• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LasT Smash 2 - Baton Rouge, La. (11/22/08) Melee/ Brawl!

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman

LasT Smash 2

(Laser Tag Smash 2)

5871 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd.,
Baton Rouge, LA 70816

Saturday, November 22nd
11:00am show up
11:30/ 12pm registration opens
1:00 Melee starts

When Melee gets a ways into the bracket, we'll start Brawl pools.

11:30 pm Pickup

Brawl and Melee Singles
(Maybe teams with time/ demand. We don't have forever.)

Know the rules.

I will hold every player responsible for knowing the rules. For instance, if you play a game on a stage you didn't know was banned, TOO BAD.

General Rules

(Brawl and Melee)
  • Show up at 11:00am
  • $10 per person per division; NO VENUE FEE!!
  • Pools to double-elimination bracket
  • 1v1; no items; best 2/3 (3/5 for finals)
  • 55/25/15/5 cash split;
  • Bring your own controller
  • advanced slob picks
  • Stage bans: each player may ban one stage after stage striking occurs
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: a player/ team may not pick a stage that he won on previously in a set
  • Ties broken by stock then percent. If still tied, a 1 stock game will be played. No sudden death.
  • No modded controllers (except cosmetic mods)
  • No excessive stalling.
  • No outside food or drinks

Pools

Pools will be 2 games, not best 2/3. A random or agreed upon stage will be used for both games. We'll take the best records and make a bracket, size depending on time.

Brawl Specific Rules

• 3 stock; 7:00 (ties by percent/stock)
  • Stage striking for first pick (players may agree on a stage or random)
  • If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

STAGE STRIKING:

We will use STAGE STRIKING to start the set. NOT RANDOM. Basically, Player A chooses one stage from the Starter list that he doesn't want to play. Player B picks a stage he doesn't want from the remaining list. Players A & B alternate until only one stage is left. This is the stage for the first match.

Stage List
------------
Starter:
Lylat, FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's, Delfino, Pokemon Stadium 1

Counterpick:

Halberd, Brinstar, Castle Siege, Frigate, Rainbow Cruise, PS2, Pictochat, Norfair, Jungle Japes, and Pirate Ship

Banned:
The rest

-----------------

Melee Specific Rules

• 4 stock/ 8 minutes
  • Random for first pick
  • Wobbling is banned
  • No use of glitches which freeze the game (Mewtwo, IC)
Random Stages:
FD, Battlefield, Dreamland, FoD, Yoshi's Story, Poke Stadium

CP Stages:
Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle 64, Jungle Japes, Mute City, Poke Floats, Corneria, Brinstar

Banned Stages:
Everything else

--------------------------------------------------------------

I probably forgot a few rules. Just tell if there's something I should add. The only real change in the Brawl Rules is that PS1 is a Starter and Castle Siege is CP.

Now, I want to have a lot of setups. If you have a Gamecube, Wii, or TV (CRT), then please bring it. I'll get a list together of who can bring what soon. I'll also get a list of prospective attendees.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Prospective Attendees
By no means is this a complete list, especially for local players. It should still provide a decent estimate for minimum size though. A "?" is by players who I've heard are interested, but haven't confirmed anything.

La. 25
Fakegeorge
Pritch
EET
Lee
Chaddly
Pierre
TaylorHJ
Redson
Battousai
Bomber7
Emosso
Li-D100
Setsuma
PKThunder
Chimera
vegta12
Ever_Power
Roni
RickyB
Cyphus
Patrick
FlareFox
Nikz0r
Ran Iji
Drew

Fla. 6
Mankosuki
Boomstick
Rice
DrummaBoi
RAM
HolyChef ?

Ms. 9
-Chad-
Ihavespaceballs
Hyperdragon
NESn00b
Myztek
Shai Hulud
Iori ?
3GOD ?
Cyner?

Tx. 6
Popertop
SeeWhy
takeurlife
Esca
Revised/ G@be
Seiya7

Ark. 1
Vts ?

Setups
14 fulls setups:
-14 TVs 4 to go!
-10 Wiis/Brawl 2 to go!
-8 Cubes/ Melee 0 to go!
-4 Power Strips 4 to go!

FakeGeorge - 2 TVs; 2 Wiis/Brawl; 1 Cube/Melee; 2 Power Strips; recording stuff
Redson - 1 Wii/Brawl
Pritch - 1TV/Cube/Melee
TaylorHJ - 2 TVs; 1 Cube/Melee; 1 Wii/Brawl
Bomber7 - 1 Wii/ Brawl; 1 Cube/ Melee
Mankosuki - 1 TV; 1 Wii/Brawl; 1 Cube/ Melee; VCR(s) & camcorder
Nick - 2 TVs; 1 Wii/ Brawl; 1 Cube/ Melee; recording stuff
NES n00b - 1 TV; Melee
Roni - 1 TV; 1 Cube/ Melee; 1 Wii/ Brawl
Gary - 2 TVs; 1 Wii/ Brawl; (1 Cube/Melee?)
Ran Iji - 1 Tv; 1 Wii/ Brawl
Shai Hulud - 1 TV; 1 Cube/ Melee; 2 power strips

Pritch

Smash Lord
Woo melee in LA. I'm there.

Also, I guess this is where I'm supposed to make some comment about first post or some such nonsense.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
You should specify Kongo Jungle 64 and not the regular Kongo Jungle.

Other than that, you're good. Unless you feel like using Green Greens too. =P

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
since it's Melee & Brawl maybe I an actually convince the old crew to come along this time.

I assume Taylor would provide housing for FL?

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for pointing that out, Vaughn. Though, I'd hope that anyone who will still enter a Melee tournament at this point knows which Kongo Jungle is legal, haha.

The Panhandle should definitely come to this. It was pretty cool meeting those who came last year.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
since it's Melee & Brawl maybe I an actually convince the old crew to come along this time.

I assume Taylor would provide housing for FL?
Taylor says he might not come to this, so he might not post here or anything. But we live in the same apartment, so I can ask him if we can. I'm sure he wouldn't mind it though, but just to make sure, I'm going to ask him later.

Sudai

Stuff here
Speaking of which, would it be cool if Subai stayed as well? Possibly M-Matt (Monroe guy) and Patrick(LATech guy) but not too sure on either. I'm sure M-Matt would come, I just need to talk to him.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Of course. You guys and FL would probably be the only ones staying, though. We don't have that much room. Wish we did, though. =[

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Why might Taylor miss this? I figured he'd be all over a Melee tournament.

Anyways, thanks for housing people and stuff. It helps.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Actually he wants to do it now. I guess Whole Foods is his thinking place cuz that's where he thought about it. LOL

eet

Smash Ace
taylor says:

idk i was just mad that melee is so dead. its like having a favorite food, but you'll never be allowed to get it ever again. then someone offers you just one last bite. would you take it? idk. it was a frustrating decision. but yeah, ima come. and win.

i would like to be in charge of the entire melee tourney. pool seeding, bracket construction, any random rule set that might be questionable, ect.; not just running my pool. >.>
get back to me on this randall.

and yes florida is more than welcome. even if i didnt attend the tourney, i wouldnt miss a chance to see some old friends. if anyone from tx decides to come, they are welcome to stay too. it may be a little cramped but oh well lol. if tx comes, ill tell ken to stay at his gfs house and new orleans will have to go home that night or find another place. if tx doesnt show up, everyone is welcome. someone spam crystal city about this!

-taylorhj

edit:: wobbles should be banned.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I imagine we'll have more Melee tournaments in the future, but they will probably be few and far between. If there's ever a month that Gary isn't doing other stuff at Gameware, we could definitely try Melee alongside Brawl.

I don't have a problem with you doing that stuff for Melee. I know you're competent, plus I trust you to be fair with seeding and stuff. We can talk about it this weekend; I'm sure we'll come by the apartment at some point.

As for wobbling, I don't think it should be banned. A cap to prevent stalling should be set, I guess. 175-200% should be enough to KO anyone on any stage from anywhere. Maybe even 150%? I'm not entirely opposed to banning it, if you can give me some good reasons.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Hey, I'm part fl. Do I get to stay at your place, taylor? Totally don't mind crashing on some random portion of floor.

eet

Smash Ace
wobbling is just too cheap. i mean i doubt it will even be an issue unless alot of random oosers come but i remember losing too a nub at FC: D because of 2 wobbles in a 3 stock match. i mean, yes; it's you're fault for getting grabbed, but it's entirely too hard to avoid getting grabbed one time, especially with ice's WD. one grab and there goes a stock. i beat the nub easily when he played peach, switched to Ice and barely one twice with only wobbles. also, lee's inexperienced Ice (not to say that they weren't good, but the majority of his damage was done by wobbling), beat rice at LAST 1. it's just like, theres no way out of it. people argue that marth's grab on fox and falco is broken, but with smash DI and good tactics, you can get out of it. this is not the case with ice. one grab, stock down.

-taylor

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
In Lee's case, I thought he just mashed A really fast instead of doing a true wobble. He still got 70ish % in one game, but maybe Rice could have gotten out a bit sooner? I dunno. Also, IC have to be more or less together when they grab or you could break out before Nana can start the wobble.

In the end, if you and other Melee people want wobbling banned, then I can ban it. I don't think anyone would really be upset by it being banned, as this won't be too large of a tournament. I personally think that it can be beaten/ worked around anyways.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
You should definitely come back to BR for this.

Also, I can ask about housing for you, if you'd like.

Pritch

Smash Lord
I'll go on record saying that I don't think wobbling is ban-worthy, personally. I mean, it's not like IC's don't have other ways to kill you in one grab (or sometimes 2, depending on the character). I just think that the practical difference between wobbling and the other **** he can do off a grab is minor enough when all is said and done that if you're going to ban wobbling you might as well just ban the character.

(Note, I am NOT pushing for an IC ban. I think that'd be pretty ridiculous, in fact. I just don't think wobbling is sufficiently broken that it should be banned.)

eet

Smash Ace
alright well when yall get wobbled twice in a 3 stock match vs a noob with rly good timing in pressing 'a' then maybe you will understand.

in general, i dont think it will matter. i dont think any ice mains will attend and if lee wobbles me i'll just kill him.

-taylorhj

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
3GOD: I am going to be in Ocean Springs at that time. So I don't know.....I guess we will have to get housing in LA since i doubt I could house you. Well maybe....I will make sure.

Edit: never mind, I will be in oxford at that time. Get on that Joel. lol

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
You're probably right in that wobbling won't really come up, though it's best for us decide now. The SBR ruleset allows wobbling, in case you didn't know.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we know anyone who plays Ice Climbers well at all besides Cyphus. Maybe Lee will pick up some things, but knowing him, he might not use it.

eet

Smash Ace
sbr may allow it but alot of tourneys ban it anyway. needless to say, i dont agree with everything they say. i doubt cyphus will attend. and like i said, if for w/e reason lee pics ics (which i doubt he will) and wobbles, ill just kill him if you wont change the rule set.

-taylor

D

Deleted member

lee if you did wobble me, i would kill you. because i love you that much.

and vts, wobbling is banned. dont get any ideas. i dont care what fakegeorge says.

nice sig tho. PA is too good.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I guess you really, really don't want wobbling. You haven't convinced me that it's broken enough for me to ban it, but we'll see what happens.

What do you work Friday? Maybe we can talk about it, since we'll probably end up at your place. We usually do, haha.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
I think that was Kyle's that everyone stayed in last time, so he might not want anyone this time. Our apartment is dealing with all of it, though. Ask TaylorHJ for more info about it.

If wobbling's really that big of an issue, just have the Melee people who will attend the tourney vote on it. If it was split or whatever in the backroom, then the players can easily do so as well.

Ehh I don't know why I'm doing this.. I should not be here.. =P

Top Bottom