• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Did we? :O that's cool. Were you playing Kirby? Kirbys have been almost nonexistent from what I've seen on FG.
I probably won't even touch FG before the tourney, I'll just practice a bit offline, it'll be nice to be used to playing without lag.
I think I was playing a different character, but switched to Kirby for the ditto. Because Kirby. :4kirby:

I would play FG a lot more if you could use custom moves. Imagine matching up with a new opponent and having no idea which moves they're rocking, then winning with some nifty Upper Cutter combo or Meteor Stone. That would be neat.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I play FG to swallowcide and piss players off to the point where they try to flame bait on my tumblr page.

Because I put my tumblr username in the game.

Edit: Now it's twitter for easier access.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Are there actually online tournaments?
Wisconsin has like nothing so it sucks, I go to Anther's ladder, but the error code does hinder it significantly.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Er, let's try to fix those double posting habits @ Project SonicSpeed Project SonicSpeed .

No infractions, though, because Kirby (also this is a social thread lol)
No problem. The last one was an accident so i posted the actual version again because i couldn't delete the comment. Also here's hoping for an E3 2016 3D Kirby game reveal along with more info on that new nintendo console.

Last edited:

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Good luck to all Kirby's attending tournaments! I'm going to KTAR on Saturday, myself. Unlike Tri Smash 3, I'm well rested and feeling healthy! No Johns this time! =P

Any other Kirby's going to KTAR? I have no experience in the mirror match and would love to see it.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Good luck to all Kirby's attending tournaments! I'm going to KTAR on Saturday, myself. Unlike Tri Smash 3, I'm well rested and feeling healthy! No Johns this time! =P

Any other Kirby's going to KTAR? I have no experience in the mirror match and would love to see it.
Why can't I come? :( oh yea..... because of WISCONSIN HAVING NO TOURNEYS..............
That's so lame and unfair it sucks being young at times.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Well, I had fun at the tourney! Lack of play didn't make me much worse, probably improved me in some ways. I didn't place too well, but I think I played pretty well. No replays were saved, and I guess the streaming laptop isn't working or something. Custom moves were on!
I lost to BloodCross' Fox and IceArrow's KILLAGER.

VILLAGER WITH CUSTOMS OH GOD GUYS I ALWAYS KNEW IT WOULD BE BAD BUT I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO

At least, I didn't know what to do in Game 1, with my 3231 setup, against his Tripping Sapling/Pushy Lloid/Exploding Balloonies. Then Game 2 I took Giant Hammer, in order to see if I could walk over Tripping Sapling with the superarmor. I took his first stock with an Upper Cutter stage spike, and then I was past 100% and he was on his last stock so I figured it was time to test it out. Turns out Kirby walks right over the tripping sapling with the superarmor guys. So I just walked right over the sapling, right through the rockets, and swung it to hit him when he was at or near 0% and had no ledge invincibility. Won the game and the crowd went wild :bee:
Then he counterpicked the Duck Hunt stage and I couldn't do that anymore because Kirby can't jump onto the tree with the hammer lol

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Yep! You can Super Armor through tripping sapling or tripping effect overall. That Villager Player is a cheap player. Nice work with Giant Hammer, bro! You make me proud.

Side Note - If Villagers use that setup and ledgestall/camp. You should take Meteor Stone. This is where this stone shines! 1) Exploding Balloon Trip doesn't go high and moves in a straight line compared to Normal Balloon Trip. 2) Once the Balloons explodes on Villager, he goes into a special falling state and he cannot grab the ledge when flying going up. That means you can attack him with anything you want. 3) There is no invincibility when you regrab the ledge. So you can Meteor Stone on the edge.

Please practice this set and own some lame Villagers.

Last edited:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
It might just be a gimmick but HOLY CRAP that sounds gawdliek, Asdioh! I would have loved to see that! With the rise of custom villager here, I'll definitely try meteor rock or giant hammer out! :laugh:

Placed like 9th at Ktar. I beat Salem, I was SO hype! Lost to Dabuz and Nairo. :ohwell:

Didn't get on stream all day. Oh, well.

Last edited:

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Yep! You can Super Armor through tripping sapling or tripping effect overall. That Villager Player is a cheap player. Nice work with Giant Hammer, bro! You make me proud.

Side Note - If Villagers use that setup and ledgestall/camp. You should take Meteor Stone. This is where this stone shines! 2) Exploding Balloon Trip doesn't go very high and moves in a straight line. 2) Once the Balloons explodes on Villager is goes to a special falling state and he cannot grab the ledge while going up. 3) There is no invincibility when you regrab the ledge. So you can Meteor Stone on the edge.

Please practice this set and own some lame Villagers.
Yeah, Meteor Stone is absurdly powerful. In one of my matches against my friend's Megaman, I found out you can actually meteor stone the stage (near the ledge, but not quite on the ledge) and the hitbox actually goes BELOW the stage. It was glorious

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
So, I went to a tourney also, my city's monthly. Had 53 for singles and 13 teams for doubles. I did really well going solo Kirby, took first in doubles and second in singles! Unfortunately, I'm convinced that the Kirby - Shiek match-up is impossible, especially against players who have a significant amount of practice with Shiek, Kirby is just too slow in his movement options to get any significant advantage. I'll likely have to pick up a secondary to deal with that match-up. :(

Shouts to Kirby's F-smash and Stone, I stole so many wins yesterday with hard reads near the ledge. I won a lot of games I shouldn't have.

Anyways, I posted the stream archive in the video thread, some tips regarding the Shiek match-up would be appreciated. Maybe I won't give up just yet but I'm not feeling too good about it.

:gova:

edit: I don't know if anyone else knew (I didn't) but apparently you can crouch under all 3 hits of Luma's jab.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Nice work, Gova! Actually, we concluded that the Kirby - Sheik matchup is 50:50. You can hear players thoughts about it in the Matchup thread and watch video from our top players in the Video Thread. Then lab it up and go back there with you new found knowledge to win 1st place.

Yes, it has been known (or least I have been telling about it). Did you know you can duck Rosalina's grab and dash grab too?

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Yeah, but that's mostly cause everyone always tries to grab in this game.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Sigh... I was basing my assumption from what ADHD did but looks like I need to correct my theory. Now, I am watching Zee play Villager on NeoNebulous and Villager's Explosion Balloon Trip can actually move around like BT but not as far. Zee knows the exact distance he needs to be in order to sweetspot the ledge. He can also go underneath the stage and reach the other side.

Nice job and Nice try @ MikeKirby MikeKirby ! I learned a lot from watching this matchup. Maybe ledge thump is preferred if the villager knows better?

However, if the villager tries to stall/plank, my theory will work.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Try to avoid stages that you can travel under and try to counterpick stages like omega pac land, omega boxing ring, and omega gaur plains,

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Sigh... I was basing my assumption from what ADHD did but looks like I need to correct my theory. Now, I am watching Zee play Villager on NeoNebulous and Villager's Explosion Balloon Trip can actually move around like BT but not as far. Zee knows the exact distance he needs to be in order to sweetspot the ledge. He can also go underneath the stage and reach the other side.

Nice job and Nice try @ MikeKirby MikeKirby ! I learned a lot from watching this matchup. Maybe ledge thump is preferred if the villager knows better?

However, if the villager tries to stall/plank, my theory will work.
As the metagame progresses, I'm learning that less and less people fall for ledge trumps so it might not work. However, if you can get through the explosions, you can try to trump a planking villager to get him off the ledge. Zee isn't the type of player that will time you out so I never felt the need to use meteor stone. He actually fought me onstage. The explosive balloons don't allow him to sweet spot the ledge so you can hover above him near the ledge if he's far below and d-air him after he blows his balloons up. I messed this up after a couple of resets and it cost me momentum of the match. :ohwell:

Also, I've said this before to a few people but I feel like Kirby is on limited time. :(
As time progresses, match-ups may start to veer away from Kirby--like the Sheik and Diddy matchups. Unless something is done to Diddy, it will become more and more of a nightmare for Kirby. =/

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Also, I've said this before to a few people but I feel like Kirby is on limited time. :(
As time progresses, match-ups may start to veer away from Kirby--like the Sheik and Diddy matchups. Unless something is done to Diddy, it will become more and more of a nightmare for Kirby. =/
Yeah this was pretty obvious to me from the start. It's kinda like Brawl, where there was at least 1 Kirby way above everybody else's level giving him results, but overall he just had bad matchups. Most of the losses to Kirby are due to the Kirby player being really good, and/or people not knowing the matchup. When you learn the Kirby matchup, things become a lot easier. When you learn a top tier matchup, things become manageable at best.

I'm not sure what you mean about ledgetrumps though, the thing about people "falling" for them is that it's a very viable and threatening mixup option that's available to you at all times. You can either wait for them onstage and punish their option, or you can threaten to trump/actually trump and it will always keep them guessing.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Yea, i saw that happen to Mike when he fought vinnie at smash attack 5 when he won the first match with only 40% percent on his last stock. Then the next match i guess vinnie learned the match-up and beat mike the next 2 games in a row. Unless a patch comes out kirby is really going to only have a tougher time winning against characters ESPECIALLY if your opponent knows the match-up.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I remember the first ti e i saw mike play against a sonic.

It seemed like that matchup should be neaRly unwinnable. Mike won, because he ouplayed him severely and dude kept walking into jab. Butthe more mobile characters, the better they get at avoiding us, the harder its going to be for kirby

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Inhale also stops his specials, should they ever run into it. This also gives D3 advantage.
Thats one of my strats in that matchup. Unfortunely, the sonic player I alwas play against is not very good, so it could be much worse.

Sonic is (of course) way to fast for Kirby to keep up.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Sonic can Homing Attack vs Inhale, sadly. I play a very good Sonic often and he found that out very quick. :c

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
You just have to catch them off-guard so they don't see it coming. If you're just holding inhale while the sonic is charging his spindash you deserve to get a HA to the face.

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
I think customs are going to become the standard. Too much hype behind it. We may have to adjust match ups to include customs.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Well until it's an official new rule we can't say for sure but including custom moves in match-up discussions would be a good idea. But idk lots of people seem to be against customs and while i can understand that to an extent trying new things is never a bad idea plus they add alot of variety to character's movesets and makes the entire cast at least 50% more viable than they were with their default movesets.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
As the metagame progresses, I'm learning that less and less people fall for ledge trumps so it might not work. However, if you can get through the explosions, you can try to trump a planking villager to get him off the ledge. Zee isn't the type of player that will time you out so I never felt the need to use meteor stone. He actually fought me onstage. The explosive balloons don't allow him to sweet spot the ledge so you can hover above him near the ledge if he's far below and d-air him after he blows his balloons up. I messed this up after a couple of resets and it cost me momentum of the match. :ohwell:

Actually, I believe the opposite. I do feel that lower tiers will become a bigger threat for Kirby to deal with (especially Falco, Bowser, Bowser Jr, etc.) which will be troublesome, but most of the top tiers are too polarized to completely invalidate Kirby's good MUs as time goes on. The only one I can see becoming a true threat is Diddy, Sonic, Greninja, Mega Man and possibly Pac-Man. Pikachu, too. Diddy/Sonic aren't as polarized as the others, they just aren't explored outside of Hoo Hah and Spin2Win jank. Greninja will progressively get better as his kit is explored more, to the point where he can invalidate Kirby. Mega Man will become worse than Villager (MUCH WORSE THAN VILLAGER) once people stop trying to be aggressive with him against Kirby. The reason you can stand your ground against Ninjalink is because he doesn't try to wall you out with AAA. If Ninjalink decides to get a proper defensive game going (to the point where time-outs become a thing), Kirby won't stand a chance unless some patch gives us better walking speed. Pac-Man can jank Kirby out if he wants to, but is similar to Greninja in that, as time goes on, he can invalidate most of Kirby's strengths. Pikachu is going to become QA + TJ spam + HSB for 35% kills against Kirby.

Other top tiers like ZSS, Sheik and Palutena aren't going to do anything against Kirby. Maybe Sheik will become a slight disadvantage, but so far they're proving to be polarized. Most of them only get results as their full game plan isn't figured out yet. Along with that, Kirby has much more room to grow compared to other characters, so some bad MUs can easily become good MUs.

I'm not saying that time won't affect Kirby whatsoever, though. It certainly will, and it'll be hard. However, Kirby won't get shut down out of the competitive scene on Melee or Brawl levels. It's just that, not to be rude to some, but barely any Kirby mains are actually good with their fundamentals. Kirby is the face of casual players, which is why so many bad players come and go.

All this is with customs on, of course. Without customs, Kirby is absolute crap, sitting down with Zelda and Mii Swordfighter.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hey guys, what's up? Haven't stopped by here in a while.

Pac-Man can jank Kirby out if he wants to, but is similar to Greninja in that, as time goes on, he can invalidate most of Kirby's strengths.
I play against Eevee's Kirby almost every day and while I win most of them, I don't think this will ever be an unwinnable MU for Kirby (With standard moveset, I dislike customs).

It's definitely in my favor, but Kirby's ability to stay in the air can avoid ledge traps entirely and Kirby can actually gimp me, even if it isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. Your combo game is actually pretty good as well, which allows you to kind of keep up with the pace Pacman racks damage at.
Kirby also has very good fruit setups as well as very good angles to launch the hydrant if you get control of it (Utilt launched hydrant when I have my back to the edge is terrifying). Kirby also can make great use of the hydrant water.
If Kirby can get my power, the matchup can also turn against me really fast as it comes down to who can use the fruits better. Now that Eevee is learning how to properly use all of the fruits, the MU becomes really tough when he gets an inhale. Beware though, as I can punish a swallow with Hydrant (Huzzah... they brought back being punished for successfully landing an inhale... Thanks Sakurai...), so don't do it if you're in kill % and no hydrant is on the field.

On the flip side... (Going to put this in a list to make it easier to read, which I should have done for the previous section)

-Pacman has better stage control through his traps, and the fact that I get to choose where and when to throw hydrant meaning it will be in my control more often than not.
-Footstools still wreck Kirby's recovery.
-Pacman clearly outzones Kirby.
-Kirby has a lot of trouble dealing with Pacman's Fair. The high priority of this move allows me to be very aggressive in the air if I choose, and it is a combo starter.
-It is surprisingly easy for Pacman to punish Kirby for hitting his shield. Despite my grab's bad speed, it's range allows me to grab you even if you retreat aerials like Dair on my shield. If you try to cross me up, I have trampoline OoS which hits frame 1 and kills follow ups (Bait this and punish! Kirby punishes this harder than most since you can hit my shield and stay airborne and out of range of the hitbox if you space yourself correctly.). If you try to hit my shield and retreat, Fair OoS can punish. It becomes a guessing game which is in my favor, but does yield good rewards for you if you guess right.
-If I am careful with my recovery, I shouldn't get gimped much.
-I have much safer kill options with Key, Bell, Melon, Apple, Orange, Hydrant, Bair, Nair, Uair and a kill throw than you guys do. My Smashes also kill but those are considerably less safe unless hydrant gushed off of a platform to cancel lag (By the way, you guys can use this too!).
-I can build damage up faster than you guys. Pacman's damage output is kind of insane tbh.

That's all I can think of atm. @ EMPEROR Eevee EMPEROR Eevee anything else to add?
If you guys want a visual representation of this MU, we can upload one of the 50 matches we do a day of this.
Personally, I think the MU is 6-4 in Pacman's favor unless you guys get my power.

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
I never thought that the pacman match-up was too bad since pacman is has trouble in close-quarters so once we get in we can rack up damage pretty nicely. 50 matches? Geez I wish I had someone to play with I'm stuck with scrubs on fg and my random friends I never know when they're going to be online or not.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Pacman really doesn't struggle in close quarters at all; just most Pacman players don't learn their CQC options.

On an unrelated note, here's a cool thing for any of you who play doubles:

-Kirby's Fthrow is comparatively really easy for his teammate to footstool the opponent out of. Fthrow>footstool leads to an easy Dtilt jab lock for Kirby, which in turn can lead to whatever you want.

I know Eevee and I tend to go for Fthrow>footstool>Dtilt>descending Pacman Fair (Optional, but also jab locks)>Pacman grab>infinite or Fthrow>footstool>Kirby Dtilt>Pacman Fair>Pacman Fsmash and Kirby Hammer together if we're trying to style.

EMPEROR Eevee

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, what's up? Haven't stopped by here in a while.

I play against Eevee's Kirby almost every day and while I win most of them, I don't think this will ever be an unwinnable MU for Kirby (With standard moveset, I dislike customs).

It's definitely in my favor, but Kirby's ability to stay in the air can avoid ledge traps entirely and Kirby can actually gimp me, even if it isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. Your combo game is actually pretty good as well, which allows you to kind of keep up with the pace Pacman racks damage at.
Kirby also has very good fruit setups as well as very good angles to launch the hydrant if you get control of it (Utilt launched hydrant when I have my back to the edge is terrifying). Kirby also can make great use of the hydrant water.
If Kirby can get my power, the matchup can also turn against me really fast as it comes down to who can use the fruits better. Now that Eevee is learning how to properly use all of the fruits, the MU becomes really tough when he gets an inhale. Beware though, as I can punish a swallow with Hydrant (Huzzah... they brought back being punished for successfully landing an inhale... Thanks Sakurai...), so don't do it if you're in kill % and no hydrant is on the field.

On the flip side... (Going to put this in a list to make it easier to read, which I should have done for the previous section)

-Pacman has better stage control through his traps, and the fact that I get to choose where and when to throw hydrant meaning it will be in my control more often than not.
-Footstools still wreck Kirby's recovery.
-Pacman clearly outzones Kirby.
-Kirby has a lot of trouble dealing with Pacman's Fair. The high priority of this move allows me to be very aggressive in the air if I choose, and it is a combo starter.
-It is surprisingly easy for Pacman to punish Kirby for hitting his shield. Despite my grab's bad speed, it's range allows me to grab you even if you retreat aerials like Dair on my shield. If you try to cross me up, I have trampoline OoS which hits frame 1 and kills follow ups (Bait this and punish! Kirby punishes this harder than most since you can hit my shield and stay airborne and out of range of the hitbox if you space yourself correctly.). If you try to hit my shield and retreat, Fair OoS can punish. It becomes a guessing game which is in my favor, but does yield good rewards for you if you guess right.
-If I am careful with my recovery, I shouldn't get gimped much.
-I have much safer kill options with Key, Bell, Melon, Apple, Orange, Hydrant, Bair, Nair, Uair and a kill throw than you guys do. My Smashes also kill but those are considerably less safe unless hydrant gushed off of a platform to cancel lag (By the way, you guys can use this too!).
-I can build damage up faster than you guys. Pacman's damage output is kind of insane tbh.

That's all I can think of atm. @ EMPEROR Eevee EMPEROR Eevee anything else to add?
If you guys want a visual representation of this MU, we can upload one of the 50 matches we do a day of this.
Personally, I think the MU is 6-4 in Pacman's favor unless you guys get my power.
I second everything Fromundaman has stated in this post. The MU becomes 5-5 when you have Pac's ability as it somewhat evens up the zoning game. What really hurts Pac-man is if you have the life lead + Pac's ability + Holding Pac's fruit. In that situation, you can control the MU. Without his fruit, he can't go for the setups that he wants to do. And on certain stages, you can out camp him( I know this because @ fromundaman fromundaman purposely SD'ed so he wouldn't have to deal with me camping on Konga 64 for 5 mins.) Learning how to properly use Pac's fruits also helps in this MU. Z-dropping fruits on his hydrants, near the ledge or if he is trying to approach you can be very useful. Just be careful not to let him grab your fruit. Each fruit has a different property as you all know so here's an example(s) of some uses that have worked for me:

-Pac-man knocks you towards the top right/left corner of the screen and you survive.(#GoodDI)
-Kirby, with Pac's trait, charges the apple and waits for the Pac-man to weaken the hydrant.
-Kirby throws the apple, which goes down at an angle, and it hit's the hydrant, punishing Pac-man

or

-Kirby is holding Melon
-Pac-man is trying to recover
-Kirby goes offstage and as he is just under the ledge, throw the fruit up and it will sit there floating for a couple of seconds (2-3).

There are many more examples but in short, this MU is 6-4 Pac-Man, 5-5 when Kirby has his power, and 6-4 Kirby if you have his power, the life lead, holding his Z-dropped fruit, and successfully outcamping him.

Last edited:

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Hey everyone in the olimar matchup, I was thinking do you all think wave cutter would be a good tool to use against him? If used effectively it forces him to approach us, and it punishes and destroys pikman and throw in the process. Thoughts?

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Hey everyone in the olimar matchup, I was thinking do you all think wave cutter would be a good tool to use against him? If used effectively it forces him to approach us, and it punishes and destroys pikman and throw in the process. Thoughts?
The copy ability we get from Olimar does that, but would probably work way better. Our Pikmin beat his, and we can spam them with little to no consequence. Really, our ability in that matchup is crucial. I would take Upper Cutter for its general superiority and Jumping Inhale to ensure I get the ability.

Top Bottom