• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's face it, Brawl = Next Mario Party, huge dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexEagle

Smash Rookie
haha, the game has only been out for like a day and a half, chill on your first impressions. Look how much different the N64 smash is compared to melee, im sure you hated melee when you first played it after the N64. and people loved melee, so all of you haters will probably love brawl too.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Its a good game, in fact it's very fun, and it will garner great rankings from nearly every site.
Then stop complaining about it.

Brawl is just another Mario Party. Its a fun multi-player game, nothing more, nothing less.
How can you even compare the two? This just saddens me.

-The game is so slow now that its almost a joke
The game is NOT that much slower. In fact, it may be faster with Sonic in it.

-Skill components have been removed (Wavedashing, L-Cancelling, etc.)
...ok, well, yes, wavedashing is out but it wasnt even meant to be in in the first place, but you already said you dont mind that, so I wont continue talking about wavedashing. L-canceling, however, call me crazy, but I accually like how it's gone. Because with L-canceling in, there was almost no difference between the lag of Bowser's attacks and Shiek's attacks when they land, and the lag in the moves is what makes up a speed, so then what would be the point of anyone being slower or faster anyways? Maybe Im explaining this poorly, but yea... It makes sense that every character should accually have different lag times

-All the players have been downgraded and Nintendo didn't want anyone to dominate.
Why the heck would Nintendo, or anyone else for that matter, want any one or two characters to dominate a fighting game? Brawl is extremely well balanced and that is a great thing. And not all the players have been downgraded, I just think you're not used to the changes. But keep in mind, not all changes are nerfs.

-You grab the edge practically every time, its like magnetic almost
Sounds like you're mad that you can't keep your opponent off the stage. Seriously, this isn't a bad thing either, in my opinion it makes the fight more exciting.

-Great combo's = gone because of slow free fall
This is where I started questioning whether or not you accually even played the game. Of course, some properties of the melee characters are different so not EVERY combo that worked in melee will work the same way in brawl, but there are so many awesome combos it's not even funny, you just need to play to learn them.

-You can airdodge continuously
How in the world is this a bad thing? It adds an entire new component to the game and creates for much more intenese air combat.

-Disastrous and awkward load times
Maybe your wii just sucks cuz I don't see any problems in load time.

I am sure there are others like me out there...
I'm sure there are too, but I just dont understand it. I dont understand how someone can accually play brawl and say it's worse than melee. It makes NO SENSE and hopefully you'll understand this.

It sounds like you're only complaining because you suck at the game but thats just me

[/rant]

Kietharr

Smash Cadet
I don't see the huge difference between Brawl and Melee, they just removed a few exploits (introducing a few more), very slightly nerfed a few characters, and tweaked the physics. It will take some getting used to but it does NOT feel like mario party. The only thing I'm really noticing is Pit is wayyyy overpowered, he deals a ton of damage, moves extremely fast and has unheard of recovery, the sole disadvantage is him being very light which is easily fixed with proper shielding and dodging.

Repryx

Smash Champion
You sir

A. are getting owned at this game

B. Cant accept change

C. Are incredibly impatient

or

D. Got out-smarted by the lvl 9 cpu

No Johns

-Ciao

Ca$hoholic

Smash Journeyman
The Cold north! even though it is pretty hot...
excuse me, but how is a more defensive game more exciting????

i agree that the game is much more defensive, which leads to more standoffs, camping, and boredom.

I can't even begin to tell you how much camping I've seen already...
Like someone once sai defence is the best offence!
no, A defansive game is just as fun as an offansive game, just less offansive <,<

TelQuel

Smash Cadet
haha, the game has only been out for like a day and a half, chill on your first impressions. Look how much different the N64 smash is compared to melee, im sure you hated melee when you first played it after the N64. and people loved melee, so all of you haters will probably love brawl too.

I too started off lamenting the loss of competitiveness in Smash Brawl but with time my opinions are changing. I have seen videos now that give me hope that I just need to learn the movement of the new game better. I played 64 smash competitively and so I was so opposed to melee at first because originally there were not the same advanced techs and it seemed to me to be too flukey a game where the B-button dominated. But with time I learned how to play melee properly and ended up finding it a far better competitive game. I think that Brawl may offer a similar experience. I may try to upload some videos of myself soon once I get a few bugs worked out.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
The removal of wavedashing simply got rid of a style of play by glitching that too many people got used to. There is the same amount of skill competition that brawl provides, it just needs to be expressed in a different style of play.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
The removal of wavedashing simply got rid of a style of play by glitching that too many people got used to. There is the same amount of skill competition that brawl provides, it just needs to be expressed in a different style of play.
QUOTED FOR MUTHALUVIN TRUUTH!!

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
honestly, i agree with the OP in almost everything he said.

i dont think the smash brawl community will be nearly as competitive or huge as melee. i dont think it will last as long either.

that said, its still a very fun game. but the OP does make good points. but the game certainly doesnt suck

like the OP i wish nintendo didnt slow down the game and remove so many technical aspects. with melee, you would continue to get better at the game for many years just because of technical improvement and speed. doesnt seem like this will happen in brawl

i hope its wrong though, and we find out that there are actually alot of crazy technical things for competitive play.

ManCarrot

Smash Cadet
Once you play the game for more than 15 hours figuring out how to ADJUST to the game, you will realize how incredible it is. Don't like it then please don't come on smash boards and make this waste of Internet space to complain about the game. Srsly if it hurts your wittle heart that much then please proceed with Melee and GTFO of smash boards. Don't let the log out button hit you where your mom should have kicked you. When the Hell will people realize that this game isnt a Melee2? Its a completely NEW different GAME. So what they took out wave dashing, now we have air dodging. And frankly they way you can air dodge in different directions on the run makes the battles THAT much fun.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
i, for the most part, agree. nothing will ever replace melee in my eyes. the game was the perfect competitive multiplayer experience. brawl could never have lived up to it in the first place.

i think it's too early to say for sure if brawl is a complete failure. let's give it some time, maybe combos can be discovered. brawl is a hell of a lot of fun though. but i just get sad that im not playing melee instead. i want melee to live forever, as ive gotten so good at it but now theres virtually no one to play. i hope melee tournys continue to happen, as i will probably keep playing it.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
First of all, I am a huge Nintendo fanboy. I am older than many of you and have owned almost every Nintendo console: SNES, N64, GC, Wii, even 2 gamesboys, and I've played almost every franchise game Nintendo has ever made. I also have an Xbox360 for online sports games/COD4.

Lets face is, Nintendo makes the BEST games. Period. With Nintendo you get a very high quality product. I trusted in Nintendo all these years, and they NEVER disappointed.

Me and my 6 roommates play Melee like a sport. We even have our own weekly power-rankings.
I had briefly played the Japanese version of the game before, but tonight confirmed what I already knew.

Brawl is a failure in my eyes. Its a good game, in fact it's very fun, and it will garner great rankings from nearly every site. This isn't meant to be a troll/bait thread, I truly feel this way, and I'm sure that anyone that loves Melee will feel the same way. This game just makes me sad. I don't think I will play it anymore personally. Sure it has slightly better graphics, but its the gameplay that suffers.

Brawl is just another Mario Party. Its a fun multi-player game, nothing more, nothing less.

-The game is so slow now that its almost a joke
-Skill components have been removed (Wavedashing, L-Cancelling, etc.)
-All the players have been downgraded and Nintendo didn't want anyone to dominate.
-You grab the edge practically every time, its like magnetic almost
-Great combo's = gone because of slow free fall
-You can airdodge continuously
-Disastrous and awkward load times

I am sure there are others like me out there...I've been on this board many times as a lurker, but tonight I had to join to voice my disgust. I don't know about you guys, but I'll be playing Melee for a LONG time to come. Also please don't say I'm judging the game too early, because I Played the Japense one before too.

Smash+Nintendo run In my blood, and please don't judge me or my credibility by my post count. Most of my roommates like it, to my suprise, but I want to see if anyone else is on my side..
That just about sums up my thoughts. Now I know, everyone is gonna be like "well don't play if you don't like it." But seriously, I'm confused as to why nintendo chose to tear down the greatness they created and rebuild as opposed to building ON TOP OF IT and making it deeper, faster, and more complex.

Instead, they made it slower, took away character differences, and destroyed the ground game. Sure, there's more air options now with all the floatiness (like luigi in melee... you can get extra attacks in) and less hitlag means more frames of attack... but it also means less combos, less chasing, more defensive gameplay, more camping...

AND WHAT THE HELL IS WITH TRIPPING!?!?!??! WHAT A HORRIBLE IDEA!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna play... But Melee is a much deeper game. I can feel Melee, so deep in myself... there's so much depth, so many options per second, sooo much speed, so much intensity..

Brawl just doesn't have that. It stays on the surface. There will be some more depth, sure, it's only been out for a little bit. BUT, it simply can't reach the depth of melee, due to the game mechanics. If you don't understand what I mean, you weren't that deeply involved in Melee. You can just tell. There's many many many less options per second.

Some people may understand and simply disagree, which is fine. But most people can't understand what we mean when we say we're disappointed with Brawl... it took a step back. I fully expected it to be much different than melee, certainly not "Melee 2". I just expected it to build upon the speed and intensity that had been previously established in the franchise.

Instead it's watered down. Fun, flashy, and new... but there's just not as much to it.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
Oh and sorry to double post, but it also kills me that you can't dash dance. I've played Brawl for over 20 hours and still find myself trying to dash dance... it's just so basic... ground movement is still really awkward.

AND the edge game really suffers with the insane edge grabbing. You have to go waaaay out there to ledgeguard, so far that it's too risky.

Anyone ever play burnout? I love how that game rewards you for taking high risks... come close to a head on collision, get extra turbo. Drive in the opposite lane, get extra turbo. Melee felt like that... push it, take risks, get crazy kills. Brawl makes it so that when you try to take those risks, you crash every time. So you stop taking the risks and turtle, spam, and stay defensive.

Zyphent

Smash Apprentice
If I may....

How is this different from melee?

You say the skill components have dissappeared. They haven't.
They changed them.

God forbid you should learn new skills/tactics instead of carrying over the ones you've picked up from melee.

God forbid.

Stampede412

Smash Rookie
Wow, the guy that made this thread is a brave man. Come into a ssbb forum and bash it is pretty ballsy. But sayign it's another mario party is taking it a little far.

But, it's just an opinion guys. And to be honest I'm not going to completely swear off SSBB, but I was a little disappointed myself with my first impression. I was so excited to get home and play it and after about 2 hours (and encountering some of the gripes the guy who made this thread was talkinga bout) i quit playing to go play a pickup game of basketball.

Little disappointing considering I figured I was going to be consumed in the game all afternoon (like ssbm) but instead I got incredibly bored. My first impression has left me believing the game didn't live up to the hype. But, that may change as I get deeper into the game and play for a while longer.

6footninja

Smash Ace
This would go much better if people would view Brawl as a different game, instead of "melee 2.0". I have brawl, I played melee and was practically addicted to it for a couple months. I just got back into smash, and im very satisfied with Brawl.

- also the load times aren't bad at all. People here were speaking of it like it was much worse than it actually is.

6footninja

Smash Ace
If I may....

They changed them.

God forbid you should learn new skills/tactics instead of carrying over the ones you've picked up from melee.

God forbid.
You sir, are my hero

thumbswayup

Smash Master
If I may....

They changed them.

God forbid.
You clearly didn't play melee competitively, so you wouldn't have any clue or slightest voice in this matter. just because brawl is fun, does not make it challenging. that makes it less interesting and less skill demanding.

I'll illustrate my point using movies. take the movie shoot 'em up: it's a stupid, ridiculous, and convoluted mess, but i admit to enjoying it because i took it for what it was. it was fun, but it wasn't interesting. now take the film no country for old men and you have a complex, fascinating, masterful movie which requires higher intellect and attention span than shoot 'em up. it's not even close as to which i'd rather see again and again. games are the same way. the more you are required to perform in a game, and the faster you have to execute these actions, the more interesting it will become. that is why melee was NEVER boring, just frustrating at times. i could play it 8 hours a day everyday. now brawl i get bored with after a couple of hours and that may be because im new to it. still, it's obvious brawl has little to no competitive value COMPARED to melee. its almost a little kid's verion of smash and that's what's upsetting. i'll still play it, mostly because everyone is dropping melee for it so i really dont have a choice.

Zyphent

Smash Apprentice
You clearly didn't play melee competitively, so you wouldn't have any clue or slightest voice in this matter. just because brawl is fun, does not make it challenging. that makes it less interesting and less skill demanding.

I'll illustrate my point using movies. take the movie shoot 'em up: it's a stupid, ridiculous, and convoluted mess, but i admit to enjoying it because i took it for what it was. it was fun, but it wasn't interesting. now take the film no country for old men and you have a complex, fascinating, masterful movie which requires higher intellect and attention span than shoot 'em up. it's not even close as to which i'd rather see again and again. games are the same way. the more you are required to perform in a game, and the faster you have to execute these actions, the more interesting it will become. that is why melee was NEVER boring, just frustrating at times. i could play it 8 hours a day everyday. now brawl i get bored with after a couple of hours and that may be because im new to it. still, it's obvious brawl has little to no competitive value COMPARED to melee. its almost a little kid's verion of smash and that's what's upsetting. i'll still play it, mostly because everyone is dropping melee for it so i really dont have a choice.

Thats your problem though, you're constantly comparing it to Melee. The gamepley mechanics have changed, and you're still clinging to the melee ones, so you insult these changes, the game has changed, so your playstyle must change with it, I can understand reluctance to want to drop melee's more fast-paced playstyle, but Melee is Melee, Brawl is Brawl.

They didn't try and make the game like a Kid's version of smash, its a DIFFERENT version, and thusly it plays differently, adjust your playstyle to suit these changes, or go back to melee.
I know my competitive playing-friends still play both, and there will still be Melee tournaments, albiet less plentiful.

Edit: basically what I got out of what you said is that you're upset that Super Smash Brothers : Brawl, isn't, Super Smash Brothers : Melee 2

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I'm not going to say that you're wrong, because I have no way of proving it. I, however, am very satisfied with Brawl.

There are still great combos and load times aren't half as bas people make them seem.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
This would go much better if people would view Brawl as a different game, instead of "melee 2.0". I have brawl, I played melee and was practically addicted to it for a couple months. I just got back into smash, and im very satisfied with Brawl.
The fact of the matter is, here's smash:

Smash 64 = Smash 1.0
Melee = Smash 2.0
Brawl = Smash 3.0

1.0 to 2.0
Z cancelling became L cancelling, dash dancing stayed in, teching stayed in, they added wavedash (accident or not it added lots of depth), gave spikes to more characters, kept the intense edgegame, increased physics related differences between characters, game speed went through the roof, made it overall bigger and prettier.

2.0 to 3.0
took out cancelling altogether, took out wavedash due to new dodging/physics system (which is okay... BUT --->), took out dash dancing completely which really hurts the ground game, made characters randomly fall over, game speed is slowed almost to smash 64 levels, got rid of physics differences between characters, made everything floaty, made the effects of fastfalling much less, killed the edgegame, made the game overall bigger and prettier, put it online, made a decent 1 player game out of it.

There's certainly more but that's basically my view of it, a couple days later. Generally you expect some continuity from game to game, a BUILDING UPON the successes of the past. Not a systematic tearing apart of them. From 1.0 to 2.0, they built upon it. 2.0 to 3.0 is like a step backwards... as stated above, like making smash into a kid's game.

People like to spike over the edge... people like to dashdance, wavedash, shinespike, edgeguard, combo, crouch cancel... 'well we can't have any of that, my god!!! What about the poor noobs and novices!?!? We know everyone will buy the game no matter what we do, let's cater to the casual crowd.'

The casual crowd would buy the game and eat it up EVEN IF they kept all the depth. Just because some people are mindbogglingly good doesn't mean that people who are not so good can't enjoy the game. I loved melee before I knew about the advanced stuff, it was great fun.

