• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I tried C-stick Attack again the other day, and I figure that if I actually stick with it I might be able to do some cool pivot tilts and the like, plus being able to Cstick aerials without stopping dead in the air would be nice, but I'm just so used to default Cstick. If I ever do change C-stick to attack, I'd also change Y to Special, since I used to do that in Brawl for easy short hop triple lasers with fox (or short hop quadruple lasers with Kirby)

What I really need is a way to ensure that Cstick never makes me do Nairs or other wrong inputs, misinputs happen to me all the time which is why I could never play Melee :( even the simple things like Bair OoS for me often turn into Nairs (and lose me games, which is exactly what happened in that tournament a couple weeks ago)

Also Mewtwo in ELEVEN days!!

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Ive used smash stick, but i know tilt stick is better. I just need to practice tilt stick more. You can do things like Dash into perfect pivot utilt or dtilt and stuff.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
What's everyone's c-stick preference? I use smash stick but I've been seriously considering using tilt stick for the past few months. I feel like smash stick's aerial control sometimes causes me to be short on a b-air. :ohwell:

Also, weird thing is, it seems you can combo b-throw>fastfalled hup cancel>f-tilt at arbitrary low percents on some characters (easier with tilt stick) but they're probably percentage and DI based... It looks cool, though.
The smash stick aerial control issue has been known for a while. So... how often do you use Smash Stick? In fact, you rarely use smash attacks. You might benefit move with Tilt Stick especially since most of your kills come from Bair.

Personally, I have been messing with Attack and it is easier for my aerials and utilts combo. It is really up to you. Smash Stick for instant Smash attacks like Dair into UpSmash or Attack Stick for better aerial attack mobility.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

this is from a comic i made for the Disco Room (smashboards premium section) in like 2010 or something
good times

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I ended up participating in my first tournament today, only 7 people, but it works...

Anyways, I ended up going undefeated and winning the thing! I was shocked and hype about such. ^^

Here is the bracket, and I'm "Patrick." And well, it was nice to see some things out there.

Round 1 was against a Jigglypuff/Capt. Falcon main, and that was OK, just had to shield punish, duck, and make sure they were comfy.

Round 2 was against a Shulk/Mario main, and when I got those Monado Artes, I kept them and used them to their fullest.

Winner's Finals was against a Ness, and he used the retreating F-Air trick, but I just kept patient and used my own F-Air and such to space. This was my favorite match, because I ended up killing him with a F-Air string to beyond recovery, the crowd apparently went nuts.

Grand Finals was against a RosaLuma/Bowser, but I switched to Zero Suit Samus since Kirby v. Bowser is a trash MU. Again, I just played patient and waited for the opportunities to strike, as well as pressuring by striking myself, and overall, I'm happy by the experience.

Sure, this isn't anything noteworthy such as what Triple R, Asdioh, Timmy, or MikeKirby do, but it is a step in the right direction, and I'm loving it.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
@ SapphSabre777 SapphSabre777 That's really awesome! I personally won't switch from Kirby until I have seen that I really can't win(because my other mains are not precisly top tier), but It was a smart move.

On the topic of tournaments, I was planning on organizing one in my area later this month. The smash scene in my local area is practically non existant, aside from the guys that go to the gaming center or my group of friends, so we decided to try and form a smash community here.

Anyway, did anyone have some advice for a first time TO? We have a very limited space, so I'm not sure if we should do a 16 or 24 man bracket.
(I know this should be in the tournament forums, but that thing is even less active than here)

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I think I reached a checkpoint right now. I beat a good diddy in Bo5 with only D3 and Kirby.

Turns out I need lylat more.

Last edited:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
So, that Art of Kirby video made the front page. They're on to us...

Lot's of discrepancies in that video, though.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Figured I'd go to the social threads and share my silhouettes. Enjoy!

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Kirby is not crap without customs, he just doesn't have any notable special tools that make him as much of a threat as other characters.
Though if it were default Kirby against a custom opponent(which how would this ever happen) then yes.
Because Kirby doesn't really have anything that makes him a threat, it's pretty easy to learn the MU since he really relise on punishing and poking, but then again I would imagine people not having a lot of experience with the MU at first, but progress overtime.

I just hope they give Kirby something that can make him...... You know.... Unique? Idk, I can't think of a Better word.
Otherwise he may slowly start getting easier to fight, but maybe we are over exaggerating.
Idk lets just hope ugh school is starting.......

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
So guys, do you think Kirby will get anything outside of the ability to eat Mewtwo and land some supereffective hits?

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
D-throw.
Do 11%/12% or give us a combo.

U-throw.
KO at like at 140% with 0 rage not like past 170%/180%. Ridiculous.

Inhale
The range; just a liiittle more, please! Please? Also, obviously change the copy star trajectory to be uncancelable by a move so early or at least until Kirby's copy animation is over.

Up-B
Why does it not spike after you drop past the initial start up point of this move? Why??

Hammer
Stronger uncharged base knockback? Maybe it's just me but I feel like non charged hammer has less knockback than say an u-smash/f-smash. Also, make Kirby's hitbox on fully charged swing bigger. It looks like it hits from in front to above and behind him. At least maybe add a sourspot or something.

Kirby's punish game is reeeally lacking at high percents.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
You know what id like to see (besides what Mike posted) some are pretty specific so i doubt any will get in ever but...

Fair
Autocancels from short hop like it did in Brawl

Bair
Basically copy and paste Mario's bair onto Kirby, IASA, endlag, and all

Inhale
Faster startup

Dthrow
Less knockback, similar to Monado Damage Dthrow

Uthrow
More knockback

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Why haven't I joined this board yet.

Hi guys, I'm Burgundy, I've been on here a few months. I've been all over the place with mains, but I've settled with Shulk and Kirby, and in the future, Lucas. But I've mostly stuck to the Shulk boards so I thought I'd meet new people. So hello! :kirby:

Also I'm not very good so don't ask for tips from me >.>

ChocolateMagnums

Smash Rookie
NNID
C4ptainPlanetX
3DS FC
1736-1671-8586
Why haven't I joined this board yet.

Hi guys, I'm Burgundy, I've been on here a few months. I've been all over the place with mains, but I've settled with Shulk and Kirby, and in the future, Lucas. But I've mostly stuck to the Shulk boards so I thought I'd meet new people. So hello! :kirby:

Also I'm not very good so don't ask for tips from me >.>
Welcome to the family!
I'm not so good either, but you'd be surprised how much this forum helps with improvements.
I almost dropped Kirby as my main, but then after seeing the people of this forum pull out some amazing info on this character, making some adjustments, I've managed to get better in these terrible match ups of rushdown vs Kirby.
I can now say, Kirby will be my number 1 character to master before any others. xD

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Those things are so good. I want one now...

Also, I have a busy schedule coming up - going to a tournament on Sunday, then another on Friday along with a Crew Battle, then the following Sunday I'll be going to my local! The one where I made that giant fuss about Wave Cutter. And maybe some more if I can find anything else. Will be posting my results and whatnot, so hopefully I do good.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Those things are so good. I want one now...

Also, I have a busy schedule coming up - going to a tournament on Sunday, then another on Friday along with a Crew Battle, then the following Sunday I'll be going to my local! The one where I made that giant fuss about Wave Cutter. And maybe some more if I can find anything else. Will be posting my results and whatnot, so hopefully I do good.
Can I come? Wisconsin sucks

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
giving kirby just a LITTLE more speed to get the punishes he? she? it (yeah that sounds about right) deserves would really change some really avoidable outcomes in sets

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Well Kirby is Kirby. He runs pretty quick given that he's just a ball with no appendages and only feet. If anything, I'm disappointed he still has his Brawl dash attack. If he had a dash attack with more burst range like Yoshi, Meta Knight or Captain Falcon, I wouldn't mind his run speed.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Well Kirby is Kirby. He runs pretty quick given that he's just a ball with no appendages and only feet. If anything, I'm disappointed he still has his Brawl dash attack. If he had a dash attack with more burst range like Yoshi, Meta Knight or Captain Falcon, I wouldn't mind his run speed.
He needs a better air speed, 4th slowest, come on.
But yea give him his ssb nair back :p and Fair

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Good luck man i'll be rooting for you. Also is it just me or do players tend to be more agressive when you steal their powers? I fought a shulk in fg who was really good and once I got it he went from walling me out with nairs and fairs to using speed to out-maneuver me. Does this only happen to me or is it a universal thing for all Kirby's?

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Good luck man! Also is it just me or do players tend to be more agressive when you steal their powers? I fought a shulk in fg who was really good and once I got it he went from walling me out with nairs and fairs to using speed to out-maneuver me. Does this only happen to me or is it a universal thing for all Kirby's?
I find that happening to me as well, im sure its a universal thing especially with powers that take time to "charge" such as your example with Shulk. A good player is gonna try to want to say on you so you dont have time to monado change to whatever. A lot of them dont respect or think that you know how to use the power, so you probably could catch them off guard with monado cancels and stuff. But yeah, people do seem to play more aggro, take advantage of that, dont let them control the match.

In my case, Im usually the one who goes more aggro because I trick them into thinking that Im going to use the power right away because "all Kirby's do that". It mindgames the hell out of them. They assume that when I get Mario's fireballs im gonna sit back and camp when at that time you could run in and SHFF Nair or whatever. Sometimes I never get around to using the ability lol.

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
Good luck man i'll be rooting for you. Also is it just me or do players tend to be more agressive when you steal their powers? I fought a shulk in fg who was really good and once I got it he went from walling me out with nairs and fairs to using speed to out-maneuver me. Does this only happen to me or is it a universal thing for all Kirby's?
when i have shulk's power i use buster and try to get as many jabs in as possible to rack up good amounts of damage i wouldn't use speed as much since it lowers attack and kirby needs all the power he can get! shield are very helpful and i reccommend smash only when you're very confident with reads since kirby+ knockback not a very good situation

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
when i have shulk's power i use buster and try to get as many jabs in as possible to rack up good amounts of damage i wouldn't use speed as much since it lowers attack and kirby needs all the power he can get! shield are very helpful and i reccommend smash only when you're very confident with reads since kirby+ knockback not a very good situation
I was referring to the shulk dude not myself.
Yes, originally this and I love to see the different interpretations that people have on my name. xD
Though, being of chocolate complexion myself also makes it even funnier. lol
I figured he was referring another magnum related product. *Wink* *Wink* *Nudge* *Nudge*

ChocolateMagnums

Smash Rookie
NNID
C4ptainPlanetX
3DS FC
1736-1671-8586
oh does anybody know any good hammer setups?
If you down tilt a missed tech, you could land a quick hammer, Which does a fair amount of knock back.
It forces them into a standing up animation that they can't control.
But I personally use it to pressure people's recovery when I'm at high percent. If you can read their approach, It can be pretty useful.

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
i sometimes do a retreat fake out and if i get chased i use hammer

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Can I come? Wisconsin sucks
I wish. :c

Kirby had a different Dash Attack in every game until Smash 4. The fact that he didn't get a new one saddens me.

Also, out of curiosity, when you trip someone with Down Tilt, can you connect that into Hammer Bash? lolTrainingMode says it's a combo but I have my doubts. I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but not recently. I know Jab Lock -> Down Tilt -> Hammer Flip works.

Last edited:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Chudat's been around. It's just he uses Sheik now. I've seen him play Kirby. It's fairly legit but he won't be playing Kirby in a serious set anytime soon. :ohwell:

Also, I feel Luigi will be the next "Diddy Kong" after the patch. I'm calling it.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Ive always felt like it would either be Luigi, like you said, Pikachu, Ness, or MK would be the next "Diddy Kong". And yes, MK, I somehow feel they'll like give him crazy autocancels and kill combos in the patch... along with a better sword range. Could be wrong tho. Idk how I feel about Mewtwo or Lucas since the only gameplay Ive seen were of them in the trailer, i cant really base anything off of that. Only speculation and theorycraft lol.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Tell you what, if Pacman gets ANY sort of buff, he could become the next Shiek (AKA top tier but not quite as easy as Diddy).

Also I HAD a cool thing to show that you can do with Pacman's power that I found in one of the replays I'm trying to record before this patch hits, but apparently this one didn't record properly, and since I am deleting them as I go along, I may have lost it forever.

Basically Z-drop Galaga ship into rock is either a true shieldbreak combo or a "very difficult to see coming and escape" shieldbreak combo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom