• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
We seem to have an advantage against ROB. Once we get in we can combo him to high percents and he's seems really vulnerable to our juggles. We're also small enough to duck under his attacks. I've had a ROB player complain to me that he had to change his play style because Kirby was so small, and I kept avoiding his attacks by ducking.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
While Villager, Toon Link, and Sonic have all gotten a bit of discussion throughout the threads, I haven't seen anything regarding DeDeDe, other than a few things Asdioh pointed out...

Does anybody actually agree on a specific character we should start with, or should I randomly pick?

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
How about Dedede? I actually went to the DeDeDe boards for advice on dealing with him, but they didn't know about the match up.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
We seem to have an advantage against ROB. Once we get in we can combo him to high percents and he's seems really vulnerable to our juggles. We're also small enough to duck under his attacks. I've had a ROB player complain to me that he had to change his play style because Kirby was so small, and I kept avoiding his attacks by ducking.
I just hate going up against ROB in general. Always feels like you're in the disadvantage. Until you get into a juggle combo. I was unaware of the ducking, but that'll help.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
After shoving a bunch of characters just listed into a random name picking thing, Mega Man was the first chosen.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
You know airdodging loses to doing nothing right? If your opponent is consistently airdodging your followups, then you need to be patient, wait for the airdodge, and then attack.

Sonic is an extremely obnoxious matchup for anyone, but especially for characters like Kirby. Ideally you'd get him above you and then juggle him, but thanks to his Spring he can jump way out of reach, and then attempt to land and reset the situation. Of course, on the ground he can also just run away really fast to reset the situation. Your best bet is probably empty shorthops/walking towards him if you have to approach. Jab stops his SideB approach, and then if you jab afterwards you'll at least clank with his own jab followup. It's going to be one of those boring matchups, where you can't combo him very well (you can get some 2-3 hit combos, but anytime he gets above you from uptilts or whatever he Springs away) and it requires a lot of patience. And reaction time. Which is impossible on wifi.
Yeaaah. You are 100% right about everything. I guess I get impatient with boring fights like this and should know better. His spring is super annoying for sure. I must train patience and learn more about what attacks out do others. We should play again some time for sure. ;-;

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I keep losing online guys. I feel like giving up. I don't have the time I need to get better at smash and so many other hobbies and plans. I feel like I get better in small increments but not enough to matter. I hate seeing Kirby lose too. I think I'm too attached to the character that I take it personally.

I want to get better at Kirby cause so few people bother with the character in smash and he seems so underrated but I don't know that my presence helps the cause much either way.

I have zero interest in the other characters so...

I'll like to keep seeing you all get better with Kirby though.

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
I keep losing online guys. I feel like giving up. I don't have the time I need to get better at smash and so many other hobbies and plans. I feel like I get better in small increments but not enough to matter. I hate seeing Kirby lose too. I think I'm too attached to the character that I take it personally.

I want to get better at Kirby cause so few people bother with the character in smash and he seems so underrated but I don't know that my presence helps the cause much either way.

I have zero interest in the other characters so...

I'll like to keep seeing you all get better with Kirby though.
Just keep trying. You wouldn't believe how much I've lost using other characters for the first time (paulatena, bowser jr, falco), but after awhile it just sort of clicks and online becomes a lot easier.

Save some of your replays, and if you can, upload them to the video thread so we can figure out whats going on. If you don't have the tools to upload then see the mistakes you are making and correct them. The biggest thing to help improve your game is watching other kirby's in the video thread and watching competitive play in general. I don't think any of the good kirby's would have gotten where they are now without watching the professionals (and fighting some better players). Fighting good players always makes me play better.

If you need further help just add me so we can play sometime.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwzH7eSOwAc Kirby vs Majin Buu Death Battle

So much salt in the youtube comments. All the Kirby music used made me nostalgic.
NICE. People underestimate how strong Kirby is. In fact his character is so OP even for his own games. Kirby games were designed to be entry level and to do this they made sure that the lead in a platformer game was OP. A live bar instead of a one hit ko, the ability to fly over pitfalls, the ability to harness all this enemy's abilities. You don't get away with that in many other platformers. Even DK, Mario, and Megaman die in one hit in their own games and can't avoid the greater challenge of traversing their own platformer worlds since their games are more precision based. This philosophy and existence extends to all the things Kirby can grow and do during the course of his games. Kirby is a super powered baby too.Imagine him as an adult if he were to ever grow up.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Posted this in another thread - here's some Kirby pictures I took and then removed the background from:
SO CUTE. I like the fat puffy face of Kirby when he eats someone. Should have one of those too. The Link one is so cuuuuuuuuute

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Yesterday, I found a funny Kirby "glitch".

I was Robin and my oponent was Kirby.
He had the Robin copy ability, and everytime I send him flying with the Levin Sword, his face when he tried to recover (midair jumps) was the "pain face" (sad eyes and open mouth).
Kirby looked pretty disturbing flying with that face XD

Sorry for the grammatical errors XD

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah, Kirby has weird face glitches after getting hit while wearing a hat. If you jump after getting hit, he stays with that face o_o

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Anyone wanna play?
Well, I would like too, except that I'm doing homework for Winter Break right now and I have to leave in less than an hour. And I don't have the Wii U version yet, so I'd be restricted to 3DS.

Also, do not double post. The mods don't like that.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I just started playing Kirby recently, I have to say he's a great character, I picked him up and was able to beat some of my friend's mains and flow in to combos naturally. The real test is seeing if I stick to Kirby when my friends catch on to Kirby's weaknesses, for now though, WOO KIRBY! I already was playing King Dedede before but I had a problem with his approach options and speed, Kirby seems to fit my needs amazingly, also I love s-smashes like Kirby's where he kicks forward.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Sounds like might be this tune from Triple Deluxe
might be another version. Anyway I suggest the marvelous game either way it's fantastic and the whole soundtrack is so great!

Truly you've made my Christmas.

The boss music from Return to dreamland is what plays there. I would know, I spent months fighting metal general to test copy ability damage data

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
oh, merry christmas or something http://youtu.be/yrD2W7zjwzA
The boss music from Return to dreamland is what plays there. I would know, I spent months fighting metal general to test copy ability damage data
Ah! Thanks. It was hard for me to hear it with the talking so I took my best guess haha. Return to Dreamland also has a ****ing fantastic soundtrack. Triple Deluxe's soundtracks had a lot more positive feedback but RtDL's has some real gems on there too.

Aahh, I just love Kirby games and Kirby music in general.

Anyone wanna play?
I need all the practice and help I can get if you want to add me. I'm Game Queen on Wii U.

Last edited:

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
I need all the practice and help I can get if you want to add me. I'm Game Queen on Wii U.
I'll add u

Ok so "kirbæ"'s level 40 and
He goes for Bthrow>Bair, he tries to spike me, he goes for ACfair>Fsmash, he gets a lot of grabs off, he puts pressure with nair, and he gets reads OML
I think he's better than most of the people I've played on for glory

I'm scared to see if he'll beat me at level 50, Hes never beaten me... Yet

EDIT: nvm he just beat me ugh

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Does he do the right amount of damage per hit? I heard that Amiibos have high damage (as if they were using equipment) despite not having anything equipped.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
OMG I really need Kirby to get a buff in an upcoming update if I'm going to keep maining him. He just requires TREMENDOUS effort. Even those good at smash have to work harder than others using easier to command characters. So someone like me who isn't as good at smash has to ****ing climb a friggin mountain to master the guy. He seriously needs a buff or I'm giving up on smash. I can't just play smash as any Nintendo character. I love Kirby and Kirby games and if I can't even play my favorite character in a game where I can choose him cause his goal post is miles away from the rest than I really don't want to bother.
Kirby's got completely useless moves in his moveset that should have been changed or something. Hammer Flip is NOT useful. Moves like his down special and his cutter leave him vulnerable and aren't as useful either or have to be used so sparringly it makes you wish they had just changed his specials to something better. I getting so frustrated. It's not just this game but the fact Kirby has been weak since 64. I just can't deal with Sakurai's disregard of his own character. I getting tired of his concern over bias that he's willing to just let this happen. I want a buff in the next update or I'm seriously considering moving on.

Last edited:

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
OMG I really need Kirby to get a buff in an upcoming update if I'm going to keep maining him. He just requires TREMENDOUS effort. Even those good at smash have to work harder than others using easier to command characters. So someone like me who isn't as good at smash has to ****ing climb a friggin mountain to master the guy. He seriously needs a buff or I'm giving up on smash. I can't just play smash as any Nintendo character. I love Kirby and Kirby games and if I can't even play my favorite character in a game where I can choose him cause his goal post is miles away from the rest than I really don't want to bother.
Kirby's got completely useless moves in his moveset that should have been changed or something. Hammer Flip is NOT useful. Moves like his down special and his cutter leave him vulnerable and aren't as useful either or have to be used so sparringly it makes you wish they had just changed his specials to something better. I getting so frustrated. It's not just this game but the fact Kirby has been weak since 64. I just can't deal with Sakurai's disregard of his own character. I getting tired of his concern over bias that he's willing to just let this happen. I want a buff in the next update or I'm seriously considering moving on.
Actually hammer bash, final cutter, and stone has its uses.

Hammer bash is great for reads. If u predict a roll then use hammer bash and it'll get them offstage or kill. It's also a great punish tools. You can punish failed counters, grab whiffs, and moves with good ending lag. Also fully charged it kills at 30% and due to the big shield damage from stone, if you get a shield break then they're ****ed.

Stone is actually good. For characters with recoveries that can't sweetspot the edge like ike, then you can easily abuse stone. It's also a good kill mix-up because it's good to mix up your kill moves. Also on medium shields, it can most likely break it and they'll get a fully charged hammer bash to the face. The fact that it kills at 70% is good and on platformed stages, you can do stuff like dropping through the platform and using stone.

Final cutter is actually decent oos. Also when ur on the edge, U can use it and if they get hit by the meteoring part, you can follow up with fair. U can spike them when they try to recover and get an early stock.

They all have their uses so take advantage of that. Oh and Sakurai said he's not doing any balance updates

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Actually hammer bash, final cutter, and stone has its uses.

Hammer bash is great for reads. If u predict a roll then use hammer bash and it'll get them offstage or kill. It's also a great punish tools. You can punish failed counters, grab whiffs, and moves with good ending lag. Also fully charged it kills at 30% and due to the big shield damage from stone, if you get a shield break then they're ****ed.

Stone is actually good. For characters with recoveries that can't sweetspot the edge like ike, then you can easily abuse stone. It's also a good kill mix-up because it's good to mix up your kill moves. Also on medium shields, it can most likely break it and they'll get a fully charged hammer bash to the face. The fact that it kills at 70% is good and on platformed stages, you can do stuff like dropping through the platform and using stone.

Final cutter is actually decent oos. Also when ur on the edge, U can use it and if they get hit by the meteoring part, you can follow up with fair. U can spike them when they try to recover and get an early stock.

They all have their uses so take advantage of that. Oh and Sakurai said he's not doing any balance updates
They have their uses but it's sparingly. They still put your character at risk and everyone who mains Kirby knows that the first advice they give to people new to Kirby is to not use those moves often except under these specific circumstances (and it's still at a risk imo). Also I'd personally would still love to see Kirby's specials change in the future. I just wish, as a Kirby fan, his moveset can be more reflective of the variety of moves and things he can do in the games. Which is really hard to interpret into smash. I'm still on the side that would like to see those changes.

No more updates is a shame.

Last edited:

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
They have their uses but it's sparingly. They still put your character at risk and everyone who mains Kirby knows that the first advice they give to people new to Kirby is to not use those moves often except under these specific circumstances (and it's still at a risk imo). Also I'd personally would still love to see Kirby's specials change in the future. I just wish, as a Kirby fan, his moveset can be more reflective of the variety of moves and things he can do in the games. Which is really hard to interpret into smash. I'm still on the side that would like to see those changes.

No more updates is a shame.
Yeah but when you actually get it off it'll hurt a lot and be really satisfying but Ya know take risks.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Yeah but when you actually get it off it'll hurt a lot and be really satisfying but Ya know take risks.
Risks have not been in my favor lately and the fact I have to risk so much compared to maybe maining another character is something to consider. It's part of my frustration.

I'll still main Kirby but I feel like my aspiration and work in truly mastering him has been subdued. He is my favorite Nintendo character though and no one else will do. So either way, if co-workers feel like playing the game or feel like getting back in the saddle, he's my only choice.

Guess I'm just pessimistic lately. Really wish I had a gamecube controller on top of everything. Though I think I just need a break from this effort in general.

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
Risks have not been in my favor lately and the fact I have to risk so much compared to maybe maining another character is something to consider. It's part of my frustration.

I'll still main Kirby but I feel like my aspiration and work in truly mastering him has been subdued. He is my favorite Nintendo character though and no one else will do. So either way, if co-workers feel like playing the game or feel like getting back in the saddle, he's my only choice.

Guess I'm just pessimistic lately. Really wish I had a gamecube controller on top of everything. Though I think I just need a break from this effort in general.
Something I do when I get frustrated with a character is I go play with other characters and pick one up. I don't mean dropping kirby, or switching mains, just giving urself another option in tournaments

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Something I do when I get frustrated with a character is I go play with other characters and pick one up. I don't mean dropping kirby, or switching mains, just giving urself another option in tournaments
I only want to main Kirby characters. I'm terrible with MK though. I've never been good with him even when he was OP in Brawl. I like playing Dedede as well but I don't know that he covers Kirby's weaknesses. That leaves me with no one else I want to play as. Soo... it's cool. I don't think I'd make a good smash player anyway. I'm hyper biased towards the Kirby franchise and my only interest in the smash games at all is the director and the link the games have to Kirby. Otherwise I wouldn't be playing the game at all. So this makes me bad at playing the game strictly for smash itself. lol. I can live with that and admit it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom