• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learning Advanced Techniques with Doc

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
Sneakz, not to be mean or anything but it seems odd that you should give up on WD'ing with Doc, yet attempt to master his up-b cancel. From my experience (I can WD pretty well now, 'bout third of tha time im wavedashing into some silly shield thinger), but from my experience the wavedash is actually a ****Load easier to pull off than the b-cancel. So.. don't give up on WD (or SHBAWD in your case)

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Honestly. Thirty minutes a day practicing wavedash is all you need. It might seem like you are getting worse, but that is how the laws of life work, be it games, sports, or whatever. When you learn a new ability or technique you start off worse but get better in the long run.

I consider myself a pretty pro Doc, but I haven't started learning to SHBWAD until just recently. Don't make the same mistake I did. Don't dismiss SHBWAD as time consuming and useless. It's foolish, I know from experience.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Yah, I know Its like when my parents keep telling me not to do something, because they've already done it in there youth, they tell me they know and its bad yet I still disagree try it and fail just as much as they have. Odd, but Ill try to heed your warning even though its hard to take someone else's experiences as your own.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
No problem DrGrimReaper, I see what you mean... but it just seems so exclusive to Doc, that I MUST know it, unlike WD that all characters have

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Thx for the Info Bullet Bill but, That still doesn't help my addiction to Crouch canceling, I see it as my own demise and it so god **** predictable ( well not really, but If you do it every time some one dash attacks you or does and Air moves ... it becomes VERY predictable) My friends are slowly adapting to it... they've both beat me 2 days ago, that hasn't happened IN A WHILE... maybe WD can fix all of this ... but **** is that thing annoying ... ill do what my freind did and play as luigi for a while and learn the basics

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
lol chu12ch haven't experienced that but ive seen videos and it seems so smooth, It flows together perfectly ... look pretty sexy but since Ive never done it before ( but I have B-Air edge guarded before ... not often cause I usually fight Fox and b-air his recovery is pretty useless rather just cape him)

But yah ill get back to practicing WD ... haven't been practicing melee alot, to busy on hmwk and trying to find a fckin Wii.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Well, SNeakz. I just got back from a tournament and hit a ****ing intense match with a Marth along with some other decent matches. So as soon as I get ... un-lazy I'll put them on my computer and upload them, but I got SOOO pissed. I was recording my first match, and some douchebag knocked my camcorder over. I was really upset. So I set it back up and get back to playing... and someone knocked it over AGAIN! I was so pissed I couldn't concentrate on the match and lost my first round, lol. But I came back through the losers' bracket to take 4th.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
lol, yah idiots annoy every1, but at least you got to continue on ... wait the pause function isnt turned off in Tournies? cause i got this really bad habit of PAUSING right befor a major KO hit, like right befor I connect Docs umm megaton punch on someone I would pause laugh and continue play, same with all 4 of my smash moves, ma freinds get pissed sayin if i never paused they could have avoided it but they not they couldnt ... <_<

Also umm ive been practicing WD like you guys said, ive been doing ALOT better but I came across 2 problems and only 1 i can fix myself

1st one is that I find doing continues WD anoying and anytime i do, do them the WD is way to short and u can see part of my jump, i know i need to get faster but just wanted to know if anyone else went through this and had something to say

and the other is how do I incorparate WD into my gameplay? I tried for a bit, but I only did use it for trying to chase after my opponent ( but then problem 1 came into effect) and anytime i did WD towards some1 how was close, theyd just C-stick me in the face

WD did help me out when it comes to WD right before landing from a jump for example

Fox would do a downsmash but I short hoped backwards ( imagine docs sexci backwards jump) BUT he would follow with a dash attack, BUT WD right before I hit the ground ( for some reason WD after a jump for me always yeilds the best results) hes dash attack comes to short and I down C-stick the ***** back home

... yah thats all ive gained so far ( I also feel that wavedashing with Y and R is easier then what I usally do Y and L)

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
weRd, I use X and R.

x is the one on the side right?

as a suggestion to incorperating wave dash into your game, I'd suggest going into training mode, and standing 'bout 6feet away from some one, then WD'ing to them and attacking them as fast as possible after the WD. Try this w/ all of doc's smashes, arials, & tilts, over & over. Until you can get each one to be liquid-cool packing the power of the sun to smash your enemies away :D (Capri Suns are tastey ^_^)

Next, I suggest you start trying some of them ledge tricks, like when you're holding onto a ledge, you tap down & then immedialy jump, and then WD back onto the stage (it looks rather sexy) and doing that into what I mentioned above, an immediate post-WD attack!

