• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lancaster Finals: AlphaZealot vs Quivo(T Link)-Great for analysis of TL vs dk

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Winner's Finals
Game 1: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Quivo(Toon Link) on Battlefield
Game 2: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Quivo(Toon Link) on Final Destination
Game 3: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Quivo(Toon Link) on Brinstar
Game 4: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Quivo(Toon Link) on Battefield
Game 5: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Quivo(Toon Link) on Frigate Orpheon

Loser's Finals
Game 1: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Champ(Falco) on Battlefield
Game 2: AlphaZealot(Diddy kong) vs Champ(Falco) on Frigate Orpheon
Game 3: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Champ(Falco) on Jungle Japes

Grand Finals Set 1
Game 2: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Quivo(Toon Link) on Battlefield
Game 3: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Quivo(Toon Link) on Luigi's Mansion
Game 4: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Quivo(Toon Link) on Lylat Cruise
Game 5: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Quivo(Toon Link) on Castle Siege

Grand Finals Set 2
Game 2: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Quivo(Donkey Kong) on Luigi's Mansion
Game 3: AlphaZealot(Diddy Kong) vs Quivo(Toon Link) on Delfino Plaza

---

Should give everyone a really good in depth look at the Diddy vs Toon Link match up. Quivo is the best TL in the midwest and one of the best (I think top 3) in the country. Grand Finals Set 2 I played awful-squandered two leads in games 1-2. Quivo might have also known/read what I said about LM only working as a CP if the opponent isn't a heavy character (shrug, he may have also just been really smart).

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Cool. I'll watch these later after I get back from my monthly tonight. I played Santi's Toon Link for the first time at OH SNAP! a couple of weeks ago (he's apparently one of the Top 3, as well), and he two-stocked me in friendlies. Obviously, that's the first time I've ever dealt with a Toon Link who operates at that capacity. At the moment I think the match-up is in Toon Link's favor. How do you feel about the match-up, AZ?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Toon Link's favor, but it is a close fun-as-hell match up. Stages also have a lot to do with the match up, and if you can time the edge hog perfectly then you can get a KO about 30% earlier then you could without it.

Game 5 of the grand finals set 1 and game 3 of the grand finals set 1 are probably my favorite matches.

Count

Smash Champion
I've played Quivo on gamebattles! That zair is so annoying.

AZ, I'm subscribed to you on youtube to I've already been checking these out :D.

But yeah, Quivo beat me on GB, I think crushed me on BF. I about had him on FD. Those are some really good matches though, I really like Quivo's TL.

AZ if you are looking for critique I think your only problem is what I tend to do a lot also: Roll way too much. You really rolled a lot vs Quivo and I think it cost you a couple times. Great matches, keep putting matches up :D.

ADHD

Smash Hero
you really have to stey grounded when fighting tl, he is soo manurverable in the air.
Not necessarily, you can poke fairs in occasionally between the hits. Usmash is very good against tl because it punishes a short hop if he doesn't space right. Btw short hop naner throws can catch him offguard but if you miss thats one more naner thats been wasted.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Honestly, rolling work in this match up, you can't dribble to much because of how many projectiles there are-so the only alternative if you want to change your position (instead of just shielding everything) is basically to roll.

Count

Smash Champion
Honestly, rolling work in this match up, you can't dribble to much because of how many projectiles there are-so the only alternative if you want to change your position (instead of just shielding everything) is basically to roll.
Fair enough. I just noticed an insane amount of rolling. You played really well still, his TL is so tricky.

Megamegaman

Smash Apprentice
WOW !

WHAT'S THAT TL ?

its surelly the top one

you did very well too AL, i like to much the way you do the banana pull, then bair and chacht the banana and attack at the same time ! =0

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
This is one of the few instances where I can't really comment on what you should or should not have done because, until I get proper practice in this match-up against high-level opponents (i.e. more Santi), I'm really in absolutely no position to critique. The over-rolling made me really wary though, and there seemed to be plenty of opportunities where Quivo could of punished you but simply did not.

Other than that, you must have done something right, because you kept most of these matches relatively close. =) I'll get back to you next time I spend a couple of hours trying to figure out the match-up with Santi.

QUIVO

Smash Master
It's hard to punish rolling for me.

I mean I could up b, but he mixes up his rolls. I specifically told AZ that rolling sometimes messes with my spacing so that's what he's been doing lately. He doesn't do this as much in other matches.

That's why in some of the vids you'll see me randomly bair behind me.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Insane... items are being thrown everywhere. lol. And AZ did a good job not being predictable with his rolling. I think he had to roll alot with all the projectiles flying threw the air to escape.

Quivo did a good job in pressuring Diddy, by not giving him much of chance to release his bananas. Thats one thing I learned from watching this. Never give Diddy the time to get 2 bananas on the field, or even 1. Its much easier said than done though, but I realize this now after watching these matches.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
Something I noticed about you AZ is I rarely see you Z-catch bananas, maybe I'm not watching enough but from what I see you always use aerials to grab them, great matches btw.. set 1 game 3 was great

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yea prefer using airiels because it creates space between me and the opponent. I do use the Z-drop on occasion.

DUB

Smash Lord
It's hard to punish rolling for me.

I mean I could up b, but he mixes up his rolls. I specifically told AZ that rolling sometimes messes with my spacing so that's what he's been doing lately. He doesn't do this as much in other matches.

That's why in some of the vids you'll see me randomly bair behind me.
First time I've seen your TL. Very very nice man. Terrific use of projectiles. Were you wavebouncing some of those arrows?

Props to both players. Fun set to watch.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Too bad you don't stay in beast mode like you did in match 4 on BF. *AZ dies*, *AZ ******, *AZ plays passive* -_-

Keep ****** like those 2 stocks!

clowsui

Smash Legend
AZ just do what I do against QUIVO

john like hell and rub it in his face when you beat him even once

solves every matchup problem you have =D

Top Bottom