• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Flayl

Smash Hero
I forget who Robert is on Skype but about Bowser VS Toon Link, check out these videos:

Ixis VS Trio
WK VS Quivo

Trio plays really unsafe and the second match is super outdated in general, but there are still some valuable tricks and tactics you can pick up

D

Deleted member 189823

What's happening, forum. o/
I have problems...Top...tier problems...

First of all:

Falco.

Those lasers...urgh. I wonder how Limit faces those Falcos. They just keep halting and shuting down my approaches. What am I supposed to do, just powershield them until time runs out? And the CG...I understand I am supposed to approach after CG percents if I want to avoid it, but do I really have to go to the trouble of getting hit until 50% to go after Falco? I kind of lack the patience for that. And there's not much I can do to avoid them on stages without platforms.

R.O.B

Yeah, I know. Not really a Top tier menace, but still, 40:60. I don't think I have too much trouble against him- I live until 200% and all that. I'd just like tips against this one.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I personally love playing against ROB with Bowser. But i dont really know what to tell you in that MU, really you just gotta stick to the basics. Anything fancy wont work, just stick to your bread and butter and play at mid range. Once you get in, watch for his ftilt, fair, and gyro. His lasers shouldnt be a big deal unless youre trying to approach. Once you get a hit, try and apply pressure and/or juggle him, and try not to let him land.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yes Swei, you have to take 43% before you even think about approaching Falco. A smart Falco will **** you offstage. You have to play super patient in the MU. Remember you're heavy, and Falco has a harder time killing Bowser than vice-versa.

:phone:

D

Deleted member 189823

Please, tell me more- Wait, is there actually more? I am willing to get better, not give up and actually overcome these weakneses presented by my character!

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Be aware that Lucario is deceptively disjointed, so you should treat him like a sword character. Don't overextend yourself with moves that extend your hurtbox, namely FTilt and DTilt. Try to react and punish whiffed moves if you can...that's basically what Bowser's game boils down to in most matches. You'll find yourself punishing a lot of Lucario's aerials (and forward smashes...)

don't airdodge to the ground. please don't. That's asking to get forward smashed. In fact actually if you land near him you probably will get hit anyway--I'd rather take the risk of landing across the stage and having to work against Aura spheres than eating an aura boosted smash attack, personally.

You can beat out his non-fully charged sphere with a jab. He's cake offstage, that's probably where you're going to get the most damage on him..at least that's where I get it. Kill him in a timely fashion because the aura gimmick can become a pain in the *** very easily.

Vex is actually right, you don't "destroy" Lucario with Bowser lmao the matchup is not that good for Bowser. It's definitely one of his better ones in the upper tier in my opinion though. You'll hear something different from every Bowser player, like how I'm a masochist and I like the Falco MU.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Don't get hit by dair.

Bowser's Fortress, Klaw, and upsmash are really handy in this MU. We also have GR>dtilt.

FOR REAL, ask Trela what he thinks of Bowser. Or Pitbull. MUAHAHA.

:phone:

D

Deleted member 189823

I've asked a few times reguarding this, but...

Do most Bowsers keep Tap Jump on? I keep getting conviced that the U-Tilt might actually be worth practicing and getting accostumed to Tap Jump off.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The whole matter of "Tap jump on vs. Tap jump off" is a matter of preference. Certain things are easier to do with it off, and certain things are easier to do with it on. It all depends on your character, what maneuvers you favor, and how you do them.

For Bowser, it's easier for most players to OOS Fortress with tap jump on, since the up input makes for a seamless jump cancel. You can still do OOSF just fine with it off, you just need to get used to doing it differently.

The most-cited advantage of tap jump off for Bowser is the U-Tilt of course. Not all players are used to u-tilting without inputting a jump. If turning off tap jump makes you a better u-tilter AND it doesn't impact your use of OOSF negatively, then go for it. If not, stick with tap jump on.

In conclusion, find the most comfortable setup for you. I prefer JCing with tap jump and I'm used to doing utilts with it on, so I personally keep it on.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
i have tap jump on and i can uptilt fine because I uptilt with the c stick, i mentioned this before.

D

Deleted member 189823

I tried practicing for like 5 minutes with Tap Jump off. Ragequit.

Guys, I'm learning how to U-Tilt with Tap Jump on. :D
Oh man, I'm realizing what I've been missing out on...killing enemies with such a strong attack at moderately decent speed is really neat.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well im used to tap jump off from yoshi, cuz having 5 up bs all of which require you to angle and move the control stick to aim with, and at the same time not wanting to accidentally use your SUPER IMPORTANT double jump during all that is kinda crucial, so even though I CAN keep tap jump on, it was just in case I ever slipped a bit as it would be an easy death with him.

And now Im used to it so I keep it that way.

D

Deleted member 189823

It was rather rethorical.

Reguarding Grab Releases...

- Is a F-Air garanteed out of an air release? Very rarely have I been able to get one out of it...and that's because Bowser doesn't reach in time before they reach the floor or are able to react by spotdodging.

- Are they really that dangerous? In other characters boards, in their respective MU threads against Bowser, they make it seem as Bowser's GRs are really terrifying, some even make them seem inescable.

D

Deleted member 189823

It must be one of those silly individual flaws. Like lately, when I try to SHDL with Fox, I accidentally Up-B.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Instead of double laser you should try to short hop triple laser with fox.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Then press X or Y first for lasers lol. Just cuz you use tap jump doesnt mean you cant use the jump buttons.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
regarding swei's post, you should all learn how to uptilt with tap jump on. it's sooo beneficial for any character you can use, and it's a really easy concept.

D

Deleted member 189823

It was rather rethorical.

Reguarding Grab Releases...

- Is a F-Air garanteed out of an air release? Very rarely have I been able to get one out of it...and that's because Bowser doesn't reach in time before they reach the floor or are able to react by spotdodging.

- Are they really that dangerous? In other characters boards, in their respective MU threads against Bowser, they make it seem as Bowser's GRs are really terrifying, some even make them seem inescable.
Sorry, but I want to get better with GRs. :E

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
FAir is guaranteed on the characters that it's guaranteed on. You should trust the people who put in the research lol. that being said, there are certain characters it doesn't work on, you just have to know who's who and what you can and can't do. I still to this day am guilty of thinking that Marth can be GR->FAir'd. You can see it in a million marth vs bowser videos of me haha

if he actually can be gr-fair'd and im just awful at bowser for missing every single one, then i'll probably mentally shoot myself.

now, for your second question.......
they are dangerous in the sense that if you get grabbed, theoretically you should either be receiving a lot of damage, being put in a really bad position, or dead.

of course the problem is that no bowser is at the level yet where they can completely exploit the grab releases to their whim. we are humans, we aren't perfect and we never will be. anyone can **** up at any given time on any given frame, your timing may be off on one release and not the next and that can mean the difference between getting a kill off of a DTilt or being too slow and getting jabbed by Falco or something.

the threads are right, because all a matchup thread really is is just theorycrafting. you go off of how it seems on paper and with a little bit of experience.

again bowser is one of the characters that requires extreme precision with his grab gimmicks, and combined with the fact that he has a small player-base, it's hard to really gauge how useful and "terrifying" the GR truly is. the only source you can learn from is us, and those who play us (more than a couple of times, too! who the **** can really say anything about bowser by playing me once, for example?)

coming from a long-time bowser player i can certainly say that it is, in some matchups, his source of stock tacking and it shares the top spot of damage racking with side b. (upb doesn't even come close, if the matchup is played right most characters should rarely be touching your shield)

in a couple of matchups, the GR is bowser's saving grace, along with the fact that he has an absurd air grab and a good defense game. for example in the wario mu , which i probably/hopefully don't need to explain for example's sake, he has abc-xyz on us. it's bad, we know it. however, bowser has some very very very disgusting things on him, namely every single thing under the sun that you can think of, along with a (somewhat) impractical pivot grab infinite. of course, the counter-argument is that wario shouldn't be getting grabbed, but that's all on paper and ****. being in the actual match is different (and it still holds true anyway, wario is a pain in the *** to grab sometimes) but that's not the point.

^ that's just a long, indecisive answer that probably makes no sense and probably doesn't help you. read it if you want lol

long story short, Swei, it's hard for you to truly understand whether Bowser's gr gimmicks are truly dangerous because you probably haven't played against an actual Bowser player. You are one of the few, but you can't play against yourself! all you can do is imagine.

even now i don't think i really answered your second question but that's the beauty of it. it's complex, because you could say yes, it is dangerous--look at all the options he has post-grab!, but you can also say no, because of the amount of work you have to put in to get said grab, combined with a number of factors--****ing up the grab, anticipating the wrong release due to pummelling. i can name a dozen of things that have gone wrong when i've tried to grab release someone.

naturally over time you should get better at it. i mean, i did...my reaction time has gotten a loooot better with grab releasing, although it has always been good in general (i did play a much faster paced game *coughUMVC3cough* that did actually help with that somehow, but...)

i personally say yes just because it's common sense :)

D

Deleted member 189823

Well, first of all, on a somewhat on unrelated note...I did read all that. I mean, I am the one looking for the answers after all, and it has been pretty informative. And it makes sense how I can't exploit the GR's full potential alot of the times because I mess it up (I mess it up when they AR).

Reguarding the GR, once again...

Is a D-Tilt garanteed on Falco, or can they just punish our D-Tilt before startup? I've gotten a few D-Tilt kills on Falco before...but maybe that's just me.
I also find that the D-Tilt doesn't reach for the kill alot of the times, so I just make a Jab-D-Tilt setup. :p

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If you read Falco's side b with a jab, its a free dtilt.

/completely random and has nothing to do with what swei said.

Flayl

Smash Hero
DTilt always works if you're not on a slope. Are you holding the control stick all the way down? You're supposed to hold it low enough to DTilt without crouching, that's in the original post of the grab release thread.

Top Bottom