• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

D

Deleted member

As for the marketing. I’m not the target demographic, I’m the one that’s analyzing it. I pay attention to the marketing decisions and company priorities. I can criticize their marketing decisions and predict them. It’s why I’m expecting Nintendo to actually follow their words about “satisfying” customers by giving them a character they’ll love in Rex’s twenty-five dollar pay wall.
And like I said, you just need to show historical examples of this kind of logic being right before you've proven anything. Anyone can theorize; it's a Smash speculation forum. Will you be right is my question? I'd like evidence from the past if you're going to try and convince anybody.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
And like I said, you just need to show historical examples of this kind of logic being right before you've proven anything. Anyone can theorize; it's a Smash speculation forum. Will you be right is my question? I'd like evidence from the past if you're going to try and convince anybody.
Historical examples? Nintendo is still new when it comes to dlc. What I know for sure is that they are targeting unexpected audiences, the Namco dlc tease, their goal with dlc, their dlc pass set up, and the Rex costume situation (as told by Sakurai). Buddy, the problem here is that the history for smash dlc is too small and Nintendo wants to play stunts most of the time. This whole pass is a stunt, Kosmos is potentially a long-term stunt.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Historical examples? Nintendo is still new when it comes to dlc. What I know for sure is that they are targeting unexpected audiences, the Namco dlc tease, their dlc pass set up, and the Rex costume situation.
So you have no evidence, meaning your theory has no actual footing to hold itself on. Most of your arguments of KOSMOS are assumptions as a result, and assumptions are not 100%. With no credible leaker coming out and backing KOSMOS, it's very likely any theory we come up with are crap shoots and we have no basis to believe any of them.

While we're at it, let's go into why KOSMOS specifically and not other famous series like Tekken, Tales Of, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, or even Fire Emblem or Pokemon? They also have merit and practical business opportunities and it's not like the Fighters Pass is successful because of Rex. It was the four fighters currently revealed that made it as successful as it is. Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry have zero marketing hints in base game advertising. Why should KOSMOS be the exception? If this theory is anything to consider, surely the other DLC would have followed a similar pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
So you have no evidence, meaning your theory has no actual footing to hold itself on. Most of your arguments of KOSMOS are assumptions as a result, and assumptions are not 100%. With no credible leaker coming out and backing KOSMOS, it's very likely any theory we come up with are crap shoots.

While we're at it, let's go into why KOSMOS specifically and not other famous series like Tekken, Tales Of, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, or even Fire Emblem or Pokemon? They also have merit and practical business opportunities and it's not like the Fighters Pass is successful because of Rex. Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry have zero marketing hints in base game advertising. Why should KOSMOS be the exception? If this theory is anything to consider, surely the other DLC would have followed a similar pattern.
Because Kosmos will be a unexpected surprise that will guarantee approval with the Rex guys and the guys who follow the Xeno stuff. It’s basic marketing.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
KOS-MOS didn't deserve to have her support thread tainted by such a horrible argument.

Because Kosmos will be a unexpected surprise that will guarantee approval with the Rex guys or the guys who follow the Xeno stuff. It’s basic marketing.
As a huge supporter of Rex, the inclusion of KOS-MOS would not suddenly negate my desire to see him join the roster someday.

I really want her in the game, but more so as a representative of her actual series. Xenosaga =/= Xenoblade

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because Kosmos will be a unexpected surprise that will guarantee approval with the Rex guys or the guys who follow the Xeno stuff. It’s basic marketing.
Basic marketing would also make Nintendo want to promote an exceptionally successful series like Resident Evil and Fire Emblem. Both are incredibly successful, easy to contact, and are also on Nintendo consoles. The basic marketing argument isn't good enough here.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Basic marketing would also make Nintendo want to promote an exceptionally successful series like Resident Evil and Fire Emblem. Both are incredibly successful, easy to contact, and are also on Nintendo consoles. The basic marketing argument isn't good enough here.
You’re forgetting the concept of “the audience”. They expect that some of their audience are interested enough in Rex to buy the pass.

D

Deleted member

You’re forgetting the concept of “the audience”. They expect that some of their audience are interested enough in Rex to buy the pass.
Now riddle me this. Is this audience greater in number than the people who were interested in Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry? And if it's smaller, tell me, is this specific audience who wanted the Rex mii costume even close to the millions who were interested in the Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, and SNK megaloads of content? Enough to prioritize going against another series from Namco or Capcom?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Alright I found something new to discuss.

It's real blurry at parts but this was posted by a 4chan user. I'm not sure what it means for the bottom 3 characters and yes our very own KOS-MOS is on it as well as the other two cat leak characters. The above timeline seems VERY SOUND, imo. Now, this all relies on cat leak being true but let's say KOS-MOS, Reimu, and Hayabusa are indeed all developed in 3 like Joker, Hero, and Banjo were. If KOS-MOS got a game awards reveal it would make so much sense. Cat leak name dropped the other two characters .... Verg says Hayabusa is moved to post pass months after the cat leak, and we have the Reimu thing with the doujin circle. Now, the bizarre thing about this theory is that Terry is just.... kicked out and cat leaker (ASSUMING if it is the same person) knew about Banjo's codename but knew nothing about Terry coming? So Terry was secret if we can say.... and that doesn't add up, imo.

However, the cat leaker mentioned Reimu and Hayabusa were EARLY DEVELOPMENT, right? So then wouldn't this rule of 3 thing make sense?

I dont know if i'm even understanding this theory correctly so someone can take over if they want but this theory seems relatively sound at least the TOP part. I'm not sure about the bottom. We've give reasons for piggybacking already such as papagenos making that video and someone could copied the Banjo buddy guy, etc. Reimu leak was seemingly debunked and then lives again thanks to SNK getting 50 songs, etc. I also mentioned in a previous post the the fighters pass did extremely well financially so it is REAL possible that the next fighters are all 3rd party again. But in order for this theory to be true, KOS-MOS 100% has to be #5 and Sabi is theorizing that the game awards are going to be exciting. Not saying I believe Sabi but if KOS-MOS came with Xenosaga HD or is part of Xenoblade definitive edition... she can be #5 very easily, IMO.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's real blurry at parts but this was posted by a 4chan user. I'm not sure what it means for the bottom 3 characters and yes our very own KOS-MOS is on it as well as the other two cat leak characters. The above timeline seems VERY SOUND, imo. Now, this all relies on cat leak being true but let's say KOS-MOS, Reimu, and Hayabusa are indeed all developed in 3 like Joker, Hero, and Banjo were. If KOS-MOS got a game awards reveal it would make so much sense. Cat leak name dropped the other two characters .... Verg says Hayabusa is moved to post pass months after the cat leak, and we have the Reimu thing with the doujin circle. Now, the bizarre thing about this theory is that Terry is just.... kicked out and cat leaker (ASSUMING if it is the same person) knew about Banjo's codename but knew nothing about Terry coming? So Terry was secret if we can say.... and that doesn't add up, imo.

However, the cat leaker mentioned Reimu and Hayabusa were EARLY DEVELOPMENT, right? So then wouldn't this rule of 3 thing make sense?

I dont know if i'm even understanding this theory correctly so someone can take over if they want but this theory seems relatively sound at least the TOP part. I'm not sure about the bottom. We've give reasons for piggybacking already such as papagenos making that video and someone could copied the Banjo buddy guy, etc. Reimu leak was seemingly debunked and then lives again thanks to SNK getting 50 songs, etc. I also mentioned in a previous post the the fighters pass did extremely well financially so it is REAL possible that the next fighters are all 3rd party again. But in order for this theory to be true, KOS-MOS 100% has to be #5 and Sabi is theorizing that the game awards are going to be exciting. Not saying I believe Sabi but if KOS-MOS came with Xenosaga HD or is part of Xenoblade definitive edition... she can be #5 very easily, IMO.
For reference, what is the Cat Leak and why is it good?

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Now riddle me this. Is this audience greater in number than the people who were interested in Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry? And if it's smaller, tell me, is this specific audience who wanted the Rex mii costume even close to the number who were interested in the Persona 5, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, and SNK megaloads of content? Enough to prioritize going against another series?
You mean the audience that Nintendo is TRYING to appeal and gain? They bought Monoloift Soft for a reason and Namco allowed cameos for Kosmos and T-ellos for Xenoblade 2. Nintendo definitely doesn’t want to make their growing audience feel screwed over in a big title like Smash.

KOS-MOS didn't deserve to have her support thread tainted by such a horrible argument.

As a huge supporter of Rex, the inclusion of KOS-MOS would not suddenly negate my desire to see him join the roster someday.

I really want her in the game, but more so as a representative of her actual series. Xenosaga =/= Xenoblade
I get that. I’m only thinking in the perspective of a business man in Nintendo. I have to be short-sighted to not recognize the issues with the design choices. I also have to work with Namco, who recently trademark xenosgaga in 2018, and consider the Xenoblade 1 switch port. I will put in Kosmos to maintain the xenoblade crowd’s trust and benefit my partner at the same time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As much as I love to see so many people joining in, the amount of such messages is getting quite out of hand.

I honesyly don't see enough merit for a KOS-MOS Game Awards reveal. Sure, it could happen some day but I hope we just get our girl in the end...

D

Deleted member

You mean the audience that Nintendo is TRYING to appeal? They bought Monoloift Soft for a reason and Namco allowed cameos for Kosmos and T-ellos for Xenoblade 2. Nintendo definitely doesn’t want to make their growing audience feel screwed over in a big title like Smash.
Now why prioritize the Xenoblade series when they already received content in the form of more music and spirits? Instead, they can focus on another series like Tales Of, Resident Evil, and Fire Emblem.

Capcom is making attempts to port series like Resident Evil and Devil May Cry onto the Switch itself. Advertising one of them could improve business relations and increase revenue for each party. Those two series are beyond successful with their own fanbase Sakurai can advertise to.

Three Houses is potentially the most successful FE to date Sakurai always adding new spirits with new releases (Daemon X, Tetris 99, Let's Go Pikachu), but not for Three Houses. Missing out on that is a wasted opportunity, especially because Three Houses ended up being incredibly loved compared to FE Fates.

Even looking at Namco, the Tales Of series has made active efforts to be ported onto Nintendo consoles. Abyss was remade for the 3DS and Tales of Vesperia was rereleased for Switch. So why prioritize Xenosaga when Tales Of has a similar marketing story that can be used, especially with the seeming omission of the Lloyd costume?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
For reference, what is the Cat Leak and why is it good?
Cat leak has yet to be disproven. It posits that the first cat leaker and second cat leaker are one and the same. Cat leaker #1 had legit info on Banjo and even revealed his codename before Sabi and Shinobi. Codenames are only revealed when a fighter launches so yes that guy was 100% a developer or someone at Nintendo.

Cat leak #2 is assumed to be the same guy but has holes in it. He said KOS-MOS is dropped as #5 but didn't give any codename for her but also says Reimu and Hayabusa are specifically early in development. Why could it be the same guy? Well, it might not be but a big reason is that the cat picture was only used a very low amount of times and people think it is him. I know right... not a very good thing going for it but keep in mind people with tripcodes on 4chan have been found to be fake as well. The picture means nothing, HOWEVER the amount of times it was used after Banjo buddy guy is somewhat credible. ALSO, Verg only said months after that Hayabusa would be moved to post pass... if you even trust verg that is.

https://arch.b4k.co/v/search/image/gamwHjU9qo7Z-_8IO4CMHA/ ignore all the **** posting before the actual leak though. But you'll recognize what I mean when you compare that Piranha plant's leaker image was used so much to impersonate the actual leaker. Anyway, the cat KOS-MOS one only was posted after the direct which revealed Terry which is interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master

I saw that before. Pretty interesting.

