• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn how to earn your wings! A pit video critique thread :)

Tesh

Smash Hero
Why would you record that with your toaster when you have a friend with a capturing device?

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
because my friend with a capturing device doesn't have a car and never goes to sync's plus tbh the quality isn't that bad at all especially for a webcam built into my laptop. it's easy to view especially in full screen and it's less difficult than trying to get replays to you. get a car and go to sync's more often and then ill use ur capture card lol

that aside, critiques plz

ladies and gentelemen, rare footage of maharba vs esca, gnes, ultimate razer, trela, sync, and shadow1pj. help me please.

http://youtu.be/bFnRBhcH12k

http://youtu.be/4f2FFb0UYAg

http://youtu.be/iF7sHt3yqz0

http://youtu.be/ISjzoB4vqZ8

http://youtu.be/H-4JYCtYqx8
this is the most important vid (and the longest) and this vid is top priority for critique. also my falco is used at some point in here and i want yall's honest opinion of it. mvd look at this one too please. but do the other ones first because watching all of the other videos in the collapse box will take less time than watching this one video.

http://youtu.be/0z_BgcjDsuo

http://youtu.be/P836RYUudzM

http://youtu.be/oBEHh30mWKc

http://youtu.be/TJvVfWIzJiQ

mvd, these vids i want you specifically to help me with. you too fyre since you play mvd a lot. anyone else can help too but im calling these 2 beasts out on these particular videos

Tesh

Smash Hero
Scientists from a small village in Japan have just created this thing called "the internet" where you can send messages and data across a building, street or even a city.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
:diddy: (after watching "gnes.wmv")
  • Don't chase Diddy so much when you launch him, let him come down and punish his landings. Arrow abuse shot upwards. Watch how he reacts.
  • Work on coming back on stage after one or two planks, My suggestion is reverse b-air from ledge or auto-canceled n-air.
  • Glide toss bananas upwards when you just want distance and dont want to give him the banana. Glide toss forwards when you are punishing landings or whiffs on his part.
  • Use WoI a bit more from the air, immediately cancel and land with a fair. Don't use WoI from the ground.
  • Steal bananas, and keep them while running backwards and wave bouncing your arrow shots. Don't stand still at all in theis matchup, you'll get F'd up like you did at the beginning of Halberd bro.
  • That's all I got right now. I would also suggest using WoI refresh to get away and stay in the air. Abuse arrows IN the air more as well, if you can curve them good you'll get some unexpected unanswered damage on him. Focus more on your on-stage abilities before you work on your gay-ness strategies. Also, if you ARE going to be gay on the ledge, use reversed or wave bounced arrows FROM the ledge to stay safe AND bait him out for footstools or other similar edgeguards.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
thank you krystedez. i was hoping when i get off work hours later there would be at least one post. if it hadn't been for you that wouldn't have happened :/

what's funny is after keith did that set up to me, i watched keith do that same set up on havok at apex when he CP'd halberd on gnes and he took his first stock that same way. i felt proud that i helped him make that set up lol

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
So gnes is a good player, right? And bananas are food right? Not even bananas, it's the peels that no one even eats. You should be focusing on him MORE than the bananas because he is the one attacking you. If a banana is out of the way then leave it alone. Likewise if you are holding a banana don't throw it back at him because he is just going to catch it. Throw bananas away from Diddy Kong and his options just got cut in half.

If he has a banana you can't throw out punishable moves, not even arrow on stage because he can shield and throw one at you then all the momentum shifts to him. You have to break the momentum and play at a slower pace because a fast paced game Diddy Kong will most likely win.

Also, we're you drunk or something why do you keep calling him an ***hole lol

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1B26BB1C662C3EDA

It's only partially complete; I'm waiting for Shaya to upload the rest of the matches, but I figured I'd post this for now. I will add the other matches to the playlist as they are uploaded, so the same link will get you to the rest of them.

I have been told time and time again that I have a tendency to roll or spot dodge when I have better options available to me. Instead of having everyone tell me this, it would be more helpful if you could point out specific instances of when I do this, and what would have been a better option. Of course, advice in other areas is appreciated too =)

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
vs Jnuts:

Your rolling doesn't seem to be the issue. You make too many punishable moves, high risk low reward type stuff against his Falco. The main thing is using your smash attacks as responses to whatever he did. He would fsmash your shield and you would fsmash back which will never work against any falco with sense. He had time to put up his shield each time you did that. The better response is to dash grab him since you should know he will shield. If he has a spotdodge habit then run behind and pivot grab.

