• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Matchup Rankings

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
i think links are a pain in the *** because he gots three long ranged projectiles: bomb, arrow, and gale boomerang they spam the hell out of those and its quite annoying especially when they are campy links. with toon link is the same except i find him easier to brawl because hes light weighted so easier ko
lols i think link is one of the easiest matchups for kirby... recovery is super easy to gimp.. can just starshot him under stage and grab ledge for easy kill.. he is easily comboed.. lol i 3 stocked a link while i was playing friendlies at a tourney in about a minute... just quickly wove through his projectiles and chainthrowed him to the edge knocked him off and gimp 3 times really fast

just get around the projectiles thats all there is to it...

basically the link player has to be EXTREMELY skilled at keeping away from you or you will completely **** him.

8-2 kirbys favor?

olimar is actually rather easy for kirby... i just have to say though that against the best olimars you just need to just let them approach you... if you keep approaching olimar he will own you... so let him come to you... also no olimar does not win in the air... only way he wins is maybe his uair against your dair but only if he starts his at the same time due to lag of dair.. also olimar is very easy to gimp you should be able to kill him earlier than he can kill you.. not sure what number i would give this though

and guys i have to say most of kirbys matchups are rather even...

i play a bunch of the better snakes( a lot of good snake players in socal... bad ones too lol but they are easy to beat) and theres a certain playstyle where i win 50% of the time the other ones i win more like 70%

kirby is a really versatile character i dont think he has too horrible of matchups against him... sorta seems similar to wario to me in that way

OP: go look at other character threads and see what they say about kirby too.. i believe i saw in ness forums saying that lucas is better to use against kirby and that it was a pain to beat kirby with ness...

payasofobia

Smash Champion
hmm are you sure this is the correct way of making a match-up?
don't you have to place two people of the same skill level fight each other consistently to actually state the match-ups?

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
hmm are you sure this is the correct way of making a match-up?
don't you have to place two people of the same skill level fight each other consistently to actually state the match-ups?
In a perfect world, yes. But, that's harder said than done, and instead of basing one's opinions on how well you play against a certain character, you have to imagine what that character could do at his highest level and if Kirby could counter that at his highest level.

And, by suggestion, I'm going to spend some time trolling around other forums tonight to see what they think of Kirby. That way we can get the most objective opinions on each match-up.

Current matchups:

Link: 8-2
Toon Link: 4-6
Olimar: 6-4

Still in debate:

Meta Knight?
Game and Watch?

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
In a perfect world, yes. But, that's harder said than done, and instead of basing one's opinions on how well you play against a certain character, you have to imagine what that character could do at his highest level and if Kirby could counter that at his highest level.

And, by suggestion, I'm going to spend some time trolling around other forums tonight to see what they think of Kirby. That way we can get the most objective opinions on each match-up.

Current matchups:

Link: 8-2
Toon Link: 4-6
Olimar: 6-4

Still in debate:

Meta Knight?
Game and Watch?

Toon Link 4-6???

i would say the other way around, i haven't met a Toon Link i cant beat in person

payasofobia

Smash Champion
But then the information will be flawed, you can't just base this in people's opinions, you need concrete proof that character A is better or worse than character B, if you don't. it wil ultimately hinder other players.

Example: kirby players fights ganon mainer, kirby player will take ganon lightly because someone on the internet told him that kirby had a very large advantage over ganon, without taking in consideration the human unpredictability,knowledge and the potential ways the ganon player could use him, ganon ends up winning because kirby didn't know that the ganon player could somehow avoid most attemps at gimping his recovery, and did't know the exact chances he had of winning this match.(this is just an example, and it's not the best example i know)

I know i may be asking for too much, but maybe you, or someone else, can start doing a match-up chart based on facts?
maybe i could help, if you really need extra help...

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
My experiences with Ness:

4-6, 4.5-5.5 if we allow decimals.

Ness has a very impressive air game, projectiles, and a killer Bair.

But Kirby has more power, and a stronger ground game (Odd, to say the least)

And Ness, due to the nature of his recovery, is a very easy kirbycide.

Just get close to Ness, and keep up the pressure, stay aerial for very short amounts of time.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Toon Link 4-6???
Well, I was assuming he would be a little rough with a great projectile game. Care to expand on Kirby's advantages a bit? Not that I doubt your opinion, you are one of the most established Kirby's around.

The Toon Link forum has the matchup 7-3 in favor of TLink, btw. :ohwell:

But then the information will be flawed, you can't just base this in people's opinions, you need concrete proof that character A is better or worse than character B, if you don't. it wil ultimately hinder other players.
You have to use concrete facts, such as priority, weight, kill moves, etc. to back up your opinions. Bah, matchups are such an abstract thing anyway, much like tier lists.

My experiences with Ness: 4-6, 4.5-5.5 if we allow decimals.
In favor of Ness or Kirby?

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Well, I was assuming he would be a little rough with a great projectile game. Care to expand on Kirby's advantages a bit? Not that I doubt your opinion, you are one of the most established Kirby's around.

The Toon Link forum has the matchup 7-3 in favor of TLink, btw. :ohwell:
Toon link: 6-4 kirby favor
I agree with Gonzo here, never played a toon link I couldn't beat... my friend mains a pretty good toon link but can never beat me.. and its not like I know the matchup well either which is unusual cause he knows how I play kirby as he used to play mario against my kirby.. (unusual I can win with him knowing how I play but me not knowing how he plays or ever playing a TL before)

TL has a semi easy to gimp recovery... not as easy as link as he floats more though..

really kirby I feel has an easier time getting around projectiles than most other characters

also when I play TL it feels like I have MORE range than him with kirbys feet than he does with his sword lol.. maybe its just priority?

also it seems like he has a harder time juggling kirby with SH double bairs like he does with most characters due to kirbys size, and kirby also beats him in the air which is where TL's combos are

I also believe kirby can just duck under his grab? not sure but I know ZSS kirby can duck it so I am thinking TL might be the same?

So bottom line: kirby is faster and has more priority than toonlink in most cases, and toonlink has a difficult time comboing kirby, so his projectile game is pretty much all he has(which can be used rather effectively if combined with sword hits every now and then to keep kirby away)

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
Most seem agreeable, but the Toon Link I agree should be 6-4
Ive played many Toon Links, both online and in person (Hes popular at my school) And I have never lost to one 1v1. I feel like I can avoid a lot of thje projectile spam by hopping around, my air game feels superior and I can gimp his recovery pretty easily.
But I wouldnt put him at any more of a disadvantage as TL has quite a few tricks to pull out from what Ive seen, sometimes they can pull him out of a jam.

Also, Im beginning to hate Marth more and more lately coming across really good ones x_x, but 3-7 seems about right.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Okay, clearly I was wrong about Toon Link, lol. Shows my inexperience ;)

Some perceived high tier characters we have briefly touched on:

ROB
King Dedede
Wario
Ice Climbers

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers have nothing on kirby. The air game clearly desyncs nana to your advantage and the grabs are hard to achieve on kirby if he keeps the air. (6-4 kirby's favor)

King dedede Despite his grab combos, is easy to kill when hes off the stage so his size does not help him at all
he's also one of the characters you can dair->footstool if you do it right. And to help you out dair out prioritizes his recovery. The things to watch out for are his waddle dees,that's why you shouldn't try to suck in dedede often because one waddle dee swallowed and its a free fsmash hammer kill. (7-3 kirby's favor)
The only reason why it's 7-3 is because it only takes one grab to get dedede off the stage then it's all about who has the best mind games.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Kirby vs. Dedede:
Dedede has grab combos... but so does Kirby, and his are more reliable. As Dedede is a heavy character, Kirby's low-knockback moves like u-tilt and uair are ridiculously strong combo options. Dedede has range to trump Kirby's but enough of his moves have pre or post lag that Kirby can just play cautiously outside of Dedede's range and just hit him with bairs or fairs when the chance arrives. Hit and run works best once Kirby's low-damage combos are out of the way, and Dedede doesn't really have a good way to deal with it since he can't exactly punish Kirby's low-lag attacks.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
ok G&W is not in G&Ws favor... maybe neutral or slightly in kirbys favor..

