• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Rizen

Smash Legend
So is this useful at all?
I haven't tested it vs people. Since it takes the same amount of time as shield dashing, it should be good for answering grabs/pivot grabs and quick escape mindgames. The examples were approaches which wasn't the idea.
If Ike's Fsmashing we could Spotdodge Slide in and grab or (better yet) Fsmash him with no shield pushback and so on vs big slow moves but it's more for anti-grab mindgames. Link slides out of most grab ranges safely and can use any ground move after. SDSlide away>backwards Fsmash with 'C'. It's not great but Link's rolls are even worse and going into a moving spotdodge is the safest dodge option besides airdodging. There's only 5 of 25 frames in the process where Link's vulnerable.
DODGES

Spotdodge
Frame 1: Intangible
Frame 20: Vulnerable
Frame 25: IASA

Forward Roll
Frame 3: Intangible
Frame 19: Vulnerable. (at this point you are officially facing the other way)
Frame 37: IASA

Backward Roll
Frame 19: Vulnerable
Frame 37: IASA

Air Dodge
Frame 29: Vulnerable

Rizen

Smash Legend
Dash>Shield and rotate the control stick down at a steep angle at the same time. Link slides well and has a great spotdodge so his will be more useful- any character should be able to do it. See the video thread.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I've been thinking about how to improve my Link. Here's a few tips that I've come up with and decided to post:

The player who is generally accepted as the best Marth main, Neo, says that he gets amazing practice in training mode. He spends hours just practicing commonly needed inputs and sequences to seal them down in his muscle memory.
The tip: spend some quality time in training mode getting all of Link's ATs and general movement under your fingers.

Lots of people take the most damage from punishment. What is punishment caused by? Predictability. Don't be predictable.
The tip: think up some multiple things to use in every situation (IE: replacing Dash Attack with DACUS on occassion).

All I have for now; bed time.

Discuss :chuckle:

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about how to improve my Link. Here's a few tips that I've come up with and decided to post:

The player who is generally accepted as the best Marth main, Neo, says that he gets amazing practice in training mode. He spends hours just practicing commonly needed inputs and sequences to seal them down in his muscle memory.
The tip: spend some quality time in training mode getting all of Link's ATs and general movement under your fingers.

Lots of people take the most damage from punishment. What is punishment caused by? Predictability. Don't be predictable.
The tip: think up some multiple things to use in every situation (IE: replacing Dash Attack with DACUS on occassion).

All I have for now; bed time.

Discuss :chuckle:
Ahh yes predictability. This is the main reason why I switched to Link as my main. I used to main Yoshi but I had to get in close range for nearly all attacks and at times would struggle to do so; especially if I was getting outcamped. With Link it's different because you have the bombs, boomerang and arrows to mix up from a distance. Even at close range these projectiles help in addition to Link's sword attacks. Once you learn some different mixups through muscle memory you can then use an assortment of combinations to punish your opponents predictability when applicable. It's all about options and using those options with patience, intelligence and efficiency. You learn from experience what generally works and then you roll with it.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Ahh yes predictability. This is the main reason why I switched to Link as my main. I used to main Yoshi but I had to get in close range for nearly all attacks and at times would struggle to do so; especially if I was getting outcamped. With Link it's different because you have the bombs, boomerang and arrows to mix up from a distance. Even at close range these projectiles help in addition to Link's sword attacks. Once you learn some different mixups through muscle memory you can then use an assortment of combinations to punish your opponents predictability when applicable. It's all about options and using those options with patience, intelligence and efficiency. You learn from experience what generally works and then you roll with it.
Yes. Another key to improvement is practice- not just in practice mode. It's necessary to apply what you work on in practice when you're faced with the actual in-game situations. I think my biggest block is not having a Brawl partner; hopefully that will change soon.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Yes. Another key to improvement is practice- not just in practice mode. It's necessary to apply what you work on in practice when you're faced with the actual in-game situations. I think my biggest block is not having a Brawl partner; hopefully that will change soon.
I try and vs. my friend at least once or twice a week. He doesn't live too far from me and often times we Smash live at my house if work and school aren't too hectic. If not live then on Wifi. This has helped me soo much already in just a matter of 2-3 weeks since switching to Link. I'm also glad he uses Metaknight as a secondary because I'm learning that difficult matchup more and more gradually. He mains Wolf and plays a good Olimar and Wario; therefore I'm getting a nice variety platter of characters to get experience against.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I try and vs. my friend at least once or twice a week. He doesn't live too far from me and often times we Smash live at my house if work and school aren't too hectic. If not live then on Wifi. This has helped me soo much already in just a matter of 2-3 weeks since switching to Link. I'm also glad he uses Metaknight as a secondary because I'm learning that difficult matchup more and more gradually. He mains Wolf and plays a good Olimar and Wario; therefore I'm getting a nice variety platter of characters to get experience against.
That's awesome. I used to have a perfect system; my cousin played. He mained Samus and used Wario, Olimar, and Donkey Kong as backups. I could play against him for practice, double with him for 2v2 tournaments, and be in constant contact with him- then he quit.

I guess it's practice mode and Wi-Fi for me =)

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I moved down to Charleston for pharmacy school and this was my first year, so I didn't know anyone to play, and didn't really have much time to do anything else aside from studying (and visiting SWF when I don't feel like studying while in the library :D). I found computers to be very good practice partners as long as you pretend they're people; if you just sit there and spam you don't learn anything. But computers are hella good if you play them seriously (except edgeguarding; they're so dumb off the edge). The biggest thing you can learn is how to dodge and what you have that can or can't be escaped. Thankfully I'm back home, so now I have people I can play against, although there are never any tourneys in SC :(

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I tried finding where Carolina scene is but I really have no idea where abouts in America it is.

Have you tried looking in the regional zones? http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Find the place that is closest to Carolina out of all the Atlantic North, Midwest etc and then PM a mod of the room and ask if there's a Carolina scene and see if they can help you out. Hopefully this helps.

Sometimes I play against computers to get some very basic matchup knowledge. It's also good to practice new ideas on them before trying them out on real people. In my opinion:
Playing Offline Real Opponents is the best then WiFi then CPU's.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
My personal preference is to Smash live. If I can't Smash live then Smash online against friends. If that fails I just practice against 3 Level 9's in a 10-20 stock free for all. All the CPU's basically team up against me so this training helps me get patient on when to attack and not get hit in return. With any character it's all about waiting for the right time to attack. This is especially important for Link.

Granted Free for Alls are way different than one vs. one; but at least this is another aspect of training to use to hopefully get better. Anything is better than nothing; but then again practice makes permanent as oppose to practice makes perfect; so hopefully this method of training isn't a complete waste.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think going into training mode, MikeHAZE's hyperbolic time chamber, is a good way to practice inputs and precision ny yourself. Then moving onto CPU's to test it out while under pressure.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Oh yeah I forgot about Training mode: Offline > Training Mode > WiFi > CPU. And it's probably best to play 1v1s against CPU's instead of 3 on 1 stuff.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
**** the Blue Eyes White Dragon. Seriously.

And yeah, Scabe, I checked out the South Carolina thread, although it seems everyone who plays in the Charleston area plays Melee instead of Brawl, and my Dr. Mario is pretty subpar. I did find a guy back home who I'm gonna try to hook up with though; Ryanarius. From what I hear he's got the best Pit in the Atlantic South region.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Hahaha, that was amazing. Not gonna lie, I still hit up the cards once in a while.

**** the Blue Eyes White Dragon. Seriously.

And yeah, Scabe, I checked out the South Carolina thread, although it seems everyone who plays in the Charleston area plays Melee instead of Brawl, and my Dr. Mario is pretty subpar. I did find a guy back home who I'm gonna try to hook up with though; Ryanarius. From what I hear he's got the best Pit in the Atlantic South region.
Lol, Pit.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I've given all my PJL2 stuff to Lootic to hold on to so I can be in it, so he's got that down for me.

Meaning I'm free to take off from these boards. So, I'm not gonna check back to these forums for a long time. Good luck with all your efforts, guys!

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I've given all my PJL2 stuff to Lootic to hold on to so I can be in it, so he's got that down for me.

Meaning I'm free to take off from these boards. So, I'm not gonna check back to these forums for a long time. Good luck with all your efforts, guys!
And so close to 1,000 posts too!
See you around (maybe) Anonano.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

Toodles! Have fun on your trip, and try not to miss us too much ^_~

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Gee this sounds familiar. /jk

Well I hope your trip goes well, thanks for helping me out when I had logic breaks.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So I've learned why Link is so hard to kill vertically.

Each character's potential to vertical momentum cancel hinges on the difference between the speed of their regular fall, and the speed of their fast fall. Link, who possesses the largest difference, gains the most benefit from vertical momentum canceling, while Wolf, who has the smallest difference, benefits the least.
It's probably all old news to you guys though.

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Momentum_Canceling

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Scabe way to put me on the spot. :mad:

And never about knew that tidbit of knowledge.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
WHAT. Nooo! Nday you traitor!

And I didn't know that either, Scabe, although I knew Link was in all practicality impossible to kill straight up, considering he's so much easier to gimp. And I do play Wolf (he's easily my second best character) and noticed momentum cancelling did like nothing to help him.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So it seems Dair is best for momentum cancelling vertically. I use b-air for everything but I gotta give Dair a shot.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So it seems Dair is best for momentum cancelling vertically. I use b-air for everything but I gotta give Dair a shot.
Throwing a bomb down activates fast falling like Dair and is the fastest aerial if Link's holding one.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I always use bair too. I've noticed that some of the pros like Legan and Deva used dair sometimes, but I didn't know for sure if it was any extra help and I hated feeling so vulnerable as I fast fell while stuck using dair like that. Does anyone know just how much it helps? Regardless, I think I'm gonna have to start using it when I get hit and feel like I'll die otherwise.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I always use bair too. I've noticed that some of the pros like Legan and Deva used dair sometimes, but I didn't know for sure if it was any extra help and I hated feeling so vulnerable as I fast fell while stuck using dair like that. Does anyone know just how much it helps? Regardless, I think I'm gonna have to start using it when I get hit and feel like I'll die otherwise.
It's amazing. If you don't have the frame-perfect timing to get the full benefit of B-Air, then you're better off using D-Air.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Unless you're launched horizontally or a short-medium distance then you want to start pulling bombs and spamming ASAP.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So I've been watching a few of my old vids of my Link and I'm lsuprised to see how good I was back then. I've gotten alot worse, I really don't understand how to use Link now. :urg:

Okay I think I've figured it out, back then I didn't focus much on reading and just played Link with 'feeling'. Which meant my reading skills were quite bad, and I guess ever since I've started reading my opponents that's when I've become worse as a player. So hopefully in time my reading skills will be good and I'll get that 'feeling' with Link again. :link:

Top Bottom