• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
BryE hows the Link textures + texture hack guide coming?

Im waiting in anticipation D=
I can't really make a texture hack guide at the moment since my capture card is on the fritz. As for my texture that I made with Link, I never really made progress to actually upload it. lol

I should have it uploaded today. However minor things will be excluded since this texture that I made since it was supposed to be a personal one.

Rizen

Smash Legend
However smashboards just loooooves to give us limited space on our forum signatures. -_-;
^This annoys me too. 100 by 500 pix? S**** that! Cool sig, btw.

'Been playing Monster Hunter Tri again. Stupid computer's still down but I my find a way to play a few wifis...

spirits are low

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Do you play? If so, what weapons do you prefer and what HR are you?

If you need help with quests, my file has everything done, best equipment etc, and I could help.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Around 70-100 HR it starts to get so formulaic in how monsters fight that you space them without thinking, lol. Even 'hard' event quest monsters are kind of boring :/ .
I'm pro with hammer/GS, good with SnS/Lance and suck with SA/LS/bowguns, HR 133.
IMO 'evade distance up' is the best skill for hammers and less-so GSs. Some people swear by one mindset that only _________ skill(s) are good (sharpness+ for Ala for example) but as long as people pull their weight and live IDC how they play.
Someone was giving me c*** about using a hammer for the 'world eater' quest but even big jho is a simple probability of moves that are easy to hit with good timing/spacing. I was the only person who didn't die once in the few times we played jho and the person mentioned died twice in one quest, hehehe. Life powder is a major help to keep the team alive.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I tried to get into Monster Hunter Tri. However I just can't because the clunky movement kinda kills me. I'm used to being able to play games with characters who attack animations aren't so painstakingly slow. -_-;

Spock

Smash Rookie
^Thanks, 'glad to help.

I use this: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=58030
but I still use windows XP and the product is dated. Other people probably have other methods.
So I ordered this device, had some friends over, and finally uploaded two videos to youtube of me and a friend playing a friendly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBgSgJb09Ag&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbk6f3nii1g&feature=youtu.be

Can you guys check these out and give me some pointers? I realize I make mistakes in this video and I still need to practice to get all the ATs down. However it would be helpful if someone observed any bad habits I have. I'm also looking for more effective approach strategies. I usually destroy the guy playing as Anon unless he players as Pit. Lately he's been beating me about 50% of the time when he plays Pit, which is unusual. I also have difficulty landing my Zair's on him. Particularly, I have difficulty landing Zair's on short characters too. Can't seem to hit him solely with that first hitbox.

Spock

Smash Rookie
although i find wifi garbage, id be up to play some matches just for old times sake. I used to spar with link players back in the day on wifi
I would definitely like to take you up on this. I haven't played much brawl online though. Should I PM you to figure out a day and time?

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I tried to get into Monster Hunter Tri. However I just can't because the clunky movement kinda kills me. I'm used to being able to play games with characters who attack animations aren't so painstakingly slow. -_-;
That's exactly what turned me off from MHtri.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So I ordered this device, had some friends over, and finally uploaded two videos to youtube of me and a friend playing a friendly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBgSgJb09Ag&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbk6f3nii1g&feature=youtu.be

Can you guys check these out and give me some pointers?
I'll critique in the video thread.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14596084&postcount=397
WallOtext!
Video thread:
( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=275902# )

Rizen

Smash Legend
Nice; I like the style and that you used a real cloud pic for the sky. Aren't you afraid of your work being ripped off online? I worry so when I don't sign my real name
(it's not Rizen)
, I watermark.

D*** my computer's still crashed. I hope a driver can be fixed or reinstalled and I don't lose Photoshop. I bought CS4 cheap because I had CS3 and Adobi sold a version of CS4 that recognizes a legal copy of CS3 (Creative Suite) for a huge reduction- probably to discourage pirating. Now I have the CS4 disks etc but can't find my CS3, which means CS4 won't install if I lose my computer with CS3.

^because this my Link guide has been put on hold. It is mostly done, needs some revisions, more links and the main section that brings the others together.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The slow actions turned me off to it at first. MHunter has to be thought of like an online 1st/3rd person multiplayer; they don't usually have the fastest actions because your aiming/selecting items during battle and move in an environment with other people. Games like Halo or Metroid Prime didn't have super fast movement or actions either because you had to move and aim. MHTri is like that+Gauntlet's arcade attributes in 3rd person. It can't be judged like fighters, hack and slash or games that don't rely heavily on status changes, and maintenance (weapon sharpening, stamina drop, etc) during battle. You can't run up and hack at a monster then block during the action.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Nice; I like the style and that you used a real cloud pic for the sky. Aren't you afraid of your work being ripped off online? I worry so when I don't sign my real name
(it's not Rizen)
, I watermark.
Yeah I don't really care that much if a person decides to take a WIP of mine. Plus since:

1) It's not the full resolution.
2) It's not finished.

Plus, whenever I do finish my work, I always sign it. Even in collabs. too. :D

Rizen

Smash Legend
I covered all Link's romantic interests (and not-so-interested in but they like him) for every game besides the Toon series. Excluding a few very minor characters. Link's holding an engagement ring and remembering his collective Zelda series love-life.
I almost added some 'fear of commitment' caption.
Left to right in the thought bubble: Maku Tree OoA, Ilia TP, Maren LA, Mallon OoT, Midna TP, Fi SS, Zelda all, Tatl MM, Nabooru OoT, Maidens in crystals ALttP, Saria OoT, Ruto OoT, Patrice SS, Rosa OoS.

Legan

Smash Lord
Loooool I remember watchin that on stream, the hardest trolling from Teevee and bizkit.

Decent stuff X but I see so many glaring flaws in your basic game that you need to improve on. Like the random times you throw the bombs up, the poor recoverys and some of the most questionable grabs ive ever seen. You need to level your head and think more about your options and snakes options. I feel like 90% of your actions you did without considering what snake could do to counter them.

Meanwhile, on another stream in cali MAH MANZ SCIZOR WAS PUTTING IN WOOOORK. Scizor for best link main.

Rizen

Smash Legend
? I'm seeing a C Falcon ditto at 1:10:00.

For some reason I lag too much vs certain players like Sciz, D/ i/ ska and ki/ \lll /ock to play them.
/depressed

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
It's after the Falcon dittos lol
70% of NE is trolls tho lol

Thanks legan, yeah I was very nervous with my 1st time being on stream I did way too many stupid grabs I wouldn't of done and I got a bit mad when I missed a jab cancel. I felt I could of done better but I'll learn from each experience and next time I am on live stream I'll be more prepared.

Here is Scizor
http://www.twitch.tv/mikehazegaming/b/322456577

Legan

Smash Lord
Its understandable, livestream puts a whole new level of pressure on you to perform well. The way I see it is dont worry about it, most of those stream monsters dont matter and rarely have anything nice to say. pretend youre playing in the most secluded place ever, I see you rock headphones so put on some music you really like playing too and drown out everything around you. It helps alot

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
Yeah the headphones are for the crowds because people literally do go crazy over every little thing sometimes its a Low Tier/Link thing I am sure you have been witness too (its good and bad imo).
As for live stream thanks for advice, I'll try my best to represent Link better for the future. And will remain more calm then actually trying to just focus too hard.....

Rizen

Smash Legend
Topic for those who are interested to discuss

Challenging games, what makes them good? (wallOtext alert)

Most video games don't challenge me. It's sad how soft games have become. TBH Skyward Sword, S Mario Galaxy 2 and others were a bit disappointing. Even with new challenge modes and puzzle elements the still felt formulaic and like I was repeating previous challenges. TPrincess was fun but way too easy. Most things have been done in games: you have Myst rip-offs, Zelda/Dungeon busters types, FPS etc, etc. All of them lose their challenge once you're familiar with the formula. Games might be challenging at first but are easy the next play-through.

Here's a list of my favorite challenging games and why they keep my interest where others don't:

Super Mario Bros 1, 3 and World- Okay they're formulaic but SMB1 started it and is challenging even when you know where every cliff and enemy is. SMB3 This was the first and best (imo) expansion of power ups with more control and more onscreen threats like airship cannons etc. The variety and surprises were nice too. Super Mario World- I've 100% cleared this. The secret paths and map really added to the experience. At this point, side scroller Marios still felt fresh and expansions added new things. The gameplay was easier but exploration and the adventure made up for that (flying under the goal to reach a secret goal, etc). After World, side scrolling Marios felt dull and never regained their appeal in a been there, done that way. I don't like the linear level select path system either.

The Zelda series had a similar deal: Zelda 1 was freaking hard, 2 was even harder, you had to be very precise. ALttP and LA got easier with better controls etc but also had a great feel of mystery, quest and exploration.
OoA & OoS were entertaining and had a few annoying puzzles but didn't give the experience that ALttP and LA did.

Several series followed this pattern: Mega Man X 1&2 were very formulaic but hard, although it stayed challenging enough through X5. The 2D Metroid series followed the pattern. Mario Kart. And so on.

Then games got soft. Difficulty was often from bad camera controls (Sonic games) or misleading platform designs.

The Sonic series was fun, Sonic adventures were worth a few camera kills. Sonic Heroes was when they started to 'fix what wasn't broken' when they should have fixed the camera and AI. Other Sonics repeated this, Black Knight, Unleashed... Unleashed had the best normal sonic gameplay of any Sonic game IMO but they had to add the frustrating night stages. Colors was stupid and easy (puts up flame shield).

Metroid Prime, like OoT captured the metroid spirit in a new 3D form. Prime 2 was challenging but didn't feel right because the dark world and ammo elements. It was still good. 3 had great graphics but that easier, more of the same feel and the story didn't add much.
So games are hard in good ways because their freshness without fixing what's not broken and challenge where the player has control and must overcome a situation. Not because poor control. Strategy can be included too.

Majora's Mask is arguably the best Zelda, for those who liked it. It was a love it or hate it kind of game. What's important is it had the Zelda spirit and took that to very original, deep new settings with the 3 day time travel twist and Masks. MM didn't fall in OoT's shadow because it had the right stuff mentioned above^. MM had some of the best Zelda dungeons ever: Snowhead, Great Bay Temple, Stone Tower.

The Lost Vikings has to be mentioned. Hard, great puzzles, strategy, good yet simple controls. Tomator might be the hardest final boss ever.

Sonic and the Secret Rings was different enough that once I got used to it the game proved challenging and fun without being a clone or gimmick Sonic.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System was super hard and super fun. The infinite lives and checkpoint system allowed surprises to kill you without an annoying penalty. You were often seriously out gunned and had to be smart and fast to survive. One of the few American made games that wasn't based off a franchise (Spiderman, Starwars, X-Men, etc) or movie. The voice acting and writing had great American humor.

Metroid Fusion. The new elements and changes worked and kept the challenging old-school feel. What can I say?

MegaMan Zero series brought back the old-school challenge with different enough gameplay than the MMX games. The story was decent for a side scrolling shooter too and wrapped up loose ends from the MMX series. MMZero 1 and 2 were nice and hard, 3 fun but meh and 4 too easy but wrapped up the series.

TP and SS both had great innovative elements and strong points. TP showed that the wii could use motion control in an awesome hard-cord game with beautiful graphics. Buuuuut, when all was said and done they were more of the same and easy :/

Mario Galaxy gave 3D Marios several new dimensions. Even though Galaxy 2 was better in most ways and harder, it was more of the same.

Mario Kart Wii was fun to drive with the steering wheel. Competitively it was more of the same like most Mario Karts after MK64.

I could go on but you get the idea.

The reason SSBs games have remained popular, including Melee and less-so SSBs 64, (despite the obvious huge imbalance and broken things like certain infinites) is they usually provide a fresh experience, have good controls where the player must be skilled to be good and varying strategy. Playing with people makes this happen. SSBs does provide the necessary tools to make this work. Games like Monster Hunter and some FPSs are fun online experiences but get old eventually. I hope the next SSbs have these winning elements: fresh without fixing what's not broken, challenge where the player has good control and must overcome situations with skill. Not because poor control. And Strategy. While fixing the flaws of Brawl and staying true to the SSBs spirit.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Xavier wants me to update the top 5 list with this:

1) Scizor (Has been solidly doing well with Link actively in SoCal)
2) KirinBlaze (Not very active but has done well with Link in late 2010 to early 2011)
3) Legan (Inactive as Link but active player, also did the best with Link in late 2010 to early 2011)
4) LordXav1er (Very active, constantly top 2 in RI, starting to travel again and maintaining good performances)
5) AeroLink the Soul Master (he was good in late 2010 to 2011 but then decided to quit Link, tho I think still uses here and there not 100% sure) or Ninja-the-link-sage (He is very active Link still placing is inconsistent has a few wins tho are outdated now).

Thoughts?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Activity is the only thing that could place Sciz above Kirin and Legan. Sciz falls back on MK but easily is a top 5 Link. X being over ALSM would be based on current activity. ALSM uses Link in low tier tournaments. Ninja's 6th.

I don't care for the list but there's my opinion.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
So I was inspired by Siczor making it out of pools that I'm practicing with link and going him in a ****load of friendlies.

Idk if i'll go link in tournament though, the truth is I have mk main pride and I kind of want to win with mk XD.

Still though are there any good link vids other than scizor to check out?

Top Bottom