• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kojima plays Smash Bros. Brawl, says game feels very complete

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Thank you very much, Mic. Finally.

As for that IGN link, I'm pretty suspicious that the "end of summer and fall" quote was the reader's own writing, not a quote from Iwata. Especially considering Miyamoto has already put his neck on the line and said we'll be playing Mario in 2007 (which, in corporate speak, means "we're trying very, very hard to have the game ready by December, please don't hate us if we need more time"). Plus, IGN likes to write those little intentional journalistic "slips" for extra readers.

spjd

Smash Apprentice
Thank you very much, Mic. Finally.

As for that IGN link, I'm pretty suspicious that the "end of summer and fall" quote was the reader's own writing, not a quote from Iwata. Especially considering Miyamoto has already put his neck on the line and said we'll be playing Mario in 2007 (which, in corporate speak, means "we're trying very, very hard to have the game ready by December, please don't hate us if we need more time"). Plus, IGN likes to write those little intentional journalistic "slips" for extra readers.
Yeah, they very well might have done that. But still, they delayed it from a realease and set it to be at 2007. Which in my opinion is a pretty wide period of time. I'm sure they had some idea of whether it would be finished in 2007 or not. I'm confident it'll see the dawn of day before the end of this year. (Don't you just love that kind of picturesque language.. :p )

But anyway, I think this is great news!
We now know that atleast it's playable, it features Mario and Snake for real, and Sakurai likes Mario better than Kirby. (Hmm...)

ToyzSoldier

Smash Apprentice
For a franchise as huge as Super Smash Brothers, it can't just "feel" complete. It has to be perfectly spotless, spick and span, polished down to the tiniest and slightest microscopic detail till' everyone sings "its sweet shining Jesus coming down from heaven" once its released. It has to, at the least, be able to compete with or, if not, completely own games like Final Fantasy, Halo, any other flawlessly awesome franchise. But then again I may be over exxagerating. Where would SSB be, if it wasn't for the glitches the developers missed like, l-canceling, wavedashing, etc. What's the next glitch? You can accidently fly indefinately? lol
Great news anyway, I still want Nintendo to take as much as they need with this. Make it as perfect as possible.

Adi

Smash Lord
Even if the "end of the summer/fall" quote is straight from Iwata don't get your hopes high. Remember what they did with Twilight Princess.

squaminator

Smash Ace
For a franchise as huge as Super Smash Brothers, it can't just "feel" complete. It has to be perfectly spotless, spick and span, polished down to the tiniest and slightest microscopic detail till' everyone sings "its sweet shining Jesus coming down from heaven" once its released. It has to, at the least, be able to compete with or, if not, completely own games like Final Fantasy, Halo, any other flawlessly awesome franchise. But then again I may be over exxagerating. Where would SSB be, if it wasn't for the glitches the developers missed like, l-canceling, wavedashing, etc. What's the next glitch? You can accidently fly indefinately? lol
Great news anyway, I still want Nintendo to take as much as they need with this. Make it as perfect as possible.
lcancelling isn't a glitch, niether is DI, wavedashing shine cancelling, ledgehopping, ledge guarding, ledge hogging, fast falling, or any of the other things we do. We just exploit the games mechanics so far that people can't keep up.

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, those "glitches" is what makes the SSB series as awesome as it is. That's a whole different subject, this discussion is held a lot everywhere I go, but it wouldn't be SSBM without wavedashing and whatnot.

On a side note, the "complete" feel of the game and the prediction of a summer/fall release is a strong lead to a 2007 release, you never know, though. The complete thing, however, I don't think someone would play a game and rant about how horrible and boring it was to the person, I know it would happen but part of it could be politeness. As long as it comes out, it's good, fun, whatever, I can wait...just not too long. The evidence looks nice for the release date, things happen. That's kind of a given, though, so excuse the obviousness of that statement.

brdy_

Smash Lord

Neither of those things are glitches, the developers put them in the game. o_O

The Director

Smash Lord
Once again, I'm straying from the whole wavedashing argument here...Dylan there's plenty more threads for you to ruin.

Anyway:

so basically, (as previously assumed) they're just keeping this game under such tight wraps that it already broke the seams that it was previously bulging at?
In these past months that have made up the gap of no Smash news has seen a big jump in the development of Brawl.

When you think about it, we may be walking right into a Brawl media parade. I mean, it's been a year and all we've gotten were 2 trailers and some screens...now that the game is more 'complete' we should be seeing more videos, screens, levels, items...media blowout!

And I miss E3 in May. :( It was always a staple for the month of May for me. It would always be that one week where all gaming had a field day.

Rash

Smash Ace
Yes, this kind of positive stuff always sounds good. Though honestly, I'm tired of all this "talk." It's about time we finally started seeing more of what they have in store, rather than hearing about it all the time.

I'm not trying to be greedy or anything, but some more trailers, screenshots, or character reveals would be very appreciated.

The Director

Smash Lord
Yes, this kind of positive stuff always sounds good. Though honestly, I'm tired of all this "talk." It's about time we finally started seeing more of what they have in store, rather than hearing about it all the time.
Amen.

I think just adding some new screen shots would work for me. Possibly some with new levels in them?

spjd

Smash Apprentice
In these past months that have made up the gap of no Smash news has seen a big jump in the development of Brawl.

When you think about it, we may be walking right into a Brawl media parade. I mean, it's been a year and all we've gotten were 2 trailers and some screens...now that the game is more 'complete' we should be seeing more videos, screens, levels, items...media blowout!
Yeah, for what we know, all we've seen in the trailers so far might even look totally different now.

The Bino

Smash Lord
And I miss E3 in May. :( It was always a staple for the month of May for me. It would always be that one week where all gaming had a field day.
July is when E3 will happen so it's still gonna happen, just be patient now and wait for the NEW Trailer coming and NEW Character being revealed as it has been stated

Edit : My fault wrong month, there fixed

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
I can't wait for E3 in July it's like a second 4th of july for me. New trailer + New stuff for brawl= equals awsome.

Tera253

Smash Ace
Here's the scoop:
Tera bet that when Kojima said the game was complete, that the vs. mode sector was for the most part completed. Maybe the "robust 1-P mode' (stated somewhere) is still in 'da works'.
~Tera253~

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Here's the scoop:
Tera bet that when Kojima said the game was complete, that the vs. mode sector was for the most part completed. Maybe the "robust 1-P mode' (stated somewhere) is still in 'da works'.
~Tera253~
That's complete speculation.

The Director

Smash Lord
In reality, we're only waiting 2 more months for E3...not really that much in the long run, but for my entire life I was always used to looking forward to it in May!

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
July is when E3 will happen so it's still gonna happen, just be patient now and wait for the NEW Trailer coming and NEW Character being revealed as it has been stated

Edit : My fault wrong month, there fixed
Hopefully, they'll reveal MORE characters since Brawl will most likely come out this year.

ssbmaster2007

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why so many have so much doubt of it being released this year, it said at the end of the 2nd trailer "Coming 2007", and the game has been in development for well over a year, so stop worrying that it isn't going to be released this year...

Since the game is at least fairly far into development, it's all the more likely that we should at least get some more info of the game itself pretty soon, so it's almost guaranteed there should be something really good at E3 July 11th-13th.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
They could always delay the game, it's never too late for a delay. *looks at Duke Nukem* [which has been in delay for 10 years I might add]

squaminator

Smash Ace
They could always delay the game, it's never too late for a delay. *looks at Duke Nukem* [which has been in delay for 10 years I might add]
its my opinion that duke nukem was never in development to begin with.

Wii is important. This is a first party game. They will have mario and/or ssbb for winter. The consequence may be a loss in confidence that nintendo will be able to keep up with the software demand.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Another factor people might not recognize is exactly how much work goes into releasing: screenshots, trailers, and playable demos (for trade shows). When you unveil a new character or release a new trailer, you have to stop developing the game to do those things. One of the major complaints with E3 is that development gets pushed back by a few months because making a playable demo out of an unfinished product takes months to do!

The less information we get, in reality, the faster Brawl gets made. If you look at it like that, it's not so bad.

And another thing: they don't really "owe" us anything. Games have been in development for longer than Brawl and have never even been shown to the public! Brawl has character, music, and level info, two trailers, and 50 or so screenshots. I'd actually say they've shown us more of Brawl than the average game after only a year in development. It's just that Smash is such a big franchise, anything short of new media every month seems like a drought. It's not the reality of the business.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Hmmm... it certainly sounds like good news. I mean if Kojima says it feels complete then I'd certainly like to believe it's close. But let's try to be optimistic without forgetting a few things. Kojima was playing as Snake, his own character... maybe he was commenting on how complete Snake feels. Or, as said before, he might just be saying that while it isn't complete, it would still sell millions of copies as it is.

If it DOES mean that we'll be seeing Smash soon, then that is fine by me. If not, well, we've been waiting for months, I guess a couple more aren't going to kill us.

D

Deleted member

This same exact topic was posted at IGN. No new information. Just seems like a friend praising another friend's work to me.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Another factor people might not recognize is exactly how much work goes into releasing: screenshots, trailers, and playable demos (for trade shows). When you unveil a new character or release a new trailer, you have to stop developing the game to do those things. One of the major complaints with E3 is that development gets pushed back by a few months because making a playable demo out of an unfinished product takes months to do!

The less information we get, in reality, the faster Brawl gets made. If you look at it like that, it's not so bad.
Since Kojima & Skaurai have played a match, there's already a playable demo in existence.

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
ill be happy just watching that demo until the game is released

but if i can get it , ill be <3 happy

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
It would be great if there'll be a playable demo at e3 but then again. Only press-members are allowed to go inside. 'Cause of the costs of last year.
Because the press clearly can't play demos and give their impressions on them.

Top Bottom