• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kojin's Sonic Tech Lab *taking another look at Speed's Sonic*

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
sonicmaster5 is talking about the naruto movie i think
you're kidding, right? go on youtube and watch it later like a good little pirate.

Seriously, ive seen that movie once. worst naruto movie ever.

okay, I'll be waiting for challengers now. you got my FC, so just call. and make sure you tell your freinds how horrible i am... jk...or AM I?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
you're kidding, right? go on youtube and watch it later like a good little pirate.

Seriously, ive seen that movie once. worst naruto movie ever.
Thank you.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
You're are most welcome, Cam. indeed.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Tenki's lag is the worst outta you guys, so don't worry about it.
mwahahahaha...

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
im not gonna lie, i watched it again tonight, mostly because no one wanted to face me.

If there's any movie that better shows the ability to win with the power of friendship and never-giving-up-ness, then let me know, because you sir, are without steak.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
im not gonna lie, i watched it again tonight, mostly because no one wanted to face me.

If there's any movie that better shows the ability to win with the power of friendship and never-giving-up-ness, then let me know, because you sir, are without steak.
Watch the One Piece movie. The whole series is based on that. (of course so are just about every anime...)

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
bumpity bump.

I realized today when i was watching RATS again (yeah, i know) that his now style used to be my old style, but less agressive edgegaurding. After ASC was found, i focused so much on mastering that and DDP that my my style went away from that and became very ground based. So I've been trying to get that part back. but it brings a funny point.

I've always felt that to be the best at Sonic, or at least a very steak worthy one, you needed to be a jack off all trades kind, but everytime i tried to adapt my game, I lose part of my previous tendancies, even if they were good ones. I am better at evasion, and my grab game is great. My edge game is okay. But noe that I look at it, my game has become so simplified that it almost revolves around my grab game IMO. Look at RATS and my vids, and youll notice I grab a ton more than he does. jeez. it made me shake my head.

I still do believe that A Sonic needs to be great in all areas to be considered a great sonic, but wht do you think? do you easily retain past tendancies or do they fall by the wayside due to your commitment to learning new idea/techs/steak?

DDM

Smash Journeyman
bumpity bump.

I realized today when i was watching RATS again (yeah, i know) that his now style used to be my old style, but less agressive edgegaurding. After ASC was found, i focused so much on mastering that and DDP that my my style went away from that and became very ground based. So I've been trying to get that part back. but it brings a funny point.

I've always felt that to be the best at Sonic, or at least a very steak worthy one, you needed to be a JACK OFF all trades kind, but everytime i tried to adapt my game, I lose part of my previous tendancies, even if they were good ones. I am better at evasion, and my grab game is great. My edge game is okay. But noe that I look at it, my game has become so simplified that it almost revolves around my grab game IMO. Look at RATS and my vids, and youll notice I grab a ton more than he does. jeez. it made me shake my head.

I still do believe that A Sonic needs to be great in all areas to be considered a great sonic, but wht do you think? do you easily retain past tendancies or do they fall by the wayside due to your commitment to learning new idea/techs/steak?

Plenty of those here, it would seem. :chuckle:

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I know what you mean Kojin. Before, I used to use spindash/asc a bit. Now, I'm more simplified and play more like 3000, you know, simple, get good spacing, punish. I hardly use SC/SD now, but yeah, I need to re add that into my game again. =/ I also need people to play IRL... >_< I hardly ever get to play people cuz I'm in a suburb without any smash fans. :(

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
its very very hard to retain your old style when incorporating new things, but i think i do a good job...

but yea, thats one of the most important things to do as a sonic main

watching vids of your self really helps

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I guess I didn't know where to announce this, so here it is, in my own thread. yay.

I finished my little sonic video. It is loading up on youtube as I type this, Actually. I hope you enjoy the music, and most of all the gameplay.

I had to go through about 20 vids, and pick decent clips to show. I had a bunch of FFA matches, so I decided to show that mostly, as a way of watching a Sonic fair against multiple opponents, as well as my usual process when playing as Sonic. As you should be able to see, it is pretty simplified at this point. It used to be very complex, and very movement oriented, even more so then on that.

you should be able to see my usage of DDP, my love of grabs and a few things that make up "Kojin Style" Sonic gameplay. there is something near the end of the vid that you may have not seen before too. I'm not gonna tell though, you will have to look at the vid yourself to see it! Oh, the incentives!

Enjoy, and please comment. nicely. that means you too, Boxhead/Tenki/Chuck Norris.... I mean Steak....

Ps: I have more vids on my to do list: I plan to:

1: make a vid that shows more advanced gameplay in a 1v1 setting (hopefully I can get some when I'm really cracked out; online is not a good represntation for me, tenki. I'm not used to it at all...)

2: A vid that puts a heavy emphasis on the speed, evasion, and manuverablity of Sonic, very defensive oriented.

take care. its at 86% now.

PS again: I just realized I'm not on Boxob's Cool list. I am appauled and sad. :(
also, should I post the link here or make another thread?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Hey good job, there's some great stuff in there! I really liked your use of the spring at 3:16... also your style is quite sporadic, lots of empty short hops, good pressuring/mindgames.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You used Sonic Zero G music, it's already made of win.

Puffball must add this to his video compendium!

Tenki

Smash Hero
Tenki said:
Variation: Opponent is recovering from high/diagonally above, in front of, and somewhat far from you
[Spring bounce] > [rising ASC] > Aerial choice
SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE!? As many of you know, ASC has a freakish amount of hitstun and vertical knockback. This CAN kill if you hit directly, but if not, you can always quickly cancel the ASC into a D-air if he's below you, U-air if he's above you, or whatever you can think of at the moment! (fly under> dj cancel > B-air?!)
This can also be delayed to hit opponents slightly under you as an alternative to side-B.
I realized that I never posted this on SWF lol. Buuuut you also go on AiB, so hah. I never got to finish the threads though... haha

BT and I were supposed to tag-team this.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=182529

aaand if anyone's interested, here's the AiB thread.
http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=21782

rofllll that was around the time I did the triple-aerial spring combo and was like ogmomgomg I S-CANCELLED!

but

I think it was around the same time IDC was discovered so it kind of fell behind lol.

ooobviously any new tech with Sonic has already been tried by me, so it's plagiarism forevurrrr

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Great stuff Jay. I like to see that I'm not the only one NOT going all "conservative" with Sonic. You know where it's at with the pivot cancels. If you remember I made a thread back in early October to discuss specific matchups against other players. Instead of reviving that I wanted to know if you were cool with me throwing some vids in here for everyone to discuss. Sound good?

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Sure. I dont mind. It'll make it easier to keep the thread alive too. Mwahahaha... I also have at least 7 other vids on youtube, if you need reference on me... just type "Kojin Sonic" in the search...

About Pivot cancel: I am a true believe in that, to the point where I practiced nothing but this for about half a month when it was discovered. That was when my style began to change to a conservative, ground style. I'm telling you guys, learn that ****. you'll see how much easier it is to bait and grab punish someone.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
ooobviously any new tech with Sonic has already been tried by me, so it's plagiarism forevurrrr
you *******. the name is mine though... You need to tell me right now if you have anytech that I thought I found and posted here first, that you apparently had forevurrr. I will always have the Kojin Combo, at least... :(

PS: just read those threads tenki. seems awesome. I'll work on them after class today. that sounds really cool. Aaand I barely ever go on Aib! You can't hold that against me!!
Reverse Ha.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
you *******. the name is mine though... You need to tell me right now if you have anytech that I thought I found and posted here first, that you apparently had forevurrr. I will always have the Kojin Combo, at least... :(

PS: just read those threads tenki. seems awesome. I'll work on them after class today. that sounds really cool. Aaand I barely ever go on Aib! You can't hold that against me!!
Reverse Ha.
Why bother calling it a spring shot anyways though? It's not like it's anything new or fresh.

It's just a spinshot from a spring.

In hindsight, Spring Shot sounds pretty cool...
lol, Spring Shot -> Spin Shot -> Spring?

Applicable in only the most ******** of situations, but it's be really cool and flashy to see.

Tenki

Smash Hero
BT once talked about his 'aerial rave' attack.

Basically, grounded spring > side-B on a high opponent > U-air > spring U-air for the finish

Tenki

Smash Hero
sounds good. have you tried it?

Im gonna work on the Spring Canceling thing you mentioned there too.
I've had it done to me lol.

As for replicating it, I can never remember how he usually gets it set up.

Two things:

- "Sonic shuttle loop" doesn't require you to shield cancel your landing.

- for the spring > ASC thing, if you want to do a rising ASC, you have to start it as soon as you bounce and release it as soon possible, otherwise it just won't... rise lol.

on a side note:
Side-B and HA out of spring both stop your rising momentum. Side-B only stops the rising momentum upon release, and HA stops it any time.

Tenki

Smash Hero
i thought i read that if you spposedly second jumped right after spring, that also stopped upward momentum?
It does. I was only mentioning specials though. ASC's release only affects horizontal momentum, HA stops it all (unless you're being knocked back), and side-B's charge stops horizontal momentum-- release resets it all. And spring is... spring.

Top Bottom