people complain about his bair... but i dont ever really have a problem with it... just avoid it... if he starts spamming you can use upb to counter as I am starting to find upb is a pretty good counter against poor aerials

his down air is pretty easy to avoid and punish...
kirby can kill G&W earlier than he can kill kirby because he is lighter it seems... either that or kriby's ko moves are better lol

um yeah G&W just never really feels difficult to me as long as you dont over spam kirbys upb to give him a full bucket and avoid his fsmash... to me G&W just feels relatively predictable since a lot of his attacks come out right in front of him and his kill moves have less range than kirbys

just watch out for his fair as that is the move he will probably be able to kill you with the most often, the main thing with game and watch i find is to stay close but just out of his hit boxes and wait for him to miss an attack and quickly move in and punish

well maybe i havent played good G&Ws though but based just on my experience i would say kirby has an advantage... but to be fair I will go with even since there may be better players

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Double post but I have to say marth and Snake 3-7 for kirby? I really dont feel like its that hard to beat them... and i know the snakes and marths i play are pretty good...

i can say though that you have to change your playstyle somewhat if you want to win so maybe that makes the matchup a bit in their advantage?
I dont know about numbers but here are some things for kirby against these characters

Snake:
dash mortar can be beaten by inhale or shield grab in the middle
if you see snake start to dash towards you start inhaling because the two things he most likely will do are grab or dash mortar which both get eaten by inhale

final cutter blows up all grenades and can be used to counter snake while he is doing something laggy far away (mortar)

easy grab combos watch for when he pulls a grenade and just let it blow up

snake is pretty easy to juggle in the air so consider up throws when you grab as it puts him into an easy position to rack up damage... snake pretty much fails against kirby in the air so you want him up there as much as possible

when he is using his up b constantly knock him out of it with a bair to rack up damage or a hammer if you can pull it off..

if he is going to land near the edge of the stage make sure to grab him and let him fly off the side... sometimes this can give you early kills

i will say again this matchup feels easy just stay off the ground... and bairs can punish snake when he misses a move just be careful of an uptilt(dont stay in the air when he is on the ground and you have high damage)
just play smart against snake... remember where the c4 is lol... oh and stone through mortar is always awsome... or sometimes even stone onto his upb

and you can inhale his cypher to eat it like an item and he will fall with no upb.. great midair gimp

umm marth I will go into some other time lol i think i will wait for someone else to post first XD

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
Florida; I consider myself a decent brawl player.
I would have to say the most annoying match up is ROB. When it comes to patience, ROB truly tests if you have patience. Against good ROBs, our battle never ends until 1 minute is left, or even down to a sudden death sometimes. The reason being: You can't combo ROB, maybe 2 hits at most, and maybe 3 if your opponent makes a poor DI decision. Another thing that sucks is that you can't do ground games against ROB. The only thing you can really pull off is a foward smash when he's ready to be KOed. Shield grabbing is also an issue because of his long range. I'd probably say a 6:4 in ROB's favor just because you can't combo him.

With King DDD, even though you can combo him well, he has really long ranged aerials and his grab is longer than yours. I have fought against a few good DDDs and gimping is not the easiest thing to do either. I believe his back air has just a little bit of a longer range than yours. Also if you're not experienced with DDDs foward air, you will get hit by it. Probably 6:4 in DDD's favor.

Against Wario, I find this match to be pretty even out. Even though you have more priority on your aerials compared to his, he can move way quicker in the air compared to you, this kind of evens out. I'd say more, but I don't fight that many Warios. 5:5

About G&W, even though I don't mind fighting a G&W (because I've had too much experience with them), I still have to say G&W has the advantage here. Simply because he out prioritizes you with a lot of his moves while at the same time, has less lag with his moves compared to yours. Basically against G&W, you have to learn when to attack and when not to attack, don't fall for false openings. For example, if G&W uses his down smash and misses, don't think he's opened for an attack because he's not. Little things like this you have to learn when fighting a G&W. I'd say 7:3 or 6:4 in G&W favor.

I'm sorry TwilightKirby, but I do not see how Kirby has any advantage over Snake. Yes you can combo him, but it's so ridiculous how much faster Snake can kill Kirby. I've died to up tilts in the past at 90%, their first up tilt that stock. Usually when I kill a Snake, they don't die till 130%-140%. Never under 100%, ever. There's a few times where I'll foward smash a Snake at the edge killing them at 105%, but that's pretty situational. I'd say a 7:3 in Snake's favor.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
i know snakes uptilt is good... but think about it, if he is at high percent, you know he is going to use uptilt... so just avoid it... ive played snake so much it just seems natural to me... i just shield grab him out of his uptilt..

and snake can die early by either edgeguarding with a hammer or bair off the side... inhaling his cypher midair kirbycide and you can also spit him under the stage and he will either die or hurt himself a lot trying to get up

snakes aerials are generally easy to get into inhale.. they all are too laggy or just get outprioritized except for his nair and uair but he rarely uses uair and you can see nair comming for the most part

just play lots and lots of snake practice matches... you can start to see how predictable he is... you can tell when he will utilt just avoid it...

i live to really high percents against snake usually because he almost always is only able to hit me with ftilts and jabs.. just learn to predict snake and constantly remember the hitbox for utilt and stay out of it and shield when you are in it at high percents or dodge as he WILL use it

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Out of laziness I took this out of marth forums for their justification of kirby being 4:6 marth advantage:

KIRBY: Marth may out range kirby but your overlooking all the things kirby can do back. Kirby can spike marth easily, kirby can combo marth out of grab at low percents, kirby can kill marth at early-average percents with hammers or well timed bairs or spike, kirby can approach marth with bairs by attacking quickly between marth's spaced attacks. This match up is really not that easy EL.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Ice Climbers have nothing on kirby. The air game clearly desyncs nana to your advantage and the grabs are hard to achieve on kirby if he keeps the air. (6-4 kirby's favor)

King dedede Despite his grab combos, is easy to kill when hes off the stage so his size does not help him at all
he's also one of the characters you can dair->footstool if you do it right. And to help you out dair out prioritizes his recovery. The things to watch out for are his waddle dees,that's why you shouldn't try to suck in dedede often because one waddle dee swallowed and its a free fsmash hammer kill. (7-3 kirby's favor)
The only reason why it's 7-3 is because it only takes one grab to get dedede off the stage then it's all about who has the best mind games.
Here ur wrong, i think Ice Climbers is one of Kirby;s toughest match ups, Kirby can be infinite grabbed just like everyone else, a lot of ice climbers moves have priority and u can't grab IC to start any combos.

At best its even.

Vs DDD

I think its even, even though DDD has Kirby outranged Kirby can gimp DDD to no end also. Patient spacing and good down b mind games can take the battle to the air where Kirby can excel as long as he's underneath.

VS Snake
3:7
I gave up w/ Kirby vs Snake I can't beat a good snake player who utilizes good spacing with his tilts and some campy tactics. Its impossible to get through uptilt every time.

My advice, learn Marth.

Vs ROB
5:5
Although ROB has huge range on Kirby, Kirby needs to do a lot of shield grabs and take advantage of ROB's large size, always always aim for his head or underneath him. Down B and ground hammer on the edge or very effective ways of killing ROB. Not to mention ROB is one of the easiest characters to StarSpike

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Here ur wrong, i think Ice Climbers is one of Kirby;s toughest match ups, Kirby can be infinite grabbed just like everyone else, a lot of ice climbers moves have priority and u can't grab IC to start any combos.

At best its even.
No, at best it's 60-40 for Ice Climbers. They are EXTREMELY hard to beat. Your only approaches can be spacing with B-air to beat their attack, F-air poking, as well as f-tilt poking and the such. IC's have a larger disjointed hitbox than you and will make things a living pain. IC's definitely have an advantage over Kirby. Also the fact that you can't grab them (one of Kirby's strongest points) makes it harder.

Vs DDD

I think its even, even though DDD has Kirby outranged Kirby can gimp DDD to no end also. Patient spacing and good down b mind games can take the battle to the air where Kirby can excel as long as he's underneath.
DDD's Back air > Kirby's sadly. Though Kirby can camp with Up-B depending on stage. He can also do a F-throw U-air double reverse up-tilt and improvise from there. This is of course assuming that they know how to DI.

Vs Snake
3:7
I gave up w/ Kirby vs Snake I can't beat a good snake player who utilizes good spacing with his tilts and some campy tactics. Its impossible to get through uptilt every time.

My advice, learn Marth.
I agree. With this statement. Snake ***** Kirby. Even though Kirby can combo snake in the beginning, he has trouble killing snake unless he gets a lucky F-smash or if they're dumb and use their Up-B off stage lower than the stage instead of above it. I'm learning Dedede just for Snake. He or marth should be on a more even ground with Snake.

Vs ROB
5:5
Although ROB has huge range on Kirby, Kirby needs to do a lot of shield grabs and take advantage of ROB's large size, always always aim for his head or underneath him. Down B and ground hammer on the edge or very effective ways of killing ROB. Not to mention ROB is one of the easiest characters to StarSpike
You know I have trouble against ROBs Gonzo, all of this is harder to do if they're campy and do spotdodge -> d-smash a lot. I consider ROBs around 4-6 or 3-7 for Kirby really. Not just that, but ROB's throws toss our lovable puff ball pretty far. He has a jab that are disjointed hitboxes and clash with Kirby's attacks, but they are further from his body, so ROB has more safe range. Yeah, his head is more of a place to aim, but under him, not so much. A well placed D-air or N-air hurts a lot. On the ground, you can get punished by spot dodge -> D-smash. I don't really think Kirby has much on ROB. Though you are better than me against ROB from what I've seen.

-Rei

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Well there is one big flaw with the ice climbers I noticed by fighting them a lot in tournaments if you time your attacks right nana will almost always get hit especially if he parry blocks. Chaingrabs will not happen often if you do your bair on mid rise then retreat with a second jump. Finally kirby's bair goes through many of the ice climber's approaches and out of the stage the Ice climbers are easy to deal with.

Basically your tactic would be to kill or push back nana after purposefully desyncing them which isn't really that hard.

your main problem is to not get hit... If your good at that I don't see the problem.
I think it's the approach that is different and that's why people have a hard time with the climbers. You should never go for both at the same time and atleast gimp one of them if you go in for the attack.

I haven't had any problems with IC yet though they are popular up here. But I understand there's a difficulty amongst them.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
OK, I'm going to assemble some pro's and con's for that last list of characters, as it seems we're getting a lot of differing opinions.

King Dedede

+DDD has gimpable recovery
+DDD is easily combo'd
+DDD's laggy attacks are easy to punish

-DDD has longer range on aerials
-DDD has longer grab reach

Overall: 6-4

ROB

+ROB is a large size, big target
+Easy starspike

-Hard to combo
-ROB has a stronger ground game
-ROB has longer range

Overall: 4-6

Ice Climbers

+IC's desync'd air game is weak

-IC's grab potential neutralizes Kirby's grab game
-IC's have larger disjointed hitboxes
-IC's have priority advantages

Overall: 4-6

I'm going to try to organize a chart like this after we get solid opinions on each character, it seems like the best way to keep our facts organized to justify our rankings.

SkaManifesto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
loonuhsee
When people think of Kirbys counters they think Marth, Meta and Game n Watch no? Well i dont even think of Game N watch lol, i've never had problems with him, but meta and marth yes. To beat Marth you CAN NOT USE SMASHES! (recklessly that is.) Marth and Kirby's attacks interwine so that if kirby attacks Marth he can be smashed VERY easily, and subsequenctly killed. What you must do is forget everything you think you know about priority, and focus on timing, and playing outside the box. When facing Marth, smashes are a no no, fsmashing a shielded marth is a BIG no no, and tilts are a must, but most of all U tilt is your friend. What im trying to say is this: Priority means jack squat if you know how to play a character, and what not to do. This is the key to beating Marth, believe me i've done it lol. Now for Meta on ther other hand, he is a problem simply because of his speed AND priority, which in turn affects timing,that is where you encounter a problem. When facing meta, your best bet is to take his power and abuse it agianst him, when recoving. But most of all, WATCH OUT FOR HIS B UP. With his floaty characteristic, Kirby is a glutton for punishment for Meta B UP, thats about all i have to say about this :3

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok, so the TC asked about my thoughts on the Marth vs Kirby match-up.

Well let me say this so no one deludes themself.

It's Marth's advantage. It's not even debatable. Marth has more range, and better tools to work with. But I'm not sure what the ratio is. I'm torn between 7/3 and 6/4 Marth's advantage. For monthes I had the match-up listed as 7/3 Marth's advantage and I only recently switched it to 6/4. Mostly because Kirby can kill Marth at fairly low percents and he has good kill moves and good edgeguarding. But Kirby is outclassed in almost every other way. Marth has speed and range and can completely zone Kirby making it very very hard for him to approach Marth. Also Marth can really harass Kirby's recovery and yes he can gimp him. Also Marth can hit Kirby out of his up b as well. Not to mention Kirby is very light and will die at very low percents if he eats a tipper so he has little room for error. And Marth can punish Kirby really well.

Hmmm.

Ok, now after I have said all that I'm gonna go with 7/3. Kirby is a solid character, but Marth simply has the tools to have a solid advantage in this match as long as he zones Kirby really well and abuses his range.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
ROB and Kirby seem pretty even, although ROB probably has a slight edge.

You should probably ask Chozen, I've seen him post about Kirby a few times. He probably has more experience with the matchup than I do.

Demised

Smash Ace
The only character I personally have trouble with is MK. A week ago i would put snake on there to but Kirby has way to many grab combos and can gimp him easily on the edge. If the spacings right, Snake really isnt a problem as long as you dont let the forward tilts annoy you. Cause there going to hit eventually.

Marth i'd put up there just below MK since Kirby has some good air combos on marth with forward airs, bairs, and up airs. But Marths range is annoying. lol

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
MK is tough due to his speed, u need to counter MK's small range with Kirby's grabs. Most of my damage against MK's is from grabs. Grab patiently, Kirby is small so his shields last pretty long. Just keep grabbing, upairing, bairing, up titt, and fsmash, the occasional aerial hammer is a good idea. Oh, i forgot to mention upthrow and DOWN B are great killers

My opinion 5:5

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
ROB and Kirby seem pretty even, although ROB probably has a slight edge.

You should probably ask Chozen, I've seen him post about Kirby a few times. He probably has more experience with the matchup than I do.
Lol chozen and i agree on one thing, ROB has an advantage on Kirby. But once u figure out how ur particular opponent plays. U've got them figured out.

The comment on campy ROB's good shielding and running A to counter down dodge

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
ROB is **** on the subject of Kirby.. to be more realistic it is almost certainly a counter...

i actually am going to acquire some smoothies w/ my fiance' but more on this matchup soon to come...

but basically it all comes down to the fact that kirby can't reliably gimp ROB, and after the first 60ish percent Kirby also has a difficult time killing, and comboing.. whereas ROB can Fair the sh*t and basically negate all of Kirby's jumps/Bair his UpB...

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Rob is easy, just tilt him to no end.
lol no offense but ROB has 3 times the reach with any of his tilts against Kirby, tilts aren't gonna cut it

lets say were talking about an ROB u've never played b4 and its toureny, the match up is

7:3 or 6:4

depends i think on how smart a player u are

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
ROB is **** on the subject of Kirby.. to be more realistic it is almost certainly a counter...

i actually am going to acquire some smoothies w/ my fiance' but more on this matchup soon to come...

but basically it all comes down to the fact that kirby can't reliably gimp ROB, and after the first 60ish percent Kirby also has a difficult time killing, and comboing.. whereas ROB can Fair the sh*t and basically negate all of Kirby's jumps/Bair his UpB...
Thank you, exactly what I was trying to say earlier.

Kirby can barely combo ROB, gimping is pretty hard too due to ROB's range. Playing against ROB on the ground is practically impossible except for forward smashes. You basically have to stay in the air as Kirby to get any chance.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Thanks to the guys that replied to my PMs, your opinions are appreciated. Hopefully we can get some more respected community members in here to discuss their mains vs. Kirby.

Keep checking the OP, as I'm continually updating with our latest rankings and new things here and there, and you might have to correct me every once in a while ;).

Oh, and I'm pretty sure we can let the Snake debate die. Its a disadvantage for Kirby. Really.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
haha but gonzo you won o.o and you werent even juggling him in the air a lot

but i suppose the way i should be thinking about this is how hard it is to learn the matchup, ie going into the match not having a clue how to play a person in addition to advantages and disadvantages after knowing how to play a character.

so then yes i would agree marth and snake are very difficult to learn how to play..

and going by this logic G&W is slightly hard to learn how to play but is totally beatable..

G&W is even id say for sure... his ground game is slightly weaker than kirby and his air game is even with kirby... but he can have a bit of luck with his 9hammer and his bair takes a bit of time to learn how to get around it...

also kirby can generally kill G&W a bit earlier than he can kill kirby

fairly even matchup 5:5

edit: also to add to rob vs kirby this is personally my worst matchup... he seems much more difficult to me than snake or marth...

3:7 to ROB..

the kirby player has to be extremely fast/agressive to attack rob in the air and at the same time not be predictable as rob can nair kirby for total ****, also kirby has to try and avoid being in front of or above rob due to his faster fair and uair...

be aware that rob cant airdodge while he is using his upb... so a stone is actually very useful as the only way rob can counter it is to attack back which totally fails against stone

kirby definitely has to stay in the air while rob is on the ground and aim towards his head and jump if you get blocked or sidestepped so that he cant counterattack or shieldgrab..

rob totally outranges kirby on the ground as well
if you end up close you can jab combo as it will hit him if he side steps.. also SH inhales can help you be less predictable and counter sidesteps

but yes a lot of kirbys normal tactics dont work on rob so definitely in his advantage

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
...kirby can't reliably gimp ROB...
What? Get him in the mid percents and you can starspike him pretty reliably. And to bring up what the BR's char of the week thread said about R.O.B., if you're on the ground and behind him he's wide open. He's probably a 4-6 matchup.

Trying to come up with a way to comvince the matchup dude that:
Kirby >> Link
Kirby >> Fox
Kirby > Falco
Kirby > (or >>) Wolf
Kirby = Toon Link

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
I sent the matchup guy a PM to checkout this thread and make changes accordingly, but I haven't heard back from him.

I think most people believe the Toon Link matchup to be a slight advantage for Kirby as well.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Kirby = TL?

I dont think so, ask any Kirby they like that match up.

That Snake i played in that video was playing for maybe just a week, i couldn't believe it was that close.

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
So back to Metaknight, what's everybody's experience with him?

Basically the way I see it, neither play can gimp the other one. If Kirby attempts to gimp he gets hit by MK's up B. If MK attempts to gimp Kirby, Kirby will usually be too high for MK to do so. So this comes to the question, who is the better fighter on the field?

Kirby should be able to do a guarantee 30% combo, maybe more if the MK your fighting doesn't down air like he's supposed to. Which comes to Kirby's juggling ability. It seems to be harder to juggle MK due to MK's down air, it comes out pretty instantly interrupting your juggling combo. So Kirby's combos are pretty limited against MK. Both players can KO each other at about the same %. A non staled forward smash by Kirby should be able to kill MK at 100%. Same thing goes for MK's down smash, however MK's KO attack barely has any lag compared to Kirby's. MK also has overall less lag on his ground attacks, but not by much.

In the air, your best bet is to back air as Kirby, it's the safest attack he can use. However, if you try to stay in the air too long, MK will start using his up B and his B attacks. Both of these attacks will have priority over your back air.

So I believe in the end the match up is 6:4 in MK's favor. He's just overall a little bit faster than you.

Top Bottom