• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kojima plays Smash Bros. Brawl, says game feels very complete

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
This following is copied from GoNintendo.com

The latest volume of the Hideo Kojima’s podcast has been translated. While we have already heard about the Snake Vs. Zombie event, we didn’t hear that Masahiro Sakurai was also at the event. Mr. Sakurai is the director and game designer for Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Sakurai and Kojima talked about Brawl, and apparently the two have been playing the game together. Kojima makes a few comments about Brawl in general saying that the game feels very complete, it is a lot of fun, and if Nintendo released it now it would probably sell millions of copies.

We also find out that during their matches, Sakurai played as Mario and Kojima played as Snake. Kojima jokes about how he couldn’t bring himself to beat up Mario out of respect for the character. I guess if I ever play Kojima I know who to be!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152853

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I really hope this means we'll be seeing this soon.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
Very interesting news. Especiall with what Kojima has to say about the completion of the game. Maybe Brawl will make an end of the year release after all?

Black/Light

Smash Master
Good news, was about to make a thread on this when I first heard it.

It should feel "complete" after being in development for. . . what, 2 years now? We may get it earlyer than alot of the "realistic" people here think.

(Really, if a big shot like Kojima thinks it feels "very complete" and that it could sell millions at this stage of development if released now than it can't be TOO fare from completion. . . like, in the final stages IMO (touch up time/ new modes/ w/e else Sakurai adds that we don't know of) )

Infil

Smash Journeyman
This is cool news. I read about it on Kotaku and came here to post.

Keep in mind Kojima's opinion is that of an outsider, one who has no idea on how the game is being developed. He's just played it with Sakurai and admits that the game is coming along nicely. I think he means the "release it now and sell millions" comment in jest, meaning "even your unfinished game would be more fun than most games out there".

If this game comes out before the end of the year, I'll still be incredibly surprised. Very happy, but also very surprised.

(For the record, Brawl started development in October 2005, so it hasn't been two years yet. Having some development experience myself, and a knowledge of Nintendo's history, I can assure you a game like this will need more than two years of development time.)

EDIT - Don't get me wrong, this is still cool news. It means they're coming along smoothly, haven't run into any big hurdles (or so it seems), and the game might not need to undergo typical Nintendo delays. They seem satisfied enough, engine wise, to show an alpha version to someone not in the company. But I still think this game is a Christmas 2007 release at absolute best.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Well, this is weird. Saying that it feels complete now already. Because, how long are they developing now? A year or so? And how long did the previous games take? I think you know what I mean.

I think it's far from done. The game is 'fun' but by far not complete I think. If it is true what Kojima says, than that would mean we should be able to get it soon. And I'm not gonna see that happen. I think that the game will be released before the end of the year though, but it'll still take a lot more time to complete it.

And think about this. If it really is that complete already, why do we know so little about the game?

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
It's nice to hear something about this game. I mean, at least we know Sakurai is still alive.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I bet this is just one of those situations where Kojima is just pulling our leg. . .not intentionally, of course, but there's probably a certain level of exaggeration when he's saying that "the game feels complete to him." Considering the little amount of time they've had to develop, I can't see how Brawl would be even remotely close to finished.

Although, to be honest, much of the programming/animation can be lifted from Melee, and the production team has all the original code. And from the previews/screenshots that we've seen, it certainly LOOKS finished. So who knows, maybe Kojima-san is being serious.

But yeah, if I was a betting man, I'd bet that Brawl would come out in December of this year. . .and that's being optimistic.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I heard Galaxy is coming out around October-December, and I hear Brawl coming out December. Of course, I don't believe either date. Galaxy is more probable since that was in development longer and it can't be as complicated as MP3 or SSBB.

Looks like we are in for a long wait.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I'm counting on E3 to reveal a lot more about the game. This coming E3 will probably expose some more characters and stages and just more information in general to keep people on their toes.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Reggie said that Metroid Prime 3 was very complete close to the Wii's launch and it's still not out.

Maybe this means playable demos at E3?
Hammina hammina hammina hammina......

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
"Keep in mind Kojima's opinion is that of an outsider, one who has no idea on how the game is being developed. He's just played it with Sakurai and admits that the game is coming along nicely. I think he means the "release it now and sell millions" comment in jest, meaning "even your unfinished game would be more fun than most games out there"."

Thats actually very close to what he probably meant. All Kojima probably wanted to do is simply complement Sakurai. Keep in mind that Japanese people are very modest, and their culture is very different from ours.

While this quote is being jumped on and ravaged by starving brawl fans worldwide, I'm sorry to say that in translation, it probably means nothing more than if he said "It was fun."

Sorry to spoil the news :/

Toomai

Smash Ace
Reggie said that Metroid Prime 3 was very complete close to the Wii's launch and it's still not out.
A very good point. But Reggie isn't a developer, so he may not have heard the complete story...unlikely, but possible. Having Sakurai in this story makes it a lot more credible.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
WHY WONT THEY TELL US IF THERES ****ING WAVEDASHING OR NOT?!?!??! ''the game feels complete'' What the heck is that? No **** it feels complete its been in progress for some time.

OMG, GAMES GET COMPLETED.

What a vague and stupid comment to make. Wavedashing or not? Tell me. I want to know whether or not to buy this game :mad:

and im not talking about Kojima, I dont care about him. Im talking about Sakurai, he should tell us.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Roflmaopimp at above post.

I agree with what Samurai said. It seems more logic that this is just a figure of speech. We are probally taking it too literally. I still think it's too unlikely for Brawl to be finished so soon.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
For sure, smashfans are just deperate to hear any news of Brawl. But why are they keeping us in the dark about WDing is what I wonder, maybe to avoid people like myself and likeminded people boycotting the game and being forced to buy it to check out whether or not it has WDing.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
This had go to be the most interesting news in a LONG time.
With Kojima's complements, Brawl development seems to be going well. I am near posotive that their will be more Brawl info at E3, but until then, things will probably be slow. And, yah, just because the game "would sell millions of copies if it was released now" is in no way an indication of earlier release, just compliments. In my mind, Brawl probably won't reach shelves until Q1 2008

Croco

Smash Lord
WHY WONT THEY TELL US IF THERES ****ING WAVEDASHING OR NOT?!?!??! ''the game feels complete'' What the heck is that? No **** it feels complete its been in progress for some time.

What a vague and stupid comment to make. Wavedashing or not? Tell me. I want to know whether or not to buy this game :mad:

and im not talking about Kojima, I dont care about him. Im talking about Sakurai, he should tell us.
Is it even called wavedashing in Japan? Do the Japanese even wavedash or do they even have a word for it?
So you won't be getting an answer until there is a demo or it is playable. So there is no point worrying about.

Rakuen

Smash Apprentice
And think about this. If it really is that complete already, why do we know so little about the game?
Because Nintendo is the undisputed Master of Hype.

Dylan_Tnga said:
For sure, smashfans are just deperate to hear any news of Brawl. But why are they keeping us in the dark about WDing is what I wonder, maybe to avoid people like myself and likeminded people boycotting the game and being forced to buy it to check out whether or not it has WDing.
Wow, what a mature opinion. Really, you wouldn't even buy the game if wavedashing wasn't in it? You're predicting the gameplay before it's even available to the public. For all we know, there's some new technique that puts wavedashing completely to shame.

Plomid

Smash Ace
im kinda thinking if ssbb will be released before the Sonic and mario at the olympics maybe youd have to have a M&S save file to unlock sonic (like they did with that olimar throphy) but i sure hope not
on the other hand it would sell HHHHUGE amount of coppies of the game and thats what nintendo wants.
ohh man i just gave them an idea hope they cant hear me...oh wait im at smash boards Sakurai never comes here*hopes that he answers*

AthrunZala

Smash Journeyman

dont buy the game since wavedashing is something you basically cant take out of the game if there is air dodging and sliding. stop *****ing in this section about how bad wavedashing is. it is a fair technique so shut it.

now about this info. someone has at least played the game which is good. he said he had a good time and that the game was complete. so basically this tells us nothing. if i played the game today i would think it was complete and it was very finished. i would have had a great time and all. so basically this tells us nothing but it is nice to know that people are now at least playing the game. even if it is just kojima and sakurai.

Junaur

Smash Apprentice
Ah, good to hear some new info.

Athrun, I'm quite positive you have your argument against dylan reversed. He's saying he won't buy the game if wavedashing isn't in, not if it is in.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
dont buy the game since wavedashing is something you basically cant take out of the game if there is air dodging and sliding. stop *****ing in this section about how bad wavedashing is. it is a fair technique so shut it.
Um...I'm gonna step in on Dylan's behalf here, man. He's all for wavedashing; you ought to see some of his posts. He ain't *****ing about the tech, he just wants to know whether it's going to be in or not. It's a real driving factor for 'im. Lol.

And it's great to hear some news about the game, even if it is somewhat antagonizing. I mean, hearing Kojima say that about the game is freakin' awesome---but we wanna know more, **** it. Our appetites are whetted.

We want more Brawl.

Smooth Criminal

Edit: Ya beat me to the punch about Dylan, Junuar. Lol.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
dont buy the game since wavedashing is something you basically cant take out of the game if there is air dodging and sliding.
...Rework air dodging to factor in collision with objects, i.e. the ground. No more wavedashing.

It is far from technically impossible to fix :p

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Why would they bother to fix a fix? Wavedashing is supposed to stop more harmful glitches [falling through/getting stuck in the stage anyone?] and as far as I'm concerned it would be more work for them to try to fix it again.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
This makes me feel well, particularly coming from Kojima, whom I consider to be a very respectable and amazing developer. Let's hope Brawl really is the greatest smash game to come... and God, we all hope it's soon.

AthrunZala

Smash Journeyman
ok first sorry if dylan was saying he wanted it in. still though why would you not buy the game if that tech was removed?

second its not as easy as putting in collision with the ground. if you do computer programming at any level you would know that. like red said it is made to stop other glitches. if you air dodge down and away and just stop there is a huge likely hood that your chara will either seriously lag or get stuck. it also would remove sliding from when you get hit from the air to the ground if you di away.

again very sorry to the person i posted about in my first post as i must have misread what you were saying.

Zodiac

Smash Master
If Kojima himself(Thats saying a lot) says the game feels very complete, then we might be seeing the game much sooner than we thought.

Top Bottom