Though I do need to ask: assuming KOS-MOS is Pass Fighter #5 like the leak says and she began development around the same time Hero was finished, she should be in a state where she can be shown off just fine by now, right? I don't care how she's revealed, whether it's just showing off her 3D model like Terry's initial reveal, or having some full-blown gameplay like a lot of the other character reveals, she seems like she's in an optimal reveal time right now outside of TGA.

Let's look at the other challengers: Hero and Banjo were revealed in the same Direct, which was during E3 this year. Hero had a 1 month gap between his reveal and his release, and Banjo had two more months. Terry had a reveal and a sneak peek at his gameplay in September, and had over a 2 month gap between his reveal and sneak peek, and his release. A 2 month gap is reasonable enough, why not reveal KOS-MOS outside of TGA?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cat leak has yet to be disproven. It posits that the first cat leaker and second cat leaker are one and the same. Cat leaker #1 had legit info on Banjo and even revealed his codename before Sabi and Shinobi. Codenames are only revealed when a fighter launches so yes that guy was 100% a developer or someone at Nintendo.

Cat leak #2 is assumed to be the same guy but has holes in it. He said KOS-MOS is dropped as #5 but didn't give any codename for her but also says Reimu and Hayabusa are specifically early in development. Why could it be the same guy? Well, it might not be but a big reason is that the cat picture was only used a very low amount of times and people think it is him. I know right... not a very good thing going for it but keep in mind people with tripcodes on 4chan have been found to be fake as well. The picture means nothing, HOWEVER the amount of times it was used after Banjo buddy guy is somewhat credible. ALSO, Verg only said months after that Hayabusa would be moved to post pass... if you even trust verg that is.

https://arch.b4k.co/v/search/image/gamwHjU9qo7Z-_8IO4CMHA/ ignore all the **** posting before the actual leak though. But you'll recognize what I mean when you compare that Piranha plant's leaker image was used so much to impersonate the actual leaker. Anyway, the cat KOS-MOS one only was posted after the direct which revealed Terry which is interesting to say the least.
That's... interesting. It's 4chan, though, so I wouldn't rely on it, especially when it can be faked easily. Notice how the dude also doesn't reveal when KOS-MOS will be revealed compared to Hero and Banjo where he specifically noted E3. And like you pointed out, the lack of codenames just feel off.

It's something to keep an eye on, though, because copycat parodies only showed up after the dude "leaked" KOS-MOS after Terry got revealed. Add how KOS-MOS wasn't a household name in speculation until... Actually when did KOSMOS surge in discussions?

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Now why prioritize the Xenoblade series when they already received content in the form of more music and spirits? Instead, they can focus on another series like Tales Of, Resident Evil, and Fire Emblem.

Capcom is making attempts to port series like Resident Evil and Devil May Cry onto the Switch itself. Advertising one of them could improve business relations and increase revenue for each party. Those two series are beyond successful with their own fanbase Sakurai can advertise to.

Three Houses is potentially the most successful FE to date Sakurai always adding new spirits with new releases (Daemon X, Tetris 99, Let's Go Pikachu), but not for Three Houses. Missing out on that is a wasted opportunity, especially because Three Houses ended up being incredibly loved compared to FE Fates.

Even looking at Namco, the Tales Of series has made active efforts to be ported onto Nintendo consoles. Abyss was remade for the 3DS and Tales of Vesperia was rereleased for Switch. So why prioritize Xenosaga when Tales Of has a similar marketing story that can be used, especially with the seeming omission of the Lloyd costume?
This stuff here feels more like post fighter’s pass activities. A character like Lloyd is having october trademark leaks and that’s not a good sign when the pass’s pick development was over way before that point. I’m sure he has chances post the pass.

Why withhold Kosmos? I’m sure it’s because they do have big plans for her and aren’t revealing them till later on. Her reappearance alone is shocking and they haven’t done standalone Xenosaga stuff for a long time.

D

Deleted member

Let's look at the other challengers: Hero and Banjo were revealed in the same Direct, which was during E3 this year. Hero had a 1 month gap between his reveal and his release, and Banjo had two more months. Terry had a reveal and a sneak peek at his gameplay in September, and had over a 2 month gap between his reveal and sneak peek, and his release. A 2 month gap is reasonable enough, why not reveal KOS-MOS outside of TGA?
My personal logic is I don't know when else they can reveal a fighter this year other than the VGA. We've already had three general directs in 2019 and the time for a Pokemon direct revealing a Smash fighter is long gone now.

However, they can reveal her February 2020 and maybe that can tie into Xenoblade Chronicles HD promotion. If she's a character in that game, that'd be dope advertising, like how DQ 11 was promoted alongside Hero's reveal. Someone did point out the logo had angel wings and that can potentially tie into Xenosaga somehow. I guess we'll see in a month how this plays out.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
My personal logic is I don't know when else they can reveal a fighter this year other than the VGA. We've already had three general directs in 2019 and the time for a Pokemon direct revealing a Smash fighter is long gone now.

However, they can reveal her February 2020 and maybe that can tie into Xenoblade Chronicles HD promotion. If she's a character in that game, that'd be dope advertising, like how DQ 11 was promoted alongside Hero's reveal. Someone did point out the logo had angel wings and that can potentially tie into Xenosaga somehow. I guess we'll see in a month how this plays out.
That’s exactly why I don’t think resident evil or Tales Of will be in this pass, they already have their ports in. Kosmos is pretty much a set bomb with no known timer.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
That’s exactly why I don’t think resident evil or Tales Of will be in this pass, they already have their ports in. Kosmos is pretty much a set bomb with no known timer.
What new port were Joker, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry promoting when they were put in Smash?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Terry did get his ports promoted and there was new persona 5 spinoff game for Switch. Banjo is the weird exception.
The SNK ports were released months before Terry was revealed and Persona Q2 was released a couple weeks before Joker was revealed. And as you said, Banjo just didn't get anything for Switch. I'm not saying ports are an end-all be-all confirmation. I'm saying it'd be cool if KOSMOS was advertised with Xenoblade 1 HD as the timing aligns.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
The SNK ports were released months before Terry was revealed and Persona Q2 was released a couple weeks before Joker was revealed. And as you said, Banjo just didn't get anything for Switch. I'm not saying ports are an end-all be-all confirmation. I'm saying it'd be cool if KOSMOS was advertised with Xenoblade 1 HD as the timing aligns.
I’m predicting Xenosaga ports. There were speculations on those ports around 2018. Aligning Kosmos’s smash appearance and her games will be a great way to bring attention to her series (because there are growing xeno fans on the switch).

D

Deleted member

I’m predicting Xenosaga ports. There were speculations on those ports around 2018. Aligning Kosmos’s smash appearance and her games will be a great way to bring attention to her series (because there are growing xeno fans on the switch).
Ports of the original would be a big deal, though probably their main focus is on the Xeno1 remake for Switch .

The Reimu thread is speculating that November 21st is a plausible Direct date.

D

Deleted member

That would be pretty good, yeah.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
That would be pretty good, yeah.
As you can see, the Rex conspiracy is mainly about the marketing on the switch. Rex’s game is actually the most popular one in his series, the game that ties in Kosmos and Shulk. I just doubt that it’s actually that popular with the majority of the smash crowd than Pokemon or even the mario plant and I doubt that Nintendo doesn’t want to please that specific crowd within the pass with said Rex costume.

