• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link is bad.Stay MK.
Sad but true.

Vids
X has done a lot recently. There probably are a few of ALSM, Legan, and (maybe) Kirin because they're tourney active. (what's his name) NinjaLink or something is active. For good European Links there's AfroTwist, Catpukee and Mr.R. IDK if Scabe has played recently. (sorry if I forgot someone)

Links are washed up and few actually do major things with Link anymore.:(

Rizen

Smash Legend
Izaw was like a god for me back in like 2010 lol. But now im like meh~
^This.

I'd like to say look at the 1st page of the video thread for Link vids but the most current are 9 months old or something. There are some good ones though. It marks when the forums died. I stopped posting some time ago.
I trimmed the fat so several of the links in my collapse file are broken. If we ever get the Link boards running again I'll submit a corrected/updated list. :c

Rizen

Smash Legend
Izaw might have been good back when Zelda was 17 places higher on the tier list. His tech skill's good, but he doesn't play smart for the current metagame. He plays very flashy but unsafe and over-hypes his victories when, if the opponent knew what they were doing, over half the time he would be punished hard.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173455
He made a self-serving thread in '08 and bumped it until 2010. At first you see a lot of praise but later it becomes a flame war. Scabe locked it in 3/2010. He'd post things like:
Izaw matches (NEW MATCHES AGAINST A PRO DEDEDE)
Hello.

New videos against a truly PRO Dedede, ENJOY these intense matches!

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Izaw(Link) vs Haze(DDD) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTFEflmAwk0

Frankly, even then that DDD either didn't know the MU or didn't know how to shield grab. Even this wifi DDD knew how to punish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cloiYPelgHI&feature=plcp . Izaw's nowhere near the people on the list.
Back when I was a scrub he looked good but he's ignored my messages and spammed SWFs and AiB to over-promote himself and not used the video threads. He's an okay Link and an egocentric jerk.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link would be compatible in competitive smash if these were removed:
:sheik::dk2::popo::kirby2::metaknight::dedede::olimar::falco::pikachu2: and :frigate:. Maybe swap a few more characters but he'd still be bad. It's purely food for thought; there's less holding Link down than it seems. Everything else can be dealt with. Take away Pika/DDD/ICs(duh) CGs and Sheik's Ftilt lock/combos on Link and they wouldn't be nearly as bad. Link unfortunately is juggled and CGed for massive damage or death setups.

:metaknight::kirby2::dk2: are too fast and hard to space. :olimar::falco: shut Link down. And
has that dumb right side where anyone can easily gimp Link.
This supports my theory that if Link's lag was reduced, air movement speed increased and jumps heightened a little he'd be a competitive character. If he also could pull a bomb while in hitstun (from CGs, etc) Link would have all the tools he needs.
They had to be stupid and nerf Link in Brawl:glare:.
/one of many, MANY ways Link could be made competitive. *sigh*

Additionally, Link's Spin Attack should count as 3 hits with the same launches and have a wind box the last spin, Dair should have a landing wind box like TLink's, arrows should be able to hold a charge when fully charged and maybe become fire arrows and hitbubble duration could be a frame or 2 longer (double Fsmash and Fair only attack 4 frames total, 2 for each cut).
/bored

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Xavier with that Pikachu/Anther experience. (I only post here because Xavier is too good)
So, how many of you Link mains other than Xavier have recently played against Samus?? (Past 3-5 months I guess.)

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Xavier with that Pikachu/Anther experience. (I only post here because Xavier is too good)
So, how many of you Link mains other than Xavier have recently played against Samus?? (Past 3-5 months I guess.)
Expect a namesearch post.

zFlashyStyle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
T-Type
I dont get much LT,MT, MU experiece as i play more against Marth and ZSS lol

Rizen

Smash Legend
I don't agree with Donkey Kong or Pikachu holding back Link... but the rest I can see why lol
Take away Pika/DDD/ICs(duh) CGs and Sheik's Ftilt lock/combos on Link and they wouldn't be nearly as bad. Link unfortunately is juggled and CGed for massive damage or death setups.
^This. Pika's CG is what tips the MU so bad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybfpZYC32eA&feature=player_detailpage#t=98s
Pika has an Ace up its sleeve... fur, whatever on almost every stage between that and its agility/gimping. DK gives me trouble, probable because people pick him on stages where Link doesn't have room to work. DK's speed inundates Link. DK and Pika are on the lower end of Link's murder MUs. IMO.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^You're 'overlooking the forest for the Japes'. (trees)
Japes is often legal, and often not.

There's a big 'thing' about wifi. It's never as good as offline but good connection wifi is a solid indication of skill. Wifi's so inconsistent with how bad lag is that it's not a good way to rank players. I learned most of my game from wifi, living in an area that was dead for years/insomnia etc. Also wifi has a slightly different metagame; I wrote a section about it:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14471151&postcount=3912
"Offline/Wifi Differences (008)

Offline is always better but good connection wifi can be legit too. The problem with judging skill on wifi is even vs the same person the connection can vary tremendously.
Generally PSing is harder, grabs are easier to land, mistakes are harder to punish, precision drops and SDs are more common on wifi.
Link’s projectiles are harder to shield and laggy moves like grab and Usmash are harder to punish on good wifi. If the lag gets worse it really kills Link’s game because he is a precision character who has to commit to his attacks; if Link’s interrupted or button lag fails to register an input he can buffer wrong. Bad lag destroys Link, any mistakes offstage mean death, his slow moves are easy to see coming, DIing attacks in lag wrong can make Link Dair offstage or end up in a worse position then he started and Link gets juggled before he can react. A myth is Link is better online but more accurately it’s like this: (Link is) Best Great connection wifi>>Offline>>>>>Okay wifi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any worse connection Worst.
For example, these were both ladder games against the same person. My recording device shows the lag; Link plays much worse when the lag increases past a point:
Good Connection vs Bad Connection. Keep in mind that lag can turn even the best Link into a scrub. I consider myself a great Link but ALSM is easily one of the best Links and has me beat. You can see the negative lag influence on both of us really clearly. Those were friendly dittos but I recommend not using Link at all if the lag’s bad enough because you simply can’t play well. IMO this is about when it starts to get too bad to play; notice the game’s (top right) timer counts back from 8:00 minutes and starts when the video is 4 seconds in, at 3:20 the game’s timer says 4:45 remaining- lag ate 9 seconds of the 3:16 time seen by the player. This is a good way to calculate lag on replays that weren’t recorded from the Wii. Now you try; how much more time do you see then the games sees from start to finish? (pause before it starts playing)"

tl;dr Wifi can be great for improvement but not to rank players or show the exact offline metagame, although it can be very similar.

zFlashyStyle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
T-Type
Rizen idk if to look at your matches cause most are wifi :/
Should i take a look at them maybe to pick up a few tricks?

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Look at them for wi-fi tricks. =P
Japes isn't a great stage, but it isn't complete garbage like some other stages. -cough- Rainbow Cruise -cough-

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
^This. Pika's CG is what tips the MU so bad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybfpZYC32eA&feature=player_detailpage#t=98s
Pika has an Ace up its sleeve... fur, whatever on almost every stage between that and its agility/gimping. DK gives me trouble, probable because people pick him on stages where Link doesn't have room to work. DK's speed inundates Link. DK and Pika are on the lower end of Link's murder MUs. IMO.
That really isn't gonna destroy Link tho like Falco's, IC's or D3's CG can. Pikachu can't gimp after it like Falco or D3 as it only works to a certain %.

DK is not very difficult he is fairly even imo he just is REALLY tough to actually kill. Link can shut him down in almost everything else.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Look at them for wi-fi tricks. =P
Japes isn't a great stage, but it isn't complete garbage like some other stages. -cough- Rainbow Cruise -cough-
Link has no good wifi tricks. Here's a ladder game vs Hazed on PS1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB_gZicVEMo&feature=plcp

Coast smash scene people don't realize that they have it easier. CO is like 10 times the size of RI

West mid west people have 3 hour (1 way) trips to tourneys that happen once 2-3 months and didn't happen at all until recently. We have to settle for yellow to red connections on wifi OoS and, until recently didn't have anyone else in my county who played Brawl seriously.
I've played in 4 regional live tourneys when the other corner states still attended. I played Demon/ i\c Toon /L \/ink, Delisious D/ \ave, F/ \in \/o, Fis/ \hbait, some Falco, Samus and a local ROB called B/ \ees, and several others live in those. I've played most of the named players online too. I know how both work.
Just because you can't work wifi or certain stages is no reason to mock them. Some of us make due with a bad area/setup etc, worked hard to improve, help the community and be respected. We're sick of whiny scrubs giving us s***.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
oh. Well, I wasn't trying to mock them; I was only trying to joke around. :( I forgot there is no sarcastic tone or joking voice on the internet, my bad. I honestly have no problem with Japes, but I'm sorry if I offended you or something. :S I mean I should probably take the game more serious, right?

zFlashyStyle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
T-Type
The Hylian on the video is from Mexico.So yea it's not the other Hylian from the here.

Top Bottom