• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Well I find Kirby quite good (for me). I can see why he frustrates other people to play as, since there's a pretty steep learning curve, but I still like him.

An often quoted weakness of his is a lack of speed, but I often find that works for me since it suits my abysmal reaction times. eg. when I play as Shiek I always overshoot because I can't handle my own character's speed.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Internet connection sounds more of an issue than just having a difficult time playing characters.

@ ZIO ZIO what do you do with kirby?

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Okay I've changed my mind. Little Mac goes right to the hate list, due entirely to that cute little 1-hit KO of his. It shouldn't be in Smash at all, and most certainly has no place in For Glory where 1 stock down means the end of you. Tap B and you win. It's one thing to be able to punish with a smash or combo but to punish with an instant win is just ridiculous.

Yes, I'm butthurt.

Attachments

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
That makes a lot of sense....I can see that now I've calmed down a bit hahhaha. But the fact that it exists at all still angers me!

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Toon Link. I hate Toon Link and villager so much. The wall of projectiles, difficulty of gimping, and the ability to keep out of our range constantly.

Wait, really? I always thought Kirby could only duck under projectiles!
Interesting thought, I should probably try it out.
Don't bother trying to duck it, a smart Mac will just combo it from a tilt to knock us out of our ducking animation, instead bait the Mac into using it. Roll away, use floating mind games, side step, or damage the mac until it overcharges and they lose it.

They only reason macs give me trouble is because of that stupid super armor on all their smashes, stupid damage/KO power, and their ability to outspace me before I can punish. That and for some stupid reason I seem to be the only Kirby who can't keep them off stage. Haha

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I feel a lot of Kirby users may unfortunately be highly effected by online lag and (If you are in the same boat as me) a lack of proper control. I use a Wii U Tablet because I just can't get a gamecube adapter anywhere yet. It's so frustrating. I use the tablet for now because I can set it with the 3DS controls which I'm at least familiar with. However I'd prefer a control option less pron to input lag. It astounds me how there's still a lack of the gamecube controller adapter. Than the few ones online are so expensive from people raising the prices. :/

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Math/Lucy aren't so bad but counter-spammers generally do my head in. I mean yeah, you can grab, but they have to be at massive damage to KO and the 5 min time limit in FG really works against you there.
Charge hammer flip against counter-happy players. Then you get to kill them earlier than any other character in the game, and they'll think twice before countering again.

Kirby is also one of the best characters against little mac because of his jumps. Then you quickly land and grab or bair, get him offstage and win.

I think villager's semi-fun to fight if you can get around his projectiles, but toon link projectiles seem impossible to get around.

Last edited:

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Internet connection sounds more of an issue than just having a difficult time playing characters.

@ ZIO ZIO what do you do with kirby?
I play him like I did the previous smash, which makes it jarring. I have difficulty adjusting. Not just to the new games, but to the characters, And then I'm unable to play previous games once I've adjusted. I'd need to readjust. It just makes it hard for me. Things.

I find the recovery time to all his special moves makes them pointless. I like things to happen here and now and with little in the way of getting to the next move leaving no opportunity for my opponent to get their ways in. So guess what I'm stuck with as a result of this attitude? Primarily aerials and tilts.

Also, HELLO VINYL. Didn't you used to have a different user name when we frequented /DR/ in its prime? I apologize, but I hardly remember things from that time. I have horrible short term memory. Well . . . Now that might just qualify as long term. I have horrible memory in general, then. How's things here? You a mod yet?

Wait, really? I always thought Kirby could only duck under projectiles!
Interesting thought, I should probably try it out.
Kirby can duck under quite alot. People rely on grabs. Kirby can duck under grabs. Down tilt and you can get a chance of placing your opponent on their anus for the trip up and can earn yourself a great advantage. Kirby's crouch and a great tool.

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I've been playing smash too much. I find myself ducking a lot in the Kirby games now, including when I kill a boss. Also playing return to dreamland threw my smash Kirby off a bit due to the fact Kirby has better air and ground speed in that than he does in smash. Also fighter Kirby. Rising break would make a great UP Special in Smash.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Don't bother trying to duck it, a smart Mac will just combo it from a tilt to knock us out of our ducking animation, instead bait the Mac into using it. Roll away, use floating mind games, side step, or damage the mac until it overcharges and they lose it.

They only reason macs give me trouble is because of that stupid super armor on all their smashes, stupid damage/KO power, and their ability to outspace me before I can punish. That and for some stupid reason I seem to be the only Kirby who can't keep them off stage. Haha
The tricky part isn't getting them off the stage or in the air: it's keeping them in the air. And don't feel ashamed: I also have trouble keeping them off as both Kirby and Ness, two of his worst matchups. And while his ridiculous KO power and super armor doesn't help in grabbing him, but what I'm really irritated with is that they have so little ending lag for punishing.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Our dtilt usually beats or sometimes clashes with Little Mac's dtilt. It also reset our Crouch Animation. Of course, your suggestions are correct. Remember that Little Mac can hold the KO Punch indefinitely, but can lose the move if knock down after 12 seconds of KO Punch being available.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I just tested it again, and I was able to duck under it. However, you need to be close to Mac or he'll hit you when he's swinging.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Sheesh I know people say to just grab characters like marth and lucina but I still think they're a terrible match up for Kirby. x_x I'm beating this guy with every character he picks but when he gets to shulk and ESPECIALLY marth/lucina I can't beat him with those specific characters. I hate characters with swords! Lol except Metaknight.

Also I think Hammer in the air is the good move... anyone use it?

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Sheesh I know people say to just grab characters like marth and lucina but I still think they're a terrible match up for Kirby. x_x I'm beating this guy with every character he picks but when he gets to shulk and ESPECIALLY marth/lucina I can't beat him with those specific characters. I hate characters with swords! Lol except Metaknight.

Also I think Hammer in the air is the good move... anyone use it?
In general, I also share your hatred for swordsmen, except I haven't come across a good Lucina and a good TL that doesn't constantly camp and spam like a lot of FG Links is a fun matchup in general in my opinion.

I rarely ever use hammer in the air since it doesn't seem like a lot of people fall for it.

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I've grown to really hate Toon Link, so much so just seeing him kills my interest and sours my mood. The wall of projectiles is annoying, frustrating and boring. I not fond of defensive play styles in general. It's why I stopped for glory and haven't touched it on the Wii U version.

I hated toon link in brawl as well, but for different reasons. Every Toon link player I knew back then was an asshole.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I've grown to really hate Toon Link, so much so just seeing him kills my interest and sours my mood. The wall of projectiles is annoying, frustrating and boring. I not fond of defensive play styles in general. It's why I stopped for glory and haven't touched it on the Wii U version.
hi :4tlink:

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

I hated toon link in brawl as well, but for different reasons. Every Toon link player I knew back then was an *******.
I guess I could be biased since I am a TL main too and I generally find most TL players fairly competent. I hate going up against FG Nesses because he is my best character, and it seems only a few actually know how to use him. Makes me sad :(.

I also stopped FG two weeks back, but only because most of the players would spam and it wouldn't be fun after a while. Plus, it didn't seem my skill level was improving a lot more on FG at that point.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I get disappointed when I run into Kirby's in for fun. So much hammer, cutter and stone spam. I use Ness as a secondary, but I'm not very good with him. I feel really uncomfortable with characters that aren't Kirby, so I have trouble using them, and it's rough spending time with them.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I enjoy letting Toon Link drown in wind waker.

I love Toon Link and all Zelda games. I might have mained him, if he was even remotely fun to play in this game. There's so much they could have done with the character to make him different than Link, but they just kept him as a projectile-spamming clone, due to either laziness, staying on the "safe" side, or time constraints. It would've been cool to have his Deku Leaf be his upB (a windbox shot on the ground, and a float similar to Peach's Parasol in the air) etc. he could've had so much cool stuff... then again so could Kirby.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
In general, I also share your hatred for swordsmen, except I haven't come across a good Lucina and a good TL that doesn't constantly camp and spam like a lot of FG Links is a fun matchup in general in my opinion.

I rarely ever use hammer in the air since it doesn't seem like a lot of people fall for it.
Ugh I can't stand the swords me. Their smashes are so quick and they can quick into a counter from other moves. It's terrible ;_; It makes it all the worse that I dislike fire emblem

Well I don' think hammer in the air is something you should do often but it comes out pretty fast.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I would probably love toon link if he had a different move set. That's part of why I dislike him. So much potential for attacks and specials.

Gust jar, Deku Leaf, Cane of Pacci, Roc's cape, something with the Four Sword, grapple, etc.

I forgot all of the stuff he had in minish cap, never played Phantom hourglass or spirit train.

Vaati for Smash 5

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Bah, I find toon link and link annoying as well. So much Tornado, bomarang, and bombs all at once. Dislike that character as well. I feel like the Zelda franchise is so overrated. So hit and miss with it's game and hand holdy. I luckily haven't encountered too many links online.

So many Fire Emblem characters (marth/lucina), so many little macs, so many --->>CAPTAIN FALCONS<< OMG.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Ugh I can't stand the swords me. Their smashes are so quick and they can quick into a counter from other moves. It's terrible ;_; It makes it all the worse that I dislike fire emblem

Well I don' think hammer in the air is something you should do often but it comes out pretty fast.
It's like every other character in this game has a counter. Why do so many characters have counters, seriously? Particularly problematic with Little Mac. I can outsmart a spammer, but still very annoying to deal with, outside super armor, powerful smashes, etc.

Bah, I find toon link and link annoying as well. So much Tornado, bomarang, and bombs all at once. Dislike that character as well. I feel like the Zelda franchise is so overrated. So hit and miss with it's game and hand holdy. I luckily haven't encountered too many links online.

So many Fire Emblem characters (marth/lucina), so many little macs, so many --->>CAPTAIN FALCONS<< OMG.
I find Link like 1/3 with CF 1/2 or something. Marth and Lucina combined probably are like 1/15 give or take. TL on FG are virtually nonexistent.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I fought a Wario for the first time today omg IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!! A character that is barely used! I made him rage quit I guess but damn was I was still happy he played. Sometimes you need a break from the same fighters you get all the time.

yeah it's true that FGs are a bad way to improve. I should stop playing them. You don't get enough experience, it's not a way to get feedback and learn often, and you get fighters who wait to just spam a certain strong move in their arsenal so they just sit there doing nothing.

Plus lag often and well... forget about it.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I fought a Wario for the first time today omg IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!! A character that is barely used! I made him rage quit I guess but damn was I was still happy he played. Sometimes you need a break from the same fighters you get all the time.

yeah it's true that FGs are a bad way to improve. I should stop playing them. You don't get enough experience, it's not a way to get feedback and learn often, and you get fighters who wait to just spam a certain strong move in their arsenal so they just sit there doing nothing.

Plus lag often and well... forget about it.
When I first started, I didn't have a lot of human-human interaction before, and that refine mind game skills and aerial combat skills plus combos. Now, I feel like I hit a ceiling with FG, so now I'm playing with some people from this site.

Only went up against two Warios in two months on FG. One used Wectoring, but it backfired on him cause my Ness moved in with a u-air for the kill since he was jumping to pursue him offstage and was already in good position.

...wait, why am I talking about Ness on a Kirby thread?

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
When I first started, I didn't have a lot of human-human interaction before, and that refine mind game skills and aerial combat skills plus combos. Now, I feel like I hit a ceiling with FG, so now I'm playing with some people from this site.

Only went up against two Warios in two months on FG. One used Wectoring, but it backfired on him cause my Ness moved in with a u-air for the kill since he was jumping to pursue him offstage and was already in good position.

...wait, why am I talking about Ness on a Kirby thread?
Yeah let's stick to Kirby lol. Still I know what you mean. I think it's important to go to smash events as well but there are non where I live. My co-workers and me are always playing smash but they only play it the super frantic party-way. Items, crazy stages, etc. Which isn't my favorite way to play but in a social setting I do it. I think it's Reserved who said that going to tourney events really helped him.

It's not too big a deal for me as I don't see myself having the time to progress fast if at all. I still will show up to learn or see what I can but I'm really more excited for all the Kirby pros here! I've played with Asdioh and Reserved and they're both really good *o* Also Mike Kirby's vids are great too. I'd like to see a tournament go on and root for Kirby. You have no idea how hype I was during the e3 Tournament event when a Kirby made it to the final x_x I want to see that again!

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Yeah let's stick to Kirby lol. Still I know what you mean. I think it's important to go to smash events as well but there are non where I live. My co-workers and me are always playing smash but they only play it the super frantic party-way. Items, crazy stages, etc. Which isn't my favorite way to play but in a social setting I do it. I think it's Reserved who said that going to tourney events really helped him.

It's not too big a deal for me as I don't see myself having the time to progress fast if at all. I still will show up to learn or see what I can but I'm really more excited for all the Kirby pros here! I've played with Asdioh and Reserved and they're both really good *o* Also Mike Kirby's vids are great too. I'd like to see a tournament go on and root for Kirby. You have no idea how hype I was during the e3 Tournament event when a Kirby made it to the final x_x I want to see that again!
Can't seem to find any smash events near me. Perhaps I should put more effort into searching? Anyway, the closest to a tournament I've been in was my school's video game club. Last year, we played tourney mode in Brawl twice. I used Lucas in both, and I came runner-up in the first and won the second. But then the sponsor quit mid-year and no one else has stepped up, so club is on indefinite hiatus for now. Likely until next year. Shame too.