D

Deleted member

It's a pretty neat theory I have to admit. And since we know the mii leak thing is 100% fake at this point.... isn't it funny that insiders won't comment on this?
If it gains a lot of traction, that's when insiders would probably comment on it.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
It's a pretty neat theory I have to admit. And since we know the mii leak thing is 100% fake at this point.... isn't it funny that insiders won't comment on this?
How could I forget this one leak... Did anyone remember the talks of a mecha and a girl? It came from one of the legit leakers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As you can see, the Rex conspiracy is mainly about the marketing on the switch. Rex’s game is actually the most popular one in his series, the game that ties in Kosmos and Shulk. I just doubt that it’s actually that popular with the majority of the smash crowd than Pokemon or even the mario plant and I doubt that Nintendo doesn’t want to please that specific crowd within the pass with said Rex costume.
I never denied Xenoblade Chronicles 2 wasn't popular or marketable. It's clearly doing something right if it keeps making games and Sakurai dedicating a section of November's direct to Rex clearly showed he wanted to include him. My thing is we need way more evidence before we can pin down KOS-MOS for certain. Not just that the fans want her.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
How could I forget this one leak... Did anyone remember the talks of a mecha and a girl? It came from one of the legit leakers.
Huh? I'm pretty sure that was hogwash because of a leaked Overwatch Switch case. Or do you mean Bosatu who claimed the next character is a female with projectiles?

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah...the insiders haven't said anything yet...

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
You can find the bigger version and legible version of what I posted above here! Just found it. https://i.4cdn.org/v/1573947761589.jpg
This has potential. Not concrete evidence, but not impossible either. For what it's worth, nothing has "debunked" any of this, so all of it could be true to a degree.

As for the insider business...

Oh yeah...the insiders haven't said anything yet...
Either:
1. The Insiders are under Cease and Desist and can't comment on the leak. Then again, they've publically mentioned Ryu numerous times but not Reimu or KOS-MOS, which might lead to:
2. The Insiders don't know who these characters are and/or don't care/believe the leak. Though, it's worth mentioning that Sabi herself likes Kosy, so worst case scenario, she hasn't heard anything yet.

D

Deleted member

This has potential. Not concrete evidence, but not impossible either. For what it's worth, nothing has "debunked" any of this, so all of it could be true to a degree.

As for the insider business...

Either:
1. The Insiders are under Cease and Desist and can't comment on the leak. Then again, they've publically mentioned Ryu numerous times but not Reimu or KOS-MOS, which might lead to:
2. The Insiders don't know who these characters are and/or don't care/believe the leak. Though, it's worth mentioning that Sabi herself likes Kosy, so worst case scenario, she hasn't heard anything yet.
Probably #2. Though Sabi has publicly stated her insider will just flat out not tell her who FP 5 is because confidentiality and whatnot. I'd say if you do know who it is, it's probably a very well kept secret until close to release, like Terry. Makes the wait more exciting I'll admit. :laugh:

Plus I'll admit, I don't see this leak is well known. It didn't catch Papagenos' eye, for instance.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I never denied Xenoblade Chronicles 2 wasn't popular or marketable. It's clearly doing something right if it keeps making games and Sakurai dedicating a section of November's direct to Rex clearly showed he wanted to include him. My thing is we need way more evidence before we can pin down KOS-MOS for certain. Not just that the fans want her.
Wait, when was the November direct?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

The "Early in development" part is what makes me question this leak as almost any fake leaker that claims deeper intel like this tries to come off as credible, but their actually not. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE this leak to be real.

D

Deleted member

Either:
I'm also betting on #2, though there's a hunch for #1 to be the point. Most of the FP had been leaked already, so prevention is still Nintendo's way to go. Remember Sabi during the entire SNK leak drama?

The "Early in development" part is what makes me question this leak as almost any fake leaker that claims deeper intel like this tries to come off as credible, but their actually not. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE this leak to be real.
To me, the cat leaker looks to anonymouse to tell. Anyone could have known that dressing up as the cat leaker would instantly get credibility.

Top Bottom