• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Good work :)

It's sad how in each smash Link gets some good traits but is nerfed in other, unnecessary ways :urg:. 64 Link's jump height, running speed, grab and boomerang were much better. It looks like he had less lag on several moves.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Thanks! I know it sounds weird, but I found playing 64 Link helps with my spacing game when I pick up Brawl. The more you get into 64, the more you realize how you have to be really good at spacing with Link and execute everything perfectly or else you're screwed. But I'd recommend everyone try playing Smash 64 Link, just for fun, but also to really grasp the concept of spacing and execution. I haven't been able to practice in a while, so I'm a little rusty. I know if I got to practice little more, I could definitely do better than what was seen in my video against Lionheart, and I consider that my best video up to date.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
It was pretty entertaining. Got a lot of people's attention. And now people understand why I call myself Bomber.

<3 Boston.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Double post because inactivity.

Just got 3rd of 11 at Utah Fight Circuit Monthlies, which is kind of a big deal for me. But the time I get 3rd place overall is the one time they decide to just refund back everybody's entrance fees for starting the tournament a couple hours late. So I didn't get any money :mad:
I played as Link, Wolf and Lucario, mostly Link.

I've got loser's finals recorded and hope you'll give some critique because man I could use some. I'll post in the critique thread.

EDIT: Tourney results (Note: they were done on paper b/c yeah)

Rizen

Smash Legend
How good is Scizors Link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31cYJML6veE , I love this guy. Such amazing bomb play.
TBH, I barely know Scizor. I hear he places well with Link in a tough area (CA) but, like Kirin Blaze, he's not part of the online Link community much.

^I think they both were sandbagging those 2 games. Falco missed a lot of opportunities and Link threw out unsafe moves but wasn't punished (Dairs in particular). Link fell right into grabs a lot. Both players weren't playing fast either.

@Ano:
I've been busy but I'll try to edit your vids in the vid thread and critique.
@Ano and everyone
If you can make a post with all your vids and sort them by who you fought (character, doubles or singles) it would help me out.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I've been marathoning several different Melee Link players, and have noticed that their playstyles are somewhat similar to some of the Brawl players. Completely formulated on the top of my head and have no real significance:

Legan = Lord HDL - The balanced broskis (because they mix up the mind games and the offensive work)
Izaw = The Germ - The aggresive avengers (self-explanatory)
Deva = Aniki (my role model of Smash Bros) - The impenetrable walls (have a defensive game and combine that with nigh-perfect spacing)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
@Ano and everyone
If you can make a post with all your vids and sort them by who you fought (character, doubles or singles) it would help me out.
lol :troll:

And you have the link for the most recent vid. but anyways: v. Ken Neth: Snake

For doubles:
v. Wario/Jigglypuff, double Ganon

For WiFi:
v. KotierWolf (Link) [I know you lurk these boards, now post plzkthx]

v KotierWolf (Link) 2

I won't post my match v. Heero b/c he johned, and my match as PT v you b/c :troll:.

@Heero: I like your analysis. I haven't personally paid all that much attention to the different playstyles, but they sound pretty accurate.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Are you on right now? Because if you are then Xat is broken... still... because I'm on right now too :/

Nvmnd, it is working fine! :D

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Hopefully one day we can time it so that I can play you guys on WiFi. I'm keen to give it a go.
That would be so fun. I've got finals this morning and a tournament Friday, but otherwise I'm free all day Thursday and Saturday. Hit me up :D

On a sad note, my TV just died D: I'll just have to switch back to my old CRT TV now I guess.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?

Given that there are hardly any of us active anymore, it's not a longshot at all to say that you're 3rd. I think ALSM beats you out handily for that spot but there's only like, six of us? So no matter who you are or what place you get you are top ten :D

Rizen

Smash Legend
:/
Yeah, there are not many Links. Who's active at this point? As in regularly uses Link?
I see X, Scizor, Ano, Rizen, Kotier, Scabe, MegaRobMan, Shawdy, Bomber in Smash 64.

Maybe:
Red Ryu, Legan in low tiers, Cyner in Melee I think, Ninja, IDK if ALSM or Deva still play, I've heard of someone called Ryo but know almost nothing about him, Mr.R might still use Link IDK, Unknown and TriForceOSM might be using him on AiB. (looking for confirmation)

Most Links quit or use other characters :urg:. Some people play him on the side but not seriously.
(sorry if I left anyone out, top of my head thing)

For some reason there's 2 Link players who only post in the Wolf thread but not here (hint, hint)

It would be nice to boost activity but at this point in Brawl's lifespan few people for any character are active and Link's already uncommon :(. At least this forum is doing better than some character forums.

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
Kirin enters some tournament randomly once in awhile.
Mr R uses Link in MMs or Low Tiers.
ALSM same as Mr R.
Deva randomly may enter something if WA has tournament (Scene is inactive there now)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
:/
Yeah, there are not many Links. Who's active at this point? As in regularly uses Link?
I see X, Scizor, Ano, Rizen, Kotier, Scabe, MegaRobMan, Shawdy, Bomber in Smash 64.

Maybe:
Red Ryu, Legan in low tiers, Cyner in Melee I think, Ninja, IDK if ALSM or Deva still play, I've heard of someone called Ryo but know almost nothing about him, Mr.R might still use Link IDK, Unknown and TriForceOSM might be using him on AiB. (looking for confirmation)

Most Links quit or use other characters :urg:. Some people play him on the side but not seriously.
(sorry if I left anyone out, top of my head thing)

For some reason there's 2 Link players who only post in the Wolf thread but not here (hint, hint)

It would be nice to boost activity but at this point in Brawl's lifespan few people for any character are active and Link's already uncommon :(. At least this forum is doing better than some character forums.
Kotier used to do a lot of laddering, but last I heard he's fading out of that.
MegaRobMan only does Link in 64 I think.
I haven't heard anything from Shawdy in months now, and I certainly would never have considered him an active Link main. He went to like 2 smashfests or something (if he went at all)?
RR only uses Link in LT (and considering how rare tournaments of any sort are these days...).
i checked Legan's account when I got back and I don't think he's even been on SWF in 2 years, let alone played in any tourneys.

idk about TriforceOSM or Unknown, but I assume they're still active on the ladder.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It would be nice to have a final Link 'blowout', for lack of a better term, before SSB4 takes over. We could show people Link's not free (just bad, lol). If we could get all the Links together I'm sure everyone could provide great results.

The reason Brawl seems "dead" is because I'm basically the only Brawl TO and I've been super busy this semester with schoolwork and junk. I'm hoping to host something towards the end of May as a graduation party, then there's Z4 in mid-June, Get Hype 3 in late June, and then EVO.

Later in the year I'll be able to host regularly again.
But I'll do what I can and I'm active on wifi.

Honestly, I'm having a terrible time in my life currently so IDK what tourneys I can make and probably none OoS :crying:. It's really hard to be in the position I'm in (bad smash scene, chronic insomnia, taking care of family, responsibilities, depression) and make a difference for Link, lol.

I'll do everything I can still. Post videos for that thread and tourney results, etc and I'll manage them as well as keep helping with critiques and hold stuff up here. Link's matchups should show he's not as free as people think ;) (hopefully we'll get Samus to even). I'm trying to rep Link on AiB and BFC too and have impressed several people
BFC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH7iKAyGOfo
AiB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrTctPlKrms

(shoutout on my profile)
"Thank you. That Link picture is sick. But honestly Your probably the 3rd Best Link I've played which is saying a lot as I usually beat Link man. He out shines your others. It's like Goku going super saiyan. It's a nice gap and it impressed me that you played doubles SOOOO well with Link. Keep it up man. It's just consistency you need but who am I to say it's wifi keep doing your thing."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbkEJfxxYWk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjUFHnMB3pw

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I'm not really tournament active, mostly Wi-Fi active.

And of course, I suck on Wi-Fi, but awesome irl.
Irl, I've only lost 3 competetive matches (and obviously some friendlies.)
On Wif-Fi I've lost... all of them :/

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Wifi's not everyone's cup of tea and offline is better if you have it anyway. Good work FB :). Post videos if you have them.

I seen a lot of people improving :). I'll try and find Links like Legen and others and get their current videos and results; I want Link to be remembered by something better than how Legan played in 2010. I really see Link's potential as a character shining through more now than ever.

Ano's had to play other characters because they said his Link was too good, lol. Great Link rep :)
X you've done incredible at tourneys ;).
Kotier's really gotten better and shown how Link should be played.
Bomber's repping the 64 Link.
I want to hear more about what Scabe and Red Ryu do with Link ;)
And other Links have done great too.

Everyone's done great work :awesome:

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
PROJECT: LINK2013

REACTIVATE SCABE [Unchecked]
CONVINCE RED RYU TO USE LINK [Unchecked]
GET RIZEN TO NOT CONFUSE MY PLAY-IN-COLLEGE-LEAGUE RESULTS WITH MY COMPETITIVE PLAY RESULTS [Unchecked] ;)

Ano's had to play other characters because they said his Link was too good, lol. Great Link rep :)
xD

EDIT: http://smashboards.com/entries/bott...to-the-big-fields-including-tournaments.4628/
I don't agree with him in that tiers don't exist (because some characters have a lot more creative and effective potential in a variety of situations than others) but other than that I think he gets at the heart of the mentality we need to do well. I've been trying to just figure out what I can do rather than worry about what I can't, and it got me a 3rd place in Utah (not that that is extremely impressive, but still).

Rizen

Smash Legend
You shouldn't down play your work either; it's great Link rep in BBrawl events too and you're out there doing something. :)
I've found with anything, wifi etc, you have to treat it as what it is but no less.

From the link:
"Who knows, but the matter of fact is they need to experiment. Test some tricks, and see where it will lead them."

I agree. People said Link's spotdodge slide (dash>shield+diagonally down= immediately spotdodges like a shield dash slide) wouldn't mean anything but I love that as a mix up to land Dsmash.
People (on AiB) also said Link's wind is useless but I've been experimenting with it for a long time, including the push distance and, well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_0wzq5AuZ4&feature=player_detailpage#t=25s :p

Tesh

Smash Hero
I think I brought up rising zair cancel in here a while ago, do any of you active links incorporate it for flash or efficiency?

Rizen

Smash Legend
A long, long time ago in a Link boards far away... yep.

I wonder what happened to Wafflez? He contributed a lot to the online community.

I think I brought up rising zair cancel in here a while ago, do any of you active links incorporate it for flash or efficiency?
Zair's not really meant to rise with because you can't fast fall after starting it, Zair has a ton of ending lag but landing cancels. Sometimes I'll Zair at the height of a jump http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GU-i8OKjlI&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s but you want to do it so Link will fall as the attack goes on.

Rising Nair can be a great OoS option and rising Bair and Fair are good for quick spacing. Dair and Uair are usually best started rising. Zair's not best when rising.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I don't platform cancel with Zair. The only place it really helps would be SV because Link's low jumps seem to cling to platforms anyway. It does look useful for SV.

Tesh

Smash Hero
link's full hop cant reach the platform without platform cancelling

Rizen

Smash Legend
I know. That's why it looks useful for SV. Usually I try to get projectile out when jumping to the platform so I didn't use Zair.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I'm talking about platform cancelling with zair. So the hitbox rises as you land. I don't know what the technical term for it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8KfgsOmfc
This is so awesome and flashy. I'mma wow all my friends with this.

Man I'd love to pull off some of the stuff in that video. Some really creative stuff in there.

Tesh

Smash Hero
how much hitstun does zair have? i just noticed it looked like i combod up zair into down zair, it would be pretty hilarious if that actually worked on tall characters like ganon and snake

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Well it was good to realise how bad WiFi is again. Let that be a warning to anyone who wants to vs me, my connection sucks. I still had a lot of fun Rizen. GG's

Top Bottom