• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Kirby's not going to progress much with people being so down about him, but he's also not going to progress if people with enough skill level to do things with him don't do much on the boards either. Admittedly I don't have the confidence, knowledge or skill level to really find new tricks or advance the character.

On that note I'm going to continue to play as Kirby because he's the reason I play smash at all. It's like a Kirby game to me, and he's what makes it fun for me. Though I'm not confident or competitive enough for Tourney's, I'm in getting up their in age and have other things to worry about. Like bills, food and health. I'm a 30 year old who feels like they're going on 50! Haha.

Speaking of Kirby, I've had the urge to play through every mainline game in the series. It's too bad the multi-player ones don't have online.
Well Kirby isn't without his weaknesses, but I don't really think they're quite as glaring as people think. Yeah, his air/groundspeed could be improved and I'd love to see less start-up lag on some moves (I'm lookin' at you, dair), but I still play him because
1. I'm reasonably successful with him, and
2. I really enjoy playing as him.

If he was truly awful I doubt I'd bother with him.

Anyway, hate to get on this bandwagon, but I also don't have enough confidence in my Smash 4 abilities to contribute in the way of guides and discoveries. I've sat down and tried to hammer some combos and things out to figure out what works, but nothing I've come up with so far is original. Or good.

It does indeed seem like there's a hard core of several talented Kirby players here who do the bulk of the contributing, and a lot of people sat around bemoaning the poor little puff. But overall the fact that we're still coming up with things (LaserLockOn put out an awesome combo/edgeguarding guide just a few hours ago) encourages me nevertheless.
Funny how someone like Kirby can teach us some of these very important lessons. Patience, blood, and sweat are all we need with some things, but I digress.

I also find it kind of funny that I look for a Kirby amiibo named Snowball. On Christmas. Oh the irony.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I can cook when I feel like it. I make a delicious Shepard's pie.

Last edited:

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
I'm with Slonk and GrnFzzTgr on this.

I spend a lot of time learning to pick up every character in Smash Bros. Kirby being one of my favourites and the reason I picked up Smash 64 in the first place. If there's a disadvantage in a match up then I'll figure something out.

Gets tiresome hearing the bad things about him but hell that won't stop me from using the pink puffball xD

...and I'd love to help come up some advanced tech for him as well. But these days I only have the CPU to face on 3ds until I find a way to play Wii u version with more players frequently.
If I was in a position to join tourneys I would definitely do that but it'll be a few years before that.

That and i'm in the UK :x and most of you guys are in the states.

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
I'm with Slonk and GrnFzzTgr on this.

I spend a lot of time learning to pick up every character in Smash Bros. Kirby being one of my favourites and the reason I picked up Smash 64 in the first place. If there's a disadvantage in a match up then I'll figure something out.

Gets tiresome hearing the bad things about him but hell that won't stop me from using the pink puffball xD

...and I'd love to help come up some advanced tech for him as well. But these days I only have the CPU to face on 3ds until I find a way to play Wii u version with more players frequently.
If I was in a position to join tourneys I would definitely do that but it'll be a few years before that.

That and i'm in the UK :x and most of you guys are in the states.
It's alright it's ok if u can't. Ya know we'll love to play you when you get a wii u.

Back to the discussion do u cook?

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Sometimes xD
However If I want something to eat quickly. I rarely cook at all if I'm in a rush.
I should do it more often though

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I love a juicy steak, but I've been avoiding red meat for half a year now

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I work for a restaurant chain and cook for a living, so yeah, I cook.

Weird considering a few years ago I hated cooking with a passion.

On an unrelated note, ughhh... Of all things to carry over from Brawl, why was being punished for successfully landing a copy one of the things they kept? ARG!

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Nice! What is your specialty?
Chinese Food since I work for P.F. Chang's, although since my mother is a great cook she's shown me how to cook a lot of french foods as well.

Also strangely enough it seems I am really good at grilling fish, even though I hate sea food.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Ew fish. I had a Tina sandwich the other day and it made me vomit.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Blueberries are the food that makes me gag.
I love blueberries, grapes and watermelon. Also tomato. I used to hate tomato as a kid. But I grew to like them because of maxim tomatoes, haha. ... I really liked Kirby growing up.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
On an unrelated note, ughhh... Of all things to carry over from Brawl, why was being punished for successfully landing a copy one of the things they kept? ARG!

tuna is great, tomatoes are great, blueberries are good, grapes are good, watermelon is ok, chinese food is great, mexican food is great, italian food is great, idk what french food might be, pineapple and strawberries are amazing
potatoes suck

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Strawberry Cake is our God. You must live and breathe for Strawberry Cake to become a legendary Star Warrior.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
potatoes suck
U wot? Potatoes are the most basic, average thing. They go with anything!

That said, I can't stand iceberg lettuce. The texture just makes me retch, and I hate hate hate the flavour.

I work in a thai restaurant, so coconut-anything has become a big hit with me.

Last edited:

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
@ Asdioh Asdioh will U play tmr. I want to play you sometime. I Think ur better than me and I would like advice from you. to improve my kirby.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
ok RRR
I think you should spend some time with the other Kirbys here. I feel like I've already learned a bit from our games! You're definitely more clutch than me. The others seem to think I'm one of the best around but you've always been better :x

Questions: why do you use Dthrow? Every time you used it, it didn't get a followup (because the move sucks) so I feel like you coulda used a different throw.
What do you think about Kirby's double jab cancel I kept using? Jabjab->grab seems pretty legit.

Uhh I forgot what else I was gonna say, but you should totes play these guys :bee:

Reminds me, I need to fight you at some point and do some mad learnin', if you're down.

Added you; my 3ds name is печенье
r u tricking me? 3ds doesn't have names, and I can't spell that!

also I added you on Wiiu Saladbowl, idk if I'll play anymore tonight but sometime!

Last edited:

Triple R

Smash Lord
ok RRR
I think you should spend some time with the other Kirbys here. I feel like I've already learned a bit from our games! You're definitely more clutch than me. The others seem to think I'm one of the best around but you've always been better :x

Questions: why do you use Dthrow? Every time you used it, it didn't get a followup (because the move sucks) so I feel like you coulda used a different throw.
What do you think about Kirby's double jab cancel I kept using? Jabjab->grab seems pretty legit.

Uhh I forgot what else I was gonna say, but you should totes play these guys :bee:
Dthrow is still out of habit mostly. There's not really a followup for any throw. Even though other throws do more damage, Dthrow feels more comfortable to me. It's feels good to keep your feet planted. Even though it's minor, I don't like having to reset myself back on the ground after uthrow.

I'm still skeptical of the jab to grab stuff. I know there's a gap in there, but none of my moves seemed to come out fast enough to hit you first. I think part of it is due to the fact that Kirby's a floaty so he gets popped up in the air slightly. I've had plenty of other characters just mash things out as me after I stop jabbing. Near the end, I finally just jumped out of it. I'd need more time with it to really see how I feel about it. Maybe jabjab grab is way better than jab grab. Not too sure yet.

ggs

Anyone else wanna play?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Maybe jabjab grab is way better than jab grab. Not too sure yet.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it is. Jab2 comes out very quickly, but the multihit part of jab (i guess i could just call it jab3+) has enough startup that some characters can hit you out of it. I've been consistently hit out of it by sheik's jab, and I've been hit by diddy's upair before. Also, Jab3 isn't very good against characters like Kirby, and a few others, because they can DI up and out and then punish the huge ending lag. Jab2->grab or dtilt or whatever seems pretty legit, even if it's not as good as what Fox has.

I need to learn to space Bair like you do. I guess the move really IS safe on shield, except in cases where the opponent has really long reach? I've never been good at spacing it and just assumed it was unsafe :/

Also you should add Reserved, his NNID is Inverted. He wants to play you but he's being dumb and afk or something silly like that!

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Last game and I'm done. Thanks for the matches! You wrecked me, lol. Gimme tips!

Will ask questions n stuff later, I'm on mobile so I don't wanna type a bunch.

Top Bottom