Another thing you weren't able to capitalize on was offstage gimps. Falco's weakness is recovery so when he is offstage your focus is to keep him off as long as possible and notice when your opportunity to take a stock is. Most of the time 2 arrows offstage and taking away his mid air jump is all it takes to kill Falco with a ledge hog or mirrorshield gimp. If you see him use up b you have to recognize what you need to do immediately. Either grab the ledge or mirror shield and get your timing down with mirror shield because otherwise it can be a pain to kill Falco.

Projectile game seems fine, but you got chaingrabbed a lot. Best thing to do at 0 percent is to stay near the ledge so he wont get as much free percent from the cg. Eventually you'll learn how to tap dance around his grab range, but worry less about that and more about staying away from him. Full jumps and curved arrows get around his reflector, but you seem to know that. His SHDL is nothing but pressure, just stay grounded and learn to powershield the second laser.

One thing you did noticeably well however was planking. You know how to take your time on the ledge and I commend you for that. He made crucial mistakes which cost him the set because of this so keep it up.

Vs iKill:

1:40 In this situation the right choice is actually to roll towards the grenade. Obviously in your mind roll away from the grenade, but he knows the obvious answer to so he expects this. Roll towards the grenade and you will escape all damage because he just pulled the nade and it takes some time before it explodes. During Snake tech chases it is also a good decision not to make a decision right away. Pause for a second then make a move and his reaction will be off. (Unless you're freakin' MVD or Fatal >_>)

1:53 Your DI was off there. Utilt is the move to watch out for yes, but ftilt can kill too so if you get hit by that first knee, DI up. Good DI is a very important part of winning matches.

2:22 Snake can be outboxed by Pit so focus less on using arrows and you will fight better against him. Arrows on stage will be punished by a Snake ftilt on shield which is damage you shouldn't be taking. Shield ftilt and it's a guarenteed dash attack punish, just don't do it when Snake is at low percents or he will punish back.

3:55 Don't be so quick to run away and camp Snake, Pit can chain grab to the ledge then dash attack for free 50%.

4:23 Roll behind a Snake ftilt remember to walk a little before you grab because his lunge puts him outside the grab range. I forget this during matches too.

4:40 Better choice there would be angel ring, it gives shield pressure and pushes him offstage no matter what percent. Dash attack only gave him like 9%.

5:12 Mash the c-stick up repeatedly to DI out of Snake nair and you will escape the hit with all the knockback.

General stuff you need to know is learn to pivot arrow as it will help your camping game. Mix up your arrow game with quick shots, half charged shots, fully charged shots, jump shots, curved upwards shots and whatever you can think of, but make sure to only arrow when they are at a reasonable distance or offstage. Don't fsmash so much unless it is a guarenteed punish, jab more. Holding A for the jab combo does 11% and you can stop it if they are shielding after the first or second hit and step back to avoid their punishes. Get more grabs in on shield and pummel an appropriate amount of times to refresh your moveset. Don't be afraid to go offstage to fight opponents, Pit has 3 mid air jumps and a glide along with wings of icarus for emergencies which you can footstool people out of and wing refresh with. Just a few things Pit can do that you aren't using to get you started.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Gosh, this is long, even after replacing the quotes with indents it's still really long...sorry. At least answering your points helps me =)

Your rolling doesn't seem to be the issue.

Hm, maybe in that set. It's just what I keep getting told by the top players in the scene. Chances are it will be more obvious against Zxv, being a top player able to pressure me, and then punish.​

You make too many punishable moves, high risk low reward type stuff against his Falco. The main thing is using your smash attacks as responses to whatever he did. He would fsmash your shield and you would fsmash back which will never work against any falco with sense. He had time to put up his shield each time you did that. The better response is to dash grab him since you should know he will shield. If he has a spotdodge habit then run behind and pivot grab.

Thanks, I will take that onboard.​

Another thing you weren't able to capitalize on was offstage gimps. Falco's weakness is recovery so when he is offstage your focus is to keep him off as long as possible and notice when your opportunity to take a stock is. Most of the time 2 arrows offstage and taking away his mid air jump is all it takes to kill Falco with a ledge hog or mirrorshield gimp. If you see him use up b you have to recognize what you need to do immediately. Either grab the ledge or mirror shield and get your timing down with mirror shield because otherwise it can be a pain to kill Falco.

Hm, looking back, my offstage pressure is usually a lot better than that. Not necessarily because I was doing the wrong things, I was just missing a lot of arrows for some reason. I very rarely miss that many offstage arrows, usually I'll hit around 70-80% of them.

As for mirror shield gimps, I usually do them quite well, but I did miss a few opportunities this set. at 1:19 I had a prime opportunity, but by the time I realised it was too late. At 8:53 I did try to short hop to shield, but then my controller was like "nope, you're going to reverse shield instead". At 13:08 I knew that I didn't have space to mirror shield, but I probably should've gone for an edge hog. Could've got a nice back air out of it if done right too.

I think I had 1 or 2 mirror shield gimps against Luco (I know I did plenty in friendlies, not sure how many in tournament), so that's probably better to judge by.​

Projectile game seems fine, but you got chaingrabbed a lot. Best thing to do at 0 percent is to stay near the ledge so he wont get as much free percent from the cg.

I made 2 major mistakes in this set. The first was going into the first match with the complete wrong mindset (last tournament I beat him with relative ease, he improved so much in just 2 months). The second was falling for so many chaingrabs. I really need to learn to just stay away from Falco until I've taken enough damage to avoid the chaingrab. Same goes for other chaingrab matchups. Not really much else to say on this point other than it was a massive fail on my part that really needs work.​

One thing you did noticeably well however was planking. You know how to take your time on the ledge and I commend you for that. He made crucial mistakes which cost him the set because of this so keep it up.

Thanks =) I have been told once or twice that I don't plank enough, that I'll stand near the edge rather than hanging off it when I can, but I would've thought it would be best to be on the stage if you have enough space, right?​

1:40 In this situation the right choice is actually to roll towards the grenade.

Dem mindgames​

1:53 Your DI was off there. Utilt is the move to watch out for yes, but ftilt can kill too so if you get hit by that first knee, DI up. Good DI is a very important part of winning matches.

Mm, being relatively new to the scene, DI is a somewhat new concept to me. I think I've picked it up relatively well, but I still have the odd slip up. I'll have to watch out for this in future​

2:22 Snake can be outboxed by Pit so focus less on using arrows and you will fight better against him. Arrows on stage will be punished by a Snake ftilt on shield which is damage you shouldn't be taking. Shield ftilt and it's a guarenteed dash attack punish, just don't do it when Snake is at low percents or he will punish back.

Yea, think I did 1 or 2 arrows too many there.​

3:55 Don't be so quick to run away and camp Snake, Pit can chain grab to the ledge then dash attack for free 50%.

Hm, maybe. I'd been having trouble grabbing him earlier, I think I just figured it was a safer option.​

4:23 Roll behind a Snake ftilt remember to walk a little before you grab because his lunge puts him outside the grab range. I forget this during matches too.

Noted.​

4:40 Better choice there would be angel ring, it gives shield pressure and pushes him offstage no matter what percent. Dash attack only gave him like 9%.

Interesting, I never would've thought of this. I don't often use angel ring other than as a reflector, since it's so punishable, but I can see how it would be useful to force the opponent offstage. I might have to keep that in mind.​

5:12 Mash the c-stick up repeatedly to DI out of Snake nair and you will escape the hit with all the knockback.

I know the theory of SDI, but unlike DI I am yet to put it into practice, save for a few moves (eg Pikachu's down smash, since I have a friend who abuses it so much). I guess this kind of thing will come with practice.​

General stuff you need to know is learn to pivot arrow as it will help your camping game. Mix up your arrow game with quick shots, half charged shots, fully charged shots, jump shots, curved upwards shots and whatever you can think of, but make sure to only arrow when they are at a reasonable distance or offstage.

Hm, I suppose my arrow game could use a little more variety. I only really change my timing if they start powershielding it. I'm not exactly sure what a pivot arrow is, but I don't think it's something I know how to do yet.​

Don't fsmash so much unless it is a guarenteed punish, jab more. Holding A for the jab combo does 11% and you can stop it if they are shielding after the first or second hit and step back to avoid their punishes.

I don't really like Pit's jab 3, though I do sometimes mix it up with an infinite jab for a short while, often comboing into dtilt. It's also helpful for shield pressure.​

Get more grabs in on shield and pummel an appropriate amount of times to refresh your moveset.

I don't know what happened to my grab game. A short while ago I was grabbing at every opportunity (which was also a problem, since I had better options). I've got out of that habit, but I suppose I could do with a few more grabs (not too many though). You're definitely right about pummelling though, I really should be pummelling a lot more.​

Don't be afraid to go offstage to fight opponents, Pit has 3 mid air jumps and a glide along with wings of icarus for emergencies which you can footstool people out of and wing refresh with.

Hm, I didn't think I was, maybe it was just those matches. If I knock them offstage, sometimes I'll sit back and pelt them with arrows, but I do sometimes follow them with a wing refresh. The main thing mentioned here that I don't do is footstooling, but I'm not exactly sure how to best integrate this into my playstyle.​

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i used to not like pit's jab 3 either. then i just forced my self to start using it (and infinite in situations you will come to learn) and low and behold my ground game improved. start using jab because whether you like it or not, it's better than fsmash unless you are trying to kill.

after that, luckay said it all perfectly

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Invisi got the best of me this time. Although you didn't reflect me, which I thought was strange, because you did it all the time in friendlies. Maybe I took the hint that time and used snake whenever I could. :-P

Ahh, Good game, mate. I can't wait to have our next matches recorded, it was such an awesome feeling! :D

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
By the way, the set Luco is referring to is up and has been added to the playlist. I promise no more scrollfests this time if you critique it =)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
New material maha~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God damnit. **** you. I just got done watching everything you had.

:salt:

I'll watch it friday more than likely.

Oh ya

Why am i so good to you pits :(

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP2atv2rn9I i was doing all right, then he started doing pikachu stuff i dunno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSBwfpBpz7Y

i feel like most of hte time I get hit, is me trying to punish stuff that cant be punished
I watched your Pit, you just need to get a better control of Pit and you'll do better. Add more mix ups and more technology, and your Pit could be really good. Your teaching me some things. Your Pit is really simple and you predict/punish pretty well. You seem like a really smart player, but you really should add some flare and a little speed on your reaction times as well as set ups. It seems like you just upthrow-->arrow ALL the time, but you should be reading them for an aerial or another regrab or set-up.

Zulo

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP2atv2rn9I i was doing all right, then he started doing pikachu stuff i dunno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSBwfpBpz7Y

i feel like most of hte time I get hit, is me trying to punish stuff that cant be punished
Can I add a couple things? First of all, watch out for Pikachu's thunder. Don't airdodge or anything until he uses it if you're above him. Also, you should know your opponent's range. You don't need to retreat (unless you're going to camp) if you're not within the range of any of his quickest options. This Pikachu hardly ever dash grabbed or dash attacked so that would be fair. Rolling backward when you're farther away from where he can hit you with fair is juts giving up stage control and putting you on the defensive. It was more of a passive thing than an independent action, but if you want to see an example you can look at the beginning of the second game of the first video, at 6:28 and again at 6:49.

Also, if he's quick attacking at you, just throw out a hitbox in his general direction. QA extends his hurtbox so much it's not even logical.

Just realized none of that is really Pit-related... You were doing most of the Pit stuff right I guess. :tytypoo:

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Good things: Your follow up game is strong. You punish landings rather well. As expected from a player as strong as you. You also used pit's multiple jumps as a spacing tool very well.

Note:pit's pivot grab is infinitely better than his dash/standing which are in top 5 worst in the game. His pivot grab is equivalent to d3 standing grab. So use that more than the other two. Even if u have to run in do a quick dash to pivot grab it's better than doing the dash grab 90% of the time unless u have the hardest of reads.

Don't dash attack at below like...60 if your at extremely high % like when u were at 180. It'll get u killed.

Use more dtilt. It puts them in the air near you and often is a reset bk to the same position they were in which can bring out mistakes in their landing choice. Especially at mid %. It's equivalent to fsmash in horizontal range and comes out the same frame.

Jab even more. Pit's jab is so godlike. It's range and priority is ********. It may be frame 5...but it even bets falcos jab when spaced.

The commentators were right on this: Don't just stand still and arrow. Also, don't be so quick to give up stage control. Use more grounded b-reverse arrows(pivot arrows). They ARE your single best zoning tool and def. pit's best aspect. Create mix-ups with them. Dash in, dash out pivot arrow, later continue in go for the grab read, later pivot ftilt on the second dash, or cross over bair on the initial dash(safe on shield against most characters if FF at the last second), etc. But def the lack of it here was the largest thing that stood out.

Don't forget about dair. Don't think i saw a single one really. It's a very good spacing tool and covers many options in quite a few situations.

Remember this: Once you hit that b button you've committed to an arrow. I say this because john should not be powershielding those arrows. You need to realize(unless he has a fully charged aura sphere) that you've committed to this option and most ppl's natural instinct is "PS, shield". So delay the release, figure out their habits, make them waste their shield health and continue to mix-up the timing. Charge it all the way, then none, then a bit, then none, then farther than a bit but not all the way, etc. It helps to learn how to time the arrow release against spotdodges, airdodges, and rolls as well.

Other:Nair OoS= frame 8 and moveable/often better than grabbing if they spaced right. JCUPsmash=frame 7 including the jump squat frame.

WoIOoS has invincibility frames 1-4 and a technical fifth frame of invincibility. Is great at escaping pressure. Can be used in conjunction with it's ability to PC on any platform moving or non-moving for a safe retreat.

watch your jumps and WoI usage offstage.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Watching this vid kind of made me realize some things when I played reflex.

1:02 You should run past warios and pivot grab because they spot dodge anything you try to directly punish.

1:07 Most dangerous thing I've even seen a Pit do. Don't use up b without making use of your glide or your jumps to recover first. You should have died from this.

1:44 Very nice.

2:29 Strange yet effective.

Nice stage spike near the end.

You're a little lacking in the camping department. If you have the lead you should let wario come to you the majority of the time. Good use of dtilt and fair to keep him out. Don't throw our fsmash/usmash on a whim because they are laggy and punished easily by characters like wario.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Yay finally got videos :)

So I Frapsed the videos from the Brawl ISO, sorry it's kinda laggy and I was playing with an xbox controller, but I was able to get 3 fairly decent matches imo against a lvl 9 CPU, lame I know, but I think I used most of my over all strategies and tendencies in them.

Game 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COattljW7ng&feature=youtu.be

Game 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBK5XMVOjlY&feature=youtu.be

Game 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJG0V4Fqxt8&feature=youtu.be

Any and all advice is welcome :)

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
First and most important thing is try to find someone human to play with lol. Can't really critique a match against a computer since everything they do is pretty much randomly generated.

You definitely roll too much. You don't have to roll when you aren't in danger so just walk or run so you control the distance you travel.

You definitely smash too much. Smashing has the most frames out of pits moves generally so when you smash you are most likely to be punished for it, especially if you miss.

Don't know how you managed to play with an xbox controller, lol.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
First and most important thing is try to find someone human to play with lol. Can't really critique a match against a computer since everything they do is pretty much randomly generated.

You definitely roll too much. You don't have to roll when you aren't in danger so just walk or run so you control the distance you travel.

You definitely smash too much. Smashing has the most frames out of pits moves generally so when you smash you are most likely to be punished for it, especially if you miss.

Don't know how you managed to play with an xbox controller, lol.
It was really really weird and I kept trying to press a to jump instead of y. As far as finding a human player to play with, I have plenty but we play on the Wii and I can't figure out how to open those replays on my computer's ISO to record them :( I don't think I usually smash as much as I did against the CPUs when I'm playing on the Wii, some of there were accidents while trying to jump, but I still probably over do it, I like to fsmash OoS when they are at fairly high percents. I'll try and find a way to get me against humans at the next smash tourney coming up, is on the 28th I'm really excited but I'm probably gonna play mostly ICs.

BOrookie

Smash Cadet
Just a tip: When grabbing onto a ledge, if you WoI you can grab on from a slightly farther distance, I noticed that you were mainly just using your jumps to get to the ledge. And pretty much what luckay said about the rolling, if you want to get near you're opponent quickly, I find that firing an arrow, dashing, firing an arrow, dashing, etc. will get you close fairly safely most of the time. Oh, and if you would like to play some WiFi matches, I can record then and put them up for you or send you the files if you wish.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Shinobi: Like they said with the CPUs, but a couple general rules apply that come to mind. You want to use arrows a lot, yes, but not so close to the opponent that a human would be able to punish you. Try angling them also so they're not reflected back at you. Use dash attack very sparingly. Lastly, nair-ing as you fall causes a bunch of landing lag. Try a rising nair instead. Hope that helps~ Though, even more important than these small details is just getting the basics of the game down. :3

Ya might know some of these things already though. :p I can't tell.

Top Bottom