• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Tourney Results Thread

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Didn't place. Had a 10man pools and only top3 got out. No johns really, but DMG beat me super solidly and Raz, the peach, beat me 2-0. I'm pretty sure if I had played MVD I would've been 2-0d as Kirby so that's the top3 seeds right there. Or Nike was the third seed and he beat me 2-0 >< and I'm never ever taking Marth to Pictochat again.

The rest I didn't really worry about after I knew I wasn't making it out but I eventually made sure to play everyone in my pool just to see how I'd do and I could easily 2-0 everyone else. I didn't switch to MK for my bad MUs like I could've since I'm a MK main lawl.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I lost to DMGs Wario because apparently Wario can DI after he hits you into whatever the **** he wants.
Wario isn't using "DI" as the attacker - DI is during HitStun by the guy getting hit. I know you were talking about his aerial mobility, but I've seen people complain about using "DI" in that way. Too bad there's not as catchy of a term as DI to use for it.

Wario is one of those match-ups that you can go either Kirby or Meta Knight for (if you play both those characters). I'd guess Kirby is the better choice because everyone knows the Meta Knight match-up like the back of their hand now-a-days, but not so much the Kirby match-up.

PS:
Get those Foxes!

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Thanks for the clarification of terms T1mmy.

Correction: Wario's aerial mobility allowed him to follow up his attacks so well that if he landed one, he'd combo. For every hit he landed, there was an extra hit of damage with his followup, and then I still had to worry about the fart which usually comes while you recover, so I just conserved jumps and avoided it. Utilt still works though.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Silly T1mmy. That implies that if we were to discuss MU-related topics, that we'd discuss it in the open where juss ANYONE could come in and say their two cents. LAWL.

As if.

The Knights of Kirbydom will meet, and we'll lay before you, in the appropriate thread, what we have conversed upon. Metaknight and Lucario will be our discussion topic.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yes, that's the implication already set forth by a "Kirby Match-Up Advice thread".
You don't have to contribute if you don't want to.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Well since you split hairs in the other thread, I suppose I'll return the favor.

Technically that thread was created to be an area where someone can come look up some 'quick hints' at any given MU. If you wanna be 'technical' about it, there's a MK MU export thread for discussing MUs and there's a MU thread where it's linked. If people wanna do 'deeper MU discussion' on MK, the MK MU export thread is the APPROPRIATE area.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
He has a point. I have to say, I've always been against private metagame discussions, thinking everyone should give their input, but looking over some of the more recent posts, I think I've changed my mind...

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Even with the 'recent posts' I haven't changed my mind about hearing the opinions of others nor does that mean I wouldn't rather see a discussion involving everyone giving their input. I'm also not against private discussions about match-ups. To each their own.

But then, this is probably not the thread for such discourse.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
So, wait, did you lose to something other than MK at this tourney?
and: gj on the top placing! :D

Triple R

Smash Lord
So, wait, did you lose to something other than MK at this tourney?
and: gj on the top placing! :D
Nah, the only sets I lost were against Metaknight. Lots of the time I'll lose to Nappy's snake, but I beat him this tourney. So yeah, I only lost to MK. Sin242 tries to play ICs against me, but I've beaten them the last 3 tournies, including a 3 stock in there XD, then he switches to MK.

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Triple R, you go to far too many tournaments. I also noticed the people going to the tourneys you go to has been decreasing... Is the scene dying or something?

Triple R

Smash Lord
Triple R, you go to far too many tournaments. I also noticed the people going to the tourneys you go to has been decreasing... Is the scene dying or something?
Haha! You can never go to too many tournaments!

As far as the scene goes, Minnesota's Brawl scene was only big when Brawl first came out. Other then that Melee has almost always been bigger. Both scenes are kinda burned out right now though. It's just been on a downward slope for the last six months. It will probably be pretty dead through the summer too, but the scene always seems to pick up in the fall when people seemed refreshed again.

Bees!

Smash Ace
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=305242

I went Kirby vs Isaacard and Dakpo. Not much other than that. I will try to go Kirby more in the future as he helps in some bad MUs for ROB and is just awesomely fun. I especially like the snake MU. :)

Brawl:

1. Dakpo :zerosuitsamus:
2. Dekar :diddy:
3. Bees :rob: :kirby2:
4. Bad Karma :dedede::popo::metaknight:
5. Furiousduffman :gw:
5. Isaacard :pikachu2:
7. Light :peach:
7. Arty :snake::metaknight:
9. JT! :rob:
9. Phate :snake:
9. Meno :peach:
9. Dark Shifter :metaknight:
13. Ginko :marth::lucario:
13. Twistr :kirby2:
13. Super King :pit::kirby2:
13. Ethan
17. Seth
17. Andrew W.
17. Alex Defuga :ness2::toonlink:
17. Bryan :pit::wario:
17. Napos :metaknight:
17. Tekkie :wolf:
17. Brian Marken
17. Tetsuya :marth:
25. Casey B.
25. Miles
25. Error :dedede::olimar:
25. Jake
25. Iria :metaknight:
25. Chris Daily

^to the best of my knowledge. dekar will know more about payouts.

edit: i'll do shoutouts later... duke nukem lol

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Huh, I thought I always wrote the "last updated" date next to the thread title everytime I updated it, but the last date wasn't there... Huh.

*writes it anyway*

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'm gonna do a quick update when I have time, and put the total of #1/2/3/4/5/7/9/etc on the first post, as an easy way of seeing how Kirby is (or was) doing (before Kirby mainers started going down).

EDIT: Top 9's good enough for me.

Triple R

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=306380

Brainshock Beta
July 2nd, 2011
Iowa City, IA

25th out of 69

1st Round Winners: Got a Bye.

2nd Round Winners: Played MJG. Super close set. Two stocked his Toon Link first match. Then he two stocked me back with Toon Link. Then it went to last stocks 100%+ against his MetaKnight on Frigate. Just couldn't pull through in the end.

2nd Round Losers: Played Zozefup. Pretty easy set. I know he played MetaKnight against me, but I don't remember if it was in both matches. CPed me to Rainbow Cruise. Got a Uthrow for the last kill on the bottom left part. Gimmicks! ;)

3rd Round Losers: Played Dylan. Pretty sure this was the kid that played Luigi against me. YoshQ has given me quite a bit of practice in this matchup. Pretty easy set. Almost 3 stocked him first match.

4th Round Losers: Played Future. I don't know what happened to Future, but he wasn't playing ICs anymore and he seemed pretty free compared to the last time I played him. I 2 stocked both his Marth and MetaKnight.

5th Round Losers: Played Nappy fellow MN crew mate. Lost to his Snake. Ugh it's so hard playing someone from your own state... They know all your tricks and styles and stuff. Next time!

Other than that I teamed with YoshQ for doubles. It went really well. We got 3rd out of 25 teams, only placing behind Ally and Kain & M2K and Fino. Luigi and Kirby were making people feel bad, good times!

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
2nd Round Winners: Played MJG. Super close set. Two stocked his Toon Link first match. Then he two stocked me back with Toon Link. Then it went to last stocks 100%+ against his MetaKnight on Frigate. Just couldn't pull through in the end.

2nd Round Losers: Played Zozefup. Pretty easy set. I know he played MetaKnight against me, but I don't remember if it was in both matches. CPed me to Rainbow Cruise. Got a Uthrow for the last kill on the bottom left part. Gimmicks! ;)

3rd Round Losers: Played Dylan. Pretty sure this was the kid that played Luigi against me. YoshQ has given me quite a bit of practice in this matchup. Pretty easy set. Almost 3 stocked him first match.

4th Round Losers: Played Future. I don't know what happened to Future, but he wasn't playing ICs anymore and he seemed pretty free compared to the last time I played him. I 2 stocked both his Marth and MetaKnight.

5th Round Losers: Played Nappy fellow MN crew mate. Lost to his Snake. Ugh it's so hard playing someone from your own state... They know all your tricks and styles and stuff. Next time!

Other than that I teamed with YoshQ for doubles. It went really well. We got 3rd out of 25 teams, only placing behind Ally and Kain & M2K and Fino. Luigi and Kirby were making people feel bad, good times!
Oh Lawdy, this is exactly like how it was for me in PR. Lose to a TL/MK/Snake mainer all the time, but not just ANY TL/MK/Snake mainer, but only the ones who I played all the time against. Everytime I tried practicing new stuff, they'd be the ones who experienced it first in friendlies so by when I finally got to the tourney they already thought of something to counter me with, which was pretty uncool. :(

Hopefully once I get my good GCN controllers... And also finish with this unexpected turn of events that occurred which will be happening until July 16th... I'll be able to play some new people!

I'm still waiting for you to play in a US tournament, Kewkky.

And also, I'ma beat your Kirby next time. YOU'LL SEE!

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'm still waiting for you to play in a US tournament, Kewkky.

And also, I'ma beat your Kirby next time. YOU'LL SEE!
I finally did something that I've been waiting for forever to finish, and now I can get my mail, which means it's time to get my GCN controllers and go to tourneys! I still don't have them, but my God I'm tired of doing nothing. I'll just bring one of these CRAP controllers with me for now, just to meet the people and warm up for later I guess.

That's gonna be in a while, man. Looking forward to seeing you beat my kirby! :reverse:

Zozefup

Smash Lord
I usually have no problems with Kirby. I've beaten YBM in a best of five MM, 3-0. He beat me 2-1 in tournament right after though. Triple R's Kirby wrecked me though. Almost 2 stock both games (almost JV). His Kirby does some funky stuff. Im going to get some more games in with you sometime RRR, even if I have to drive to MN lol

Triple R

Smash Lord
I usually have no problems with Kirby. I've beaten YBM in a best of five MM, 3-0. He beat me 2-1 in tournament right after though. Triple R's Kirby wrecked me though. Almost 2 stock both games (almost JV). His Kirby does some funky stuff. Im going to get some more games in with you sometime RRR, even if I have to drive to MN lol
Haha, maybe we'll play again someday. I only get to a couple out of state tournies every year right now.

Can I ask what I did that you thought was funky? Also I'm really really curious what Gambino told you in between matches. You guys must have talked about something, it felt like you guys were out there forever. :p

Zozefup

Smash Lord
You approach in really unconventional ways. I'm used to Kirbys just trying to land bairs, running in and shielding, or rolling into me. I'm not sure what you did to approach, but it was never what I was expecting. Also, when Kirby is in the air, they usually do a falling bair or air dodge. I just shield and punish. But you got me with the falling neutral B three times (if not more).

I hadn't played the Kirby match up in a long time, so Rob was reminding me how to play it. His advice was slow down, make him approach, and pretend your playing against G&W. Use your spacing, stuff his approaches, and DON'T get hit by FSMASH!!! I kept wanting to be aggressive and play it like a MK ditto.

But yeah, you inspired me. I gave up on Kirby because I thought his options were to limited (and he auto loses to MKs who know the match up). But you did a lot of cool stuff that I hadn't thought of.

edit: Triple R RRR

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
MKs who know the MU don't autowin, man. MKs greater than your skill level who know the matchup will beat you though, same as always. Either people always exaggerate that MU, or I was just good at it, I dunno.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
MKs who know the MU don't autowin, man. MKs greater than your skill level who know the matchup will beat you though, same as always. Either people always exaggerate that MU, or I was just good at it, I dunno.
A reason all of us kirby mains use strategies and tactics with smartness.

If MK were to use that mach tornado, I'd use final cutter against him. for defense, I'd use stone.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
So I shall bump this to declare something and ask.

Number 1, I have results, but they are all ****ty so **** you lol.

Number 2, any other Kirbies going to KTAR tomorrow?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So I shall bump this to declare something and ask.

Number 1, I have results, but they are all ****ty so **** you lol.

Number 2, any other Kirbies going to KTAR tomorrow?
I'm not going anywhere, I got work to do. Hohoho!

Top Bottom