• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Holy hedgehog mittens, when I read "twilight shine effect" I was about to chew you out for referring to that godforsaken saga, and then I realized you're talking about the subdued light between dawn and sunrise, and sunset and dusk.

Stephanie Meyer ruined my vocab. :'(

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Ha, Twilight. I can't even care about it enough to really hate it. I could totally care less about werewolves and vampires and that whole genre (I fell asleep in the middle of Underworld from boredom, and I never fall asleep during movies); thus, before it even gets to where I'd hate it I just blow it off for being about vampires and werewolves (although there are some things that disturb me about that series; in terms of how young teenage girls handle it and such).

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Idk i was forced to watch the first movie and i was like...

Okay whats with all the overly dramatic stares.

Anyway i got bored again. So i decided to make a mini guide basing it around how i played and since i used blue and for fun i always refer to my style as acting like water. So i ended up writing "Zora Link: The Discipline of Water" guide in "The Chain" thread.
The actual guide itself.
Zora Link: The Discipline of Water
Intro:
The mind set of this style of battle is to act like water. Water has no define shape or form. So thus Zora Link must also not have a definite style of battle. He follows the flow of battle and does whats best to accomplish his goal, being calm and defensive, but when the time is right to attack in a rage like the river rapids. Each move smoothly moving into the next, conserving energy and maximizing effectiveness.

Basics of Battle:
As a Discipline of Water. The basics of battle is to pay attention to your opponent and always be ready to change your stance. Best way to do this is to stay at mid range. At mid range you are able to both attack and defend at a moments notice. Staying calm and keeping all of your options open by dashing only when necessary.

Since water always flows down hill, if there is nothing obstructing your offense you move in, leading with projectiles with your main goal being to knock your opponent off balance. Force him into a bad position, jumping, shielding, or even blindly attacking. Once he is off balance that's when Zora Link unleashes the torrent, and charges into battle.

If you are ever knocked off balance, that is when you recede back into a defensive stance. However, be aware that water never wants to stay in one place. So Link shall never do the same if he can help it. As shielding causes you to completely stop, shielding as little as possible is important. Shielding only when needed, against a multi-hit move or against a powerful hit you can afford to get hit by. Spot dodging and rolling is a slightly better option as it keeps you moving. Retreating with projectiles or Zair is overall a best option for the Zora Link, if something lands he can instantly go back into an offensive stance.

Advance Tactics of Battle:
The majority of the offensive the Discipline of Water, will rely heavily on being able to flow from one attack to another, and stringing attacks as long as possible. To do this he must avoid using laggy attacks unless to finish off a combo. This includes Fsmash, Dsmash, and Usmash. They may be quick to start, however there is no option to follow up after so it should only be used to end a combo or to go for a kill. He must also be well versed in the art of sliding, using pivot boost, pivot landing, and the basic fast walk induced slide. Sliding allows Zora Link to stay on his opponent to prolong attack strings. Most important of this discipline is to save up your killing moves until they are needed. Just as water whittles away the great mountains.

I don't think it should be taken super seriously but I'm just curious of what everyone else thinks. I was thinking of following up with "Goron Link: The Discipline of Fire" and "Kokiri Link: The Discipline of Earth.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Nice one!! I guess my playstyle would be more Kokiri Link: The Discipline of Earth. Very few aerials, mostly ground based gameplay, tons of shielding/spotdodging>grabbing, D-smashing to punish rolls, etc.

Make the Goron and Kokiri Link versions. I'd really like to see what you'd say.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Lol thats kind of weird. I was actually thinking the Discipline of Earth would be like a really defensive style. Based on what your saying you pretty much fit it. lol. Also i never really thought of aerial Vs grounds. but now that i think about it aerials really are mostly for offensive purposes.

But now that you brought up ground based style. There is also open for an aerial based style. Which would perfectly fit into characters from Wind waker. The Rito, and being that their feathers are white. White Link seems the best fit as well. I dont think i could come up with anymore playstyles beyond that for both Gold and Black. Though black link could just be a playstyle that just mind fks all his opponents. Frustrate the crap out of them so they make a lot of careless mistakes. Which in reality only Gold.

I also feel that there should be another section aside from Intro, Basics, and Advance. Though i cant really think of anything.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Sure, but a mostly ground based playstyle is highly flawed because of one simple maneuver: short hop. It drives me nuts. My instinct is to shield and instantly grab. If you're SH F-airing me, you can just use that second jump to escape my grab and D-air to punish.

I'm guessing Goron is going to be massively aggressive? Flat out offense with no regard for defense?

Gold could just look pretty. Spam F-tilt and grounded Spin Attack. Do a retreating double jump. No practical use, just looks cute.

Edit: Isn't it about 4 in the morning there? You should really be asleep!!

Ryos4

Smash Lord
of course fire is massively aggressive. Look at avatar the last air bender. Fire benders are the bad people with only the power to hurt and destroy.

As for gold, you mean like how izaw usually plays? Highly flashy.

IYM!

Smash Lord
Holy hedgehog mittens, when I read "twilight shine effect" I was about to chew you out for referring to that godforsaken saga, and then I realized you're talking about the subdued light between dawn and sunrise, and sunset and dusk.

Stephanie Meyer ruined my vocab. :'(
jajajaja also i dont like the twilight saga jajajaja

Idk i was forced to watch the first movie and i was like...

Okay whats with all the overly dramatic stares.

Anyway i got bored again. So i decided to make a mini guide basing it around how i played and since i used blue and for fun i always refer to my style as acting like water. So i ended up writing "Zora Link: The Discipline of Water" guide in "The Chain" thread.
The actual guide itself.
Zora Link: The Discipline of Water
Intro:
The mind set of this style of battle is to act like water. Water has no define shape or form. So thus Zora Link must also not have a definite style of battle. He follows the flow of battle and does whats best to accomplish his goal, being calm and defensive, but when the time is right to attack in a rage like the river rapids. Each move smoothly moving into the next, conserving energy and maximizing effectiveness.

Basics of Battle:
As a Discipline of Water. The basics of battle is to pay attention to your opponent and always be ready to change your stance. Best way to do this is to stay at mid range. At mid range you are able to both attack and defend at a moments notice. Staying calm and keeping all of your options open by dashing only when necessary.

Since water always flows down hill, if there is nothing obstructing your offense you move in, leading with projectiles with your main goal being to knock your opponent off balance. Force him into a bad position, jumping, shielding, or even blindly attacking. Once he is off balance that's when Zora Link unleashes the torrent, and charges into battle.

If you are ever knocked off balance, that is when you recede back into a defensive stance. However, be aware that water never wants to stay in one place. So Link shall never do the same if he can help it. As shielding causes you to completely stop, shielding as little as possible is important. Shielding only when needed, against a multi-hit move or against a powerful hit you can afford to get hit by. Spot dodging and rolling is a slightly better option as it keeps you moving. Retreating with projectiles or Zair is overall a best option for the Zora Link, if something lands he can instantly go back into an offensive stance.

Advance Tactics of Battle:
The majority of the offensive the Discipline of Water, will rely heavily on being able to flow from one attack to another, and stringing attacks as long as possible. To do this he must avoid using laggy attacks unless to finish off a combo. This includes Fsmash, Dsmash, and Usmash. They may be quick to start, however there is no option to follow up after so it should only be used to end a combo or to go for a kill. He must also be well versed in the art of sliding, using pivot boost, pivot landing, and the basic fast walk induced slide. Sliding allows Zora Link to stay on his opponent to prolong attack strings. Most important of this discipline is to save up your killing moves until they are needed. Just as water whittles away the great mountains.

I don't think it should be taken super seriously but I'm just curious of what everyone else thinks. I was thinking of following up with "Goron Link: The Discipline of Fire" and "Kokiri Link: The Discipline of Earth.

Wow, this is awesome, XD

i dont think i am a Zora Link, i dont use a mid range combat, only close range or ranged combat.

Plis upload the other styles for read it, really looks good information.:)

quirkynature

Smash Ace
of course fire is massively aggressive. Look at avatar the last air bender. Fire benders are the bad people with only the power to hurt and destroy.

As for gold, you mean like how izaw usually plays? Highly flashy.
Shyamalan ***** the movie. A WHITE Aang and a brown Zuko. WTF? A WHITE Kitara? W.T.F. I'm not watching it. I can't really imagine a highly aggressive Link. His moveset isn't fast enough. Again, that'd be MK. Cheap *******.

Oh, yeah! Gold Link=Izaw. I love his B-air>B-air combo. And he can crouch cancel a jab in a match. I can't do it in practice lol. Is he on SWF?

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEOjA2OY6BI at 2:06 Izaw did the Dropkick combo!! OMFG =D~. He crouch canceled his jab 4 times. 4 TIMES!!! OMFG!!! I LOVE THIS GUY!!!

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Drop Kick Up tilt is pretty known.
Ive had Catpukee and Afro doing it on me all the time.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
anyway i'll continue my Disciplines on the second post of "The Chain" thread for now. Working on fire atm. Also i just noticed i change from 3rd person to second person to often. I need to fix the wording.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
hey LP, mario temp-proibition???

mario?.... broken?.....

eee... i dont know what to do

laught or ask why or .. i dont know
Click the signature for profit.

Why is Link so horrible when he gets sent offstage? I swear when i used Zair to recover today, it latched on for like .5 seconds, then it broke. -.-

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, my style would be "One too many blue potions Link: Discipline of the Drunken Master" or something.

I'm a pretty aggressive Link I guess; I certainly like to play at as fast a pace as possible (which will probably bite me in the butt one of these days when I have to go up against a good MK who can take my fast playstyle and yawn at it if I can't try to confuse him by changing the pace) and I don't use bombs as much as I probably should.

Link needs to be good at every aspect of the game just to stand a chance. What I need to be working on is my reading and prediction game I think. That and I've been trying to improve my offstage game since watching Arkive.

EDIT: LP, when you used Zair, what level was it on? It tends to do that on levels like Lylat Cruise or the third stage of the Fire Emblem stage where the stage rolls (zair gets caught behind the level), or if you tether multiple times before touching the ground (the limit is 3 times. After that the tether grab will just whiff the edge). He does suck when sent offstage, it's true, but I think he has the tools to usually make it back if you do it just right and can outsmart your opponent (or if you're fighting MK just pray, haha).

Rizen

Smash Legend
Drop Kick Up tilt is pretty known.
Ive had Catpukee and Afro doing it on me all the time.
Almost everything has been done. The first group of Links who aren't active anymore, like Legen, Arkive, Deva and so on, invented most ATs then the next 'generation re-invented them or found slightly different uses. A lot of them left and the cycle repeats. I worked on finding new ATs for a long time and only found 1 completely new and useless one (Hylian Guard Sliding). Fox is really helping by actually collecting ATs and tricks.
Why is Link so horrible when he gets sent offstage? I swear when i used Zair to recover today, it latched on for like .5 seconds, then it broke. -.-
Press 'down' when Zair is acting as a tether recovery to cancel it. Only do this if it misses the edge so you can upB immediately because Link will die. Lylat can make Zair miss.
Haha, my style would be "One too many blue potions Link: Discipline of the Drunken Master" or something.
Lol that's ShinTwist's style.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well i finished Goron Link: The Discipline of Fire. I was thinking about Gold Link, Still have no idea what to name him. Though i was thinking of either the Discipline of Light or Lightning. He moves a quick as lightning and is followed by the roaring thunder of the crowd. lol

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Today and the next two days is hell for me. I have so much work and the thing is like special people are visiting the store and checking up on the store. This is the worst.

IYM!

Smash Lord
Well i finished Goron Link: The Discipline of Fire. I was thinking about Gold Link, Still have no idea what to name him. Though i was thinking of either the Discipline of Light or Lightning. He moves a quick as lightning and is followed by the roaring thunder of the crowd. lol
i think light dicipline is better, gold will be reference to the gold costume of brawl

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Today and the next two days is hell for me. I have so much work and the thing is like special people are visiting the store and checking up on the store. This is the worst.
Eww, like the quality management people to determine what rating your store gets? I had to do that when I worked at Chick-fil-A; I was on dining room duty, and Truett Cathy (the founder of Chick-fil-A) was there with a bunch of quality management people. It was pretty stressful (although afterwards it was great because I can say I have personally met and talked with Truett Cathy :D). Don't worry, Scabe, just do your job as best as you can and I'm sure you'll be fine.
What's 'beer-canceling'??
I'm not sure, but I think it was a term for when people would get online and post on here while a little, um, inebriated.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I was gonna do exports if it helps make you feel better, since I'd be doing work for once. :p

M4ge

Smash Journeyman
Beer canceling is playing Brawl completely and utterly wasted. It was coined by a Link main named ShinTwist_ScreamPaste. He created a video of him preforming this highly advanced AT against another Link main here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvBhghaVfs4

Warning: this AT can only be legally preformed by Link mains age 21 and over.

You guys gotta know this stuff.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
All the best, Scabe! Stick it out, I guess. I can't really offer advice because I have no idea what to do in such situations.

Beer canceling is playing Brawl completely and utterly wasted. It was coined by a Link main named ShinTwist_ScreamPaste. He created a video of him preforming this highly advanced AT against another Link main here.

Thanks, M4ge. Beer-canceling automatically improves DI and spacing! It's a win-win!

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Wait a minute, you mean there's an AT that I've used before and didn't even know it? Incredible!

That second boomerang I didn't have got me every time though.

IYM!

Smash Lord

I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS

WASTED = DRUNK ???? , i dont uderstand very well ( sorry for my bad english)

if i translated this correctly, you say "we can play better and make an improved spacing if we are drunk"?:confused:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS

WASTED = DRUNK ???? , i dont uderstand very well ( sorry for my bad english)

if i translated this correctly, you say "we can play better and make an improved spacing if we are drunk"?:confused:
WASTED = DRUNK yes.
It's kind of sarcastic. More of an inside joke for people who know Shin.

IYM!

Smash Lord

Ryos4

Smash Lord
the hacked characters are always overpowered. The upsmash did like 26% or something.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
the hacked characters are always overpowered. The upsmash did like 26% or something.
Yeah, that's pretty much my line of thought. It looks cool and would be fun in a friendly but it's far too broken and brawny to be any fun to play. Nevertheless, I will try it out tomorrow.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Good lord, i did some gooooood work with Link today, mainly Gold color though.

Had fun toooday! ^.^

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
But i was playing some good players, mainly DK. The only time i wasn't having fun was when i went offstage.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
But i was playing some good players, mainly DK. The only time i wasn't having fun was when i went offstage.
Ook pretty much ***** my Link whenever I play him it's pretty hard to get back when they know what they are doing.

I've done that before, I guarantee it helps spacing.

Top Bottom