I was pretty hyped about Kirby at the e3 tournament myself. I consider Kirby to be a secondary, but perhaps I should elevate him to main since a) I have an amiibo of him, and b) he seems better than most of my other secondaries. Yeah, just need some refinement.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Can't seem to find any smash events near me. Perhaps I should put more effort into searching? Anyway, the closest to a tournament I've been in was my school's video game club. Last year, we played tourney mode in Brawl twice. I used Lucas in both, and I came runner-up in the first and won the second. But then the sponsor quit mid-year and no one else has stepped up, so club is on indefinite hiatus for now. Likely until next year. Shame too.

I was pretty hyped about Kirby at the e3 tournament myself. I consider Kirby to be a secondary, but perhaps I should elevate him to main since a) I have an amiibo of him, and b) he seems better than most of my other secondaries. Yeah, just need some refinement.
DO IT! PLAY KIRBY! Ness is cool and I like earthbound buuuuuuut I feel like there are good Ness players out there. He's not overused like Captain Falcon or Link but people DO use him and I do encounter him online once in awhile. Needs some diversity out there! Haha

but in all honestly, play whoever you want.

I'm an adult and non college student atm so I sadly don't go to any schools and thus no smash clubs. :( I kind of live closest to Asdioh... so maybe at some con someday we can meet xD

Also do the folks who play each other here, also train with custom moves? I haven't played with them hardly cause I always just play FG.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
DO IT! PLAY KIRBY! Ness is cool and I like earthbound buuuuuuut I feel like there are good Ness players out there. He's not overused like Captain Falcon or Link but people DO use him and I do encounter him online once in awhile. Needs some diversity out there! Haha

but in all honestly, play whoever you want.

I'm an adult and non college student atm so I sadly don't go to any schools and thus no smash clubs. :( I kind of live closest to Asdioh... so maybe at some con someday we can meet xD

Also do the folks who play each other here, also train with custom moves? I haven't played with them hardly cause I always just play FG.
I doubt anyone will exceed my current skill with Ness, but I just need some work to get Kirby up into main status. I live in the Chicago suburbs. Custom moves are worthwhile knowing since they can change up a matchup dramatically sometimes.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Since many of us are Kirby amiibo owners, I'd like to share this info! Kirby and the Rainbow Curse will support amiibos. Specifically Kirby, Dedede, and Metaknight. Each amiibo will give a different kirby a unique ability and hat. With Kirby's own amiibo he gets a star and I guess he can get bigger? Metaknight's amiibo does something with his tap attack. Dedede's gives him more health

Look how cute!!

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I play him like I did the previous smash, which makes it jarring. I have difficulty adjusting. Not just to the new games, but to the characters, And then I'm unable to play previous games once I've adjusted. I'd need to readjust. It just makes it hard for me. Things.

I find the recovery time to all his special moves makes them pointless. I like things to happen here and now and with little in the way of getting to the next move leaving no opportunity for my opponent to get their ways in. So guess what I'm stuck with as a result of this attitude? Primarily aerials and tilts.
Kirby's primary ways of fighting pretty much are aerials and tilts, plus grabs. Dair is predictable. They know you want to make some serious damage in the air, so why not make the alternative from below? Either leads to them making an air dodge, which makes an easy punish? What if they jump? I would tend to follow their path. Playing the patient game can make some positive play and habits. At least, that's what I think.

Also, HELLO VINYL. Didn't you used to have a different user name when we frequented /DR/ in its prime? I apologize, but I hardly remember things from that time. I have horrible short term memory. Well . . . Now that might just qualify as long term. I have horrible memory in general, then. How's things here? You a mod yet?
From tokyogamer7 to this permanent username, yeah. This website pretty much molded me into what I am now, so I'm doing quite fine. My lucina thread became locked since it was just a character prediction turned to actual canon. For mod, it's not here. I am probably still an administrator at a tf2 game server, but the community has been rather inactive for a while, so I'm not sure.

I'm still willing to do it (which is never).

Kirbymeister

Smash Cadet
NNID
hazzahbazzah
3DS FC
3823-8971-1294
"I know the Kirby boards on Smashboards is pretty depressive, but I basically ignore it and do my own thing. I don't want to this to come off the wrong way, but I'm kinda beyond the Smashboards threads." - Triple R

Just so nobody thinks he's talking about the Melee Kirby boards, this was said specifically in a post about Smash 4.
Personally, I'm glad I read that. Means he doesn't care about people's negative opinions of Kirby.
I, for one, don't care that much about Kirby's position on the tier list. Heck, I don't even care if Kirby never wins a tournament.
I know this might sound weird to some, but I don't mind if I win or lose. Video games were designed with one goal in mind: fun.
And for me, maining Kirby is exactly that.

Top Bottom