Also, try WD'ing to grabs, I suspect gettin' good at this will improve your game play drastically!

oh, & along w/ WD'ing try wavedash-dancing where it's like, omgosh I don't even know what it's like but you dash one way, and then wd back, a nd then dash the other way, a nd then wd back and repeat! iunno, but it look'd sexy in smash mac's tutorial vid.

hope i waz helpful ^_^

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
lol you were, but theres one problem with training mode I dont like ( Thats why i just go to versus instead) You cant use c-stick -_-

So yah thanks for the tips, Ill practice again as soon as I ease up on the hmwk load

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Training mode has its uses as well as versus. As for the wavedash, I had the same problem. I could wavedash decently in training, but when it came to using it in battle I just didn't know and everyone I asked never gave me a real good answer... and to be honest, I don't really know what to tell you either. However, what I do suggest is to just force yourself to do it every now and then. You will suck at first, miss it a lot, whatever, but keep pressing on. Eventually it will become second nature to you when to wavedash and when not to. Watch one on one videos to see when the pros wavedash and when they don't.

SkiMaskSkeet

Smash Cadet
Indeed using wavedash is a double edged sword but as you use it more, the more uses you see for it. Since I don't own a gamecube I can't tell you how to effectivly train with it but I usually practice WD'ing backwards to dodge an attack or two who I vs my friends.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thx guys. Have the same problem to with WD also, maybe its cause im under no presure when i practice, but Ill keep it up and take the losses that come with it ... -_-'

Really hate losing to my freinds after talkin so much smack about my skillz -_-

kaputo

Smash Rookie
hey grim/sneakz, this is eddie kaputo and im a doctor mario user. Ive gotten the WD, SHP (pills) and other moves such as fair, dair and so on. Do you have some tips/advice for a doctor mario user. i have a question when SHFFLing how are you able to keep moving after you after you cancel the move? i can SHFFL Uair mabey twice, but other than that nothing else. im also trying to learn how to SHBAWD. Any suggestions on how to successfully use it?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
meh, I over use the WD: to the point of using running as the mindgame, and simply moving with the WD...:/ (Now I try it with all character--like bowser--and it doesn't always work so well (as bowsers dash is faster))

re: shuffling: if you can only get a few out, you are probbaly missing the L-cancel. If not, then just get in the habit of not stopping after doing a few attacks (once was a big problem of mine--I practiced L-cancel->move, but then didn't practice doing anything after-using fox got me over that though)

and SHBAWD is pretty easy: just make sure you use b-air realy quickly after jumping, to the point where you simply jump into it...then you actually have some leeway for the WD at the end.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Well I haven't been practicing as much as I hoped lately but, guaranteed I learned a lot and I promise you that I've gotten considerably better at the game. I really cant thank you all enough.

P.S The reason I haven't been practicing is cause I just recently picked up my Wii ( oh yeah happy dance :) ) and Ive also just gotten Pokemon Diamond (oh yeah happy dance again) and between Sonic on Wii, and PKMN on DS, I really couldn't manage to squeeze in time for Melee and not to much the Midterms I just blew through.

Really hope this topic has helped others, and I hope this topic doesn't die anytime soon -.-

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Lol. Nice Sneakz. The Wii owns. You should PM your Wii Number, despite my internet being lame on the Wii. I wish I had a DS to get Pearl =(

Anyways... Smash related. Err. You... train HARD... yeah.

I won $36 dollars in two days by MMing scrubs at my school. Now THAT is mindless entertainment for you AND your friends.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Haha. I'm sure you can find someone chu12ch. I was in anime club, and I heard two people talking like lil nubs about Melee and Brawl. So I just went up and outright challenged them without another word. Soo easy, they were. Though, there is this fat squeaky voiced kid with a rolly back pack that no one likes. I won $25 of the $36 off of him and when I finished he said something in his squeaky voice (Not even kidding, he sounds like a squirrel in a female toddler body) I couldn't understand and then he said, "I know I owe you $25 dollars, but this is what you get," and he kicked me twice in the back of the knee and hit me once in the head. At first I laughed because I was surprised he had the nerve to do that; then I said, "You're lucky I'm more mature than that," and as my friend and I packed my GCN and started walking to class the fat kid opened the door and stuck his face in mine to say something smartass so I decked him as hard as I could right when he opened his mouth and he fell on the floor and started crying.

Good stuff, man. Easy money. I also got a job and stared my first day of work today, ever, so expect to see me in some OoS tournament ;)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Well I say you might get offended cause some people get offended for being called out on age (although I wasnt going for that).

The reason why I ask though is cause, well, if this happened in high school (which it did), it's understandable; cause that's how some highschoolers are (were, high school is soooo long ago compared to college D: )

But if you were in college, and you decked a fat girly sounded dude in the face, that'd just be hilarious. That just doesnt seem like a college story, so I had to ask.

__

Still funny to deck somebody in the face over smash regardless, just kinda curious if it was HS or College. D:

WFL

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a very good way to relieve stress. I got a kid the same way in my High School (Freshman). I want to just deck him right in the face.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Nice, no lies i probably would kicked the guy *** as soon as he touched my head, sorry I really dont have that much control :(

and yah Ill PM you as soon as I bother to find my Wii code, lol yah Im pretty confident that I know where it is, but I only touched the settings once, and thats when I was connecting the thing to my connection. But yah when I remember to get the # Ill PM you. ( I also gotta give a couple of my freinds who managed to pick one up earlier my code also... so your not alone ...)

Top Bottom