• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So I gotta say, this is a killer lineup so far - you people have way exceeded my expectations. However, when looking at what's eligible for this job and the things that have been submitted, there is a pretty notable blind spot I'm noticing. And now that the other pick I was considering (that being a Treasure rep) has already been submitted, the coast is clear for me to submit another character I think would be cool as ****. Introducing....

Job #87 - Second-Party SEGA Character: Cenes Crawford from Thunder Force V
PLAYSTATION--Thunder_Force_V_Perfect_System_Oct29_15_06_00.png

So first things first, what is Thunder Force?

Thunder Force is a series of shmups created by the now-defunct developer Technosoft. The series originally started as an obscure multi-directional overhead shooter, before transitioning into a horizontal shooter with its third installment. The series never exactly set the world on fire, but it has a significant following among retro gamers and is often held up as one of the finest shmup franchises of its kind. Unfortunately, as mentioned, Technosoft eventually went defunct. However, as of September 2016, SEGA now own the rights to all their properties. Not only does that mean we can include Thunder Force content in this project, but it also means that being an acquired franchise, it's eligible for this very job!

Generally, I think it'd be neat to make use of the fact that SEGA now own Technosoft's properties, and for my money, Thunder Force is definitely their most well-known and beloved IP that I know they own. A Technosoft rep isn't necessary for this roster, but it'd still be really cool to have.

Cenes herself is the main protagonist of the fifth game. Born in Berlin, Germany, Cenes is the head of the combat unit 222 and pilot of the RVR-01 "Gauntlet". While the previous Thunder Force games mainly focused on the ever-present conflict between the Galaxy Federation and the ORN Empire, the fifth game shifts the focus to Earth. On there, the wreckage of the Rynex ship from Thunder Force IV is discovered and renamed "Vasteel", with its technology reverse-engineered to better mankind. However, **** hits the fan when the Guardian, an advanced AI made for the aforementioned purpose, goes haywire and uses the tech it created from Rynex to wipe out the human race - but not before humanity manages to fight back with their own "Vasteel".

So why Cenes? Well the situation with playable Thunder Force representation is interesting. The other idea I've seen thrown around is just adding Rynex as a playable fighter, and suffice to say I'm not really fond of that idea. Like, at all. I'd personally just rather have something with a bit more character, and my personal choice for an Actual Character would be Cenes because while there are canon pilots for other ships in the series, including Rynex, I'd go with Cenes cause A. she's by far the coolest of all of them, and B. TFV is noticeably more story-heavy than the previous games, and as such Cenes is much more involved in the actual game, which makes her more visible of a protagonist, and thus, more well-known - rather than the other canon pilots who never really did much and honestly aren't that well-known and also are just kinda lame and kinda just exist to be the pilots of their respective ships besides some lore tidbits in the later games, meanwhile Cenes is more of her own defined character. Honestly while the various ships are definitely the most iconic general entity to the franchise, Cenes is probably the most iconic, like, Actual Character in the series.

So how could she fight? After all, she's a shmup character, she spends the game in a ship so she never really shows off much of her own combat chops. I still think you could easily spin something out of her, though. See, I was looking into how the Star Fox characters were implemented in Smash, and inspiration struck me when I saw the theories on how some of their moves seemed to be based on things the ships could do in Star Fox. And....that'd actually be a pretty dope way of implementing Cenes. Make her basically fight like a human RVR ship, give her a bunch of weapons that do the same stuff as all the different abilities you can get in the game, just make her this balls-to-the-walls bat**** crazy projectile character. This way, you can incorporate all the crazy shmup bull**** that comes with the territory while still adding someone with a bit more character than just A Ship.

Anyway yeah thank you for coming to my TED Talk. I just think Cenes would be extremely based and a really fun deep cut, and even if she doesn't win, it doesn't hurt to widen the pool of possibilities!

Did I mention that the Thunder Force games have some kickass music? Because they totally do.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alrighty then fellas, it's been a while: voting has now begun!

Here are your candidates:

Achilles ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Raidou Kuzunoha ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
Jack Cayman (@Darkonedagger)
Tembo ( osby osby )
Arle Nadja ( Flyboy Flyboy )
Vectorman ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Gunstar Red/Blue ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Ecco the Dolphin ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Jack Bros. ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Cenes Crawford (meeeeeeeeeeee)

Vote for your top 3 picks - keep your own submission in third place if you're going to self-vote.

1. Arle. Probably the single most overdue character not on our roster yet
2. Raidou. Same as what I said last time, I'd love to see him, he's my most wanted ATLUS character
3. The Gunstars. I just really really love Gunstar Heroes

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
1. Arle (Honestly really surprised it’s taken her this long to get in, but I guess it was just a matter of timing lol)
2. Jack Cayman (MadWorld is ****ing cool and it gets Steve Blum in the game)
3. Raidou (Of course)

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. Arle Nadja (I don't see any reason to not add her. A puzzle character would be fun and she seems like she'd have a fun moveset.)
  2. Ecco the Dolphin ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad did a great job at selling his concept to me. He'd also be a super unique addition.)
  3. Cenes Crawford (I dig the idea of a "driver/pilot" type character. I just learned about her but she seems like a cool character.)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Gunstar Red/Blue (Probably my most-wanted non-obvious candidate at this point)
2. Jack Cayman (Badass character, super unique deep cut, and being able to get both Mad World and Anarchy Reigns Jack in with the music? Chef's kiss.)
3. Arle Nadja (Self-vote, plus really she's just the big missing piece here)

I just want to say that this round is absolutely incredible because not only did we get a fantastic list of characters, this isn't even everyone who could have been eligible. Derek Stiles, Football Manager, and Asha are just a few characters I'd love to see nominated that just couldn't fit. I know Speed has his way of doing things so I'm not here to influence it but man I hope this prompt comes up again or at least the majority of these characters get their day in the sun in the future. What a lineup. I seriously wish I could double-vote here, especially for characters like Cenes Crawford, Raidou, or Ecco.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
1. Gunstar Heroes.
Personally, the idea of a modular moveset is interesting enough to me - and being one of my favourite Genesis games, I'm a little biased.

2. Arle Nadja
This just seems like an intensely logical, and possibly quite fun, choice to me. The idea of an actual puzzle rep aside from like, Dr. Mario, is hella cool to me - plus, Puyo Puyo is huge.

3. Cenes Crawford
Even if this were only for Thunder Force music, I'd still have her on my list. The idea of a Fox/Falcon like character in the modern era is incredibly interesting to me, and considering the potential there, she gets my vote.

I will say though, this prompt has brought some pretty interesting picks overall - Ecco, Raidou and Cayman stand out, and that's not not getting into other potential picks.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. Gunstar Red/Blue - One of my favourite Sega titles ever...maybe even my favourite video games ever, Red and Blue Gunstar have my bias in a headlock. Short of Alex Kidd or Tails(both of whom we got in already), these brothers are always going to be my number one vote. I just love the weapon combination mechanics.

2. Jack Cayman - Chainsaw good. Jack's a great anti-hero and I've been looking into both his games a lot recently.

3. Tembo, the Bad Ass Elephant - I've got a weird soft spot for both this and Hell Yeah's Prince Ash as being largely overlooked modern Sega titles featuring animals engaging in casual murder. Also I just saw Tembo can transform his trunk into a sledgehammer. That's enough to elevate him to third for me.

A hard round to vote for, but I'd like to throw special shout outs to both Cenes and the Jack Bros, two fighter options I knew nothing about prior to this round but managed to make third place a hard choice for me with the write ups.

YopAlonso

Smash Rookie
1. Arle (because come on, COME ON)
2. Tembo (because ELEPHANT)
3. Gunstars (because Treasure deserves recognition)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alllrighty then: the votes have come in! Drumroll please.....

Achilles: 0 points
Raidou: 5 points
Cayman: 10 points
Tembo: 3 points
Arle: 27 points
Vectorman: 4 points
Gunstars: 17 points
Ecco: 6 points
Jack Bros.: 5 points
Cenes: 7 points

And with that......our winner by quite the landslide and the next character to join Battle of AGES is none other than Arle Nadja!!!!!!!!!

Long overdue, innit?

Moving on:

Job #88: Submit a moveset for Arle

As usual, this is the first thing we do after adding a new character. This time I'll remind you all of the Sacred Formula:

-General playstyle overview
-Notable normal moves
-Specials and All-Star Move
-Misc. info, such as taunts and palette swaps and whatnot

Cheers!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)

Moveset:

General playstyle:
Arle is a lightweight character with average height and stamina. Her movement speed is below average across the board, with no additional movement techniques. While she has access to multiple projectiles, she usually can’t use them effectively to zone out her opponents unless they are even slower than her. Therefore, Arle needs to use her down special effectively with the rest of her moveset to gain stage control by placing Puyo block at strategic places and using them to her advantage, by which she can deal much higher damage than her meager normal attack damage and can trap her opponents for devastating damage.

Notable normal attacks:

Normal Attacks
All of Arle’s tilts and air attacks are simple kicks and slaps enhanced by magic, indicated by various fire, light and electric effects.

Smash Attacks
Forward Smash: Thunder. Arle puts her hands together and puts them in front of her, creating a multi-hitting ball of electric from them.

Up Smash: Judgement. Arle focuses and lifts her hand, creating a column of light in front of her. It has a lot of lag but also great vertical reach.

Down Smash: Blizzard. Arle thrusts her palms out, creating two snowflakes at the ground at both her sides. This attack hits multiple times and freezes opponents with low stamina.

Grabs

Arle will grab her opponents with magic, shock them for pummel and then use elemental spells to launch them.

Specials Moves
:

Neutral Special: Fireball. Arle sends a zigzagging fireball from her extended fingertip. The projectile deals small damage and burns the opponents. If it hits a Puyo block of her own, it leaves a flaming wall that stops projectiles and traps opponents by dealing contact damage.

Side Special: Heaven’s Ray. Arle swipes her hand and sends a small ball of light that moves forward as long as the special button is held. When the button is released, the sparkle shoots an arrow of light that travels diagonally downward, dealing moderate knockback. If it hits a Puyo block of her own, the block will explode into a burst of light, sending anyone caught into explosion towards where Heaven’s Ray came from.

Up Special: Mind Blast. Arle levitates in place before shooting up by sending waves of psychic energy from her hands downward. Travels a good distance but only vertically. Anyone caught in the initial burst will be meteor smashed. If it hits a Puyo block of her own, the block will disappear by leaving orange waves behind it, stunning anyone who comes near.

Down Special: Puyo Drop. Arle takes a thoughtful pose as two conjoined Puyo block appear above and in front of her. She can hold down the special button to keep them in place for about three seconds during which she can rotate them. When dropped, Puyo blocks are affected by gravity, dealing weak damage when falling and stay in place where they dropped for ten or so seconds. The color of the blocks is determined by player’s selected color palette so they can be red, blue, yellow, green, orange, pink, cyan or purple.

While Puyo blocks are not very useful by themselves, they greatly improve Arle’s other specials when connected, giving her incredible stage control ability when used correctly. If Arle connects four Puyo blocks of her own, she’ll receive a temporary boost to her smash attacks, as indicated by a fire in her hand. These blocks also explode when hit with a strong attack, dealing low damage to Arle and her teammates but high knockback to her opponents.

All-Star Move: Bayoen. Arle raises her hand and summons four large Puyo blocks to her sides, which stun opponents on contact. She then calls the name of her spell and a large column of light with sparkles and flowers in it raises from the ground, pulling in opponents and dealing continuous damage before launching them.

Other:

Aesthetics: Arle’s design is taken from her modern look in Puyo Puyo games. Her design is updated for 3D and therefore feature some texturing in her clothes. Arle’s color palettes are mostly taken from other playable characters in Puyo Puyo, respectively:

1634825081650.png

(Credit to @PK_King544)

Arle’s shield animation creates a blue magic circle in front of her, inspired by her Counter spell.

Entrance animation: Four Puyo blocks drop on to the stage and pop each other, revealing Arle behind them. She taps her foot impatiently before getting ready for the battle.

