• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I still don't think kirbys a bad character. He's good imo. He's not great but he's not bad.
It is more of the fact that a lot of basic tactics can hold Kirby back, it seems. Obviously, it is a problem, but a great mind will come out of it with a lot of work. I'm working my way towards that when college doesn't rear its ugly, financial-ridden face on me.

@ kirby_queen kirby_queen : I feel you so much, I've taken a break from the entire competitive scene because Kirby taught me a valuable lesson.

Kirby is one of the hardest characters to master and use effectively because of his massive learning curve and his flaws. So just know that it isn't just you. It helps to take a break from the action and just focus on the fundamentals for a little bit or even do some fun stuff with the AI.

And remember, life comes first, not Smash. There will be a time and day for each one of us to train up and Smash with friends and competitors. And don't let this situation make you drop Kirby, but respect him as a very difficult character as opposed to some of the easier characters out there (nothing against them, by the way). The pay-off is well worth it, but patience...patience is key. My apologies if I come off as anything but helpful here, just trying to cheer another Kirby player on!

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
WHY DOES OUR SOCIAL THREAD ONLY FOCUS ON SMASH

THAT AIN'T SOCIAL
What IS social is the Kirby Amiibo talks. I have yet to get one yet, but I've already thought of a name for it: SNOWBALL!

Any of you have Kirby Amiibos? If so, how's it going and what are you naming them?

Oh, and I forgot to state this, but I managed to clear the "9.0 Classic without losing a life" Challenge with Kirby!

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
@ Asdioh Asdioh I saw ur name on the Apex list for smash wii u. Yes go rep for kirby. I hope you win it all or atleast get top 8.

@MikeKirby did U register? I didn't see your name. I was hoping to see you there.

Anyways does chudat still play kirby?

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Actually where is Chudat? Did he retire or is Smash 4 Kirby is not worth the trouble?

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
Actually where is Chudat? Did he retire or is Smash 4 Kirby is not worth the trouble?
He's in Florida and he's going to apex for smash wiiu and melee but idk who his main is

I haven't seen his gameplay yet

Does anyone know who his wii u main is?

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
What IS social is the Kirby Amiibo talks. I have yet to get one yet, but I've already thought of a name for it: SNOWBALL!

Any of you have Kirby Amiibos? If so, how's it going and what are you naming them?

Oh, and I forgot to state this, but I managed to clear the "9.0 Classic without losing a life" Challenge with Kirby!
I've got seven of them. Their names are Tuff, Sunshine, Ocean, Peppermint, Emerald, Moonlight, and Sunset. Yeah, I'm not the best with names.

The only one I don't have is the last alt, that Meta Knight-ish one. I'm not sure what I'll name him once I get him. Do you guys have any ideas?

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
He's in Florida and he's going to apex for smash wiiu and melee but idk who his main is

I haven't seen his gameplay yet

Does anyone know who his wii u main is?
Oh good news! Wait he plays Melee? With whom? Kirby? His WiiU main is Diddy. Everyone main is Diddy!

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I've got seven of them. Their names are Tuff, Sunshine, Ocean, Peppermint, Emerald, Moonlight, and Sunset. Yeah, I'm not the best with names.

The only one I don't have is the last alt, that Meta Knight-ish one. I'm not sure what I'll name him once I get him. Do you guys have any ideas?
Nightfall

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Oh good news! Wait he plays Melee? With whom? Kirby? His WiiU main is Diddy. Everyone main is Diddy!
lol no. He mains ICs in Melee. Just search "chudat melee" on youtube and I'm sure there will be a bunch of IC videos.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
"Kirby's stomach is an entirely separate and endless dimension of reality".

And yet his inhale can be shielded.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
"Kirby's stomach is an entirely separate and endless dimension of reality".

And yet his inhale can be shielded.
LOL, tbh Kirby abilities are really limited and toned down in smash. He should also be able to spit players out as stars, kick slide, fly endlessly, etc.

Gotta make things even fair for the other fighters, I suppose...

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
Actually inhale can't be shielded, the windbox can and the grab is only if they're right next to them. Like really close.

Wait so R u guys sure that chudat mains diddy. Someone told me that he mained kirby in smash wii u.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684

Seven? Seven? Well then, that certainly made me raise my eyebrows a bit. XD

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I'm thinking about taking a picture of me and my Kirby Amiibo "in-game" when I have the chance. I'll need an SD Card, though, so it may take time.

Also, decided to look at the comments of the "Death Battle" thing. There is some major salt/problems with some people.

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
I got a blue one and his name is peppermint. He has ice breath, hammer bash, upper cutter, and grounding stone.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Can't win in For Glory to save my life this morning. This is embarrassing, I'm just getting pasted by absolutely everyone :(

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Nah, it's mostly just playing ok but not being able to clinch the win. Eg, just now I fought an Ike. Got him to 120%, I'm on like 50%. He gets in a single side smash and he wins.

Or before, fought a Ness. He got me in a PK fire and that was the end of it- did some crazy combo in the air, PK thundered me and then PK cannoned me as i tumbled to earth, helpless. 100% damage and dead in less than six seconds.

Damages the old morale a little bit.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
"I know the Kirby boards on Smashboards is pretty depressive, but I basically ignore it and do my own thing. I don't want to this to come off the wrong way, but I'm kinda beyond the Smashboards threads." - Triple R

Just so nobody thinks he's talking about the Melee Kirby boards, this was said specifically in a post about Smash 4.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Hey quick question:

Is Triple Threat on the 3DS worth buying?
Uh, you mean Triple Deluxe? If so, than yes. YES.

"I know the Kirby boards on Smashboards is pretty depressive, but I basically ignore it and do my own thing. I don't want to this to come off the wrong way, but I'm kinda beyond the Smashboards threads." - Triple R

Just so nobody thinks he's talking about the Melee Kirby boards, this was said specifically in a post about Smash 4.
Not sure what this means but I guess he's moved beyond us. He's moved on to a better place. rip

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Not sure what this means but I guess he's moved beyond us. He's moved on to a better place. rip
I honestly agree with him. Not to offend anybody here, but the Kirby boards are probably one of my least favorite character boards to come to. There's several reasons, but the biggest reason, as Triple R said, is that almost everybody here only talks about how bad Kirby is, how they wish he had buffs, and why he's so bad. Nobody ever focuses on what's good about Kirby. Not much people really even explore the character - the only people who, as far as I know, actually go further into Kirby are Asdioh, T1mmy, WootSnorlax, MikeKirby, and myself. Not trying to offend anybody, but a LOT of Kirby mains come here just to lurk and look for tips and never try to contribute. We're never going to advance if no effort is put into advancing this character. I mean, look at other character boards - almost every other character board has active discussion going on throughout each day - we get maybe one or two posts in each thread. It's pretty depressing to come here and see nothing but people complaining.

I've talked to some other Kirby mains about this a bit, but I guess I should just say it now. I don't like coming to these boards and seeing what I see. I really don't.

Also, as I'd rather not upset anybody, this IS NOT directed at anybody in general. It's directed at this charactar board as a whole.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I kind of understand. While I don't frequent the Kirby boards, I had the same feeling in Injustice.

The Joker boards in that game were full of people crying doom and gloom, along with people who refused tech as being viable based on the preconceived notion that the character was terrible.
This culminated in these same boards saying "plus frames are useless", so I started ignoring all of the bad advice given on the boards and ended up being the only joker player on this hemisphere to win tournaments.

I can't say how much this applies to triple R, but when the consensus denies your play style for a character, it can actually be beneficial to ignore popular opinion on forums about how the character should be played and to instead speak through results.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I honestly agree with him. Not to offend anybody here, but the Kirby boards are probably one of my least favorite character boards to come to. There's several reasons, but the biggest reason, as Triple R said, is that almost everybody here only talks about how bad Kirby is, how they wish he had buffs, and why he's so bad. Nobody ever focuses on what's good about Kirby. Not much people really even explore the character - the only people who, as far as I know, actually go further into Kirby are Asdioh, T1mmy, WootSnorlax, MikeKirby, and myself. Not trying to offend anybody, but a LOT of Kirby mains come here just to lurk and look for tips and never try to contribute. We're never going to advance if no effort is put into advancing this character. I mean, look at other character boards - almost every other character board has active discussion going on throughout each day - we get maybe one or two posts in each thread. It's pretty depressing to come here and see nothing but people complaining.

I've talked to some other Kirby mains about this a bit, but I guess I should just say it now. I don't like coming to these boards and seeing what I see. I really don't.

Also, as I'd rather not upset anybody, this IS NOT directed at anybody in general. It's directed at this charactar board as a whole.
Isn't part of developing on a character IS discussing his faults though? Kirby's just got more glaring ones. It's not like any of us hate his character but those new to mastering smash will easily find Kirby a tough play in one-on-one real quick. So of course we come here to develop and get tips. I mean, it seems unfair imo that long timers more familiar with the meta from Brawl and quickly picking up in Smash4 are so frustrated with new comers obviously coming in for tips. Don't they WANT people to play Kirby? I can understand their frustration though if they are experiencing a lot of asking and demands but I think a bit of patience should also be supplied to people new who are understandably frustrated. I'm sure there are GOOD aspects to Kirby but in order to appreciate those good aspects about Kirby, much of the deep stuff has to be mastered. It's not something obvious at first to all. It's still not something I understand completely.

If people don't want to be part of the Kirby boards because of this than so be it but it's not helping either with regards to the development of the boards either if folks aren't around. Especially those who understand the character best.

I personally can't add much because I don't have the experience and skill level to do so. If I by chance come across something odd, I'd be glad to share but I haven't.

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Kirby's not going to progress much with people being so down about him, but he's also not going to progress if people with enough skill level to do things with him don't do much on the boards either. Admittedly I don't have the confidence, knowledge or skill level to really find new tricks or advance the character.

On that note I'm going to continue to play as Kirby because he's the reason I play smash at all. It's like a Kirby game to me, and he's what makes it fun for me. Though I'm not confident or competitive enough for Tourney's, I'm in getting up their in age and have other things to worry about. Like bills, food and health. I'm a 30 year old who feels like they're going on 50! Haha.

Speaking of Kirby, I've had the urge to play through every mainline game in the series. It's too bad the multi-player ones don't have online.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Well Kirby isn't without his weaknesses, but I don't really think they're quite as glaring as people think. Yeah, his air/groundspeed could be improved and I'd love to see less start-up lag on some moves (I'm lookin' at you, dair), but I still play him because
1. I'm reasonably successful with him, and
2. I really enjoy playing as him.
3. A loss doesn't hit so hard as Kirby. I also like to play Shiek, and when I lose it really hits home. Maybe because she's meant to be top tier or something.

But yeah, if he was truly awful I doubt I'd bother with him.

Anyway, hate to get on this bandwagon, but I also don't have enough confidence in my Smash 4 abilities to contribute in the way of guides and discoveries. I've sat down and tried to hammer some combos and things out to figure out what works, but nothing I've come up with so far is original. Or good.

It does indeed seem like there's a hard core of several talented Kirby players here who do the bulk of the contributing, and a lot of people sat around bemoaning the poor little puff. But overall the fact that we're still coming up with things (LaserLockOn put out an awesome combo/edgeguarding guide just a few hours ago) encourages me nevertheless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom