• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Yeah I posted it some pages ago. He makes the same points as me mostly. Really good watch.
Alright video but I kinda face palmed when he said Fei would be too similar to Ryu or a Lucario echo. Being similar... does not equal being an echo nor would he have command inputs.

She's a good Xeno as a whole rep though and while most cameos seem to focus just on her, Sakurai usually likes to go in depth about the characters and their lores. "Who is KOS-MOS" and "What is Xenosaga" sound like cool things I could hear Sakurai talking about and the spirits would probably bring attention to the other cast too.

MattX20

Smash Hero
A question that should probably be asked. Since KOS-MOS and by extension Xenosaga are technically part of the same universe as Xenoblade, would she be counted as one or her own separate series? Same question also applies to the music

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A question that should probably be asked. Since KOS-MOS and by extension Xenosaga are technically part of the same universe as Xenoblade, would she be counted as one or her own separate series? Same question also applies to the music
Probably separate series. They counted Terry as Fatal Fury and not KOF.

Luty

Smash Cadet
It depends on how well negotiations go with adding the music. The composers for Episode I, II and III are different, and would need permissions from different entities for each title's entries, would they not?

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Different series so different music selection but I'd like to imagine that she'd gain a spirit buff for equipping Xeno spirits of any sorts. The Mii fighters get bonuses from equipping Smash and Mii universe spirits so it's not unfounded.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I just asked because it's just speculation going off the possibility if one believes that the remaining 2 unused slots in the music test menu factor into things

Suiren_Kirin

Smash Cadet
I don't think anyone has put it here yet, so I'll leave it to you in case you want to see it

She appears in many more games than I thought!

After seeing sephirot I still think that KOS-MOS will enter smash, there is a pattern in selecting characters with a certain base and focused on a varied gameplay.
In this case sephirot is popular, but with KOS-MOS it will happen the same as with Samus, in Sakurai's words no one knew Samus when he came out in Smash and now she is quite recognized, it would be a wonder that KOS-MOS was recognized as it deserves

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't think anyone has put it here yet, so I'll leave it to you in case you want to see it

She appears in many more games than I thought!

After seeing sephirot I still think that KOS-MOS will enter smash, there is a pattern in selecting characters with a certain base and focused on a varied gameplay.
In this case sephirot is popular, but with KOS-MOS it will happen the same as with Samus, in Sakurai's words no one knew Samus when he came out in Smash and now she is quite recognized, it would be a wonder that KOS-MOS was recognized as it deserves
Terry was known among the FGC, but among general audiences was definitely more obscure. Same is true for KOS-MOS being more well known to JRPG fans than casual audiences familiar with FF7.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I do feel that CP9 is going to be a 'smaller' third party character which could be KOS-MOS, Arle, Sol Badguy or so, but it would be great if it were KOS-MOS.
Yeah, Crash is definitely E3 material. Maybe Reimu too at least for Japan if that rumor’s true

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Heh, two angelic themed characters in a row. That would be neat.

I'm pretty confident that the next 3 fighters will be lower key to some significance so if there's a spot to put KOS-MOS, it would be now. Put the big characters first that will sell the pass and once everyone has it, that's where the little guys come in. That said, I'm still perplexed as to why Min Min was chosen to open pass 2. You would think Steve would garner a lot more hype. Meh meh.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
They need to do justice to Xeno music and whatever they put Rex, Elma or Kos-Mos, include lots of music tracks. At least all battle themes of Xenoblade 2 (12), 2 Torna (1), X (19) and 1 DE (5/6?). I want the same treatment as SNK, 40/50 songs from all Xenosaga/blade games haha. Maybe include 1/2 tracks from Proyect x Zone.

Suiren_Kirin

Smash Cadet
It is super strange that there is still no reference to the xeno saga even in the more than 1400 spirits that there are ...

On the other hand, the order in which I think the three that remain after what I have seen after sephirot will appear would be this:

FP9: KOS-MOS would be the following
FP10: Crash, they'll announce it at E3 for sure
FP11: Master Chief, I also think they will put it in and announce it at E3, this would already go to November with its 20th anniversary and the departure of Infinite.

I love Doom Slayer but if it didn't come out the other day, which was the anniversary and the TGA, I doubt it's going to come out, although I hope I'm wrong. That said, I look forward to the next Nintendo Direct, where they will most likely announce KOS-MOS and who knows, maybe the new title that Monolith Soft is working on.

2021 is going to be a great year.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
I do feel that CP9 is going to be a 'smaller' third party character which could be KOS-MOS, Arle, Sol Badguy or so, but it would be great if it were KOS-MOS.
On the topic of Sol, I would be ecstatic if he were one of our 3 DLC characters but that would shatter the 5chan leak now would it? I've always wanted both Sol and KOS-MOS since they are some of my favorite characters for both JRPGs and Fighting games respectively. Honestly, I thought we were guaranteed to get a Tekken rep before we saw Heihachi's demise and a part of me was low-key happy Tekken was disconfirmed because that makes room for both a Namco rep (KOS-MOS) and another Fighting Game character (Sol) I think both have plenty to work with in their movesets to distinguish themselves apart from the other JRPG and FGC characters. I think both of them are sleeper picks for DLC because they are Niche but awesome picks.

Speaking of the 5chan leak though, We know the next DLC character is expected around March but I had an interesting thought regarding the reveal order for our 3 rumored DLC characters. Do you guys think if Crash and Reimu are announced it will be in a dual reveal similar to Hero and Banjo? because we have potentially another pair of characters that appeal to both the East and West, and I only see this type of reveal being reserved for an event like E3 but the Amiibo theory says otherwise. The only way I can see this happen is if KOS-MOS is our March reveal, and Reimu and Crash are our E3 reveals. But that implies our last 3 characters will be completed well before the Fighter's pass 2 is slated to end...

OR Amiibo theory no longer proves useful to us and we get Reimu and Crash for E3, and KOS-MOS is the last character for later in the year. I also doubt this scenario because Amiibo theory has proven to be one of the best and consistent indicators on a fighters release period along with the Japanese 711 ads.

*Keep in mind this is assuming the world recovers from the pandemic so that E3 returns. This is pretty unlikely, so for all I know we may have another broken pair of DLC reveals similar to how Min Min and Steve were planned for this year's dual E3 reveal.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On the topic of Sol, I would be ecstatic if he were one of our 3 DLC characters but that would shatter the 5chan leak now would it? I've always wanted both Sol and KOS-MOS since they are some of my favorite characters for both JRPGs and Fighting games respectively. Honestly, I thought we were guaranteed to get a Tekken rep before we saw Heihachi's demise and a part of me was low-key happy Tekken was disconfirmed because that makes room for both a Namco rep (KOS-MOS) and another Fighting Game character (Sol) I think both have plenty to work with in their movesets to distinguish themselves apart from the other JRPG and FGC characters. I think both of them are sleeper picks for DLC because they are Niche but awesome picks.

Speaking of the 5chan leak though, We know the next DLC character is expected around March but I had an interesting thought regarding the reveal order for our 3 rumored DLC characters. Do you guys think if Crash and Reimu are announced it will be in a dual reveal similar to Hero and Banjo? because we have potentially another pair of characters that appeal to both the East and West, and I only see this type of reveal being reserved for an event like E3 but the Amiibo theory says otherwise. The only way I can see this happen is if KOS-MOS is our March reveal, and Reimu and Crash are our E3 reveals. But that implies our last 3 characters will be completed well before the Fighter's pass 2 is slated to end...

OR Amiibo theory no longer proves useful to us and we get Reimu and Crash for E3, and KOS-MOS is the last character for later in the year. I also doubt this scenario because Amiibo theory has proven to be one of the best and consistent indicators on a fighters release period along with the Japanese 711 ads.
i do think Reimu and Crash will be Hero & Banjo 2.0, one that's crazy popular in japan, the other crazy popular in the west

Last edited:

ArceusMaster

Smash Rookie
That's very true. I mean it was just so damn weird that KOS-MOS was in multiple "fakes" last year that even got some stuff right. I'm not 100% sure of her being moved, hell I dont even know if she's in the pass but just hearing her name last year and then a year later is actually kind of bizarre in the grand scheme of things. While I personally do not follow Vergeben anymore and nor do I even think he is credible, it's pretty damn suspicious that KOS-MOS was the one he was stuck on and people told me verge disappeared after he said there were Koei tecmo talks. Let's say that actually happened and negotiations for Hayabusa fell through.... we still have that Reimu doujin circle leak to keep in mind. Basically... all 4 of these characters have been in leaks last year that were fake at the time but possibly something is going on. Crash is the one I am most uncertain of because as far as I know there is no source for the Crash crossover in smash rumour besides one Spanish twitter account. That just seems very suspicious.

Also, KOS-MOS and T-ELOS are voiced by the same person in every game. Even in XB2, Caitlin Thorburn provides the voice for both while in Xenosaga Episode III it is Bridget Hoffman for both. If we do get alts that would actually make sense. While I personally dont like Caitlin Thorburn's VA because she butchers the pronounciation of KOS-MOS so hard... it's probably what to expect.
The fakes last year could've come from the fact that Xenosaga HD was officially on the table until a market analysis came back as not profitable. If it came back profitable and they were making it, KOS-MOS would've been perfect to promote it. I'm worried that if I'm right, they'd just nix bringing KOS-MOS to smash and replacing her with whoever will lead of their next Xeno game.

I've been cheering for KOS-MOS for so long, since at least brawl. (Also lightning from ff13, but mainly KOS-MOS) The series is SO underrated. It's my favorite IP. I have not purchased any smash DLC ever. Every release has been so disappointing for me. I don't care about any of the characters released. It'll really stink if every single character is a dud for me but if KOS-MOS gets in, I'll but the fighter pass just ti support the decision lol!

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it depends on what the smash team settles as her default look. Also, there's no reason to believe Kirby-mos will only have either the visor or the hair only. For all we know, he might have both her visor and hair. With that being said though, Whenever Kirby copies Hero, Kirby will always copy Erdrick's Coronet and sword of light, so I can see this going either way. Lets say KOS-MOS RE is her default look, but she is currently using Version 4's alt. Whenever Kirby copies her, he might still retain her RE appearance and vise-versa with potentially Version 4, seeing as it is her most iconic look. I've seen multiple instances where people claim Erdrick was meant to be the default hero before that honor was given to the Luminary to promote DQ11S, and Kirby's hero copy ability is among them.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
On a 1-10 scale, how confident are you in KOS-MOS chances of being playable right now? I'm confident in a second Bandai Namco rep, so I can at least say a 7.
5 out of 10. I don't think she's likely, but I don't think she's unlikely either. I will give her a 8 or 9 if the Lloyd Mii costumes returns and there is no Tales rep. So if Tales is out, that would just leave Xenosaga and Soul Calibur for the potential franchise to take the potential Namco slot.

Suiren_Kirin

Smash Cadet
On a 1-10 scale, how confident are you in KOS-MOS chances of being playable right now? I'm confident in a second Bandai Namco rep, so I can at least say a 7.
10, Like Min Min case, I don't see a world where Tetsuya Takahashi is asked and he doesn't choose his baby

With all that Bamco has helped in Smash and all the work that Monolith has done for Nintendo these years I find it insulting that they do not include another representative, especially after seeing the case of Byleth that did not even need it. If there is a character that truly represents the entire Xeno saga..
...it is KOS-MOS.

That the character is unknown no longer means much considering his legacy, as in the case of Terry, funny the fact that terry and kossy have their own anime too

It gives hope that sakurai already knows about KOS-MOS and that they recognize its potential in the moveset, and that figures as great as Harada want to return to Xenosaga, that and adding clues such as the one from the Xenoblade 2 reconnaissance mission, makes me understand that this saga is going to be talked about in the future, and even without announcing its 3rd possible part

I have a higher degree in marketing and it seems very strange to me that, as a company, they have redesigned this character with so much love with T-elos, only to have them come out as a cameo .. Shulk had a slight redesign in Xenoblade 2 and this one finished with slight improvements in his Remastered. Mythra has also been censored just to be represented in Smash, this did not happen with Mai Shiranui.

In general there is a pattern of extra effort with this saga, to the point that it was almost represented if it were not for time, and that with a fighter pass it has not yet been represented and if ARMS tells me that they are saving something.

I have even bet with my friends that if Kossy is going to appear in Smash, even if it never happens I have had a great time with speculation, but for now my chance of it coming out is 100%, I am optimistic and I think that his appearance It will have an effect like Samus and it will make her recognized, helping Xeno to be taken into account even more as happened with Fire Emblem, and giving the push that this company needs to get a good Remaster, which the Monolith team must be wishing him for the love they have for him.

I think I got a little excited writing (I was listening to the new hyrule warrior's mipha song while posting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvqQ4MrqvCE&ab_channel=Elithralith)) Since I started reading this thread I found very interesting things but it must be lost between pages, there were cool clues that would now make more sense with the arrival of sephirot ..

And you? What are the evidence that gives you the most confidence? Personally I remain with the self respect that Sakurai has for his own Bandai Namco collaborators in the building where he works and his closeness to them is enough for me. Thank you very much for reading!!

MattX20

Smash Hero
10, Like Min Min case, I don't see a world where Tetsuya Takahashi is asked and he doesn't choose his baby

With all that Bamco has helped in Smash and all the work that Monolith has done for Nintendo these years I find it insulting that they do not include another representative, especially after seeing the case of Byleth that did not even need it. If there is a character that truly represents the entire Xeno saga..
...it is KOS-MOS.

That the character is unknown no longer means much considering his legacy, as in the case of Terry, funny the fact that terry and kossy have their own anime too

It gives hope that sakurai already knows about KOS-MOS and that they recognize its potential in the moveset, and that figures as great as Harada want to return to Xenosaga, that and adding clues such as the one from the Xenoblade 2 reconnaissance mission, makes me understand that this saga is going to be talked about in the future, and even without announcing its 3rd possible part

I have a higher degree in marketing and it seems very strange to me that, as a company, they have redesigned this character with so much love with T-elos, only to have them come out as a cameo .. Shulk had a slight redesign in Xenoblade 2 and this one finished with slight improvements in his Remastered. Mythra has also been censored just to be represented in Smash, this did not happen with Mai Shiranui.

In general there is a pattern of extra effort with this saga, to the point that it was almost represented if it were not for time, and that with a fighter pass it has not yet been represented and if ARMS tells me that they are saving something.

I have even bet with my friends that if Kossy is going to appear in Smash, even if it never happens I have had a great time with speculation, but for now my chance of it coming out is 100%, I am optimistic and I think that his appearance It will have an effect like Samus and it will make her recognized, helping Xeno to be taken into account even more as happened with Fire Emblem, and giving the push that this company needs to get a good Remaster, which the Monolith team must be wishing him for the love they have for him.

I think I got a little excited writing (I was listening to the new hyrule warrior's mipha song while posting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvqQ4MrqvCE&ab_channel=Elithralith)) Since I started reading this thread I found very interesting things but it must be lost between pages, there were cool clues that would now make more sense with the arrival of sephirot ..

And you? What are the evidence that gives you the most confidence? Personally I remain with the self respect that Sakurai has for his own Bandai Namco collaborators in the building where he works and his closeness to them is enough for me. Thank you very much for reading!!
I'm confident in Lloyd or KOS-MOS as the Bandai Namco rep the most due to how both of their respective series had noteworthy impacts. That, and it seems idiotic that Nintendo wouldn't want one more Bandai Namco rep especially since that company is the one making the game in the first place

The Lightning Python

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3196-3471-4788
If she's in we might have to brace ourselves for Caitlin Thorburn providing the voice for her again. As much as I want the original KOS-MOS voice actress(s) and correct pronunciations I feel like KOS-MOS Re is who she is from here on out and Colleen and Bridget probably expressed no interest in reprising her role in Xenoblade 2. if they instead would go for Japanese VA they can just use Mariko Suzuki who has been KOS-MOS since episode 1 and did reprise her JPN role in Xenoblade 2 and I feel like that would make a lot of sense. I'd at least hope that if this is the case that Sakurai has Version 1 as a throwback to her original design and perhaps he can even explain that Re is based on version 1 like her Xenoblade 2 concept art suggests.

And here's a crackpot theory of mine. I previously have stated that Re going forward is the new KOS-MOS. If Harada had plans to revive KOS-MOS he would 100% go with that version as the main focus in marketing assuming that she's the Namco rep. Harada previously stated at the beginning of 2020 that he was working hard on a KOS-MOS revival project that went on hiatus now. That cannot be Xenosaga HD because the market analysis failure of Xenosaga HD happened years ago and for all we know KOS-MOS is going to come back in something. Doesn't have to be smash and I'm only suggesting that it may be the case through speculation. Harada talked with Monolith Soft about Xeno towards the end of 2019 and was promoted to general brand manager of Namco as well last year. I guess I just cannot see a world in which KOS-MOS version 1 or 4 became the default in smash especially when everything about Re suggests that she's super marketable. We know Harada and Sakurai have talked various times as they work together too.
I hope I didn't trouble for bringing up this topic again. But what you said puzzles me, about you saying Xenosaga HD failed market analysis actually over years ago instead of recently. I thought so since Harada brought up that in a tweet in the end of 2019. But if it did fail then when what year? And also what type of revival project would Harada go for since the HD collection is out of the question. My choice if I given this is either a Reboot or Episode IV.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm confident in Lloyd or KOS-MOS as the Bandai Namco rep the most due to how both of their respective series had noteworthy impacts. That, and it seems idiotic that Nintendo wouldn't want one more Bandai Namco rep especially since that company is the one making the game in the first place
Soul Calibur has had a noteworthy impact too being Namco's biggest fighting game crossover with guests like Link, Heihachi, Spawn, Darth Vadar, Yoda, Ezio Auditore, 2B, ect. I wouldn't sleep on Soul Calibur for a second.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I hope I didn't trouble for bringing up this topic again. But what you said puzzles me, about you saying Xenosaga HD failed market analysis actually over years ago instead of recently. I thought so since Harada brought up that in a tweet in the end of 2019. But if it did fail then when what year? And also what type of revival project would Harada go for since the HD collection is out of the question. My choice if I given this is either a Reboot or Episode IV.
My guess is that it failed 3-5 years ago in the market analysis. Harada mentioned he was sad about it but talked to the team after a long time

Otherwise Harada's plan to push KOS-MOS in something wouldn't make sense. Also, he mentioned that while it did fail it would be difficult to resurface. Imo, that never confirmed it was dead 100%. As for what Harada's plan is... nobody knows but my hope is that he keeps pushing Xenosaga remaster even if we get KOS-MOS in smash. Xenosaga Episode IV would be amazing but unlikely sadly.

Luty

Smash Cadet
Hello, you may call me Luty in the forums here. I just wanted to introduce myself and what I think about the new character speculations. Forgive me if I ramble about pointless stuff.

I have been lurking on here for well over a year, and have been supporting KOS-MOS for Smash Bros. since I heard Nintendo purchased Monolith Soft back in 2007. I had completed all Xenosaga games by then, and have played though Xenogears and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 recently. About to start Xenoblade DE. While I think Mythra/Pyra and Fei would be excellent additions to the roster, I can say with absolute certainty that I would prefer KOS-MOS.

Do I feel like KOS-MOS has a chance? Of course, considering the characters who have come into Smash Bros Ultimate. Do I believe there is a high chance for my most wanted character to get into Smash? I wish I could be more optimistic. While my outlook is low, I tend to stay on the pessimistic side of things over being realistic about the chances. I might do well as a sobering hype-checker. ^^;

My opinion on the recent Reimu/Crash leak remains dulled ever the same. I just do not think more than a handful of people even know who the sixth fighter of Fighter Pass 2 is going to be. Any leaks with more than two characters mentioned are easy for me to dismiss. I am not saying that all three characters will not show up as DLC, because they very well could. I just do not believe the leak to be a legitimate leak. My opinion on all character leaks is also very bleak. I cannot take them seriously unless there is circumstantial evidence like the SNK leak. Even then, we did not know for certain it was going to be Terry. If a leak comes from a credible source (like the Smash Bros code or website) instead of someone who claims he knows a guy who works at Nintendo, I am willing to listen intently.

I also want to give my opinion on Bandai/Namco and Monolith Soft representation, but there is a lot for me to type here.

TL;DR -- I support KOS-MOS for Smash. "Leaks" are usually not credible sources.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hello, you may call me Luty in the forums here. I just wanted to introduce myself and what I think about the new character speculations. Forgive me if I ramble about pointless stuff.

I have been lurking on here for well over a year, and have been supporting KOS-MOS for Smash Bros. since I heard Nintendo purchased Monolith Soft back in 2007. I had completed all Xenosaga games by then, and have played though Xenogears and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 recently. About to start Xenoblade DE. While I think Mythra/Pyra and Fei would be excellent additions to the roster, I can say with absolute certainty that I would prefer KOS-MOS.

Do I feel like KOS-MOS has a chance? Of course, considering the characters who have come into Smash Bros Ultimate. Do I believe there is a high chance for my most wanted character to get into Smash? I wish I could be more optimistic. While my outlook is low, I tend to stay on the pessimistic side of things over being realistic about the chances. I might do well as a sobering hype-checker. ^^;

My opinion on the recent Reimu/Crash leak remains dulled ever the same. I just do not think more than a handful of people even know who the sixth fighter of Fighter Pass 2 is going to be. Any leaks with more than two characters mentioned are easy for me to dismiss. I am not saying that all three characters will not show up as DLC, because they very well could. I just do not believe the leak to be a legitimate leak. My opinion on all character leaks is also very bleak. I cannot take them seriously unless there is circumstantial evidence like the SNK leak. Even then, we did not know for certain it was going to be Terry. If a leak comes from a credible source (like the Smash Bros code or website) instead of someone who claims he knows a guy who works at Nintendo, I am willing to listen intently.

I also want to give my opinion on Bandai/Namco and Monolith Soft representation, but there is a lot for me to type here.

TL;DR -- I support KOS-MOS for Smash. "Leaks" are usually not credible sources.
Welcome to the thread

Top Bottom