• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kiryu Kazuma: The Dragon Of Dojima

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I made a cool classic mode for Kiryu, his classic mode is called “Like a Dragon.” Here is who he is fighting. 1st is Wolf, a reference to Majima, 2nd is two Incineroars, a reference where Kiryu fought the two tigers, 3rd is Falco, a reference to Akiyama, 4th is Hero, a reference to Ichiban, 5th is Ken, a reference to Nishiki, and 6th is Ganondorf, a reference to Ryuji Goda. His classic mode boss is Rathalos and the song that is going to be played is “Two Dragons” from Yakuza 0. What y’all think?
Wish I would’ve thought of your classic mode idea when I made this mock up, I just had Kiryu fight Dragon-like opponents for mine lol.
73589DBF-7F60-42CF-9426-6ABF04A6D586.jpeg

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
You know it just came up to me that a Kamurocho stage with the Majima Everywhere system implemented would be hilarious as hell. Imagine playing FFA when suddenly Majima pops up out of a trash can and beats the **** out of everyone.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
started playing yakuza 0 recently and love it. Would definitely want Kiryu in.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Picture this, Baka Mitai Remix done by Yoko Shimomura

Now that's what I'm talking about!

If Kiryu got in I'd hope for a whole bunch of tracks, though realistically I see them going for about 12. But I know I want the Kiwami battle theme, Kuze's battle theme from 0, and a karaoke medley remix.

Last edited:

Coconattsu

Smash Cadet
Showing my support, Kiryu is one of my four most wanted characters. Would love to see him in with the stance changing from Yakuza 0/Yakuza Kiwami

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Kiryu Heats up the fight!

Gimmick: Heat, the more damage you do your heat meter charges when you have max heat you your certain attacks change and all attacks have extra knockback and damage. Damage decreases your heat

Statistics:

Walking Speed: 0.76

Running Speed: 1.76

Weight: 103

Fall speed: 1.95

Basic Attacks (all of Kiryu's basic attacks use the Dragon of Dojima fighting style)

Jab: 3 Punches and 2 kicks like his basic dragon style combo
With heat a 3rd backflip kick is added

Side tilt: A kick forward

Up tilt: an uppercut

Down tilt: A crouching kick

Dash Attack: A Drop Kick that has less lag if you get a direct hit

Side Smash: A Charged Punch With heat Kiryu claps is hands infront of him

Up Smash: A charged uppercut

Down Smash: A 360 ground kick (falcons)

Neutral air: Kiryu Kicks Forward with one leg and punches backwards

Forward Air: A Flip forwards and kick down (Essence of Mad Dog Whirl)

Back Air: A kick backwards

Up Air: A mid air upper cut

Down Air: Kiryu Stomps down

Specials

Neutral: Kiryu Grabs either a bike, Trash can or Baseball bat that acts like a regular item

Side: Kiryu Charges up a powerful tackle that does alot of knockback (Beast style charge move)

Down: Tiger drop, A counter that does insane damage and knockback but has a lot of lag

Up: 2 kicks upward and one kick downwards that spikes (Kiwami 2 Charge Attack)

Final Smash: Majima comes through the stage driving a truck over the opponents

Grabs:

Basic grab: Kiryu's grab animation from 0 onwards

Pummel: Kiryu hits his head on the target

F-throw: Kiryu pushes the target back

B-throw: Kiryu Spins them around and throws them

U-throw: Kiryu holds the opponent throws them upward and punches them

D-throw: Kiryu flips the target upside down jumps and buries the opponent

Animations

Entrance: Kiryu does the animation that plays when entering a fight from Kiwami and Kiwami 2

Up taunt: The Dragon of dojima taunt

Side Taunt: He fixes his shirt

Down Taunt: A takes money out of his jacket and throws it

Victory 1: Money falls from the sky he takes some from the sky and fans himself with it

Victory 2: Haruka holds Kiryus hand as they walk away from the camera

Victory 3: Majima appears behind kiryu and they stance up like they are going to fight

Alts

1: Kiryu's design from Yakuza Kiwami onward

2: Kiryu's design from 0

3: Kiwami with a black jacket and white shirt

4: 0 with a red jacket and brown jacket to represent Nishiki's design from 0

5: Kiryu's outfit from Yakuza 5

6: 0 with a brown jacket and brown and yellow shirt to represent Oda's design

7: Shirtless Kiryu Kiwami

8: Shirtless Kiryu 0

Stage

Kamurocho: it takes place in front of the Kamurocho sign. their is no drop off and you can jump on top of the sign. there are 2 versions of the stage 80's and 2000's
The 80's stage has Makoto, Nishiki, Sagawa, Tachibana and Oda in the background. The 2000's version has Nishiki, Haruka, Date, Ryuji and the Florist in the background. All versions
have random bystanders coming to watch the fight, The 2000's version also has the Millenium tower in the background. The stage gimmick is throughout the battle Majima an appear
from the background randomly as a boss fight, Majima's design changes depending on the what version of the stage you have.

Music:

Victory music: Receive you

Remixes:
Baka Mitai
Receive You
Bubble

Regular music:
Receive You ~Tech Trance~
Victory Road
t u s k
Yakuza 0 English Opening
Pledge of Demon
Start of the end
Before Dawn
Destiny

Classic Mode:

Name: Like a Dragon (Battles against Traditional Fighters all battles are on Kamurocho)

The First: Little Mac

The Second: Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong

The Third: Ryu and Ken

The Fourth: Captain Falcon

The Fifth: Incineroar and Greninja

The Sixth: Army of Mii Brawlers

The Boss: Rathalos

Spirits
A made a post about it earlier

Misc

When Kiryu wins a game the screen goes negative to reference the victory screen
Kiryu's blast animation has bits of yen in it

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I think something like this should be one of Kiryus victory screens, giving us our first character with more than one victory chime

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Would I like to see Kazuma and Yakuza series in Smash? Yes, I would.
But on the other hand I'm not too sure if Smash bros would avoid this option if they want to stick to the family-friendly image. Gangster and mafia series are unused for some certain reason.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But on the other hand I'm not too sure if Smash bros would avoid this option if they want to stick to the family-friendly image. Gangster and mafia series are unused for some certain reason.
We have a character with a realistic gun in the game and Nintendo loves including characters from FE, a franchise with a concerning amount of sexual assault implied and outright stated in various titles, including 3H. Kiryu would be fine

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We already have a mercenary who smokes on breaks, a witch who brutally murders angels in gory detail, and a kid with a gun.

Compared to those, Kiryu is relatively silly enough to fit. Only issue is there's other characters that would take priority first.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
...So wait, Kiryu can’t be in Smash because he is a Yakuza? WOW! But how about a man that experienced wars and fight bipedal nuclear weapons? How about a witch that summons demons from the depths of Hell itself? Those are considered kid friendly? The logic doesn’t make sense. I’m pretty sure they would tone Kiryu down in Smash. Like what they did to Snake and Bayonetta.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
...So wait, Kiryu can’t be in Smash because he is a Yakuza? WOW! But how about a man that experienced wars and fight bipedal nuclear weapons? How about a witch that summons demons from the depths of Hell itself? Those are considered kid friendly? The logic doesn’t make sense. I’m pretty sure they would tone Kiryu down in Smash. Like what they did to Snake and Bayonetta.
We have a character with a realistic gun in the game and Nintendo loves including characters from FE, a franchise with a concerning amount of sexual assault implied and outright stated in various titles, including 3H. Kiryu would be fine
In that case they're classified as fantasy settings, even for Joker/Ren he is just being an afterechool hero. So I don't think any of the current series justify a mafia themed game series for main contents.

I don't mind to be proven wrong in this case, tho. At least, let's see if Nintendo will do a mafia-themed game series for a spirit board event.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In that case they're classified as fantasy settings, even for Joker/Ren he is just being an afterechool hero. So I don't think any of the current series justify a mafia themed game series for main contents.

I don't mind to be proven wrong in this case, tho. At least, let's see if Nintendo will do a mafia-themed game series for a spirit board event.
Considering Yakuza's wacky ass sidequests it might as well be urban fantasy. Especislly as zombies are a real thing in Yakuza

SNEKeater

Smash Master

The next game in the series, according to this source, will be announced September 27th during SEGA's panel of the Tokyo Game Show.

I guess it's either Yakuza 8 or a spin-off. I don't think it's a port or something, they would have clarified, I think.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I know I’ve probably said this before, but Smash remixes of music from the Yakuza series, especially Yakuza 0, would be awesome! I agree that a Baka Mitai remix by Yoko Shimomura would be something else, but what about Smash remixes of Funk Goes On, For Whose Sake, Machine Gun Kiss, Judgement (Shinpan), and more?

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I've had a feeling the past couple of days that we'll see a Mii costume of him. (I've never played any Yakuza games, but I love Sega and realize how important the franchise has become for them.)

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I know I’ve probably said this before, but Smash remixes of music from the Yakuza series, especially Yakuza 0, would be awesome! I agree that a Baka Mitai remix by Yoko Shimomura would be something else, but what about Smash remixes of Funk Goes On, For Whose Sake, Machine Gun Kiss, Judgement (Shinpan), and more?
And I think you guys would agree with me when I say that they should also include this song:

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Sega put out a 2D beat-em-up based on Yakuza for the company's 60th anniversary. It's free, though it's only available for 2 days for no apparent reason.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Sega put out a 2D beat-em-up based on Yakuza for the company's 60th anniversary. It's free, though it's only available for 2 days for no apparent reason.
There's only 3 levels on a loop until you lose all your lives, so it's not like it was an extremely expensive project.

Oddly enough, it has lighting/shadow/reflection effects beyond the Genesis' abilities, yet its sound chip's limitations are emulated, meaning GRAND UPPA! will be interrupted by an enemy's AUGH!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
While it's indeed short it's still very cool to see something like this. Yakuza beat em up in the traditional sense sounds like a pretty interesting idea. I wish they would take this as a base for a bigger "sequel" or something, I think there's potential. But I guess they would stick to Streets of Rage if they want to make 2D beat em up games lol

Though being free for a limited time it's a bit dumb... Maybe they will sell it after the limited time?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Doublepost, I know, but just an idea to give the thread a bit of activity

Which selection of music would you choose for Kiryu, in case he makes it? I was thinking of limiting the selection to 10 songs, which is more or less the average number of songs we got with DLC fighters so far, but I couldn't help myself and I extended the maximum to 15 songs. I find this interesting because I love Yakuza music so I'd be really curious to see what Sakurai would add in the scenario of Kiryu in Smash.

Not including songs from the spin-offs because I haven't played those yet. Also putting the videos on spoiler in order to avoid possible spoilers for those who haven't played all the mainline games:

1. One Eyed Assassin (Yakuza 0)
2. Reign (Yakuza 0)
3. Two Dragons (Yakuza 0)
4. Receive You (Yakuza 1)
5. For Whose Sake (Yakuza Kiwami)
6. A Scattered Moment (Yakuza Kiwami 2)
7. Lyricism Without Tears (Yakuza 3)
8. Fly (Yakuza 3)
9. Speed Star (Yakuza 4)
10. For Faith (Yakuza 4)
11. The Place Where I Used To Be (Yakuza 5)
12. Receive And Slash You (Yakuza 5)
13. The Battle For The Dream (Yakuza 5)
14. Theory of Beauty (Yakuza 6)
15. Body & Soul (Yakuza 6)

Man that was hard. There were some songs I wanted to add but for multiple reasons I discarded.
Also, assuming some songs would get remixes, I guess Receive You, A Scattered Moment and For Faith would be great for that, though I wouldn't mind having the vocal version of For Faith instead of the instrumental edition.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice

Which selection of music would you choose for Kiryu, in case he makes it? I was thinking of limiting the selection to 10 songs, which is more or less the average number of songs we got with DLC fighters so far, but I couldn't help myself and I extended the maximum to 15 songs. I find this interesting because I love Yakuza music so I'd be really curious to see what Sakurai would add in the scenario of Kiryu in Smash.

Not including songs from the spin-offs because I haven't played those yet. Also putting the videos on spoiler in order to avoid possible spoilers for those who haven't played all the mainline games:

2. Reign (Yakuza 0)
8. Fly (Yakuza 3)
9. Speed Star (Yakuza 4)
10. For Faith (Yakuza 4)

Man that was hard. There were some songs I wanted to add but for multiple reasons I discarded.
Also, assuming some songs would get remixes, I guess Receive You, A Scattered Moment and For Faith would be great for that, though I wouldn't mind having the vocal version of For Faith instead of the instrumental edition.
I think the song Two Dragons can play if Kiryu is fighting Rathalos.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

2. Reign (Yakuza 0)
8. Fly (Yakuza 3)
9. Speed Star (Yakuza 4)
10. For Faith (Yakuza 4)

No Funk Goes On? Perish the thought.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think that's mostly a joke, but it does seem to be why we haven't seen Kiryu in a crossover game despite fan demand yet. Big shame, he was really one of my most wanted.

However, this doesn't deconfirm Majima, so I think we know who the Yakuza rep is. For real. Really.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
as sad as this is, the reasoning makes it almost impossible for me to be legitimately upset. it's too funny

also i don't think i've dropped in to show my support yet so uh. yeah

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
It's a shame that could potentially disconfirm Kiryu from fighting games in general, but it's also kind of a funny reason to say they don't want him to join those games (although a bit weird as I recall you could fight a trans woman in Y0 real estate sidequest)
I think that's mostly a joke, but it does seem to be why we haven't seen Kiryu in a crossover game despite fan demand yet. Big shame, he was really one of my most wanted.

However, this doesn't deconfirm Majima, so I think we know who the Yakuza rep is. For real. Really.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Majima is great but I don't know if he's the best option to rep the series. For me, only Kiryu works for that.

I guess he's the closest thing to a mascot the franchise has, being decently recognizable and all, but still.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Not sure if the interview "deconfirm" was actually that or just a joke. Don't give up, I sense he still stands a chance if this does end up being a joke.
If not, and this guy's being dead serious...hopefully Majima can substitute. I still want this franchise to repped in Smash in some way, shape, or form.
Might be hopping onto a sunken ship but I put my support in Kazuma. I have a feeling he can win this uphill battle.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Besides, since when has a secondary third-party character been added before the protagonist? Even Slime ultimately got passed over because :ulthero:'s concept worked out.

That being said, I wouldn't mind Ichiban Kasuga as a doable substitute, since he actually is the main character for his own installment.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Besides, since when has a secondary third-party character been added before the protagonist? Even Slime ultimately got passed over because :ulthero:'s concept worked out.

That being said, I wouldn't mind Ichiban Kasuga as a doable substitute, since he actually is the main character for his own installment.
Ichiban is another option, but he's a risky one. Sure he's the new protag but if you're repping Yakuza, I feel that not going with Kiryu is just a mistake. The dude has been the protag in all Yakuza games until, well, the new one. It's not like the series completely changes the cast with each game, like happens with Persona, for example.

Majima is popular and is kind of the mascot of the series, but he's usually not super important to the overall plot of most of the mainline games. Ichiban is cool and is the new protagonist, but 1 game as the protagonist vs Kiryu, which has been the main character for 7 games (I'm talking mainline)...
And if Ichiban is a serious contender, then I believe Saejima and Akiyama deserve at least to be considered as well, as both were playable characters and protagonists in 2 games.

Maybe Sega would push for Ichiban, but I'm confident that if Sakurai/Nintendo approached them to put Yakuza in Smash, they wouldn't hesitate and they would want Kiryu.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Then again, faithful personality representation tends to be the least of Sak's concerns, seeing how the characters are usually trophies come to life in Smash. Some examples:

• :ultpeach: acts more playful and flirty on average than her usual pure portrayal.
  • :ultfalcon: and :ultroy: act much more hot-blooded than they do in canon.
  • :ultdk:, :ultdiddy: and :ultkrool: sound more animalistic than having regular voices.
  • :ultisabelle: is normally a "pacifist", yet here we are.
  • :ultbanjokazooie:'s ribbing on each other is more friendly than vitriolic here.
  • :ultminmin is cheerier than she's ever been in ARMS.

Overall, characters he's had direct involvement with (e.g. KI crew) are the most likely to have accurate characterization, everyone else is various degrees of fanfic (though :ultsnake: is among the exceptions). He generally focuses more on how faithful their mechanics should be, when in a position to do so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom