.
  • Distance from the opponent is important to land all these shots so there's an element of skill of when and where to use G.
  • If too far away when G starts firing the shotgun, the opponent will not be stunned, allowing them to escape the juggle
  • Likewise if the opponent is able to avoid the darts, they can easily escape the pinball due to it's long start up animation.
  • Whilst the pinball can edgeguard, timing is very much needed in order to be effective.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, voting is done! Let's take a look:

James and Gary: 12 points
Zobio and Zobiko: 2 points
Lovers: 2 points
G: 5 points

James and Gary will be our HotD assists!

That's it for House of the Dead stuff. Before our next character, here's one more job:

Job #116: Submit another minigame based on a SEGA property

That's right, we're going back to minigames! We're keeping the basis on SEGA stuff going - for reference, we're doing three of those so we have one more after this.

That said, I think it's worth noting that the Crazy Taxi minigame's way of playing with the core gameplay formula of this game is the recommended approach here. I'm just saying this cause most of the minigames we got last time diverged wildly from the core gameplay, and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, I think the Crazy Taxi minigame's approach would be the ideal way of doing things cause it feels more "conmected" with the rest of the game and, in my opinion, makes it so that we have to be a bit more creative with these minigames. Peace out

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
RC Car Pocket Circuit (Yakuza)
The gameplay of this mode is pretty much a copy of home run contest from Smash but without the bat and based on the RC cars from Yakuza. You start in an area where you have to do as much damage as possible too an RC car (that is now the size of a normal car) in five seconds. Afterwards, you do one big attack to launch the car forward onto a track where it will do a bunch of loops around based on the amount of damage you did. The higher the damage the more the loops and more loops give you a higher score. The angle you launch the car at with your big attack at the end also can change the amount of loops it does.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #116: Burning Rangers

4C28E607-8732-46BB-975B-EE8F2DA26C34.jpeg

Burning Rangers is a 1998 Sega Saturn game from Sonic Team about a group of futuristic fire fighters. Your main objective in each level is to put out fires and rescue civilians from burning buildings. When developing the game, Yuji Naka said that he wanted to create a game focused on saving people’s lives rather than killing them, which will be the main of this side-mode. If you wanna take a break from beating the tar out of each other and partake in some good ol’ fashion wholesome heroism, this is the mode for you!

This minigame is structured somewhat similarly to Smash 3DS’ Smash Run in that you’re exploring a large, labyrinth-like burning building with up to four players. You’re automatically equipped with a burning blaster, an item exclusive to this mode that helps you extinguish fires. Every time a fire is successfully put out, it’ll drop a few energy crystals. And what are these energy crystals used for, you might ask? For rescuing civilians, of course! Teleporting civilians to safety costs 5 energy crystals, and the main objective here is to rescue as many of them as possible while putting out all the fires. If you take damage, you’ll drop all of your energy crystals and have to pick them up before they disappear. You’re competing against other players to see who can rescue the most people and extinguish the most fires. Much like the Crazy Taxi mode, the civilians you rescue will be various SEGA characters who aren’t already playable. Also to emulate Burning Rangers’ voice-navigation system, there won’t be a map to tell you where you are. Instead, your menu guide (in this case, Professor Asobin or the original game’s navigator, Chris) will guide you in the right direction.

Once everyone’s finished putting out all the fires and rescuing civilians, you’ll all have to team up to face down against the boss whose been causing the destruction within the building. These will of course be randomly selected from the six bosses that are in our lineup. Once the boss is finished, the game is complete and you’ll be scored based on how well you did. Whoever racks up the most points saving civilians and putting out fires will be declared the winner. Also important to note that the music accompanying this mode during the firefighting section will be Angels With Burning Hearts or We Are Burning Rangers

Last edited:
Job 116:
Space Harrier (Resubmission)

The minigame is based on SEGA's Quiessistantial Arcade Titles released in 1985 by SEGA. It works like in Space Harrier game and also Sega Superstar Tennis, where you kill Enemies like IDAS or Dragons that are coming at you from afar.

But in Battle of AGES, it works like Fantasy Zone, which is 2D View, but you grab a shooting item and you attack Opponents that go at you like in Sega Superstar Tennis, where they attack you and you need to shoot them down while Flying on Platform.
While you reach the Boss, it changes the view to 3rd Person View, where you shoot at Boss like Squilla or even Syura if you're further. If you beat a boss, you go to next stage with more enemies.
The Minigame is actually Endless shooter, where there are Infinite of Stages. If you lose one Health, you die and the Game ends.

Each Character has unique stats like Eggman can have 2 Lives due to being a Heavyweight and Sonic has faster speed. Everyone has Cons and Pros, so the Minigame is balanced and fair to play.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
A mini-game you say based on a Sega property using the Battle of Ages basic mechanics as a base...?

It is time.

Time that is to say Good Morning!

Billy-Peek-a-boo.png

Job 116:
Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg

This game can be played in vs. all or team battle.
It can also be played on either 'timed' or 'First to hatch <insert number of players chosing> eggs'

Players must race to a nest to obtain an egg. There are two nests in each stage, allowing for two eggs to be hatched at once.
  • Once a player has an egg, the egg will stay in front of them as they run about.
  • The longer the player has the egg the bigger the egg will grow until it eventually reaches maximum size (roughly ten seconds). This is to stop a speedster like Sonic from having a completely unfair advantage by covering more ground than a slower one like Eggman or Selvaria would.
  • After holding onto the egg for five seconds at maximum size, the egg will hatch.
  • Rather than Billy's animal buddies, hatching the egg in Battle of Ages will cause an assist to be hatched from the egg who will then attack the other players, dealing damage.

Additional notes:
  • Players with the egg will be protected from the front by the egg if it is large enough, and are able to run opponents over with the egg if they have enough of a run up. However the egg can be dislodged from the player's hands by a well timed attack by an opponent who is about to be run over so be wary!
  • Eggs can be let go or picked back up again by pressing the grab button.
  • Eggs can be knocked off stage, resetting the egg back to one of the nests.
  • All attacks can be performed as normal, including All-Star moves. When an egg is caught in an All-Star move it'll break, resetting back to the nest.
  • Opponents can of course attack the player with the egg causing them to drop the egg. If you can wait for an opponent to get the egg to the maximum size, steal it from them and hold onto it for five seconds that could be an easy way to net some cheeky points!
  • Use your hatched assists ability to slow down your opponent and nab another egg!
  • Clever teams may want to have someone guard one of the nests whilst the other hatches in order to rack up fast efficient hatches and prevent the opponent from doing the same.
  • All assists are hatchable in this game. Yes. All of them. Some of their abilities will be more useful than others in this mode for their abilities, but as the round is settled by how many you hatch, get rolling and hatch them all!

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 116

Total War

This game mode is based on the Total War Franchises' Siege Battles.

The start of the game mode has each player participating make a settlement and an army, A Settlement consists of simple building parts and walls and Armies consist of Assists and siege weapons, Each player has a limited amount of credits to make a settlement and army.

Once every player is happy with their settlement and army you can siege and attack other players settlements. The siege portion has you and your army spawn on the left side attacking the players settlement on the right side. You can scale the walls and destroy the building using any means you can you can. But the owner of the settlement is also attacking with their army. You can win a siege by destroying the other sides army.

Your performance in a siege earns you more credits to expand your settlement and army.

This game mode can be played online with dozens of players and you can save your army and settlements.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg (let's make him less likely)
2. Pocket Circuit
3. Space Channel 5 (honorable mention goes to Burning Rangers)

Last edited:
Top Bottom