• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Jab Lock Combo w/ Character Specific Video

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What the... none of those are legit combos. You can get out of them. Off a dthrow?!

These "combos" only work if there's no DI, teching, airdodging, aerialing, rolling or, you know, anything from the opponent. You can get out of each combo at, like, four different points by just not sucking.

The jab lock is a legit combo (and lock). These "combos" will only work on computers who do not DI (i.e. in Training Mode since Smash CPUs actually do DI to certain degrees) or anything else for that matter.

Basic

Smash Cadet
I love you Gonzo.

This combo looks great. I've already gotten used to using your F-Throw combo, now I just have to master this one and use it at the tourneys here in San Diego. :psycho:

3xSwords

Smash Lord
What the... none of those are legit combos. You can get out of them. Off a dthrow?!

These "combos" only work if there's no DI, teching, airdodging, aerialing, rolling or, you know, anything from the opponent. You can get out of each combo at, like, four different points by just not sucking.

The jab lock is a legit combo (and lock). These "combos" will only work on computers who do not DI (i.e. in Training Mode since Smash CPUs actually do DI to certain degrees) or anything else for that matter.
I have to agree that the d-throw setup is pretty easily escapable. I mean d-throw>u-tilt is actually very easy to escape via jumping if they aren't fastfallers than you would need to DI also. If they DI, d-throw setup is useless. The first setup is legit imo if you can do it quickly enough after all footstooling is untechable.

One question: I thought laser locking was banned. I know jab locking isn't but I thought laser locking was. Is it or isn't? I mean laser locking is easier but the jab locking method is best b/c you can finish with an f-smash.

All in all amazing find. I didn't know Kirby could do a footstool combo. But **** I need to pull of this stuff now.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
It's really awsome looking but i doubt anyone can acutally pull it off, you can roll out of the laying down animation way before kirby hits you with the fast falled N-air.

I learned about falco's a few days ago and was wondering if it was possible with kirby, I knew you would eventually figure something out Gonzo but sadly i dont think any of the footstool combos are inescapable.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Oh wow. I haven't had the internet in two days, and in that time Kirby's meta game evolves more than it has in the past two months. Awesome find man.
^I think the same way, I only I did not visit yesterday.

It would be nice to get confirmation. I have to take the pessimist side and agree with 3xSwords and Yuna that d-throw to u-tilt does NOT work. Just cut to the n-air-->d-tilt-->jab lock. That is IF n-air-->d-tilt and d-tilt-->jab (lock) is a true combos.

If it works, though, it would be wonderful.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I have to agree that the d-throw setup is pretty easily escapable. I mean d-throw>u-tilt is actually very easy to escape via jumping if they aren't fastfallers than you would need to DI also. If they DI, d-throw setup is useless. The first setup is legit imo if you can do it quickly enough after all footstooling is untechable.

One question: I thought laser locking was banned. I know jab locking isn't but I thought laser locking was. Is it or isn't? I mean laser locking is easier but the jab locking method is best b/c you can finish with an f-smash.

All in all amazing find. I didn't know Kirby could do a footstool combo. But **** I need to pull of this stuff now.
the dthrow is to show a generic setup, even with DI u cant DI enough to get out and Kirby's jump has a lot of range

second, Kirby can actually Gonzo combo into this with characters like snake or MK or even the space animals, trust me when i say that from the footstool on this is a combo and that with fast hands and sharp eyes not even DI can save u from the setup for the footstool

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
They can DI out of it at 30% or more. Right? Also, it may be hard to hit them with an uptilt. Would a d-throw up-tilt combo be able to work with this to get it to connect easier. Cause to me, its easier to grab someone than up-tilt somone. And down-throw to up-tilt almost always works.... especially at low %.
yeah this has to b from Zero for most characters, i think fastfalling characters have to be done at 15 or so depending on the setup

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace

this is tru but u literally have 1-2 frames to pull off a counter and thats if the Kirby player doesnt utilize all of the stun time from each attack, if u just press the buttons for the combo then they can escape with very very good timing but if the Kirby times the moves right then u cant escape. Another thing u might be able to DI after 30% or more but not from 0, Yuna u and i rarely have agreed on a single thing on smashboards. Just b/c u might not b able to perform the combo correctly doesn't make it no longer a combo, y dont u practice it for maybe 3-4 hours like i did tweak it so ur utilizing all the stun time then come back and tell me its not a combo

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The 1st setup is legit if they don't DI, aerial and/or airdodge. I mean, he did 4 moves before the footstool. 4 moves. And none of them were DI:ed. And Kirby fastfalls too slowly to hit people with Nair if they roll from what I can tell.

Simply spamming A would solve the footstooling problem since you do not get Meteored while performing a move.

the dthrow is to show a generic setup, even with DI u cant DI enough to get out and Kirby's jump has a lot of range

second, Kirby can actually Gonzo combo into this with characters like snake or MK or even the space animals, trust me when i say that from the footstool on this is a combo and that with fast hands and sharp eyes not even DI can save u from the setup for the footstool
How about video proof of yourself doing this against someone who DI's, aerials and 2nd jumps? We say it doesn't work, you claim it does. The burden of proof lies on you.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
F-throw -> U-air -> Uptilt -> Footstool -> Fast Falled N-air -> Jab lock to end of stage -> Hammer to the face.

0-death on light characters, like MK.

Also, FYI people, this "combo" is completely and totally escapable in many ways. One of the biggest problems is the footstool -> fast falled N-air part. Anybody can roll away from it quite easily.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
F-throw -> U-air -> Uptilt -> Footstool -> Fast Falled N-air -> Jab lock to end of stage -> Hammer to the face.

Also, FYI people, this "combo" is completely and totally escapable in many ways. One of the biggest problems is the footstool -> fast falled N-air part. Anybody can roll away from it quite easily.
Yuup. It takes too much time to pull off the fast falled n-air.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

Isn't the hammer so friggin' slow they can easily get out of it after the jab lock? But thank you for corroborating that the "combo" can easily be gotten out of.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
The 1st setup is legit if they don't DI, aerial and/or airdodge. I mean, he did 4 moves before the footstool. 4 moves. And none of them were DI:ed. And Kirby fastfalls too slowly to hit people with Nair if they roll from what I can tell.

Simply spamming A would solve the footstooling problem since you do not get Meteored while performing a move.

How about video proof of yourself doing this against someone who DI's, aerials and 2nd jumps? We say it doesn't work, you claim it does. The burden of proof lies on you.
so i tried this against human players and i found that its possible to do what i showed in the videos against humans however it technically isn't a combo (Yuna, sorry ur right)

so i went back into training mode to find other faster methods for setting up a footstool and i remembered wolf's setup for Nair lock so i thought i'd give that a try. and it works its a pure combo. Why its a pure combo, an opponent can't DI anywhere near the distance required to escape Kirby's footstool and they are stunned long enough for Kirby to footstool, i understand that Uair, Footstool, Fastfall Nair, dtilt, Jab lock combo is going to require some serious serious speed. I know its difficult but thats y its a combo

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
so i tried this against human players and i found that its possible to do what i showed in the videos against humans however it technically isn't a combo (Yuna, sorry ur right)
Anything's possible on a human opponent. The question is if it's possible on a human opponent who isn't an idiot and/or doesn't suck.

so i went back into training mode to find other faster methods for setting up a footstool and i remembered wolf's setup for Nair lock so i thought i'd give that a try. and it works its a pure combo. Why its a pure combo, an opponent can't DI anywhere near the distance required to escape Kirby's footstool and they are stunned long enough for Kirby to footstool, i understand that Uair, Footstool, Fastfall Nair, dtilt, Jab lock combo is going to require some serious serious speed. I know its difficult but thats y its a combo
And this is a combo? I mean, can't they just roll out of it? Or better yet, get-up attack? Since when does getting footstooled stun you for more than one second, anyway? Did your opponent mash A to try to aerial instead of airdodge?

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
lol Yuna, check out the new video and hammer is to slow to hit instead Fsmash or wait for ur opponent to roll and use hammer then cuz if they roll then Hammer has enough range to hit regardless of which way they'll roll

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol Yuna, check out the new video and hammer is to slow to hit instead Fsmash or wait for ur opponent to roll and use hammer then cuz if they roll then Hammer has enough range to hit regardless of which way they'll roll
1) The video proves what, exactly? It's still against a computer.
2) How can you state "Well, this works and this doesn't work!" with such cofidence when your testing is done only against CPUs? Have you done any testing against humans? How do you know they cannot airdodge, DI into an airdodge, aerial or whatever?
3) "They can't do an aerial because they're too close to the ground"? Umm... what? As long as you're in the air, you can start an aerial (and negate getting Meteored by the Footstool). As long as you're in the middle of doing an aerial, it doesn't matter if you're too close. You'll just land and auto-cancel it or land and lag from it while Kirby's in the air after Footstooling you. If one cannot do an aerial (because one is not in the air), then one cannot be Meteored from a Footstool either, because you do not get Meteored when Footstooled while standing.
4) Have you have someone try to (or try to do it yourself) roll or do a get-up attack after getting meteored by your Footstool, at all? I mean, get your roomate/brother/sister/parent to help you. It's not like it's hard to just press A, B, left or right on reaction or just spam A when after getting Upaired.
5) Up-tilt to Footstool does not work. You can tell by just looking at your video. Mr. Game & Watch (and everyone else) gets out of hitstun before Kirby even leaves the ground (whether you nail the Footstool or not).

I'm not saying these combos will never hit. They will if the opponent is not paying attention and doesn't know about them. But smart and good players will know about them and know to look out for them.

I cannot test this myself right now. But those so adamant on this working, please test it out. Instead of testing if it can hit, test if it can be gotten out of. Test the many suggestions I've given to how to get out of it.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Tested it, up-tilt to footstool doesnt work. (atleast not for me) They can airdodge before you get the footstool. Grant it, they have to know it's coming. I haven't been able to do the falling up air yet but im working on it.

It seems like that sadly these combos are going to have to hit the unexpected and will not be great for tournament play. It may be worth a try every once in a while but you may have better options.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I know this works gauranteed for two reasons. For starters i already know how much stun time uair causes. Given that i also know that when any character is Uair'd by Kirby at 0% they are stunned till they hit the ground. So if Kirby footstools b4 they hit the ground then obviously the Uair to Footstool part of the combo is a clean combo

Now moving on to the Nair part of the combo. I'm not sure of the reason y but when Kirby footstools after the Uair he doesn't rise as far as he would from from just a toadstool. So Kirby can is much closer to the character he he just footstooled makine the Nair part of this a combo.

The Dtiltl is a combo move b/c Nair autocancels and since i'm holding down on the control stick from fastfalling Kirby goes into the ducking animation immediatly upon hitting the ground and then does the Dtilt. (BTW this is where Luigi's physics let him escape the jab lock.

I haven't tried this against human players but i already know it will work b/c it uses the same timings as my very first Fthrow, Uair combo which i'm sure u'll agree is a legit combo.

Bascailly the Uair to Footstool Nair Dtilt is perfect so far as i have tested and my notes show. If u take footage of this or find an instance that this combo doesnt work send me a video link so i can c whether it was user error or if the combo is not really a combo.

When u ask for footage agaisnt human players. I'll get u some as soon as i master the combo. I'm sure u'll agree that this combo is extremely difficult due to the finite time required for the footstool but as soon as i get footage vs human players i'll post it.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Tested it, up-tilt to footstool doesnt work. (atleast not for me) They can airdodge before you get the footstool. Grant it, they have to know it's coming. I haven't been able to do the falling up air yet but im working on it.

It seems like that sadly these combos are going to have to hit the unexpected and will not be great for tournament play. It may be worth a try every once in a while but you may have better options.
The uptilt is character selective. Iwrote who uptilt works on and who to use a special setup for otherwise go with the falling Uair

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
The uptilt is character selective. Iwrote who uptilt works on and who to use a special setup for otherwise go with the falling Uair
Oh i see, my bad. I was doing it against a Samus. I do agree that a falling up air at 0% does stun the opponent long enough for him to land back on the ground. Given this time it is (probably) possible to footstool. I'm not sure about the fast falled N-air though. I'm not sure if the character can roll or not.

But keep working on it Gonzo, maybe the falling up air will work.

Dflected

Smash Cadet
another great find gonzo "aplause" so you just keep on doing the first two punches? do you need a wall?

Rollo

Smash Rookie
OMG this is insane. I TOTALLY had the idea of toadstool jumping someone into a jab lock and spent an hour trying to find someway to make it work. I thought it was a lost cause and didn't bother making a thread. I never thought of uair to toadstool, or nairing on my way back down. Anyway, good find. It looks like I'll have try to come up with some other combo to call my own. >_>

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
OMG this is insane. I TOTALLY had the idea of toadstool jumping someone into a jab lock and spent an hour trying to find someway to make it work. I thought it was a lost cause and didn't bother making a thread. I never thought of uair to toadstool, or nairing on my way back down. Anyway, good find. It looks like I'll have try to come up with some other combo to call my own. >_>
lol sorry dude, i actually got the idea from the wolf threads and my friend Candy who made the Nair lock combo for Wolf.

Here is actually an idea i've been trying to work on. A multihit combo that utilizes multiple Footstool jumps. i'm not sure if it can work but something to think about. Let me know what u find. I'd give u the credit if u hash out the critical parts of the combo and i find the missing link or something.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
lol sorry dude, i actually got the idea from the wolf threads and my friend Candy who made the Nair lock combo for Wolf.

Here is actually an idea i've been trying to work on. A multihit combo that utilizes multiple Footstool jumps. i'm not sure if it can work but something to think about. Let me know what u find. I'd give u the credit if u hash out the critical parts of the combo and i find the missing link or something.
I dont see how multiple footstool jumps would work because you wouldn't know which way the character would roll after being footstooled.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
U uptilt them again and follow up with another footstool, but its not a combo and i think they can DI the uptilt

Also NEW DISCOVERY AGAINST HUMAN OPPONENTS A SINGLE UPTILT WORKS AS GOOD OR BETTER THEN FALLING UAIR.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
U uptilt them again and follow up with another footstool, but its not a combo and i think they can DI the uptilt

Also NEW DISCOVERY AGAINST HUMAN OPPONENTS A SINGLE UPTILT WORKS AS GOOD OR BETTER THEN FALLING UAIR.
They can airdodge after the up-tilt but they have to know it's coming first. It could be used sparingly though. Of course, i only tested it against samus, so i may be wrong about airdodging the footstool.

My only concern is that the fastfalled n-air is not fast enough to hit your opponent before they can roll. It may have to take PERFECT timing but it could be possible.

KiraNumber7

Smash Apprentice
if i do anymore of these sick combos my fingers will fall off
i have no one 2 practice on since my brother hardly plays
can u put a list up of who it can be used on?

edit: i forgot, i cant seem 2 do this combo on any lvl 9 computers and it took me at least 10 trys 2 do it on a lvl 1
i guess i need 2 brake my fingers a bit more b4 i can do this, and about wat i said about the d-tilt i realized that lik a second after i posted it, but i find it easier 2 skip the d-tilt and go straight to the lock

and gonzo awesome discovery my friends lmao'ed when i showed them the lazer lock w/ the falco copy

<(^.^)>keep up the good work!<(^.^)>

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
if i do anymore of these sick combos my fingers will fall off
i have no one 2 practice on since my brother hardly plays
can u put a list up of who it can be used on?

edit: i forgot, i cant seem 2 do this combo on any lvl 9 computers and it took me at least 10 trys 2 do it on a lvl 1
i guess i need 2 brake my fingers a bit more b4 i can do this, and about wat i said about the d-tilt i realized that lik a second after i posted it, but i find it easier 2 skip the d-tilt and go straight to the lock

and gonzo awesome discovery my friends lmao'ed when i showed them the lazer lock w/ the falco copy

<(^.^)>keep up the good work!<(^.^)>
Well no one knows if they even work yet as a true combo, but you are in training mode aren't you? Get good at it there before you try to play a computer.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
I think the real issue here is the FF'd Nair. Can a human opponent roll away after this step?

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Well, right now its kinda your word vs everyone elses word. Until you get some footage of this working against a human, I think you're going to run into quite a few doubters. Even then you probably still will...

Nonetheless, this is still a great find, and opens the door for experimentation until we can get a perfect combo into this jab lock.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
This combo may work offline against human players. But using this combo online seems almost impossible with the lag.

Also, I tried using this against Falco, and I thought of a good and easy way to laser lock falco.
1. Suck up Falco and use his power.
2. Use Final cutter and make it hit falco
3. Now shoot that laser fast, and Falco is now being laser locked.

I tried this out when I was getting frustrated making this combo to work, and fortunately, it worked very well. And it was easy to do. This works well around low (not too low cause Falco is a fast faller) to mid percents.
This may make Kirby a true Falco counter. :)

I can try getting a video of this soon and upload it. Thats if... anybody cares? lol. ;)

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Vids or it didn't happen. ;)

What part of the cutter hits Falco? I'm assuming the up-swing or down-swing and not the projectile...

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
It was the final cutter projectile in close range. It makes Falco go in the tumble animation, and from that point you can laser lock him. And I'm not making this up. I'll get a video up as soon as I can.

Henryhta

Smash Rookie
nice! it seems hard but we can manage it :chuckle: keep up the good work.

Top Bottom