• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
If it’s a retelling I hope it fixes Episode 2’s many issues...
Agreed. They would base it on the DS version which is rewritten by Takahashi and improves literally everything. It's really too bad it was never localized but there are a TON of differences and most notably many parts in the ps2 version are removed.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Agreed. They would base it on the DS version which is rewritten by Takahashi and improves literally everything. It's really too bad it was never localized but there are a TON of differences and most notably many parts in the ps2 version are removed.
was Orgulla one of them? I swear I hated her so much, from her design to her battle to how she even had a total lack of buildup

Suiren_Kirin

Smash Cadet
There are fewer weeks left for the Nintendo Direct at the beginning of the year, it is the best time to reread the whole thread from the beginning.
I would like to make a list and summarize each track or evidence that would bring KOS-MOS closer to the SMASH roster.

It's incredible how time passes, it seems that KOS-MOS in Xenoblade 2 was an incredible foreshadowing since then..

The Lightning Python

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3196-3471-4788
“Well, honestly I think this might be the most costly development project in Bandai Namco history,” Harada said. “I think its incredible that the higher-ups approved of this. Well, the approval has passed, its just that due to the coronavirus, we haven’t really been able to properly start the project.”

Well I do be;ieve that JRPGs cost alot in order to be made.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So how would y'all react if Elma or Rex and KOS-MOS were 2 of the 3 remaining Fighter's Pass 2 characters? I would be hyped as hell.
Elma would still have me celebrating :shades: ideally I want both, and hopefully in either scenario, they decide to say "welp there's still more fighters in development" cause I doubt they'd share the same pass and there are still four more empty placeholder spots after pass 2 ends. In addition, Sakurai said word for word "currently no plans" and only in magazine interviews, vs. SFV's fifth and final season pass which was publicly announced as such from the get go.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
was Orgulla one of them? I swear I hated her so much, from her design to her battle to how she even had a total lack of buildup
Yup! You can find a whole list of changes here but sadly I think they stopped translations years ago. https://xenosaga.fandom.com/wiki/Xenosaga_I_&_II

I agree entirely on Orgulla. She had nothing and her boss battle was incredibly tough for such a rush job character. It took MANY tries for me to beat it. her Eryu form can heal and her Manes forms hits like a truck. It's very easy to lose if you were not prepared. Thank god she was rewritten entirely out of the story in the DS version but i'm going to miss JR calling her a damn ***** lol.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yup! You can find a whole list of changes here but sadly I think they stopped translations years ago. https://xenosaga.fandom.com/wiki/Xenosaga_I_&_II

I agree entirely on Orgulla. She had nothing and her boss battle was incredibly tough for such a rush job character. It took MANY tries for me to beat it. her Eryu form can heal and her Manes forms hits like a truck. It's very easy to lose if you were not prepared. Thank god she was rewritten entirely out of the story in the DS version but i'm going to miss JR calling her a damn ***** lol.
They took out the car chase scene tho? Nooo :c that was badass

though I guess it wouldn’t have worked with their story revision

to which I ask... porque no los dos? Better Orgulla-less story AND car chase scene!

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
A reboot in order to retell the story of the game is a smart move in my opinion. Heck, it worked for Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat.
Yo, if we get a Xenosaga reboot with the same quality of storytelling as Xenoblade Chronicles then I see that as an absolute win.

Nintendo during the late 2000's hated localising JRPG's. That's why Operation Rainfall was a thing for Xenoblade Chronicles.

Last edited:

Luty

Smash Cadet
i... think i'll pass 😬 i just KNOW it's gonna be full of detractors giving low want scores and being overall rude
A lot of people are already saying her franchise is dead, and so are her chances because of the marketing test.

Banjo has not had a game since 2008, or a game on Nintendo since 2005. He does not show up in a lot of games as a guest or otherwise as far as I know. He is in the game, so I wish people would give KOS-MOS a little more respect than calling her a corpse on life support.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
i... think i'll pass 😬 i just KNOW it's gonna be full of detractors giving low want scores and being overall rude
And you're right! But if you and other fans choose to be silent, then those 0% want scores are going to dominate her total score and her rating will suffer as a result. And then the detractors win.

You can abstain on the chance score and even the other character if you want. All it takes is just two sentences explaining why you want the character and a rating. Pretty much what you wrote in this post saying you'll pass would qualify. (Assuming you add a period after the word "pass") Then you can just bolt from the thread and never look back.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
As pointed out earlier, Banjo was in a similar state to KOS-MOS, but the key difference is that KOS-MOS continued to appear in other titles, including Project X-Zone and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The latter of which is basically set in the same universe. It's unwise to count her out until either the pass ends or another Bamco rep is chosen before her

zferolie

Smash Hero
Bunch of ****ing idiots in the RTC board I swear... They just convinetly forget banjo hasn't had a game for longer then she has, but they don't care because they are Fanboys. Bunch of hypocritical babies.

If its not Dante or Sora or Geno they don't give a **** about anyone else.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Just wanna pop in and say while I don't think KOS-MOS is very likely, she's a character who I'd be quite happy to see happen. Her design and moveset potential would make her a super fresh character and it's definitely a bummer to see people trash her as much as they do.

Wishing you guys the best of luck, I know it's difficult to support a character like KOS-MOS but I hope you can all have the last laugh someday.

Luty

Smash Cadet
Bunch of ****ing idiots in the RTC board I swear... They just convinetly forget banjo hasn't had a game for longer then she has, but they don't care because they are Fanboys. Bunch of hypocritical babies.

Yeah, I mentioned that in my comment on RTC, too. Though, in a little more detail. B&K has not had anything new since being announced on Ultimate as DLC, right? Was he "marketable" enough?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, I mentioned that in my comment on RTC, too. Though, in a little more detail. B&K has not had anything new since being announced on Ultimate as DLC, right? Was he "marketable" enough?
He got in due to fans, and Sakurai wanting them. Microsoft obviously had no plans for them, not even porting the games to the Switch. So why do people keep making the stupid rule that a company must want to promote the character for something for them to get in? Its stupid.

Also, love that Icon. Pulled her myself last month and shes so fun

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

As a Geno fan, I know the feeling all too well.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Banjo is a good bit of justification for supporting older less "relevant" characters, but he's definitely a special case where twenty years of nonstop fan demand to bring him back was able to put him in that spotlight. The disparity between Banjo's demand and... pretty much any other character of his caliber is definitely where the comparison falls apart.

Definitely proof that marketing isn't everything in one context, but Banjo still ends up "marketable" on the basis of his notorious dormancy and separation from the Nintendo brand. The symbolic reuniting of Banjo with his Nintendo family is more than enough to sell DLC and make headlines.

In regards to KOS-MOS idk if she really needs that if she was to make it in, anyway. Popping up in Xenoblade 2 is enough to tell you Monolith still cares about her at least - the interest is still there. Depending on how you look at Xenoblade you could even say she's sort of a legacy character in that she was able to pave the way for a currently super successful JRPG franchise. At least that's what people would be saying retrospectively if she did make it, lmao.

Last edited:

Luty

Smash Cadet
I think Banjo is a good bit of justification for supporting older less "relevant" characters, but he's definitely a special case where twenty years of nonstop fan demand to bring him back was able to put him in that spotlight. The disparity between Banjo's demand and... pretty much any other character of his caliber is definitely where the comparison falls apart.

Definitely proof that marketing isn't everything in one context, but Banjo still ends up "marketable" on the basis of his notorious dormancy and separation from the Nintendo brand. The symbolic reuniting of Banjo with his Nintendo family is more than enough to sell DLC and make headlines.

In regards to KOS-MOS idk if she really needs that if she was to make it in, anyway. Popping up in Xenoblade 2 is enough to tell you Monolith still cares about her at least - the interest is still there. Depending on how you look at Xenoblade you could even say she's sort of a legacy character in that she was able to pave the way for a currently super successful JRPG franchise. At least that's what people would be saying retrospectively if she did make it, lmao.
The same thing could be said about Terry. The super fan demand was not there, but he was important to Sakurai and fighting games as a whole. At least I share respect with characters who get in. But, it seems there is bad blood going for KOS-MOS for some silly reason.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Comic Book Guy:

Chances 0%: It's a niche series that failed in sales so it's immediately out of the question.

Want 1%: I... ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT A NICHE ANIME WAIFU ROBOT IN MY SMASH BROS! Other than maybe for other reasons I won't discuss which is why my want score is 1%.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Comic Book Guy:

Chances 0%: It's a niche series that failed in sales so it's immediately out of the question.

Want 1%: I... ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT A NICHE ANIME WAIFU ROBOT IN MY SMASH BROS! Other than maybe for other reasons I won't discuss which is why my want score is 1%.

I mean... at least he's honest about it right?

Luty

Smash Cadet
Comic Book Guy:

Just because a disgruntled guy thinks she is a *** object does not mean her fans do. She's really overpowered and awesome in her games. Having her controllable in the medium of fighting games or Devil May Cry style combat would be nice for once since her attack optimization would be incredible.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I wanted to give her a higher score originally, but I didn't want to get called out for putting her 'too high', but now I wish I did. It is irritating seeing people dismissing her so easily, but think of it enjoyable it will be to see the same people backtrack if she does make it in.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wanted to give her a higher score originally, but I didn't want to get called out for putting her 'too high', but now I wish I did. It is irritating seeing people dismissing her so easily, but think of it enjoyable it will be to see the same people backtrack if she does make it in.
"Oh it was obvious she was coming. We had to get a new Bandai rep at some point. She is no surprise and I always wanted her in."

Luty

Smash Cadet
"Oh it was obvious she was coming. We had to get a new Bandai rep at some point. She is no surprise and I always wanted her in."
They think KOS-MOS' popularity came from bandwagoners because she was part of a false leak. The "bandwagoners" are actually the ones who started hating KOS-MOS since they thought she was leaked. I really wish people would be more civil.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

Someone had to say it. THANK YOU. And apparently KOS-MOS on the front of Monolith's 20th anniversary which a NEW GRADUATE at Monolith Soft even drew means she's forgotten about and dead. Yeah okay.... It's even the same people providing the same arguments that make me facedesk everytime.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Seeing a guy who spent a long time arguing in favor of Terry in front of naysayers regurgitating the same arguments he now champions against CHARACTER I DON'T LIKE BECAUSE MUH LLOYD is quite possibly the quintessence of the Smash fanbase.

Edit: Also why are they rating her again? Wasn't she already rated just a few months ago? Does that thread have only 2 dozen characters put through a revolving door or do they just have notoriously poor knowledge of videogames?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Someone had to say it. THANK YOU. And apparently KOS-MOS on the front of Monolith's 20th anniversary which a NEW GRADUATE at Monolith Soft even drew means she's forgotten about and dead. Yeah okay.... It's even the same people providing the same arguments that make me facedesk everytime.
This art right?

I mean yeah. Why would they put a dead character they don't plan to use for anything ever again as the main focus of the piece? Idiots there I swear.

Seeing a guy who spent a long time arguing in favor of Terry in front of naysayers regurgitating the same arguments he now champions against CHARACTER I DON'T LIKE BECAUSE MUH LLOYD is quite possibly the quintessence of the Smash fanbase.
Thats the smash fanbase in general. Plenty of people only care about who they want and will bend and twist anything to fit there wants, and if its someone they don't want its all negitive about them,

MattX20

Smash Hero
This art right?

I mean yeah. Why would they put a dead character they don't plan to use for anything ever again as the main focus of the piece? Idiots there I swear.

Thats the smash fanbase in general. Plenty of people only care about who they want and will bend and twist anything to fit there wants, and if its someone they don't want its all negitive about them,
That artwork is undeniably gorgeous. I just hope that if KOS-MOS makes it, we'll see her more often from that point forward and not to fade into obscurity

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
The same thing could be said about Terry. The super fan demand was not there, but he was important to Sakurai and fighting games as a whole. At least I share respect with characters who get in. But, it seems there is bad blood going for KOS-MOS for some silly reason.
And Sakurai said it is better that a character is fun to play and not just recognizable which just proves nobody will ever understand Nintendo and Sakurai's thoughts. Sakurai and Nintendo can put whatever they want. Anything is possible.
This art right?

Indeed. KOS-MOS is not a dead character one bit. Her series might be over for the time being but she's survived in crossovers and spiritual successor Xenoblade.

Also the Zohar in the back glows like in Xenosaga. So in the back you have Xenosaga and in the front the new Xenoblade 3 protagonist looking at all the Xenoblade main characters. This is clearly from his/her point of view. I think KOS-MOS will have a role in Xenoblade 3 as well.

Top Bottom