I simply don't understand the elimination of such options.

And yes, I need to vent, and you need someone to hate. So flame away.

Kaid`

Smash Rookie
They took things out of smash64 and added new things to melee.
They took things out of melee and added new things to brawl.
As the years come new things will be discovered.

What's the problem again?

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
Okay. So if Brawl isn't like an expansion pack of Melee then it sucks. To all of you people being ******* and protecting this guy while being flamers and total morons, go cut yourself. To the troll who started this, nice job man, nice job.

just1111

Smash Journeyman
you are the dumbest person ever OP.... learn to play brawl before you diss it... you just ****in suck at the game.

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
@Topic
I understand what you are saying and i partly agree, yet to make it short:

Brawl still has a competive (?) aspect. Of course the gameplay is slower, but that's how it is. Everyone has the same possibilities in brawl, like everyone had in melee, and experience is what will matter in the end. I'm pretty confident the pros will soon seperate from the mass of players once the community gets more into brawl and more techniques strategies w/e are discovered. I wouldnt call brawl a failure/disappointment. Im happy with brawl same as i still am with melee.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Thats your problem though, you're constantly comparing it to Melee. The gamepley mechanics have changed, and you're still clinging to the melee ones, so you insult these changes, the game has changed, so your playstyle must change with it, I can understand reluctance to want to drop melee's more fast-paced playstyle, but Melee is Melee, Brawl is Brawl.

They didn't try and make the game like a Kid's version of smash, its a DIFFERENT version, and thusly it plays differently, adjust your playstyle to suit these changes, or go back to melee.
I know my competitive playing-friends still play both, and there will still be Melee tournaments, albiet less plentiful.

Edit: basically what I got out of what you said is that you're upset that Super Smash Brothers : Brawl, isn't, Super Smash Brothers : Melee 2
I understand what you are saying, but the fact is, it bears the name Super Smash Brothers. i didn't play the 64 version competitively but you could combo very effectively in that game. that carried over in melee, the combos became more complex and harder to perform. combos were virtually eliminated in brawl. they are sparse, and some cannot even really be labeled "combos". despite this, i am taking brawl for what it is, and i will learn all the techniques discovered and see how this game plays out on a competitive level in a few months.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

You use a lot of commas.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
Okay. So if Brawl isn't like an expansion pack of Melee then it sucks. To all of you people being ******* and protecting this guy while being flamers and total morons, go cut yourself. To the troll who started this, nice job man, nice job.
Your expansion pack metaphor is weak, did you even read/comprehend my post?

LeifusYourGod

Smash Cadet
it's almost like it's a different game or something.. oh wait, it is. chill dude, the game play thing just mean you're actually going to have to go and figure out new combo's instead of copying everyone else's (god forbid!). plus as been mentioned multiple times before, it is still a fun multiple, which is all that really matters.
as for downgrading characters, sure plenty have been downgraded for the sake of balance, but i personally think other were made overpowered, but then again the games only been out for like 48 hours so i'm not going to start spamming "omg unbalanced!"

but hey, i totally agree with you about the loading time thing, have the time me and my buddies think the game ha forzen or something.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It's funny that you enumerate all of Brawls "flaws," none of which are valid complaints insofar as competitive smash is concerned (as many have already said, no doubt), but then you fail to mention the one thing that really sucks: Tripping.

I'm serious. Sans tripping, the game is perfectly competitive. There are fewer reliable combos, yes, but there are plenty of options and abilities that make the game competitive. Edgeguarding was only made harder, but there are options against almost every character. It goes on. You just have to think about Brawl as Brawl, and not as Melee 2.0, or even Smash 3.0.

Tripping is the only thing that really sucks in my opinion. I've had it in my head to write an analysis of tripping in the context of Brawl, and what my own conjectures have told me just show that the depth of tripping's impact of the game seriously hobbles Brawl as a competitive title. Other than that, though, the game is fine.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
to Lain since I'm too busy to search out his post:

That's a terrible comeback. "Oh you used caps lock to sound witty lah lah, I'm cool." It's stupid. And it doesn't help you ignored the rest of the post. You didn't refute anything. So if you want to gg someone, gg yourself. You claim to represent a community that disagrees with you-- so you fail harder than I could on any day. And it's obvious you're on of those high school weaboo's who thinks using game slang is going to make you cool in a serious discussion, and you're obviously someone who responds to troll bait at the top of the hat... and what's even MORE obvious, is that you'll call someone a brawl tard when they aren't so keen on the game itself-- just because they find redeeming qualities.

And while you laugh at us in the post, pretending like you're all cool and such... we aren't pretending. Seriously, we are laughing at you. Matter of fact, Shoryuken is laughing at you-- and they hold the biggest fighting game tournaments in the world. You're more *****y than a mass effect fanboy.

SO tell you what, respond however you like to this post, It isn't gonna make you cool or intelligent(Because what you fail to realize, is if I wanted to be witty, I'd just quote your whole post and dissect it section by section, but I didn't bother doing that because I have better things to do with my time then talk about some idiot who knows nothing about competitive gaming[which you don't, and it's obvious.])-- I'm not going to respond.

The only reason I posted in this thread is to remind the guests here, and some of the people who were somewhat confused by all this hate(Because they're are a lot) that this **** is common. It happened a month ago. We got over it. Go back to playing Melee. I don't care. If someone I know hates 3rd strike, good for them... they can go back to playing SFII. It's no skin off my back. You people are pushing yourselves into a corner-- acting as if the idea we'll have tournaments in brawl means you're precious Melee will die, and let's be honest because that's what you're afraid of.

No "Brawl won't be competitive" or any of that ****, it's true. You are afraid Melee will die. And those of you who are intelligent enough to NOT think like mentally deficient chimps-- aren't posting in the topic-- or feeding the ****ing troll, trying to argue about competitiveness. You're going about your business playing melee. Brawl's going to have a competitive scene whether you like it or not, and you can either be smart and accept that, and go on playing the game you've loved for six years-- or you can be a *****, and just throw on insults to the game, and be a pansy.

If you're worried about the state of Melee, it's going to go on. Stop posting. You're fine. If you really don't like brawl. Good for you. You have a bunch of people who agree with you, as much as the side that likes brawl agrees with them. Move on. These discussions are stupid. It's March 11th people we've known half of this ****ing **** for two months. It's one thing if you're trying to vent, it's another if you're being a closed minded idiot and feeding, once again... A TROLL.

HIS NAME IS ****ING NINTENDOFAILEDATBRAWL. WHO THE HELL DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THAT THIS GUY WAS A TROLL?

GOOD GAME. Your GameFaqs.

I'm not posting here again. And if I do, I'm just going to repost my topic with select points in a bigger font. If you disagree, don't bother posting here either. This discussion is pointless. Just wait, and You'll get your answer.

I have better things to do with my time than continue a circle jerk discussion like this.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
. Brawl is not supposed to be Melee with a new roster. It's a sequel to expand on the original Smash Bros. gameplay engine. You don't pick it up and make your judgment call after a freaking day playing it and act like you know something.
EXACTLY.

to EXPAND on the original gameplay engine. Brawl does not EXPAND on ANYTHING besides characters/stages. ALL it does it LIMIT thus far.

People say melee is boring now because we've played the game for SEVEN years. ANY game can get boring after 7 years. I play starcraft competitively and will probably play sc2 even if it's blatantly a worse and less competitive game - just because i'm bored of starcraft. This however does not mean i will be blind to the fact that it is obviously an inferior game.

It would be like if they decided to give every unit 600 hp so theyre easier to micro and you could only have a set number of miners in sc3...the game would be hurt so much. It would be as bad as wc3 competitively, LOL

thumbswayup

Smash Master
well said plank.

anyone else notice that the wifi sucks ass? it lags from time to time, but that's not the problem. it's that there's a DELAY exactly like you're playing on an HD tv. it pisses the hell out of me. nintendo is 7 years behind sony and microsoft in online gaming and they can't even get that right? how ****ing pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom