• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hello, you may call me Luty in the forums here. I just wanted to introduce myself and what I think about the new character speculations. Forgive me if I ramble about pointless stuff.

I have been lurking on here for well over a year, and have been supporting KOS-MOS for Smash Bros. since I heard Nintendo purchased Monolith Soft back in 2007. I had completed all Xenosaga games by then, and have played though Xenogears and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 recently. About to start Xenoblade DE. While I think Mythra/Pyra and Fei would be excellent additions to the roster, I can say with absolute certainty that I would prefer KOS-MOS.

Do I feel like KOS-MOS has a chance? Of course, considering the characters who have come into Smash Bros Ultimate. Do I believe there is a high chance for my most wanted character to get into Smash? I wish I could be more optimistic. While my outlook is low, I tend to stay on the pessimistic side of things over being realistic about the chances. I might do well as a sobering hype-checker. ^^;

My opinion on the recent Reimu/Crash leak remains dulled ever the same. I just do not think more than a handful of people even know who the sixth fighter of Fighter Pass 2 is going to be. Any leaks with more than two characters mentioned are easy for me to dismiss. I am not saying that all three characters will not show up as DLC, because they very well could. I just do not believe the leak to be a legitimate leak. My opinion on all character leaks is also very bleak. I cannot take them seriously unless there is circumstantial evidence like the SNK leak. Even then, we did not know for certain it was going to be Terry. If a leak comes from a credible source (like the Smash Bros code or website) instead of someone who claims he knows a guy who works at Nintendo, I am willing to listen intently.

I also want to give my opinion on Bandai/Namco and Monolith Soft representation, but there is a lot for me to type here.

TL;DR -- I support KOS-MOS for Smash. "Leaks" are usually not credible sources.
It's nice to have you here Luty and welcome to Smashboards. ;)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
When it comes to leaks, nobody’s gonna claim their connections to Nintendo anymore ever since the ESRB leak. In fact, saying so makes it seem more sus and likely to be fake imo like someone wanting attention.

way I see it, if it’s short, to the point, doesn’t make a BS story up and doesn’t take cheap shots at other fanbases I can believe it to an extent.

Like the 5ch rumor, “so next after Steve is Sephiroth (check), KOS-MOS, Crash and Reimu. It’s not what most of you were expecting and I’m sorry if you’re let down. Plus, no miis from 4’s DLC that aren’t :ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultkrool: will make the jump to playable” - what I got from the 5ch leak and it seems succinct to me

“so someone from League of Legends will become DLC, haven’t heard any names but I’m betting it’s Ahri. We’ll also get a Trials of Mana (aka Seiken Densetsu 3) spirit event (check), some League-universe games coming to consoles (check with CONV/RGENCE, Ruined King and Wild Rift and more games being planned), and a Hollow Knight Premium Swordfighter with a Sealed Vessel remix (has yet to happen)” - so far that seems solid, Ahri/LoL may be in a hypothetical pass 3. What’ll make or break it is the HK costume. 3 more chances to go for that one

they also give realistic kill switches that if the contrary happens the leak can be discarded. Those have yet to happen tho

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
When it comes to leaks, nobody’s gonna claim their connections to Nintendo anymore ever since the ESRB leak. In fact, saying so makes it seem more sus and likely to be fake imo like someone wanting attention.

way I see it, if it’s short, to the point, doesn’t make a BS story up and doesn’t take cheap shots at other fanbases I can believe it to an extent.

Like the 5ch rumor, “so next after Steve is Sephiroth (check), KOS-MOS, Crash and Reimu. It’s not what most of you were expecting and I’m sorry if you’re let down. Plus, no miis from 4’s DLC that aren’t :ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultkrool: will make the jump to playable” - what I got from the 5ch leak and it seems succinct to me

“so someone from League of Legends will become DLC, haven’t heard any names but I’m betting it’s Ahri. We’ll also get a Trials of Mana (aka Seiken Densetsu 3) spirit event (check), some League-universe games coming to consoles (check with CONV/RGENCE, Ruined King and Wild Rift and more games being planned), and a Hollow Knight Premium Swordfighter with a Sealed Vessel remix (has yet to happen)” - so far that seems solid, Ahri/LoL may be in a hypothetical pass 3. What’ll make or break it is the HK costume. 3 more chances to go for that one

they also give realistic kill switches that if the contrary happens the leak can be discarded. Those have yet to happen tho
And speaking of the ESRB leak, I still remember that leaker's username it was the mother******* leaker lmao!

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
On a 1-10 scale, how confident are you in KOS-MOS chances of being playable right now? I'm confident in a second Bandai Namco rep, so I can at least say a 7.
Honestly, before any speculators began humoring the idea of KOS-MOS in smash, I would've given her a 3. And ever since people began suspecting she was Fighter #5, I would give her a 4. That is my current standing on the likelihood regarding KOS-MOS. Depending if I'm feeling more confident in her, I'd give her a 5 at best. The most recent leak that claims her apparently knows the other 2 fighters, which is a massive red flag. With that being said though, KOS-MOS has gradually become my most wanted character for DLC, and the only reason I always remain pessimistic is because I don't want my dreams crushed again after TGA's 2019. It kind of sucks how many people despise her as potential DLC character, but at the same time, we have gotten more supporters than ever before. Hell, even some haters eventually became supporters after finding out who she is, how she is low-key iconic, what she can bring to smash, and keeps making cameos/appearances to this day despite her game series ending over a decade ago. If memory serves me right, KOS-MOS has made 22 cameos in total, with her most recent and well known guest appearance in Xenoblade 2.

However, I believe her best selling point as DLC is not due to fan demand, but as a technicality.

KOS-MOS in smash would...

1.) Give us another Xeno character
2.) Give us another Namco character
3.) Offer a unique moveset with the ability to summon a variety of weapons from thin air via the UMN
4.) another android character after Mega Man and ROB
5.) Namco is developing the game. It would be insane if they didn't get at least one more proper character in the roster
6.) at this point in time, KOS-MOS is one of the more likely options for Namco DLC after seeing Heihachi being relegated to a Mii costume, and the same being likely to happen for Lloyd as well. She still has competition with Soul Caliber (Nightmare/Yoshimitsu), Digimon (Agumon) and maybe even Dark Souls with chosen undead. Even still, her ties with Monolith Soft, one of Nintendo's best subsidiaries who has contributed to some of the switches best selling/critically acclaimed titles (Breath of the Wild and New Horizons.) gives her another edge over other potential Namco reps. And speaking of Monolith, they LOVE KOS-MOS. They have a good relation with Namco as evidenced by her XC2 appearance, and she was front and center for their Anniversary art. Eclipsing even Rex, Elma, and Shulk who are the main protagonists of Xenoblade.

Last edited:

Luty

Smash Cadet

Moreso, I was wondering about your thoughts on how a potential leaker may know who the fighter coming out at the end of next year is going to be. I am not in the gaming industry and really do not know when their team will start working on Character #6 or whether they need to know who it is now. How far back did the team know they were going to be working on Sephiroth, for example? Was it four months ago? A year ago? Otherwise, someone would just have to know the name of a character in the contract paper, which I am sure barely anybody was able to look at. The identity of the leaker comes into question for me. Either a random person wanting attention, or someone who heard from a higher-up about it.

Just curious about these things because they always affect the way I think about leaks. >.<

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Regarding whether both Rex and KOS-MOS could get in as asked a couple pages ago, I'd have to say I find it very unlikely, at least in the same fighter's pass. If there's a third pass after we get Rex/KOS-MOS in 2, it'd be a lot more plausible, but even then I wouldn't be optimistic.

They've kept a lot of variety in the passes so far. They're trying to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible. I know Xenosaga and Xenoblade aren't the same series, but they're closely related enough that there's a lot of overlap in fans. It'd be like if both Crash and Spyro got in at once.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Moreso, I was wondering about your thoughts on how a potential leaker may know who the fighter coming out at the end of next year is going to be. I am not in the gaming industry and really do not know when their team will start working on Character #6 or whether they need to know who it is now. How far back did the team know they were going to be working on Sephiroth, for example? Was it four months ago? A year ago? Otherwise, someone would just have to know the name of a character in the contract paper, which I am sure barely anybody was able to look at. The identity of the leaker comes into question for me. Either a random person wanting attention, or someone who heard from a higher-up about it.

Just curious about these things because they always affect the way I think about leaks. >.<
at the very least it's not too farfetched cause it's pretty much confirmed that the team works on DLC in threes or something

as for LoL, if legit the leaker for that one may have got a glimpse at some plans

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Well Harada's keyword for 2021 is Game development and he says he wants to go back to the good old days of development with the newest technology. What this means is anyone's guess.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I know some are arguing against the likelihood of a Bandai Namco rep based solely on the Mii Costumes for Gil and Heihachi coming back, but are forgetting that PacMan already had them both in his taunt for Ultimate's base game. The Monster Hunter costumes are basically guaranteed to return because they're just armor sets and not actual characters. KOS-MOS chances really haven't gone down at all yet

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know some are arguing against the likelihood of a Bandai Namco rep based solely on the Mii Costumes for Gil and Heihachi coming back, but are forgetting that PacMan already had them both in his taunt for Ultimate's base game. The Monster Hunter costumes are basically guaranteed to return because they're just armor sets and not actual characters. KOS-MOS chances really haven't gone down at all yet
Plus, back in 4, I think Lloyd’s costume was dropped in a random wave around the time Cloud arrived with the Geno costume. The Geno costume returned in Ultimate in Sephiroth’s presentation... Lloyd’s was absent, though.

So basically I’m feelin that Lloyd’s costume will return with KOS-MOS since they’re both from Bamco JRPGs

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Plus, back in 4, I think Lloyd’s costume was dropped in a random wave around the time Cloud arrived with the Geno costume. The Geno costume returned in Ultimate in Sephiroth’s presentation... Lloyd’s was absent, though.

So basically I’m feelin that Lloyd’s costume will return with KOS-MOS since they’re both from Bamco JRPGs
Lloyd's costume was before Cloud's wave, which was just the Chocobo hat and Geno. The Lloyd costume released on July 31st, 2015 and the Chocobo Hat and Geno released on December 16th of the same year.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Lloyd's costume was before Cloud's wave, which was just the Chocobo hat and Geno. The Lloyd costume released on July 31st, 2015 and the Chocobo Hat and Geno released on December 16th of the same year.
When was Gil in 4? I know Heihachi was with Ryu

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Gil's costume released on February 3rd, 2016.
Hmm, so they’re releasing the Namco costumes out of order this time vs 4... I do for sure think Lloyd’s being saved for KOS-MOS though

Lloyd wasn’t showcased with any characters in 4 unlike Heihachi and Geno right?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm, so they’re releasing the Namco costumes out of order this time vs 4... I do for sure think Lloyd’s being saved for KOS-MOS though

Lloyd wasn’t showcased with any characters in 4 unlike Heihachi and Geno right?
During the Smash 4 DLC period, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu from Street Fighter released on June 14th of 2015, and Cloud wouldn't be released for another 6 months. The Mii Costumes released at the same time of those fighters were:
  • Isabelle Hat
  • Heihachi Wig
  • Akira Wig
  • Jacky Wig
  • Zero's Helmet
  • MegaMan.EXE's Helmet
  • Inkling Wig
  • Inkling Squid Hat
  • Isabelle Outfit (Gunner)
  • Heihachi Outfit (Brawler)
  • Akira Outfit (Brawler)
  • Jacky Outfit (Brawler)
  • Zero's Armor (Swordfighter)
  • MegaMan.EXE's Armor (Gunner)
  • Inkling Outfit (Gunner)
So no, the Lloyd costume wasn't released alongside any DLC fighters at the time.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
During the Smash 4 DLC period, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu from Street Fighter released on June 14th of 2015, and Cloud wouldn't be released for another 6 months. The Mii Costumes released at the same time of those fighters were:
  • Isabelle Hat
  • Heihachi Wig
  • Akira Wig
  • Jacky Wig
  • Zero's Helmet
  • MegaMan.EXE's Helmet
  • Inkling Wig
  • Inkling Squid Hat
  • Isabelle Outfit (Gunner)
  • Heihachi Outfit (Brawler)
  • Akira Outfit (Brawler)
  • Jacky Outfit (Brawler)
  • Zero's Armor (Swordfighter)
  • MegaMan.EXE's Armor (Gunner)
  • Inkling Outfit (Gunner)
So no, the Lloyd costume wasn't released alongside any DLC fighters at the time.
The plot thickens...

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
They've kept a lot of variety in the passes so far. They're trying to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible. I know Xenosaga and Xenoblade aren't the same series, but they're closely related enough that there's a lot of overlap in fans.
Also, I'm 85% certain that KOS-MOS's Challenger Pack would rep Monolith like CP4 did for SNK, as opposed to it being an exclusive tribute to Xenosaga aka the unavailable-for-modern-purchase series with reception that caused the next project's core development philosophy to be "Next time we need to make a game that players will enjoy." It alone isn't enough.

View attachment 297384

The path of the righteous is like the morning sun, shining ever brighter till the full light of day.
Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Also, I'm 85% certain that KOS-MOS's Challenger Pack would rep Monolith like CP4 did for SNK, as opposed to it being an exclusive tribute to Xenosaga aka the unavailable-for-modern-purchase series with reception that caused the next project's core development philosophy to be "Next time we need to make a game that players will enjoy." It alone isn't enough.

Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding.
That would make sense since Xenosaga is part of the same universe as Xenoblade or so I understand. It may not be as vast an interconnected universe like SNK's is, but the connections are still apparent enough on top of Monolithsoft still loving her character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If development really is slowing down tho...

idc if I don’t get Elma. Just give me X music with KOS-MOS if this truly is the end

in fact... what if Caitlin Glass’s NDA... was for KOS-MOS and not Elma? “A character you voice is the reference”....

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'll be honest, If there is no Namco newcomer in Ultimate that will shock me more than the Geno Mii costume coming back. It's absurd that they would just settle with Pac-Man and not at least get one of their characters into Ultimate since they have been co-developing the recent 2 Smash games with Sora Ltd.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
So i'm sure everyone remembers this

I never took it seriously but if we did we could see that all of those characters are probably not happening. I get the feeling Nintendo has characters up as leakbait as well and I get the feeling that Hayabusa might be one of them... maybe even Crash. I dont want to say this hurts that 5ch post because it doesn't since only the next character would truly kill it but it's something to keep in mind maybe? If true, I really just hope that KOS-MOS wasn't the leakbait, lol.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I never took it seriously but if we did we could see that all of those characters are probably not happening. I get the feeling Nintendo has characters up as leakbait as well and I get the feeling that Hayabusa might be one of them... maybe even Crash. I dont want to say this hurts that 5ch post because it doesn't since only the next character would truly kill it but it's something to keep in mind maybe? If true, I really just hope that KOS-MOS wasn't the leakbait, lol.
Maybe Jonesy and Arle are bait too...

KOS-MOS, Reimu and either Elma, Ahri or Octoling. Yes. This is fine.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait... people were spamming Harada requesting all those characters? Well I'm glad KOS-MOS wasn't in that lost of hashtags 0.0
Long story short, these support accounts were roleplaying and sharing memes, and Alberto decided to be an asshole and randomly tag Harada, thus ruining the fun for everyone else

MattX20

Smash Hero

That, and Harada isn't the one making the calls for Smash DLC. It's unfortunate about all that spam from Twitter users he got

Luty

Smash Cadet
As far as KOS-MOS being a Bandai Namco and/or Monolith Soft representative, she would have to represent both. Which is why I think it would be hard for her to ever get into Smash . . . if it was not developed by Bandai Namco. Bandai Namco would need Monolith Soft's cooperation to add in the extra content that would come with KOS-MOS. Like how only FFVII stuff came with Cloud and Sephy, I think only content that Bandai Namco and Monolith Soft did together could come with KOS-MOS. This is why I think they might be hesitant on KOS-MOS as a playable character; because they may not legally be able to add anything outside of BN/MS cooperated projects.

I could be dead wrong, but it could upset a lot of people if a Bandai Namco got a rep, but nothing outside of Xenosaga or Baiten Kaitos come out of it. Granted, I would be fine with this, but I think a lot of people who wanted more Namco music/Miis or Xenoblade music/Miis would be livid that their chances are not coming in the KOS-MOS character pack. Unless Bandai Namco are cool with their character representing other games and media that they had no part in or Monolith Soft thinking the same. The Miis are more up in the air, as we have seen Namco costumes come out with other companies' characters. The music is more questionable, however. Let me know what you think.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As far as KOS-MOS being a Bandai Namco and/or Monolith Soft representative, she would have to represent both. Which is why I think it would be hard for her to ever get into Smash . . . if it was not developed by Bandai Namco. Bandai Namco would need Monolith Soft's cooperation to add in the extra content that would come with KOS-MOS. Like how only FFVII stuff came with Cloud and Sephy, I think only content that Bandai Namco and Monolith Soft did together could come with KOS-MOS. This is why I think they might be hesitant on KOS-MOS as a playable character; because they may not legally be able to add anything outside of BN/MS cooperated projects.

I could be dead wrong, but it could upset a lot of people if a Bandai Namco got a rep, but nothing outside of Xenosaga or Baiten Kaitos come out of it. Granted, I would be fine with this, but I think a lot of people who wanted more Namco music/Miis or Xenoblade music/Miis would be livid that their chances are not coming in the KOS-MOS character pack. Unless Bandai Namco are cool with their character representing other games and media that they had no part in or Monolith Soft thinking the same. The Miis are more up in the air, as we have seen Namco costumes come out with other companies' characters. The music is more questionable, however. Let me know what you think.
So in other words not solely Namco or MS; both have to be involved?

this is how Elma can still win 🙏

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Regardless of what non Xenosaga fans say about the series or how it flopped in sales, if it wasn't for Xenosaga's failure in sales Monolith Soft wouldn't have left Namco to Nintendo to create Xenoblade. Without Xenosaga, Xenoblade wouldn't exist and that alone to me is enough reason to include KOS-MOS in the roster.

Luty

Smash Cadet
So in other words not solely Namco or MS; both have to be involved?

this is how Elma can still win 🙏
I mean, it is possible. Lloyd fans would be very upset if their red clad boy cannot use his twin swords as a Mii costume, but I am sure it would ironically come with Elma. They would not think of making them Smash clones. Then again, I would not be surprised at this point if they made one of the characters a clone with all of the speculation rules they have broken.

I wish I could play Xenoblade Chronicles X, but buying an overpriced used Wii U on ebay for one game seems excessive. I would really like a rerelease of the game on the Switch if ever possible. Until then, I am solely rooting for KOS-MOS as far as Smash Bros Ultimate goes. Elma is more of a "I wish I could play her game" pick. Many probably feel the same about KOS-MOS, whose games are only available on PS2 and the Nintendo DS.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, it is possible. Lloyd fans would be very upset if their red clad boy cannot use his twin swords as a Mii costume, but I am sure it would ironically come with Elma. They would not think of making them Smash clones. Then again, I would not be surprised at this point if they made one of the characters a clone with all of the speculation rules they have broken.

I wish I could play Xenoblade Chronicles X, but buying an overpriced used Wii U on ebay for one game seems excessive. I would really like a rerelease of the game on the Switch if ever possible. Until then, I am solely rooting for KOS-MOS as far as Smash Bros Ultimate goes. Elma is more of a "I wish I could play her game" pick. Many probably feel the same about KOS-MOS, whose games are only available on PS2 and the Nintendo DS.
I want that switch port soon 🥺

I keep having dreams about playing it. THAT’S how much of an impact it’s made on me

Top Bottom