Taunts:
Taunt 1: Arle chuckles and makes a V sign.
Taunt 2: Arle creates a small flame at her fingertip before realizing it got too big and frantically putting it off
Taunt 3: Carbuncle appears and jumps at her feet. Arle excitedly waves at her.

Victory Theme: Chapter Clear

Victory Animations:
Victory 1: Carbuncle jumps into Arle’s hands and she laughs and spins him around., yelling “We did it, Carbuncle!”

Victory 2: A bunch of Puyo blocks jump around as Arle floats down among them and snaps her fingers, creating a burst of confetti around herself.

Victory 3: Arle yells “Yeah! Victory!” and jumps into the air, tripping at landing and catching herself at the last second. She nervously laughs and rubs the back of her head, giving a sheepish victory sign.

YopAlonso

Smash Rookie
I'm essentially doing a mass copy and paste from a moveset concept I've been making with my good friend Kaite20 over the course of 3 years. So, without further ado...!

JOB #88: Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo Series), Moveset concept by YopAlonso and Kaite20

Entrance Animation:
Falling from the sky. Arle falls from the sky, crash-landing into the course.

Standard Attacks:
  • Jab Combo: Punch and Kick (From: Fighter Arle, Puyo Puyo!! Quest)
    • Left hand Punch to the right, twirls around, then a roundhouse kick in the same motion.
  • Dash Attack: Door Kicking (From: Puyo Puyo BOX)
    • A punt kick while running. (like kicking a soccer ball)
  • Forward Tilt: Point Forward (From: Puyo Puyo series)
    • A flick of the hand pointing forward.
  • Up Tilt: Thunder (From: Puyo Puyo Fever)
    • Arle raises her arms and hits with an electric effect.
    • Reference: Ness (up tilt)
  • Down Tilt: Puyo Pop (Smash original based on the series’ main mechanic)
    • Pops a Puyo underneath, launches foes forward and away
    • Reference: Villager (down tilt)
  • Get-Up Attack: Spin Kick (Smash original)
    • Spin around and get up gracefully
  • Ledge Get-Up: Sweeping Kick (Smash original)
    • Get up and kick with a low sweep
Smash Attacks:
  • Side Smash: Fireball Blast (From: Sorcery Saga Final Exam)
    • Wind up and unleash a fiery explosion
    • Reference: Mario, Zelda
  • Up Smash: Judgement (From: Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary)
    • An ascending barrage of shocks that end up with one big blast
  • Down Smash: Mind Blast (From: Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary)
    • An AOE attack that’s low on damage and knockback but deals major damage to shields
Aerials:
  • Neutral Air: Counter (From: Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary)
    • A wide, quick attack in a bubble shape, can protect against other aerials
    • Reference: King K. Rool
  • Forward Air: Fireball Fling (From: Puyo Puyo Fever☆Two)
    • A burning attack by a quick fling-- baseball pitch motion, but with a finger point
    • Reference: Cream's command to Cheese in Sonic Advance 2
  • Back Air: Ice Storm Wave (From: Puyo Puyo Tetris)
    • A multi-hit slow cold attack
    • Reference: Rosalina & Luma (back-air)
  • Up Air: Arle Shield (From: Puyo Puyo~n)
    • Attack from below with a quick barrier above Arle. pencil pose
    • Reference: Cloud
  • Down Air: Tempest (From: Amitie, Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary)
    • Arle moves her hands down to then release a powerful spark that has a meteor effect if landed from above
    • Reference: Mii Brawler
Grabs and Throws:
  • Grab: With the hand (Smash original)
  • Pummel: Punch to the Gut (Smash original)
  • Forward Throw: Forward Fling (From: Sorcery Saga Saturn)
    • Throw them forward and up like a big bowling ball
    • Reference: Rosalina & Luma (back throw)
  • Back Throw: Melody Scale (From: Ally, Puyo Puyo Chronicle)
    • Toss them behind you with a bouncy twirl and music notes
  • Up Throw: Heaven’s Ray (From: Puyo Puyo Fever)
    • Fling them up, then assault them with a pillar of light
  • Down Throw: Algorithm (From: Ringo, Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary)
    • Smack them with a book
    • Reference: Sora
Special Attacks:
  • Neutral Special: Fireball (From: Puyo Puyo Tetris)
    • Unleash an explosive fireball that flies forward in a wavy motion.
  • Side Special: Ice Storm (From: Puyo Puyo!! 15th Anniversary)
    • AOE move: charge up, then unleash a barrage of icy flakes, the last flake freezes foes.
  • Up Special: Mind Blast Upper (From: Puyo Puyo~n)
    • A rising diagonal multi-hit. Its first hit deals heavy damage to shields.
    • Reference: Ganondorf (no grab)
  • Down Special 1: Diacute (From: Puyo Puyo, Sorcery Saga)
    • Starts the Chain on 1-Chain. Arle’s damage and knockback on her Neutrals and Specials is boosted by +0.1 on Chain 1, and every Neutral or Special she connects increases the Chain by 1. For every additional chained attack, Arle’s damage and knockback increase by +0.05 up until Chain 7 onwards, capping at a possible max of +0.5. The chain is instantly cut-off if Arle misses the next attack or gets hit. Grabs and throws don’t increase the Chain counter, while multi-hits like her back-air or up-Smash only increase it by 1. The charge ends on its own if Arle doesn’t connect an attack for 15 seconds.
  • Down Special 2: Judgement Rush (From: Puyo Puyo Tetris 2)
    • Burst attack that uses the stored Chain from Diacute to unleash a barrage of explosions in front of her. The effect is its weakest at 1-Chain, and the strongest at 7-Chain onwards. Using Judgement Rush ends the Diacute boost.
  • All-Star Move: Bayoen (From the Puyo Puyo series, inspired in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2)
    • Hits her foes with a leap jump, then twirls over them leaving a trail of flowers behind her that traps her foes in a barrage of hits, leading into a spinning pose that makes the flowers explode, sending her foes upwards and away
Taunts:
  • Up Taunt: Drops a Garbage Puyo on her head, with Arle scratching her head afterwards in reference to Puyo Puyo’s title screen
  • Side Taunt: She waves her hand with a peace sign and a wink in reference to her Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 victory animation
  • Down Taunt: Carbuncle shows up and runs around Arle as she follows him around
Alternate Costumes:
  • Default (Blue): Blue clothes, light blue armor, gold eyes, orange hair
  • Rulue (Pink): Pink clothes, pink armor, turquoise eyes, light blue hair
  • Schezo (White): Dark purple clothes, silver armor, dark blue eyes, white hair
  • Amitie (Yellow): Rose clothes, cyan armor, green eyes, blonde hair
  • Ringo (Red): Red clothes, yellow armor, green eyes, red hair
  • Ally (Green): Green clothes, lime armor, aquamarine eyes
  • Doppelganger Arle (Dark Red): Red clothes, red eyes, red-tinted brown hair
  • Classic Arle (Brown): Dark blue clothes, blue armor, orange eyes, brown hair

Victory screen
  • Carbuncle hops on Arle’s back as she does a peace-sign, saying “We’re number one!”, recreating their victory pose from 15th Anniversary (available on Team Battle)
  • Carbuncle bounces around Arle, up until she catches him mid-air as she says “We did it, Carby!”, mimicking their art from Puyo Puyo Quest’s Arle & Carbuncle 6☆ card (available on Team Battle)
  • A dramatic zoom-in to her face, as she enthusiastically raises her arm, vigorously, recreating her pose in the final screen of the original Puyo Puyo, yelling either “Yes!” or “Big victory!”
  • Victory theme: Final Results! (Story Clear)
Miscellaneous
  • If Arle uses a spell (up-Smash, down-Smash, neutral B, side B) immediately after using Diacute, she’ll say the name of the attack with a repeat effect, similar to how she does in Sorcery Saga.
    • This also applies to her All-Star Move, where she’ll say the name of the attack with a repeat effect, but this doesn’t alter the damage of the attack; it’s only aesthetic.
    • Additionally, when using down-tilt mid-combo, the popped Puyo will make a different sound depending on the current Chain number.
  • The book she uses to slam her foes with her down-throw is the same book from Puyo Puyo Chronicle.
  • Her pose when calling Assists to the stage is the same pose she strikes when using a friend’s Super Ability in Puyo Puyo~n.
    • Coincidentally, it’s also the same pose used for items that are held up above her.
  • The way she holds other items, like weapons in Smash Bros. such as Death’s Scythe or the Beam Sword, is reminiscent of how she holds staves in promotional art of the Sorcery Saga series.
  • When her shield breaks, Arle stands dizzy, referencing her modern defeat animations, but mostly inspired by her defeat animation in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2.
Stats (for the interested one, based on the Smash stats):
  • Air acceleration (Wii Fit Trainer)
    • Base: 0.01
    • Additional: 0.08
    • Max: 0.09
  • Air speed: 1.1 (Joker)
  • Fall speed
    • Regular Fall: 1.48 (Pit)
    • Fast Fall: 2.16 (Zelda)
  • Percent Increase: 60%
  • Gravity: 0.081 (Pit)
  • Jump Height
    • Full Hop: 34.3 (between Pac-Man and Bowser Jr.)
    • Short Hop: 15.15 (between Ryu and Zelda)
  • Air Jump: 32.3 (Mii Gunner)
  • Jump Duration
    • On Full Hop: 48 (Ike)
    • On Short Hop: 34 (Dr. Mario)
  • Weight: 95 (Roy)
  • Landing: 4
  • Walk Speed: 1.155 (Shulk)
  • Run Speed: 1.84 (Hero)
  • Dash Turnaround: 7 frames
  • Grab Range: 12 (average)
  • Wall Jump: No
  • Crawl: No

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
It’s been a hot minute since I’ve submitted art, so here’s some fresh submissions!

DF386C0C-6950-4935-8587-93223312CF5D.png

Puyo Pop Princess
Series: Puyo Puyo
Origin: Full artwork from the 1992 Mega Drive boxart of Puyo Puyo. Found on the Compile Gallery 123 CD, which contains a ton of Puyo Puyo and Madou Monogatari artwork. Probably a good source to pull more classic Puyo art from in the future.

DACE0209-E62F-4A13-857F-6B9DFA274E94.jpeg

Phantasy Heroes
Series: Phantasy Star
Source: From the Phantasy Star Collection, an artbook comprised of artwork from the original four Phantasy Star games.

B83E6192-0EE5-4963-BD5A-880798B00E9D.jpeg

Dancing Every Night
Series: Persona
Origin: Promotional illustration by Shigenori Soejima for the Persona 5 and Persona 3 dancing games. I’m almost certain there was a livestream of Soejima drawing this, if I can find it I’ll probably link back to it here.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm so sad that my Arle moveset wasn't coming together, because I was really hoping to get a set of alts that were something like...

1. Arle
2. Classic Arle/Madou Monogatari
3. Amitie (Puyo Puyo Tetris)
4. Ringo (Puyo Puyo Tetris)
5. Dark Arle
6. (A recolor perhaps)
7. Red Amitie
8. Puyo Puyo 7 Ringo

Still, perhaps I can get Ringo in this dealio somehow.

Anyway, I have a capsule toy idea...

Old Man Owl (Variant 1) (Variant 2)
  • Series: Sonic the Hedgehog
  • First Appearance: Sonic The Hedgehog OVA/"The Movie" (1996)
  • System Debut: Anime
Description: An old man who flies to Sonic's home in the Land of the Sky to deliver a message from the President - that the villainous Dr. Robotnik wishes to speak with him! He is scatterbrained and accident-prone, crashing his rocket on his way to talk to Sonic and needing to be rescued. He agrees to look over Sonic's home while he and Tails are away, but after an incident with Hyper Metal Sonic ends up...wearing Sonic's favorite clothes?!

Last edited:
Non-VG capsule toy submittion:

Zooey the Fox

• Series: Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic Boom
  • First Appearance: Sonic Boom (TV series)
  • System Debut: CGI Cartoon

Description: Zooey the Fox or Vixen is character from Sonic Boom sub-Franchise and she is Tail's crush. When Tails met her, he fell in love, because she was beautiful for Him. Zooey also met Tails while buying Watermelons in shop. She is also big fan of Justin Beaver and his music. She didn't appeared in any game and that's a shame, but at least she is appearing as Capsule Toy in your Collection.

Puyo Puyo Capsule Toy, eh?

Draco Centauros (Based on her modern look)

• Series: Puyo Puyo
  • First Appearance: Madou Monotagari 1-2-3 (June 15, 1990)
- System Debut: MSX2

Description: Draco Centauros is a character from Puyo Puyo series and she is Half-Dragon, Half-human and she can fight with her Fisticuffs and Dragon's flame breath skills. She doesn't have magic, but she has draconian power inside her body! Plus, you can fight her in Puyo Puyo games like Classic Puyo Puyo or even Puyo Puyo Tetris. She has cool Asian-like outfit and Dragonian style, isnt this great?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I too plan to make some non-video game Sonic character capsule submissions:

Dr. Starline
  • First Appearance: Sonic the Hedgehog #11
  • System Debut: IDW Sonic the Hedgehog Comic
Description: This self proclaimed genius platypus is Dr. Eggman's biggest fan, and has modelled his life around following in his footsteps. Using his Warp Topaz, a gemstone with otherworldy properties, Starline can creates portals to anywhere he seems fit, and uses this power to collect the seven chaos emeralds and find an amnesiac Dr. Eggman, returning his memories and becoming Eggman's apprentice in the process.
The two soon have a falling out however as Dr. Eggman fails to live up to Starline's perfect vision of him, and after his attempt to fix a botched Eggman plan only makes things worse, Eggman and Starline part ways.
Since then, Starline has dedicated himself to getting back in Eggman's good graces, and even become his better in the process, creating weapons such as the tricore, a multitool gemstone that allows him Sonic's speed, Tails' flight and Knuckle's strength, a hypnotising gemstone and even two bio creations, using the DNA of both Sonic the Hedgehog and Tails.

Tangle the Lemur
  • First Appearance: Sonic the Hedgehog #4
Description: An endlessly optimistic and friendly ring tailed lemur, Tangle is a resident of Spiral Hill Village, and became it's protector during the Eggman Empire's planetary takeover. Naturally adventurous, upon meeting Sonic and teaming up with him briefly she realises she wants excitement and adventure in her life, battling Eggman's forces at every opportunity. Her special weapon is her tail which is able to stretch to incredible lengths and powerful enough to smash up badniks with ease.

Whisper the Wolf
  • First Appearance: Sonic the Hedgehog #8
Description: An introverted sniper wolf who speaks exclusively in her namesake's soft tones, Whisper was once part of an anti-Eggman specialist unit, the Diamond Cutters, during the Eggman war. Her teammates were sold out by one of their own, a shapeshifting octopus known as Mimic. She now carries the Wisps who fuelled the weapons of her former comrades with her, and seeks revenge on both Mimic and Eggman for what they took from her. Whisper is known as the "Guardian Angel of the Battlefield" and is responsible for saving Silver the Hedgehog's life at least twice during the Eggman war. She and Tangle became firm friends, in part due to Tangle's natural charisma.

Genuinely, do go and read the IDW comics if you haven't yet because it's easily the best thing that came out of Sonic Forces. Some Youtubers have uploaded the individual volumes and it is quite the ride if you want to catch up in a hurry, but obviously IF you can try and support the creators.
Whisper and Tangle have even been added to Sonic Forces Speed Battle which I guess makes them semi-game canon Sonic characters now.

Last edited:
You know what? I'm gonna do something else about Capsule toys:

- Squilla (Space Harrier)

- Series:
Space Harrier
- First Appearance: Space Harrier
- System Debut: Arcade

Description: This Chinese-like Dragon known as Squilla, is a Boss from Space Harrier from Arcades and it appears on Last stage of Green Planet. There are more Species of Squillas like Godarni (Conjoined) and the Skeletal one on Desert Planet. It's Species are located on Space Harrier's Galaxy and even Dragon Land that they live. Only one Dragon species that doesn't have relations with Squillas is Uriah, Harrier's Dragon. There is also cool thing in them that one of them appeared in Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed as Cameo along with iconic Space Harrier.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, voting is closed: YopAlonso's moveset for Arle wins!

Moving on:

Job #89: Submit a Puyo Puyo stage

So as usual, this is the thing we do next when it comes to incorporating a new series. You know how it works by now, so that's it, pretty much. I will say also I am allowing locations that technically originate from Madou Monogatari for this job but regardless, it'll be counted as a Puyo stage.

Job 89:
Primp Town

Primp town is one of Locations in Puyo Puyo universe. It's a Town, where Arle Nadja lives and meets her friends.

As Stage, it would be Walk-off stage in this town and the Main Hazard could be falling puyos from sky and if they link, they explode like Stuff in Micheal Bay's films, which it gives huge damage. The Cameos are Ringo, Amitie, Raffina, Draco and Dark Prince, who watch the Battle.

YopAlonso

Smash Rookie
knucks crackles
JOB #89: Grimp

The first world inside the book, introduced as Ally's homeplace in Puyo Puyo Chronicle, and the world where Arle is sucked into at the beginning of Chronicle. As a stage, it hovers above the town of the same name and Grimp Forest, having elements borrowed from the Forest itself, such as stairways, high ground and lush scenery.

Cameos from other iconic characters, such as Amitie, Ringo, Sig, Lemres or the Dark Prince show in the stage's backdrop, fighting Puyo battles. Ocassionally, Garbage Puyo drop on the stage, falling down and damaging characters if they get hit by them. The Garbage Puyo that fall or that are on the stage can be destroyed with simple attacks.

(Another stage that could work would be the Dark Prince Tower, with scenery in the background making homage to the battle screens of Puyo Puyo 2.)

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 89

Puyo Puyo

This stage resembles a standard game of puyo Puyo with the tops of each chamber open to the blast zone and a hallway in the middle connecting the 2 Chambers.

Each chamber will have puyos drop down into it, if a puyo falls on top of you, you take damage, you also take damage if a line of puyos is completed and disappear. Junk pieces also fall down and deal extra damage

The character portraits in the middle are a random combination of 2 Puyo Puyo characters

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 89: Satan's Tower (Puyo Puyo Tsuu)
1635038872645.png

In Puyo Puyo Tsuu, Arle Nadja has to fight her way up a tower run by the Dark Prince himself, Satan, performing Puyo battles against various underlings as she goes. I'm choosing a level based around this game specifically as it is one of the most popular games in the series, with massive eSports tournaments being held for it both back in the day and even in modern times.

The concept for the stage is somewhat complex...In the background, Arle in her classic Tsuu sprite form has Puyo battles with various members not just of the Tsuu cast but from characters throughout the entire series, also in sprite form. This will allow for many, many cameos and also give it a fun retro flavor. After all, the Genesis version was the most arcade-accurate port way back when, but the series has expanded heavily so we can use Tsuu's stylings to make something that still pays tribute to various games in the series. Plus it's cute to see the little sprites do their fun animations at each other.

1635039908147.png

Here's a picture of Puyo Puyo Tsuu, because you gotta love that lovely deep palette.
The stage starts on a ground floor where Arle fights a weak enemy. Imagine the cutscene sprites and animations, but with Puyo Puyo playfields next to them. Whenever someone in the background forms a Puyo chain, Garbage Puyos fall onto the stage where the competitors are fighting. After a brief period and Garbage Puyos have mounted up (though they can be destroyed with attacks), the battle is won, and she moves on to her next battle. When she moves on to the next battle, a new platform descends from the sky, allowing just enough time for players to jump onto it before the previous floor, Garbage Puyos and all, fall into the void. The new platform is slightly shorter than the previous one, making things more perilous as the fight goes on until the competitors have barely any room at all. This is meant to evoke how tense Puyo battles can get with each difficulty level and provide a fun and challenging always-changing stage.

The background is also changing as Arle climbs the tower, getting to darker locales after a set of around eight battles until she faces off against the final opponent, Satan. There is however a rare chance it'll be Masked Satan instead. After Arle defeats him, she does a victory dance, and the stage whooshes down to the ground floor to reset the cycle.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Top Bottom