• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LAST Smashfest Wed Aug 26th - The Vro Zone [MELEE]

john!

Smash Hero
Omg. Now it's a God discussion LOL.

Meneks is right, free will + cosmological argument is a solid rebuttal for most atheist claims. I've debated way too many atheists and it gets really repetitive. :dizzy:

EDIT: And "women can't drive" was an exaggeration. Geez. :laugh:

raychun1

Smash Apprentice
i texted this to george, but if(major if) it was a smasher then it was either mars or norm. i realized i was with john when he drove back to vro's and he stayed after to put my tv into the car. jazzness couldn't have done it either bc i was with him when he drove to cici's.

i have nothing against either mars or norm, but they're the only two smashers that coulda done it. i'm not saying one of them actually did it, but they're the only 2 that left on their own without someone seeing them.

i'm beginning to think it was a random person, but that dead.end area is really unlikely to encourage ppl driving down there. it's possible it happened while we were at cici's.

Vro

Smash Lord
The fact of the matter is the spontaneous generation theory has been proven to be false.
It really can NOT happen.
Something of course can not come from nothing.
I'd like to see your sources. Because given an infinite time frame and with what our scientists of today say is possible of spontaneous generation, I believe otherwise.

No interest this Saturday, huh? I'll hold off a week if no one steps up and says they want to play.

Mars-

Smash Champion
i texted this to george, but if(major if) it was a smasher then it was either mars or norm. i realized i was with john when he drove back to vro's and he stayed after to put my tv into the car. jazzness couldn't have done it either bc i was with him when he drove to cici's.

i have nothing against either mars or norm, but they're the only two smashers that coulda done it. i'm not saying one of them actually did it, but they're the only 2 that left on their own without someone seeing them.

i'm beginning to think it was a random person, but that dead.end area is really unlikely to encourage ppl driving down there. it's possible it happened while we were at cici's.
LOL ray I was the second person to leave.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
I'd like to see your sources. Because given an infinite time frame and with what our scientists of today say is possible of spontaneous generation, I believe otherwise.

No interest this Saturday, huh? I'll hold off a week if no one steps up and says they want to play.
you should prob make another thread that would attract more attention

Zicore

Smash Champion
I would like to say, that after going to Catholic Schools my entire life, going to church almost every sunday from the age of 0 to 18, plus almost once more a week at school, having to take religion classes my entire life, getting confirmed and going to confession a lot, that there is not a chance in hell that there is a "god".

Organized Religion makes me lawl.

Zeu$

Smash Journeyman
I would like to say, that after going to Catholic Schools my entire life, going to church almost every sunday from the age of 0 to 18, plus almost once more a week at school, having to take religion classes my entire life, getting confirmed and going to confession a lot, that there is not a chance in hell that there is a "god".

Organized Religion makes me lawl.
Rofl, catholicism could be consider sacrilegous

I could knock the towers on this religion **** but I'll refrain. Just realize the utter absurdity of an all seeing all knowing all powerful deity created his own antihero to **** with his OWN creations.

Real talk the stereotypical idea of Satan has been skewed, if you actually read the bible he could be seen as a bad cop to God's good cop. **** has too many angles.:psycho:

Ninja edit: even though I'm not religous, being a douchebag towards people who are is just mean. Now if they won't listen to reason and are being ***** themselves all gloves come the **** off. If anyone wants to really debate this they should make a thread in the Social room...

Meneks

Smash Lord
lol my sources?
Highschool biology books...

Here is some info i found from Infoplease.com

Redi's Experiment and Needham's Rebuttal

In 1668, Francesco Redi, an Italian scientist, designed a scientific experiment to test the spontaneous creation of maggots by placing fresh meat in each of two different jars. One jar was left open; the other was covered with a cloth. Days later, the open jar contained maggots, whereas the covered jar contained no maggots. He did note that maggots were found on the exterior surface of the cloth that covered the jar. Redi successfully demonstrated that the maggots came from fly eggs and thereby helped to disprove spontaneous generation. Or so he thought.

In England, John Needham challenged Redi's findings by conducting an experiment in which he placed a broth, or “gravy,” into a bottle, heated the bottle to kill anything inside, then sealed it. Days later, he reported the presence of life in the broth and announced that life had been created from nonlife. In actuality, he did not heat it long enough to kill all the microbes.
Spallanzani's Experiment

Lazzaro Spallanzani, also an Italian scientist, reviewed both Redi's and Needham's data and experimental design and concluded that perhaps Needham's heating of the bottle did not kill everything inside. He constructed his own experiment by placing broth in each of two separate bottles, boiling the broth in both bottles, then sealing one bottle and leaving the other open. Days later, the unsealed bottle was teeming with small living things that he could observe more clearly with the newly invented microscope. The sealed bottle showed no signs of life. This certainly excluded spontaneous generation as a viable theory. Except it was noted by scientists of the day that Spallanzani had deprived the closed bottle of air, and it was thought that air was necessary for spontaneous generation. So although his experiment was successful, a strong rebuttal blunted his claims.

Pasteur's Experiment

Louis Pasteur, the notable French scientist, accepted the challenge to re-create the experiment and leave the system open to air. He subsequently designed several bottles with S-curved necks that were oriented downward so gravity would prevent access by airborne foreign materials. He placed a nutrient-enriched broth in one of the goose-neck bottles, boiled the broth inside the bottle, and observed no life in the jar for one year. He then broke off the top of the bottle, exposing it more directly to the air, and noted life-forms in the broth within days. He noted that as long as dust and other airborne particles were trapped in the S-shaped neck of the bottle, no life was created until this obstacle was removed. He reasoned that the contamination came from life-forms in the air. Pasteur finally convinced the learned world that even if exposed to air, life did not arise from nonlife.

Its just impossible something can not come from nothing, I'm not saying this as a theory that I support i'm saying it cause it is FACT..
Now im not saying god is real but in order for us to be here today some sort of "high power"
(and note that when i say "higher power" that could mean anything)
had to have been the reason we are here today.

I would also like to add that this day an age if you're smart enough you can probably fool someone into believing the world is actually flat given an "infinite time frame."

Once again the info i posted above is from infoplease.com

I also think Pasteur's Experiment was the most famous although im not particularly sure

alcheato

Smash Ace
I'm gonna hit up the post office and see who delivered the mail on saturday...maybe they got some dents in their car <_<

Also, I could get insurance to cover this, but my premiums would skyrocket, making it cost more in the long run. So my parents are just gonna pay for it.

....lame *** ****er who did this is gonna get whats coming to him(or as we deduced, a her, obviously :D)

What I don't get it is why the dent is so big. You had to ram my car pretty hard to make that big of a dent, so either A. they did it on purpose or B. They are awful drivers that can't see my huge *** boat of a car.

I've had bad luck involving smash and driving.
1. $140 speeding ticket on the way home from e-52
2. Tiny accident on the way to damians(my fault, but it was a stopped car and I was going 1 mph, so like no damage to either car lool)
3. this ****in ****er hit my parked car.

All this in the past 2 weeks.

I think god is telling me to quit smash.
Well if it makes you feel any better:

1) SMYM 6: I had my car towed while at U of I. Also, my water pump broke when I was dropping some friends off at Western on the ride back. I had to stay at Western (on an all girl floor so it was even weirder) for 3 days and the whole trip cost me around $650.

2) Missed a few tolls going to Smash tournies and I got like $200 in tickets for that a year later. I guess that was my fault but still, $200 in tickets for like $5 in missed tolls = super gay.

3) Had my car slide into a ditch during the winter on the way home and I had to pay $120 to get it towed out.

4) Got $100 speeding ticket going to the Cave in Geneva which was only 40 minutes from where I lived! That cop was a **** though... I was only going 5 over.

5) Just like a month ago at COB I got a flat tire on the way there AND a ticket from the city while my car was parked even though I put like $12 the parking meter. Worst parking ever.

And I barely even go to Smash tournies! There's a reason I don't play much Smash anymore.

Edit: As far as this religion talk goes, spontaneous generation- as in living organisms from nothing- has been disproved for sometime. However, matter from energy is possible. That's the whole basis for Einstein's E = mc^2, which was used in building the atomic bomb.

cykofox

Smash Ace
Well if it makes you feel any better:

1) SMYM 6: I had my car towed while at U of I. Also, my water pump broke when I was dropping some friends off at Western on the ride back. I had to stay at Western (on an all girl floor so it was even weirder) for 3 days and the whole trip cost me around $650.

2) Missed a few tolls going to Smash tournies and I got like $200 in tickets for that a year later. I guess that was my fault but still, $200 in tickets for like $5 in missed tolls = super gay.

3) Had my car slide into a ditch during the winter on the way home and I had to pay $120 to get it towed out.

4) Got $100 speeding ticket going to the Cave in Geneva which was only 40 minutes from where I lived! That cop was a **** though... I was only going 5 over.

5) Just like a month ago at COB I got a flat tire on the way there AND a ticket from the city while my car was parked even though I put like $12 the parking meter. Worst parking ever.

And I barely even go to Smash tournies! There's a reason I don't play much Smash anymore.
Theres is too much fail in this post.
why would staying in a all girl floor be weird? step it up..

alcheato

Smash Ace
Theres is too much fail in this post.
why would staying in a all girl floor be weird? step it up..
lol maybe because it was with a friend I'd known for years, or because every time I went to use the shower I got the weirdest looks from the chicks on the floor. Any other time I'm sure it would've been better but when I'm stuck somewhere with no money figuring out how the hell I'm going to the 175 miles back home with a broken car...yeah, there was no way that was going to be fun. Besides, I was way more awkward in those days. ;)

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
So we talked to the post office, and they found no damage on the car that delivered that mail route on Saturday. They say they could launch a formal investigation, but that would require "sworn eye-witness testimony", which I don't have. So I am kind of out of options.

Zicore were you serious when you said that the white paint does not indicated a white car hit me? I should have asked the guy at the auto body place when I got my estimate.

Vro I am interested in a smashfest whenever, but I dunno if I am moving to Purdue or not so I am kind of in limbo until tomorrow afternoon(when i find out if i got the job). Also thanks for hooking my bro up the other day with some goodies, he appreciated it :D.

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord

well as i said before, i was the first person who got to vro's and had already turned around.. so i'd have to be a pretty crappy driver to hit his car when all i had to do was pull straight out.. but i consider myself a pretty good driver. I haven't ever gotten a ticket nor have i got into any accidents.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Little do people know that i purposely told people i had other plans, but actually just went to Vro's house and did some major damage to microwave's car, went home, subscribed to this forum, and then made some popcorn.

Zicore

Smash Champion
So we talked to the post office, and they found no damage on the car that delivered that mail route on Saturday. They say they could launch a formal investigation, but that would require "sworn eye-witness testimony", which I don't have. So I am kind of out of options.

Zicore were you serious when you said that the white paint does not indicated a white car hit me? I should have asked the guy at the auto body place when I got my estimate.

Vro I am interested in a smashfest whenever, but I dunno if I am moving to Purdue or not so I am kind of in limbo until tomorrow afternoon(when i find out if i got the job). Also thanks for hooking my bro up the other day with some goodies, he appreciated it :D.
when paint comes off of a car, its generally always white. Put a scratch in a place nobody see's with metal or whatever product is used to make bumpers. I got hit by a red car before, and I had white scratches. I also hit a person with my gray puke colored car and the scratches were white as well. Idk, maybe I'm crazy or something.

Meneks

Smash Lord
I say all the people who drove saturday meet up again and whoever had damages on their from or back bumper probably did it.

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
Little do people know that i purposely told people i had other plans, but actually just went to Vro's house and did some major damage to microwave's car, went home, subscribed to this forum, and then made some popcorn.

that made me laugh. XD

Vro

Smash Lord
Its just impossible something can not come from nothing, I'm not saying this as a theory that I support i'm saying it cause it is FACT..
Everyone acknowledges the first law of thermodynamics. I'm not arguing about matter being created from nothing. I'm talking about nucleic acids and amino acids combining into protein cells spontaneously. It's been widely accepted that life can originate from non-life.

I would also like to add that this day an age if you're smart enough you can probably fool someone into believing the world is actually flat given an "infinite time frame."
How little faith you have in the infinite expanse of time and space we cannot imagine experiencing.

---

I'm hosting a getogether tomorrow after dinner. Whatever time that means to you. Call me ahead of time to let me know you're coming. If you're coming, please let everyone in this thread know so we can figure if we need another setup.

I don't think I'm going to host another tournement this Saturday unless interest peaks. Next Saturday will get much more interest, imo.

Tink

Smash Hero
me trail cunning and big C will be there.....we should get into town around 4, and can prolly be there by 5 if thats cool.....i think...ill post more when i know more =).

Meneks

Smash Lord
Everyone acknowledges the first law of thermodynamics. I'm not arguing about matter being created from nothing. I'm talking about nucleic acids and amino acids combining into protein cells spontaneously. It's been widely accepted that life can originate from non-life.
Well then thats a TOTALLY different argument.
There are two different acids in the equation that contribute to the making of the a protein cell Not spontaneous generation.
Spontaneously generating and spontaneously combining are ofcourse two very different subject matters.

I think it is pretty safe to say that a piece of raw meat did not spontaneously combine within its self to make maggots appear.

How little faith you have in the infinite expanse of time and space we cannot imagine experiencing.
This made me lol.

Vro

Smash Lord
Zec, I do plan on hosting a tournament the 20th. The smashfest tonight is still scheduled to commence around 7. Zues, metra costs 3-4 dollars each way. I'm begging for 2 more setups.

House rules still apply:
1) No shoes in the house.
2) No smoking in the house.
3) Clean up after yourself.
4) Respect the house.
5) No house exploring.

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
Zec, I do plan on hosting a tournament the 20th. The smashfest tonight is still scheduled to commence around 7. Zues, metra costs 3-4 dollars each way. I'm begging for 2 more setups.

House rules still apply:
1) No shoes in the house.
2) No smoking in the house.
3) Clean up after yourself.
4) Respect the house.
5) No house exploring.

You should start a thread on this.... :) --I'm showin up tonight.

-Zec

Meneks

Smash Lord
I would come, but'll it'll cost me like 20$ to ride the metra there lol
I went to the first vro zone and it only cost $5!!!
But it was on a saturday..
If this one is on a saturday then you should ask for the "weekend pass"
Its only 5 bucks so its worth it rather then getting a one way ticket.

Zeu$

Smash Journeyman
so from perusing the schedules...I would need to take the electric line, stop at the millenium station, then get on that one to hinsdale? correct?

what time do these thangs usually end?

Top Bottom