• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Spock

Smash Rookie
Thanks:). I will keep working on it and adding updates; it takes forever to type and encrypt all that info. Link really needed a new guide. The collapsed format makes it skinnier than the guide will be as it's own post and the pics will be on the same line without big gaps.
Update added.

After reading this thread I immediately started playing a better marth because I knew where to put myself in relation to my opponent. This image in particular was extremely helpful. http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n151/steel2nd/marthzoneINFRONT.jpg

Rizen, is there anyway a visual could be added to your guide that might make Link's options at certain positions more apparent? Or am I looking at link's spacing totally wrong by asking?

Rizen

Smash Legend
I was checking out the marth forums today because I'm considering him as a secondary character. i came across this thread about zoning http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=229253

After reading this thread I immediately started playing a better marth because I knew where to put myself in relation to my opponent. This image in particular was extremely helpful. http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n151/steel2nd/marthzoneINFRONT.jpg

Rizen, is there anyway a visual could be added to your guide that might make Link's options at certain positions more apparent? Or am I looking at link's spacing totally wrong by asking?
I plan on expanding on the visual cues for tip-of-attack spacing. This shows a good short video example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lj_CLAyTss0#t=89s (to about 1:41) Snake gets in past the tip spacing because Link's slow but is hit out by other hittbubbles before he can deal damage. It does need images to help.
The difference between Marth's zoning is he's faster with important attacks (Fair ect), his swings have great curves and he's more strait-forward. Marth's OoS UpB has 5 frames invulnerability and attacks on frame 5, grabs on frame 6 (Link's upB starts frame 9 OoS, has no invulnerability and is useless if shielded once in it's duration, grabs frame 11 and if that misses it ends frame 85:sadeyes:). Marth's forwardB is a great punishing move and Marth's floatyness lets him zone off stage with much less urgency and risk. In a sense, Marth is like a Link who is good enough to actually zone successfully.

Link's spacing is based more on his diversity, which makes it harder to explain. In this vid notice how much more diverse Link's moves have to be and how Link can't keep attacking from one direction (he doesn't main Marth but the example's good) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ6JOX-0a28&feature=plcp
(In my vids you might notice me Usmashing for not good reason sometimes; I have a slight hand tremor that flicks the c-stick :c)
Link's very hard to learn because his standard attacks and Zair have 1 kind of spacing, Link's dodge punishes and GTFO moves follow a different rule (you want to be sure all hits can hit the opponent), his projectiles have their own set of spacing guidelines, a large part of his game factors landing canceling and gravity and he needs to use all these in his game at the right time/spacing to be successful, lol:dizzy:. This is why I say Link's the hardest character to learn properly. I think this to 0:44 shows Link's game well http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mtYW-saxShM#t=4s a huge part is just experience and knowing the best option without having to think.

A quick guide you can use for tip-of-attack spacing is learn these hitbubbles and try to connect with the farthest out bubble for most attacks (many swing with Link's sword's motion):
http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=124952

PS I think the frame data thread on these boards is 1 frame late so I don't use it.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
I've taken a couple breaks from brawl and now I'm back. I'm feeling confident with my Link. It has gotten so far.

[COLLAPSE="A couple things I've tried as Link"]I've been experimenting a bit with Link and I've come up with things I'd like to start doing. Starting with DI, I think it's best to aim slightly for the top rather than the corner to minimize the need to cancel horizontal momentum (since Link's horizontal air speed isn't so good) and to make it easier to recover. I say this because Link is so heavy and is pretty hard to star ko.

After experiencing people abusing my minimal use of (Link's) grab, I decided to use it as a mixup so I still won't use his grab much.
Yeah... I like to focus on the small things.[/COLLAPSE]

I think it's fun seeing myself progress. I may start trying to go some tourneys in my area since it's summer now and I may have an easier time finding some that I can attend.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^It's good to have people returning :) . Sometimes a person needs a break to clear their head before they can step up to the next level. I've taken breaks from frustration and played much better.

The boards are mostly dead, sadly :( . Hopefully more people will return.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Scabe for number 1 :cool:

Just kidding. :p But cool, I get some new names to look up on YouTube.

Wow Scizor is so good :D

Anyways I've finally got a chance and to own and play Brawl Minus. My god is Link such a good character :O and mother of god the game is fun.

@rizen

When have I played you?

O I remember, wifi friendlies.

That real indicator of skill.
Anyway I don't think I should be a top 5 link, or should ever have been a top 5 link, but like that list isn't about being good its about results, or made up results.

I've also stopped using link because nobody runs Brinstar legal at tournaments anymore. Link vs MK on Brinstar was the only MU I bothered learning.

Blubba_Pinecone is the best Link

Legan

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=296541

Top 5 Links in NA/CAN/MEX:
1) KirinBlaze
2) Legan
3) Scizor
4) Ninja the Link Sage
5) Tutu

I'd like to gather the thoughts and opinions of the boards here on whether or not you agree.
The list is bad, it doesnt have ALSM, Huggles, REFLEX. Scabe would be on there if he qualified. Its also funny how hard people try to get on the list just because of technicalities. (Well this guys been out of the game so long, what has he done lately?) People dont even usually truly earn the right to be called a top 5 player of a character, they just try to get on in skeezy ways by claiming how inactive someone is or how much more recent their results are. Im just sayin, I can easily judge a link players skill just by seeing them play, Tutus cool as hell and ive played him, but no where near a top 5 link, neither is ninja. Havent seen any scizor at all. Also, the fact that some link players have actually argued to drop me in that list is silly. Im not salty, I just thought i made it evident with my ability to consistently push this characters metagame even when people said it couldnt be done, that I was the best.

Edit: Scizor is legit, wish he was more patient tho

Rizen

Smash Legend
edit @Tutu: Your Sheik was much better than Link. You had a good Sheik, for sure. And I agree about the list and stuff. I didn't mean to put you down like that, though. Sorry.

Blubba's good but not top 5; I haven't played him for a long time to be fair.

Reflex, as in the PT player?

Edit 2: Posting since people might be lingering.

I'm working on that Link guide (on Word, offline) and updating it here: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14471151&postcount=3912 . I never played doubles in tourneys and lack the experience to write a secection on that. Would Links with tourney doubles experience please contribute with write ups that I can quote in my guide? Post them here or PM me.

Spock

Smash Rookie
@Rizen: That last bit of advice you gave about spacing with link was incredibly helpful. I witnessed an immediate improvement in my game and I've been destroying the other local players where I live.

I know this isn't the right thread to be asking, but how do I go about recording matches in brawl so that I can post them to youtube? I'd like to record my link and ask you guys for advice but the recording function in brawl is crap. Is there a specific device I should buy? Or is there perhaps a mod I need to install?

I think I'm finally to the skill level where there is little left for me to learn just researching the forum. I'd like to start building experience playing more serious matches. How can I go about setting up wifi friendlies with other players on the forum? Are there link players out there willing to give a little instruction?

zFlashyStyle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
T-Type
I need to get brawl back,and since i have a CC already i can just show you guys my poor Link xD

Legan

Smash Lord
@Rizen: That last bit of advice you gave about spacing with link was incredibly helpful. I witnessed an immediate improvement in my game and I've been destroying the other local players where I live.

I know this isn't the right thread to be asking, but how do I go about recording matches in brawl so that I can post them to youtube? I'd like to record my link and ask you guys for advice but the recording function in brawl is crap. Is there a specific device I should buy? Or is there perhaps a mod I need to install?

I think I'm finally to the skill level where there is little left for me to learn just researching the forum. I'd like to start building experience playing more serious matches. How can I go about setting up wifi friendlies with other players on the forum? Are there link players out there willing to give a little instruction?
although i find wifi garbage, id be up to play some matches just for old times sake. I used to spar with link players back in the day on wifi

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
All I have to say is that in 2010/11 I beat Legan when we were drunk in Link dittos 3 out of 4 matches before we went outside and greeted the sky with green fireworks.

And I have legit won a LT tournament and placed 4th at a regional, losing to some scrub I nearly took both games off of link player (ALSM :p) and Holms.

And I lie and say I play Link at every tournament when I only play him vs n00bs.

Top 5 Link.

Or at least

Top 5 Link

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
TBH top 3 Links are the legit ones who pretty much did anything/everything at one point and time (Scizor being new for 2012ish Links)

Ninja Link I just know he is actively going to tourneys and he beat Zex who went D3 and not Marth/MK at least 6 months ago when he was ranked in NorCal.

Tutu lied his way on apparently lol (I knew this basically after viewing the only video on YT...)

As for Legan and Kirin both are really great Links and kinda set the bar in 2010-2011 afaik for Link in the nation. But then both basically never use him in tourney now. Legan and Kirin still go to tourneys as far as I have gathered. But Legan has been using ZSS/Marth/MK in most of his results in the past year. Kirin has been to about 4 tourneys I believe still link/mario in singles.

ALSM is in a similar boat as Legan, he is best Link in Texas and has done fairly well in the state as a Link (LT tourneys included) and he also went out of state for like 3 tourneys iirc. But the past year he basically just uses Diddy/MK

So I feel the top 5 list itself for Link is really off and dunno what to go with myself.

Another note is: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185253

What are the top 10 Link video's out there?
Link them/vote/whatever you guys want.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm leaving it as the list is trash. *shrug*
Edit: this refers to the top 5 list and was typed before the vid list was edited in.

Out of curiosity, why the sudden interest X?

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
lol I do but if I am not worthy of even being on atm its not gonna be the end of the world. I wanna see what is the true top 5 we got carrying this character seeing as every other character manages to discuss it.

Rizen has actually been improving lately.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I mean several character's top 5s, not just Links. (no order) Kirin, Legan, ALSM, and probable Scizor, X or Huggles.
It's been a long time since my last live tourney :(
WTF? The boards are dead for weeks and NOW everyone posts at once?!

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
Along with this top 5 discussion, discuss the top 10 link videos too as well I'll check up later today what people can come up with.

So many Link videos.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I haven't kept up with other Links' videos for some time :/ . I'm sure there are good ones. Tourney scenes that I'm not a part of don't interest me.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I'd like to point out that last year I made the 2nd most money as Link, TuTu making the most. However, he got like 80 of it at a tournament he won with mostly sheik/zelda and had 1 match as Link. On Brinstar.

I beat a MetaKnight in tournament with Link basically only using bombs and dair. On Smashville.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Also, Rizen, VS MK you want to forfit the 2nd round so they can't get a read on you anyway so your shenanigans will work in the 3rd, having not played the 2nd match :p

And it's 24, I play as Gold Link on random in one match and do some stupid godly platform cancels into something and I had a full distance grab and a bomb to dair kill to the balloon pop.

But TBH, all those videos are good for are combo video material lolol, I have a lot of godly kills and set ups and ideas and skills but I lack the pedegree of typical Link playing style. I'm so ****ing aggro/camp/aggro.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
REFLEX. Scabe would be on there if he qualified.
Scabe for number 1 :cool:
Anyways I've finally got a chance and to own and play Brawl Minus. My god is Link such a good character :O and mother of god the game is fun.
Brawl Minus is amazing. So much fun. All the Hyrule characters are freaking broken.

I've heard Reflex actually has a really really good Link. He shows up at the Georgia scene a good bit and I really want to play him both as and against Link and Wario. I know he won a doubles match using Link with DRN against I think Player 1 and Kismet, so that's gotta count for something.
EDIT: P1 and BBQ.

And Scabe 2 gud. Too bad he's in Australia.

Top Bottom