• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

Luty

Smash Cadet
Have we discussed swimming, sleeping, curry, shield break, or taunt animations yet?
Swimming: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 swimming animation. Sleeping: Stagnant stance, I guess? Curry: Lost on this one, Chief. Shield Break: Her dizzy animation she gets when at low HP in Xenosaga 1-3. Taunts: I will leave that up to the devs; there is a lot of material in multiple games to go over.

So would KOS-MOS be a zoner or more of a close range fighter? Because I picture a mix of both. I could see KOS-MOS being a very OP character if she got in with speed, guns, and stuff.
KOS-MOS could be a fast, heavy melee zoner. Which would be overpowered in a sense, kind of like she is in her games.

KOS-MOS does have a sword sort of. R Blade is one of her most iconic attacks and it even made it into Xenoblade 2. Personally, I'd really love to see Dragon tooth implemented but that was only in Xenosaga II and Project X Zone/Mugen no frontier super robot taisen. It's a laser sword and it's really damn badass.

I could see it being used as a spike or something.
While Dragon Tooth is not often used in the games, many V4 figures come with it. Even one of the 1/4 scale garage variants and the KOS-MOS Dollfie Dream come with the Dragon Tooth, which are very expensive V4 statue and doll. I can definitely see them using it in her attacks.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
Meh. I'm not the biggest fan of zoners but thanks to the nature of KOS-MOS. she has a lot to work with. I guess the smash team would focus more on her artillery capabilities than up close sword slashes because...swords have developed a bit of a stigma within the community. With that being said though, I still want to see her use her dragon tooth, R-Hammer, R-blade, R-dragon, and R-drill in some capacity (though that could pose a problem for balancing.) maybe for a DLC gimmick, she can utilize boosts from Xenosaga, or she could undergo her Blue-eyed form where she becomes even more of a beast.

I also want to see F-scythe in her moveset as well because why not? it's a cool move just like her other attacks

Last edited:

Luty

Smash Cadet
Meh. I'm not the biggest fan of zoners but thanks to the nature of KOS-MOS. she has a lot to work with. I guess the smash team would focus more on her artillery capabilities than up close sword slashes because...swords have developed a bit of a stigma within the community. With that being said though, I still want to see her use her dragon tooth, R-Hammer, R-blade, R-dragon, and R-drill in some capacity (though that could pose a problem for balancing.) maybe for a DLC gimmick, she can utilize boosts from Xenosaga, or she could undergo her Blue-eyed form where she becomes even more of a beast.

Also, I know she uses an axe weapon of some kind in one of her attacks, but I can't seem to recall which one...I want to see that one too LOL

If you guys check out that smash crusade KOS-MOS trailer, you'll know
what I'm talking about.
She is more than just weapons, too. She does have her Needle kick and S-Sault. She's an all-rounder as far as attacks go, so making her a Mii costume would be trifling of her vast abilities. It's either playable character or bust. I figure her gimmick could be placed around Boost since it is present in all three of her games. Not sure if the Hilbert Effect could be made into anything special. Hmm.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
People talk about how crazy Monster Hunter or Dante can be in moveset potential, but KOS-MOS can be just as crazy herself if Sakurai goes all out with her.
I agree completely.

That's not to say Dante or Monster Hunter lack moveset potential. It's just that KOS-MOS is severely overlooked/downplayed by the speculation community.

She is more than just weapons, too. She does have her Needle kick and S-Sault. She's an all-rounder as far as attacks go, so making her a mii costume would be trifling of her vast abilities. It's either playable character or bust. I figure her gimmick could be placed around Boost since it is present in all three of her games. Not sure if the Hilbert Effect could be made into anything special. Hmm.
that's a good point. I somehow forgot about those attacks but those also have a good chance of being incorporated in her moveset. And regarding the possibility of her chances as a mii fighter, I don't see it. I just don't. Call me biased but I think you hit the nail on the coffin. KOS-MOS simply has a lot of weapons incorporated in her that I feel a mii costume wouldn't do her justice. That's not saying our current mii costume victims didn't have enough enticing moveset potential to be considered for a proper playable character. However, as we've just discussed the likelihood of KOS-MOS being more artillery based to differentiate herself from other smash characters, I suppose the smash team would relegate her as a gunner costume if only for the fact that Heihachi is the Namco brawler, and Lloyd will be the Namco swordfighter assuming he returns for a perfect Namco mii costume trio if no Namco rep.

Don't get me wrong, I will settle for a KOS-MOS gunner because that shows me Sakurai acknowledged her and at the very least liked her enough to include her in the game AT ALL which is huge for her since this is a character not too many people requested for smash prior to the challenger pack #5 nonsense. The Source Gaming video, despite having no bearing on ultimately who is chosen for DLC
accentuates this to the point that KOS-MOS is now within the top 50 wanted character choices. Maybe her mii costume has the potential to garner more interest from smash players because they recognize her from her cameos/appearances from both other crossovers/games and speculation and may unironically want her in the next smash title.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
While Dragon Tooth is not often used in the games, many V4 figures come with it. Even one of the 1/4 scale garage variants and the KOS-MOS Dollfie Dream come with the Dragon Tooth, which are very expensive V4 statue and doll. I can definitely see them using it in her attacks.
Yeah it's even in her official artwork for project x zone so I feel they would have to implement it somehow as well. I mean we have the Monado already so it shouldn't be too hard.

Also... I'm sure we discussed KOS-MOS's gimmick already but I think I like Luxin's boosting mechanic best just like the original Xenosaga games. If they were to have Hilbert effect as her gimmick I feel like it could grant buffs or maybe even heal like Xenoblade 2. Personally, I'd like it to be part of her moveset or maybe taunt instead though. I feel like a perfect trailer reveal would have to have her come out of her vector pod like in Xenosaga Episode I and Xenoblade 2

Xenoblade 2's version is a bit less intimidating because KOS-MOS Re is meant to look like a magical girl but how awesome would it be if KOS-MOS gets out of her pod all badass and then her splash screen reads: KOS-MOS Reactivates!

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's even in her official artwork for project x zone so I feel they would have to implement it somehow as well. I mean we have the Monado already so it shouldn't be too hard.

Also... I'm sure we discussed KOS-MOS's gimmick already but I think I like Luxin's boosting mechanic best just like the original Xenosaga games. If they were to have Hilbert effect as her gimmick I feel like it could grant buffs or maybe even heal like Xenoblade 2. Personally, I'd like it to be part of her moveset or maybe taunt instead though. I feel like a perfect trailer reveal would have to have her come out of her vector pod like in Xenosaga Episode I and Xenoblade 2

Xenoblade 2's version is a bit less intimidating because KOS-MOS Re is meant to look like a magical girl but how awesome would it be if KOS-MOS gets out of her pod all badass and then her splash screen reads: KOS-MOS Reactivates!
I know this could very well be a completely new trailer on its own with how neat an idea it is, but since for a while they liked "continuing" from old trailers, one way I always thought of for KOS-MOS was that it could go on from Ridley's trailer, while he's fighting off Samus, in the distance we get to see a capsule open, maybe just showing the design of it and having her hand come out to leave it vague for most, without actually showing her, only for her to come up later to fight Ridley. It also fits a little in how she faces off against Gnosis in Episode I.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know this could very well be a completely new trailer on its own with how neat an idea it is, but since for a while they liked "continuing" from old trailers, one way I always thought of for KOS-MOS was that it could go on from Ridley's trailer, while he's fighting off Samus, in the distance we get to see a capsule open, maybe just showing the design of it and having her hand come out to leave it vague for most, without actually showing her, only for her to come up later to fight Ridley. It also fits a little in how she faces off against Gnosis in Episode I.
oh... that's PERFECT!

...actually that gives me an idea for the Reimu thread brb

MattX20

Smash Hero
That would work rather well

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
People talk about how crazy Monster Hunter or Dante can be in moveset potential, but KOS-MOS can be just as crazy herself if Sakurai goes all out with her.
It's sad really because while I have nothing against Monster Hunter or Dante, there are a lot of other characters with crazier moveset potential than them that are really never brought up by many at all.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
That's the unfortunate reality of wanted characters in smash. If they aren't seen as Iconic or speculated characters for DLC they will likely never be brought up by anyone because they are immediately regarded as having no chance or people wouldn't know/care about your most wanted characters...

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
It's sad really because while I have nothing against Monster Hunter or Dante, there are a lot of other characters with crazier moveset potential than them that are really never brought up by many at all.
That's the unfortunate reality of wanted characters in smash. If they aren't seen as Iconic or speculated characters for DLC they will likely never be brought up by anyone because they are immediately regarded as having no chance or people wouldn't know/care about your most wanted characters...

Luty

Smash Cadet
I have a hard time thinking if KOS-MOS has as crazy of a moveset potential as Dante. You are saying there are characters out there with such absurd amounts of weapon and ability variants that would make even the son of Sparda blush?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

Harada is working on something big that’s not a fighting game. As much as I want Xenosaga to be remade.... I just don’t know if this is it. But Harada was pushing something on hiatus right? Uhmmm maybe this is it? He kinda alludes to it not being a fighting game. But what this will be more expensive than Tekken?

Like unless he approves it as entirely funded by Nintendo I won’t get my hopes up.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

Harada is working on something big that’s not a fighting game. As much as I want Xenosaga to be remade.... I just don’t know if this is it. But Harada was pushing something on hiatus right? Uhmmm maybe this is it? He kinda alludes to it not being a fighting game. But what this will be more expensive than Tekken?

Like unless he approves it as entirely funded by Nintendo I won’t get my hopes up.
We shall see what it is in the future. That's all that can be said for now

Luty

Smash Cadet

Unless a lot of that money went into paying off Nintendo, I do not see a Monolith Soft game making it to being called the "most costly development project in Bandai Namco history." Pretty sure that would have to be a next gen game, and I do not think a Nintendo Switch exclusive game would garner that title for them. But, I could be wrong. Regardless of what it is, I hope it is something that will knock my socks off.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Unless a lot of that money went into paying off Nintendo, I do not see a Monolith Soft game making it to being called the "most costly development project in Bandai Namco history." Pretty sure that would have to be a next gen game, and I do not think a Nintendo Switch exclusive game would garner that title for them. But, I could be wrong. Regardless of what it is, I hope it is something that will knock my socks off.
Hopefully, it will be something of note

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Happy New Year Everybody.

Hmmm... for as risk-averse as the current Bandai Namco is, this may very well be a remake of the Xenosaga trilogy. The hypothetical return of investment from the market analysis was the reason why the Xenosaga remaster wasn't approved alongside Harada wanting Monolith Soft, a Nintendo subsidiary, to be directly involved with the development of the remaster which would have made the game a Switch exclusive.

Being optimistic and assuming that it is indeed a Xenosaga remaster, Harada has either received the green light to remake the game in-house without Monolith Soft to ensure its multi-platform release... or the better option which is a Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition treatment of Xenosaga I - III.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Hmmm... for as risk-averse as the current Bandai Namco is, this may very well be a remake of the Xenosaga trilogy. The hypothetical return of investment from the market analysis was the reason why the Xenosaga remaster wasn't approved alongside Harada wanting Monolith Soft, a Nintendo subsidiary, to be directly involved with the development of the remaster which would have made the game a Switch exclusive.

Being optimistic and assuming that it is indeed a Xenosaga remaster, Harada has either received the green light to remake the game in-house without Monolith Soft to ensure its multi-platform release... or the better option which is a Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition treatment of Xenosaga I - III.
maybe KOS-MOS in Smash will be a big ol' billboard telling everyone to buy the HD remaster?

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
maybe KOS-MOS in Smash will be a big ol' billboard telling everyone to buy the HD remaster?
Bandai Namco are the developers of Smash Bros Ultimate, Bandai Namco only has one representative and Nintendo is deciding on the characters to select for the fighter's pass. So yes, we may very well get lucky and have some cross-promotional synergy with KOS-MOS.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

This might be a bit of a reaching theory but maybe it makes sense and will pan out.

2017: Xenoblade 2 released and KOS-MOS is revived through the Refrain design
2018: Xenosaga Episode III gets retrademarked and T-ELOS is added as a blade later in the year in Xenoblade 2
2019: Harada and Monolith Soft have a interview together about Xeno and a few months after, Harada details plans of a remaster that failed in a market analysis years ago. Keyword: "Yes, it's sad the remaster didn't come true and I was talking to the Monolith team after a long time"
2020: At the beginning of 2020 Harada says he worked hard for a KOS-MOS revival project that's on hiatus for now (Maybe smash? Maybe Xenosaga plans that needed further realization?)
2021: Harada is working on a big project that's not another fighting game and it's surprising to him that the higher ups even approved it. Previously, they did not approve a Xenosaga remaster... could that be what's surprising knowing it is a resurfaced Xenosaga plan?

Keep in mind this is not meant to be taken 100% seriously. Just theorizing and there might not even be a pattern here.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just made The General Namco thread:

Come discuss KOS-MOS and other Namco characters here as well.

FightingGhost73

Smash Cadet
This might be a bit of a reaching theory but maybe it makes sense and will pan out.

2018: Xenosaga Episode III gets retrademarked and T-ELOS is added as a blade later in the year in Xenoblade 2
2019: Harada and Monolith Soft have a interview together about Xeno and a few months after, Harada details plans of a remaster that failed in a market analysis years ago. Keyword: "Yes, it's sad the remaster didn't come true and I was talking to the Monolith team after a long time"
2020: At the beginning of 2020 Harada says he worked hard for a KOS-MOS revival project that's on hiatus for now (Maybe smash? Maybe Xenosaga plans that needed further realization?)
2021: Harada is working on a big project that's not another fighting game and it's surprising to him that the higher ups even approved it. Previously, they did not approve a Xenosaga remaster... could that be what's surprising knowing it is a resurfaced Xenosaga plan?

Keep in mind this is not meant to be taken 100% seriously. Just theorizing and there might not even be a pattern here.
A xenosaga reboot in the guise of Xenoblade 3? Lmao I wish

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's not that I don't believe you, but I could I see where Harada said that he was shocked that the higher ups approved is current project?

Luty

Smash Cadet

KOS-MOS revival project would sound really nice. I am interested in anything if KOS-MOS is in it, even if it is not a Xenosaga remake. Imagine if it is a new Xenosomething-else-rather game that stars KOS-MOS as the new, relevant main character, leading KOS-MOS to get into Smash.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
It's not that I don't believe you, but I could I see where Harada said that he was shocked that the higher ups approved is current project?

“Well, honestly I think this might be the most costly development project in Bandai Namco history,” Harada said. “I think its incredible that the higher-ups approved of this. Well, the approval has passed, its just that due to the coronavirus, we haven’t really been able to properly start the project.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom