• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn how to earn your wings! A pit video critique thread :)

Zync

Smash Journeyman
Maybe :) I think Ill give it a chance and read all the pit stuff around here once i get the chance!

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Aight maharba since this is the only way to get footage of you I'll critique the gnes match at the end.

27:34 You should have it imprinted in your mind vs bananas to press z when you land on them so you grab them instead of slip.

27:43 Diddy's are more ready for a banana to be thrown at them than any other character because they are always in a match with bananas. Don't just give it back to them, they will more than likely catch them especially if its someone like gnes.

28:08 Idk if you were just not paying attention or you spaced out here but this string is what happens when you land and don't have shield up vs Diddy with bananas set up.

28:18 You're not Toon Link, Pit gains nothing from doing that maneuver. You should have died here.

28:40 Uhh just throwing out fsmash because you missed a dsmash gets you killed. You should already know this, play smart.

28:49 Coulda mirror shielded, decided to dair?

29:40 Good job going low to avoid getting gimped.

29:45 Just jump up and catch the banana after it hits your shield. Idk what you were trying to do with up b, but don't because it isn't worth it.

29:48 Using all your jumps in a pressure situation will turn out bad, luckily you got the glair kill though.

30:10 If you can, and this comes with real focus, reaction time, and maybe some prediction, airdodge the diddy hump because they will do that sometimes when you sit in shield expecting a banana.

30:13 Ledgehop shielding a peanut = not worth it. You deserved to die there.

30:35 Landing with any of Pits moves will get you a banana to the face if Diddy has one.

30:45 Don't give up a banana for no reason, like you can stay back and camp with arrows holding a banana.

30:56 You shoulda flew higher.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
You're not bad Maharba, you played well tonight.
Come over sometime again this week, man!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Before a troll fest starts brewing here too, I want to clarify that the vid is my Gold Pit back in the old days, but that black Pit does not belong to Viper (aka, Woody); it belongs to someone else, and Viper here will try to lie about it. Simply clarifying before this board is subject to another pointless fight that I want no part of.

Ask me questions about the supposed conflict if you need to. Thanks.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
You're not bad Maharba, you played well tonight.
Come over sometime again this week, man!
txt me the address of the hospital and i will try to come visit you sunday after work or tuesday since im off and can spend the whole day. keep working on resting and getting better ill

i don't have an ipod speaker but i have a radio if you want me to bring that :troll:

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
I just watched the second video (Superglucose's video of 'Dark' playing as Pit). Seems like the guys just needs a lot more time getting used to playing the game with Pit. His movement and moveset-usage seem kind of sporadic (throwing out smash attacks when he's nowhere near the Lucario). He has a decent understanding of arrow-looping but would need to further it in order to make it a useful asset. Potential's there =)

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Tesh:

0:30ish You seem a little fsmash happy at the beginning. Normal for any beginner Pit I assume. Look for opportunities for the cg when Dedede is at low percents, but if he doesn't give you that option to grab then don't use laggy moves like fsmash or he'll just grab.

0:52 input error I assume. Should up b to the other side of the stage to recover.

Around 4:00 you're too obvious with your kill attempts. You can't just throw out moves vs dedede or he will grab you. Either grab him, stay at a safe distance and arrow, or attack him when he's in the air and punish is landings.

4:30 You can ledgehop to mirror shield to make dedede turn around if he's zoning with ftilt and that'll get you a chance to get back on stage.

5:20 Don't ledge hop too high.

learn more basic brawl knowledge for the most part

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Linkinhand:

0:20 You can fthrow to dtilt or fthrow twice and then ss fsmash or fthrow three times and then dash attack with that grab. Look for guaranteed grab combos when opponents are at low percents especially 0.

1:12 when you're at like 110% vs fox he will want to be looking for a chance to usmash. Don't throw out laggy moves like dsmash. Just hold shield until he goes for it and then dash attack punish or grab him afterwards.

Same thing at the end, you're too impatient for the kill and threw out fsmash hoping to kill and he punished with his usmash. Learn to be more patient.

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
Okay thank you very much^^. The "Chaingrab" thing i already do, but i guess you have to buffer those? Other than that anymore tips? Should i try to reverse his side b/up b with mirror shield or better throw out an aerial to knock him offstage?

Esca

Smash Champion
Gadiel, I watched the Ty one. You had some good stuff I'd just say be more aware of your dair. It's one of Pit's best spacing moves vs falco. Also, why not use dthrow instead of uthrow? more damage for uthrow maybe but dthrow has better setups.

You did catch onto his bad side-b habit rather quickly though and got decent punishes for the most part.

I cant even critique the snake video. Any snake that uses fsmash or fair more than 3 times per match doesn't know how to use snake.

Veeonix

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC6mj-CNViE&feature=relmfu

My buddy Fira is a Pit main. He seems to have a difficult time with my DDD, but he manages to best Falco. I suspect this is because of the fear of the chaingrab makes him space better. But without the same fear from Falco, he kinda just plays solitaire and does whatever he intends to do, regardless of the opponents actions.

At the beginning he spaces pretty well and made some good reads, I couldn't land or get any damage in. But it began to even out once I got a footing.

I am wondering if you guys could maybe give me some pointers I can suggest to my buddy. He's been a lil discouraged lately, and I would like to have some good news for him, or some advice on what he needs to work on. Can someone please critique this vid from Pit's perspective?

Other vids on Youtube can be found with him as well. Just browse youtube and search "Fira Pit."

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
tell him his pit is amazing. but he has to know when to stop going in and to actually let you approach him when he has a solid lead like he did. even when you were at almost 200% he kept goin in hard. tell him about how you abuse the fact that you know hes gonna approach as well. literally all he has to do learn when to pull back and he'll be ****

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I don't know what you need help on Gadiel, you won the match and it doesn't look like his ness was very good or overwhelmed you with anything. You never used any grab releases which is an important thing to exploit vs Ness so you should learn that, you can get a regrab/dash attack as well as dsmash and fsmash by the ledge from it. You caught on to his fair recovery back on stage and tried to counter it with mirror shield which I liked. Get a better vid like vs his ZSS next time.

For the Fira guy's friend

1:22 that was a very nice spotdodge punish and kill follow up afterwards actually

Around 2:30 to 2:42 he molests the c stick it seems and takes a lot of damage for it. He should calm down in high pressure situations and get out of there himself instead of trying to panic smash attack his opponent away.

Some basic stuff:

He doesn't plank at all which is one of Pit's strongest areas. Planking slows down your opponent's momentum and also can tack on damage little by little or reduce their shield so they have to approach eventually or let you back onstage and reset the playing field.

He doesn't know grab follow ups at 0% like fthrow to fsmash, he should look at the threads here to learn some things.

He likes to dash or dodgeroll a lot for movement, he should get better footing and learn to walk in some situations as well as use wings of icarus to platform cancel on stages like BF. Also he must learn to run away and pivot arrow sometimes, his arrow game needs a lot of improvement.

Top Bottom