• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Did we ever discuss KOS-MOS potential Mii Costume wave?
It depends.... do they consider her a Namco/Xeno rep and are trying to fill both slots in one character? If so I can see Shion Uzuki being the gunner, Melia as a swordfighter, Ziggurat 8 or Chaos as the mii brawlers. Lloyd returns as a mii.

I feel like Momo and Rubedo/JR deserve a mii since they are very important characters in Xenosaga but unfortunately their gameplay does not fit the mii playstyle. At best they will be spirits

Bakabridget

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bakabridget
KOS-MOS would be great but I've been wanting her for a really long time and she's never happened yet so I'm not sure what her chances actually are. I name my retainer in FF14 Kirschwasser after the ones in Xenosaga. KOS-MOS is really cool but it's hard to imagine why Nintendo would pick her.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
KOS-MOS would be great but I've been wanting her for a really long time and she's never happened yet so I'm not sure what her chances actually are. I name my retainer in FF14 Kirschwasser after the ones in Xenosaga. KOS-MOS is really cool but it's hard to imagine why Nintendo would pick her.
Nintendo wouldn't, but there's a non-zero chance that Monolithsoft would if it were up to them.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I don't know how long you've been wanting her for but circumstances are very different now from before, especially during the Switch era.

Nowadays Monolith has become Nintendo's biggest subsidiary, and bigger than most of Nintendo's affiliates, including stuff like Intelligent Systems which has existed for a lot longer.
And the reason they've been able to grow so much is precisely how successful they have been. Obviously with Xenoblade they are supplying Nintendo with a more traditional JRPG series, something Nintendo has been struggling with since the N64 era, but there's more to it. Their most intimate codevelopment with Nintendo, Breath of the Wild, turned Zelda from a sub 8 million seller into a 20+ million seller. And while not to the same extent as BotW (where half the development team was Monolith according to interviews with Miyamoto and Aonuma) they still have a hand in other major Switch multi-million releases.

Probably the main reason why I'm confident in a Monolith character happening is the stark contrast between how Monolith was during Smash 4 and how it is now. Back then they weren't half as big, they hadn't even had a million seller with Nintendo yet, and despite that they got Shulk in the game, a stage with a boss, an assist trophy and even a significant piece of content from one of their pre-Nintendo series: a remix of Valedictory Elegy from Baten Kaitos. I know it doesn't sound that major but imagine how such a thing even happened, either Monolith themselves or somebody at Nintendo thought pre-Nintendo Monolith content was worth putting some effort into and pushing for it in Smash (also personal ranting: that remix is much better than the one Xenoblade got, which is just a bunch of tracks forcefully stapled together and barely sound any different from the original).

However what does the much more successful Monolith get in Ultimate years later? Absolutely no significant content... obviously no new character, stage, musical arrangements nor items, you know, the things that actually require effort from the Smash team. It got a couple mii costumes, but they are obviously just scaled down versions of XB2 models when you look at them closely. It got a few, very few, music tracks but none of them are remixed (also they are still bugged years later, what the ****). The CLOSEST thing to new significant content they got was Mythra's redesign... which was handled by Monolith themselves.

The dichotomy just seems so strange to me you know? It would be one thing if Monolith was still their smaller selves from the early 10s, then it would be far more believable to me that they could get completely skipped in a smash game. But now? Even in the most pessimistic and cynical image of Nintendo it's hard for me to imagine they would be like "yeah, these guys and the stuff they make are no good, they don't make any money. Let's not bother" and for this mentality to endure for the whole 6 years Ultimate's development cycle is going to last.

And if I'm wrong? Well in that case I get to save some money. I still have to recover from the critical hit Kosmos dealt to my wallet...

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I feel like given that the Namco costumes are all being spread throughout this second wave, if she were to come I could see her come with Xeno themed costumes instead like T-Elos, Gears, more Xenoblade characters, etc...
Imagine getting some Xenogears content in Smash...that would honestly be incredible! Not entirely out of the question
since There is a secret boss from Gears. Cannot remember the name but I remember it vividly.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It appears with Sephiroth's update, there are only 3 empty spots left in the voice sound test menu. The likelihood of KOS-MOS coming with a T-Elos alt has decreased significantly
There is a way around that; if Reimu is mute as she has no truly official VO

crash will for sure have a voice, but I still ain’t seeing a Coco alt

MattX20

Smash Hero
There is a way around that; if Reimu is mute as she has no truly official VO

crash will for sure have a voice, but I still ain’t seeing a Coco alt
True, but I'm just saying the likelihood of a T-Elos alt isn't as strong as before. KOS-MOS still has a chance, but it remains to be seen whether or not Lloyd is going to be prioritized or not.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I had this vision of a "T-Elos challenge" where you would play as KOS-MOS and have to fight against a boss alt T-Elos and of course if you won, you got to have them both early. This Sephiroth challenge has opened up a lot of possibilities to make future DLC more exciting that it's a shame it was introduced with only 3 characters left. It might not happen again either.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I had this vision of a "T-Elos challenge" where you would play as KOS-MOS and have to fight against a boss alt T-Elos and of course if you won, you got to have them both early. This Sephiroth challenge has opened up a lot of possibilities to make future DLC more exciting that it's a shame it was introduced with only 3 characters left. It might not happen again either.
Another character it could work with: Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)

in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, if you purchased the Expansion Pass DLC, there’s an “Otherworldly Fighter” challenge wherein you fight Elma and once shes defeated she joins you as a special guest Blade. You’d need to clear the exceedingly difficult “Elma Redux” battle to use her outside of the Land of Challenges, though

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
It appears with Sephiroth's update, there are only 3 empty spots left in the voice sound test menu. The likelihood of KOS-MOS coming with a T-Elos alt has decreased significantly
Hmm so AC cloud took one of the slots? What does this mean for the voice theory?

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Hmm so AC cloud took one of the slots? What does this mean for the voice theory?
I'm not the craziest about looking into voice theory but assuming it is a thing and the Crash/Reimu/KOS-MOS leak is real, that'd just mean that every character would be voiced or either KOS-MOS or Crash have alts of T-Elos or Coco and Reimu does not have a VA. (Crash has a voice right? I've never played Crash Bandicoot, some gamer I am.)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm not the craziest about looking into voice theory but assuming it is a thing and the Crash/Reimu/KOS-MOS leak is real, that'd just mean that every character would be voiced or either KOS-MOS or Crash have alts of T-Elos or Coco and Reimu does not have a VA. (Crash has a voice right? I've never played Crash Bandicoot, some gamer I am.)
Crash 4 has Crash be voiced, I know that much. Even though he has no real dialogue, just grunts and yelps as opposed to Coco’s full dialogue which makes me doubt a Coco alt

Reimu’s the one I can see being mute without issue since most of the spin-offs on switch aren’t made by ZUN himself. That’s the only times she has a VO and they’re not even consistent

Last edited:

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
So AC Cloud was our culprit the whole time eh? I guess in some way voice theory WAS correct but we just didn't expect the extra voice slot to belong to a pre-existing character. This just goes to show that we should expect the unexpected from Sakurai because I doubt speculators were thinking one of our DLC characters was going to be related with a base game character (Cloud and Sephiroth in this case.)

At this point, I'm in the same page as everyone else. Assuming Reimu is not voiced KOS-MOS and T-elos can still exist as opposite Alts to each other but I doubt Coco as an alt for Crash since she has actual dialogue whereas Crash does not. I just don't see her making grunts and shouts all the time especially considering she's supposed to be the smarter of the 2. Just doesn't fit with her character.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So stupid question to ask, but would a Xenosaga rep like KOS-MOS and a Xenoblade rep like Elma or Rex & Pyra be too much Xeno for the Pass if it happened? I certainly wouldn't think so since Xenosaga and Xenoblade are two different franchises that exist in the same universe like Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Wario, and Banjo-Kazooie. To me for the Xeno series, it would be the equivalent of Mario and Donkey Kong getting characters one after the other which I say isn't weird since they're two different franchises despite existing in the same universe.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
even if we still only have 3 slots left the 5chan rumor can still hold true. just no one gets an alt. Reimu would be voice i feel, because she still TALKS in her games.
So do you think Reimu would be voiced in English or Japanese for the western release of Smash?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So stupid question to ask, but would a Xenosaga rep like KOS-MOS and a Xenoblade rep like Elma or Rex & Pyra be too much Xeno for the Pass if it happened? I certainly wouldn't think so since Xenosaga and Xenoblade are two different franchises that exist in the same universe like Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Wario, and Banjo-Kazooie. To me for the Xeno series, it would be the equivalent of Mario and Donkey Kong getting characters one after the other which I say isn't weird since they're two different franchises despite existing in the same universe.
Maybe KOS-MOS in pass 2 if we’re still also getting Reimu and Crash; but save Elma for a pass 3 if it happens. Assuming Pass 3 has only four characters as per the WoL slots remaining after pass 2’s done I also predict Ahri (League of Legends) and Octoling (Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion) in pass 3. The last one... is up in the air imo

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Like, it's SUPER unlikely, but imagine if Shantae and Reimu both got in and Christina Vee voiced both of them? It would be weird. But than again, Sakurai does the voices for Dedede and K. Rool I think.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Like, it's SUPER unlikely, but imagine if Shantae and Reimu both got in and Christina Vee voiced both of them? It would be weird. But than again, Sakurai does the voices for Dedede and K. Rool I think.
Hold up what

this is news to me

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, Sakurai does the voice for Dedede. I'm not sure about K. Rool though, but I am assuming since K. Rool sounds a little bit like Dedede.
I knew about Dedede but not K. Rool if that’s true

also slight tangent I’m just not feeling Hayabusa’s chances anymore

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Plus, KOS-MOS could still be a character in the pass even if the 5Chan leak is false. We could still end up with KOS-MOS, Hayabusa, and Crash at the end of the day
That's very true. I mean it was just so damn weird that KOS-MOS was in multiple "fakes" last year that even got some stuff right. I'm not 100% sure of her being moved, hell I dont even know if she's in the pass but just hearing her name last year and then a year later is actually kind of bizarre in the grand scheme of things. While I personally do not follow Vergeben anymore and nor do I even think he is credible, it's pretty damn suspicious that KOS-MOS was the one he was stuck on and people told me verge disappeared after he said there were Koei tecmo talks. Let's say that actually happened and negotiations for Hayabusa fell through.... we still have that Reimu doujin circle leak to keep in mind. Basically... all 4 of these characters have been in leaks last year that were fake at the time but possibly something is going on. Crash is the one I am most uncertain of because as far as I know there is no source for the Crash crossover in smash rumour besides one Spanish twitter account. That just seems very suspicious.

Also, KOS-MOS and T-ELOS are voiced by the same person in every game. Even in XB2, Caitlin Thorburn provides the voice for both while in Xenosaga Episode III it is Bridget Hoffman for both. If we do get alts that would actually make sense. While I personally dont like Caitlin Thorburn's VA because she butchers the pronounciation of KOS-MOS so hard... it's probably what to expect.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That's very true. I mean it was just so damn weird that KOS-MOS was in multiple "fakes" last year that even got some stuff right. I'm not 100% sure of her being moved, hell I dont even know if she's in the pass but just hearing her name last year and then a year later is actually kind of bizarre in the grand scheme of things. While I personally do not follow Vergeben anymore and nor do I even think he is credible, it's pretty damn suspicious that KOS-MOS was the one he was stuck on and people told me verge disappeared after he said there were Koei tecmo talks. Let's say that actually happened and negotiations for Hayabusa fell through.... we still have that Reimu doujin circle leak to keep in mind. Basically... all 4 of these characters have been in leaks last year that were fake at the time but possibly something is going on. Crash is the one I am most uncertain of because as far as I know there is no source for the Crash crossover in smash rumour besides one Spanish twitter account. That just seems very suspicious.

Also, KOS-MOS and T-ELOS are voiced by the same person in every game. Even in XB2, Caitlin Thorburn provides the voice for both while in Xenosaga Episode III it is Bridget Hoffman for both. If we do get alts that would actually make sense. While I personally dont like Caitlin Thorburn's VA because she butchers the pronounciation of KOS-MOS so hard... it's probably what to expect.
I do believe alts with the same vo but different lines also count for having different folders. after all, both girl and boy Inkling are voiced by the same person, just have different lines. Same with now vanilla Cloud and AC Cloud

also wrt disapearring after the KT talks mention and being stuck on KOS-MOS, he also hasn't gotten back on the League of Legends rumor which he said he'd look into

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

KOS-MOS was a regular in leaks before? News to me. I only remember her being sort of part of the Grinch leak. I think people determined what was thought to be KOS-MOS was actually a cloud. I can't remember anything else though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
KOS-MOS was a regular in leaks before? News to me. I only remember her being sort of part of the Grinch leak. I think people determined what was thought to be KOS-MOS was actually a cloud. I can't remember anything else though.
It was precisely around TGA 2019, in fact

Top Bottom