• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Bair is usually Link's best choice for momentum cancelling, and dair is good if you're going to be star KO'd. I tend to save my double jump, throw a boomerang, and recover low if I have the choice. I probably need to mix up my recovery game a little more.
Throwing a bomb down triggers fast falling like Dair and is the fastest option. Off stage you can throw a bomb backwards and begin momemtum canceling then catch it with Bair. Without a bomb in hand, Bair and Dair are best.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
How good is Dair and when does it become a better option than Bair?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
All i know is dont use Dair as a momentum canceler when fighting pikachu, or you're just begging to be hit by thunder.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
In terms of momentum cancelling? Dair's better than bair in protecting against star KOs. It's really laggy though and makes you fastfall, so sometimes bair is still better. It just takes knowing what will kill you even with bair and if you think it will go with dair. I think it has to do with dair automatically making you fastfall whereas bair only enables you to fastfall after inputting it but doesn't make you do so immediately, but I could be wrong.

And yeah, Ryos, that's one of the problems with Pikachu. If you don't dair MC, you might flat out die. If you do, you get thundered and die. Your best bet is to prevent it all together by DIing so that you're not directly above him, haha.

As a final note, with Link you WANT to DI, especially vertically. I think without DI Link is a little above middle of the road in terms of difficulty to Star KO. With it he's top 5. Here's a link if you want more info.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Hahaha, hence the suppose and the kinda. Link's stronger and Samus is weaker (in terms of kill potential) and floatier and harder to kill or gimp. I was going for the whole "both have a very useful zair, use projectiles, and space" aspect.

Hey KillerJawz, how's it going?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I don't, i just go randomly every post :p

I won a game with Link today, but what's a specific tier list of Link's moves so i know how to do it right?

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Taunts are Chuck Norris tier. lol.

The only reason Navi doesn't go "hey, you!" in Link's side taunt is because she knows if she said anything while being in CHUCK NORRIS' tier, she'd get a roundhouse kick to her...face?...

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Alright, I went ahead and bumped up the other thread with my opinion of his moveset. Some moves are probably a little off, but hey, it's my opinion. At the worst someone tells me move X is way better/worse and I learn how to better utilize it. A win-win!

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Guys... just so you know... that move tier list thread is completely useless...

Like, there's no nice way of saying it really. It's just not useful.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I find it interesting that some of the older Link mains only come here to post negative points. I think people should take Thumper's advice.

quirkynature

Smash Ace

Not useful =/= not fun.

I'd start a Brawl based comic strip (ripping off the idea from Peach boards), but I'm far too lazy to do it XD

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah I'm quite lazy as well, I'm sure you can all tell! I wanted to do that comic thing awhile ago too. We should collaborate and make a story :p

Rizen

Smash Legend
In terms of momentum cancelling? Dair's better than bair in protecting against star KOs. It's really laggy though and makes you fastfall, so sometimes bair is still better. It just takes knowing what will kill you even with bair and if you think it will go with dair. I think it has to do with dair automatically making you fastfall whereas bair only enables you to fastfall after inputting it but doesn't make you do so immediately, but I could be wrong.
Bull's eye.

Edit:
I missed a page, must be tired.
I don't, i just go randomly every post :p

I won a game with Link today, but what's a specific tier list of Link's moves so i know how to do it right?
Some moves are better in general but everything's very situational. To be good with Link you need to know when to do what, the how should become 'instinctive'.
A big thing to remember is that Link is all about spacing. Try to connect with the tip of Link's attack reach.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Negative points?

It's not negative, it's fact. I come here on occasion to simply post facts in hope of helping the players here improve. I see people putting effort into something that's not going to actually help them, so I state that it's not going to help them.

But you know, if you don't want the help, sure, I'll buzz off.

Thanks for being so assuming of me, I really appreciate it. ~

Ryos4

Smash Lord
i do agree with huggles to a point. It is important to space and make use of Links range. Though some attacks do different things at different ranges. Like the second hit of Fsmash does most knock back in the center of the blade, and Link can only spike with his body hit box and the middle of the sword.

Also Attention Link players

The Chain Link up and join the Chain. Yeah i said that.

Rizen

Smash Legend

I find it interesting that some of the older Link mains only come here to post negative points. I think people should take Thumper's advice.
The move list was pointless and the post was negative, which is okay.
Negative points?

It's not negative, it's fact. I come here on occasion to simply post facts in hope of helping the players here improve. I see people putting effort into something that's not going to actually help them, so I state that it's not going to help them.

But you know, if you don't want the help, sure, I'll buzz off.

Thanks for being so assuming of me, I really appreciate it. ~
No one said this^. It would help if you'd explain in more detail but that post was legit.

'Chill guys.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So in chat, we've been coming up with names for Link's colours:

Green = Kokiri Link, Deku Link,
Red =
Blue = Zora Link, Water Temple Link
Black = Shadow Link
Gold =
White/Lavender/Whatever colour it is = KKK Link

So yeah give some suggestions!

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Lava or Fire Link
Rich Man Link? lol

Also i just wanna say KKK Link. Totally my idea lol.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Well, I'm a big OoT guy, so obviously I think of them as Kokiri Tunic, Goron Tunic, Zora Tunic, Shadow Link, and then two other random colors since every fighting game character needs alternative costumes.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So in chat, we've been coming up with names for Link's colours:

Green = Kokiri Link, Deku Link,
Red =
Blue = Zora Link, Water Temple Link
Black = Shadow Link
Gold =
White/Lavender/Whatever colour it is = KKK Link

So yeah give some suggestions!
Goron Link
Fierce Deity Link

Don't use KKK.

My 'color' is American but my 'grey' is British. *hint, colour, gray*

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Ha, I have a friend who always uses the British spellings because he thinks they're more elegant. The real question, Rizen, is whether you use a wagon or a waggon to haul around stuff.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Link's alternative form- Fairy Link - Page 53 In The Social Thread

Ever since I have watched a trailer for LoZ Skyward Sword, I felt intrigued by his character design that appeals to both men and women, along with many arguments about the supposed gender by fans. What also stunned me is that Zelda 2 was the only game that has given Link the ability to transform into a fairy, which means that he can only fly, but can't attack at all.

I wonder what would his moveset be like when he becomes a fairy or anything else that stays with fairy link (art, theories, etc.)

Here are several sources for an inspiration.

Fairy Spell

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Fairy_Spell

Skyward Link in Action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEerj89rD4k

I would first believe that Fairy Link would be slightly weaker in terms of attacks, but can be more agile and dodgy since he can temporarily fly for a short period of time. Even with the absence of the sword, at least he could hold some kind of a rod to better suit the combat environment.

You guys can make all the theroies about it yourself.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
For SSB4? Assuming we could transform into Fairly Link (think Zelda/Sheik), that would be AWESOME. Go from heavy to light, less power and knockback but you can fly so...is it worth it? Better yet: put a timer on Fairy Link (say 10 to 15 secs tops) and you've got a good challenge.

Although, his costume change might leave him a bit...flustered. XD

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Ha, I have a friend who always uses the British spellings because he thinks they're more elegant. The real question, Rizen, is whether you use a wagon or a waggon to haul around stuff.
Or manservants. I say, what what, dear chap?

Edit: Black=EviLink. *runs for cover*

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
For SSB4? Assuming we could transform into Fairly Link (think Zelda/Sheik), that would be AWESOME. Go from heavy to light, less power and knockback but you can fly so...is it worth it? Better yet: put a timer on Fairy Link (say 10 to 15 secs tops) and you've got a good challenge.

Although, his costume change might leave him a bit...flustered. XD
I thought of the design approach to Fairy Link would be as much gender neutral as possible. Sure, add in some kind of a subtle petal-like skirt for the bottom of the shirt with ragged pants.

LOL

About the transformation thing, I think it's based on its opposite of character experience, and a transformation item causes Link to become a fairy and back, and vice-versa, thus instantly adding another character.

Rizen

Smash Legend
My backpack weighed over 25 pounds at one point, it was my wagon. really

Twilit Link
highlight ^

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Ragged pants? No way!! Give our Hero of Time a timeless skirt and tell him to get brawling. If Nintendo can give Samus a power suit that makes most think she's a man, and a body hugging zero suit that dispels all doubts of that, I'm sure they'll come up with something to cover up Link's modesty. Say, CK underwear?

A transformation ITEM would effectively ban Fairly Link from SSB4 tourneys because items are 'off' and 'none'. Zelda, PT and Samus all have some way of switching back and forth via a move, although ZSS can't get her power suit back on without a smash ball.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Ragged pants? No way!! Give our Hero of Time a timeless skirt and tell him to get brawling. If Nintendo can give Samus a power suit that makes most think she's a man, and a body hugging zero suit that dispels all doubts of that, I'm sure they'll come up with something to cover up Link's modesty. Say, CK underwear?

A transformation ITEM would effectively ban Fairly Link from SSB4 tourneys because items are 'off' and 'none'. Zelda, PT and Samus all have some way of switching back and forth via a move, although ZSS can't get her power suit back on without a smash ball.
Read closely to my last sentence or two.

I thought of the design approach to Fairy Link would be as much gender neutral as possible. Sure, add in some kind of a subtle petal-like skirt for the bottom of the shirt with ragged pants.

LOL

About the transformation thing, I think it's based on its opposite of character experience, and a transformation item causes Link to become a fairy and back, and vice-versa, thus instantly adding another character.

I think the ragged pants suits him with the subtle petal-style skirt because it's supposed to represent gender neutrality along with his overall character, and what's with the timeless skirt and undies????? U WANT HIM TO LOOK LIKE A GIRL? Miyamoto would not be happy with your idea!

About the transform item. If you get the transformed version, it is immediately unlocked under transformed opposites, so you can play as the transformed character afterward.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I dunno, I think Link is awesome as he is. I played am stuck in Zelda 2 and got the fairy spell, and was like "OK, so now what? I'm a fairy? This is boring. If an enemy touches me, do I disappear and fully heal the enemy or something?" I like Link's style as it is, I just think he needs to be buffed for the next SSB (faster moveset and move/airspeed, maybe some moves a little stronger, a better recovery). Besides, if you start making it so every character can transform, the whole idea of transforming becomes silly. It's special because only a handful of characters can do it.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, I think Link is awesome as he is. I played am stuck in Zelda 2 and got the fairy spell, and was like "OK, so now what? I'm a fairy? This is boring. If an enemy touches me, do I disappear and fully heal the enemy or something?" I like Link's style as it is, I just think he needs to be buffed for the next SSB (faster moveset and move/airspeed, maybe some moves a little stronger, a better recovery). Besides, if you start making it so every character can transform, the whole idea of transforming becomes silly. It's special because only a handful of characters can do it.

Although, it may be silly at first, there are characters that can manually transform into a different character, and Zelda is the only one to do so. If she gets hit by the transformation item, she gets simply transformed into a different Zelda with her manually alternate form in the respected types: Regular=Sheik/Toon=Tetra

Anyways, I did know and agree with you that Fairy Link in Zelda 2 switches combat for flight, but the point of this thread is to make theories about the combat version of Fairy Link, and for my belief, it switches close and ground combat with sword use for ranged and aerial combat with brief flight like a fairy does.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
U WANT HIM TO LOOK LIKE A GIRL? Miyamoto would not be happy with your idea!
Miyamoto wouldn't, but Sakurai would offer me a job. Link's the lowest tiered character of all SSB games and the G Tier List is called the Triforce Tier. Sakurai has something against Miyamoto or LoZ.

Yeah, I misunderstood the transforming part. Sorry about that. Is there actually some way all the information in your sig goes to Nintendo for consideration? After all that work, something should DEFINITELY come of it.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Miyamoto wouldn't, but Sakurai would offer me a job. Link's the lowest tiered character of all SSB games and the G Tier List is called the Triforce Tier. Sakurai has something against Miyamoto or LoZ.

Yeah, I misunderstood the transforming part. Sorry about that. Is there actually some way all the information in your sig goes to Nintendo for consideration? After all that work, something should DEFINITELY come of it.
There's no guarantee that Nintendo would just take fan ideas or that Sakurai would hire you, but whenever possible with or without help, they can pull it off. Anyways, Sakurai is still working on Kid Icarus Uprising, and he doesn't want to be involved with the Smash Bros franchise for a while.

If you want that link to look like the very retro ones (Link to the past) MAKE YOUR OWN WITHOUT NINTENDO or else, act like a team on how to make Fairy Link more like an aerial and ranged combatant like Pit.

Anyways, Fairy Link acquires a fairy rod used for ranged combat which may not be as strong as the master sword, but he can wield out several spells based off the goddesses or its fairy magic such as Nayru's damage absorb or Faroe's wingspan, or even Din's fire based on range and projectiles on the rod than it is on sword use.

BTW, one taunt can recover damage after a certain period of time.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
The idea behind Fairy Link seems a lot like the ability to shrink in minish cap.

Anyway I don't really like the idea of Link changing forms. Link has a rather unique character if you dont count TL. Also if you make him like Pit, Pit himself will cease to be a unique character as well. Though any changes to any of Link's specials would probably alter his play style. I couldn't imagine Link without Bombs, Boomerang, or Spin attack. Arrow is kind of give and take for me, I like it how it is now. But idk if i would be opposed to giving him a new special to replace that. At the very most changing his neutral B to his spin attack and giving him a completely new recovery move.

Overall i think Link is good the way he is. Granted he has flaws but the way he is now seems the most appropriate.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
The idea behind Fairy Link seems a lot like the ability to shrink in minish cap.

Anyway I don't really like the idea of Link changing forms. Link has a rather unique character if you dont count TL. Also if you make him like Pit, Pit himself will cease to be a unique character as well. Though any changes to any of Link's specials would probably alter his play style. I couldn't imagine Link without Bombs, Boomerang, or Spin attack. Arrow is kind of give and take for me, I like it how it is now. But idk if i would be opposed to giving him a new special to replace that. At the very most changing his neutral B to his spin attack and giving him a completely new recovery move.

Overall i think Link is good the way he is. Granted he has flaws but the way he is now seems the most appropriate.
Maybe I'm actin' so stupid about it, but Fairy Link would be a different flight character besides Pit, Metaknight, and Charizard.

The Difference between SSBB Pit is that he can fly but perform a series of close and rapid attacks with a balance of ground and air, while Fairy Link would be more of a ranged and projectile type that flies.

If you love Pit so much, I'll make a thread that dedicates it right now.

Top Bottom