• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Everything -- Kirby Social Thread

Player -0

Smash Hero
Has Kirby always had such a powerful hitbox on his swallow? I just KO'd my friend twice in a row just by swallowing a CPU right next to him (though he was in the high 150-200% range)...
The star coming out of Kirby from a swallow has a hitbox and I know it kills EASILY at 300%.

Basic Brawl Sudden Deaths.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Here's a match with my kirby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCpz_Xcxuo (Game 1 Only)
That looks like a pretty solid start at Kirby. DDD seems like a really rough matchup; you can't really duck his projectiles, there's no way for you to really get in on him; and you can't gimp his ass at all.

Does powershielding change ownership of Waddle Dees?

B.W.

Smash Champion
I suggested that for Dedede a while ago but everyone cried "Herp derp gimmicks, Dedede doesn't need something useless"

Even though star shots have decent knockback and it'd make accidentlly inhaling stuff not such a bad thing. I'd love if Kirby AND Dedede could star shot items. It'd Dedede's a lot more useful, that's for sure.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I'm all for that skill going to both Kirby and the Big Fella. Cause really, the time delaying if you inhale an item is ridiculous. And if the item happens to be a bomb, you get the time delay AND damage.

DKMikey

Smash Journeyman
Welp, I totally stole this from the Pit boards, but Kirby can fall off the ledge and use horizontal cutter for increased ledge invincibility. As far as I know, there should be no vulnerability. (Edit: Just checked in training mode at 1/4 speed, doesn't seem to have vulnerability). Give it a shot!

Step 1: Move control stick away from the ledge
Step 2: Use horizontal cutter as fast as possible

Basically, the same way as fox/falco illusion cancel.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Welp, I totally stole this from the Pit boards, but Kirby can fall off the ledge and use horizontal cutter for increased ledge invincibility. As far as I know, there should be no vulnerability. (Edit: Just checked in training mode at 1/4 speed, doesn't seem to have an vulnerability). Give it a shot!

Step 1: Move control stick away from the ledge
Step 2: Use horizontal cutter as fast as possible

Basically, the same way as fox/falco illusion cancel.
Damnit, I just learned the timing for Pit and here you are making me do this with Kirby....back to the training mode.

Hm, this is ridiculously easy compared to Pit's. So much for worrying about learning a timing.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
So does anybody else know that kirby can chain grab samus from 0 to like 50 percent. Its highly annoying and happened to me at a tournament. Its very hard to DI out of and the only thing I cold do was hope for a nair or an up b, which leaves you wide open after another attack

Heartstring

Smash Legend
So like, I'm really liking kirby. First character I've really meshed with. I'm having 2 issues though.

1. How do I shorthop wih him? I'm having a really hard time doing it, I have to actively think about tapping the jump button really lightly and its costing me so much.

2. How do I kill with him? outside of techchases from Dthrow I can't seem to combo into any kill moves. Can I get a hand?

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
So like, I'm really liking kirby. First character I've really meshed with. I'm having 2 issues though.

1. How do I shorthop wih him? I'm having a really hard time doing it, I have to actively think about tapping the jump button really lightly and its costing me so much.

2. How do I kill with him? outside of techchases from Dthrow I can't seem to combo into any kill moves. Can I get a hand?
1. Practice. I think Kirby's short is only 3frames so you have to only be pressing the jump button for 3 frames or less to get a short hop
I suggest just going into training and try to short hop 10 times in a row. Then after that, maybe try doing short hop aerials and after that mix in short hops with full hops.

2. Side B Hammer is amazing if you can space it right. Hitting people with the tip of it does a lot of knockback.
Sometimes I can get fair to combo into Hammer, or Dash attack into a hammer (or anything really)
Other than hammer, fair and bair are both really good at gimping people since Kirby has a ton jumps
Also Up air is really strong too, especially vs lighter chars

Frost | Odds

I'm still in the works with my Kirby, so go easy on me. lol

http://youtu.be/9G9aPoTeOKg
20 seconds in, I'm already pretty impressed. :D

edit: yeah, *EASILY* the best Kirby I've seen so far, except maaaaaybe myself. I've been practicing ****loads of tech skill, but your decision making looks top notch for the most part. You're pretty greedy in g1, though, and it's gotten you killed twice so far.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I'll go one further. Go to training mode. And set speed to 1.5 times. Then you'll only have 2 frames to short hop. Do what JayMan-X says from there. Then, when you're at normal speeds, you actually have more leniency with your short hop.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
1. Practice. I think Kirby's short is only 3frames so you have to only be pressing the jump button for 3 frames or less to get a short hop
I suggest just going into training and try to short hop 10 times in a row. Then after that, maybe try doing short hop aerials and after that mix in short hops with full hops.

2. Side B Hammer is amazing if you can space it right. Hitting people with the tip of it does a lot of knockback.
Sometimes I can get fair to combo into Hammer, or Dash attack into a hammer (or anything really)
Other than hammer, fair and bair are both really good at gimping people since Kirby has a ton jumps
Also Up air is really strong too, especially vs lighter chars
Okay, makes sense. It explains why I have a hard time though as I can barely even short hop with the 5-frame characters in brawl. Dyspraxia makes this sort of thing hard.

Still, By 'how do i kill with him?' I really ought to have said 'What combo's can I do into kill moves?' I'm already solid at landing moves raw (Got brawl to thank for that) but I would like to know what I can combo from, on who, and at what percentages.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Watch that Kirby video Mr. ButterFuzz posted. He does a few combos utilizing d-airs that could be worth looking into. Using Side-B in the air also cancels out really well into the ground and you can go from there.

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
Okay, makes sense. It explains why I have a hard time though as I can barely even short hop with the 5-frame characters in brawl. Dyspraxia makes this sort of thing hard.

Still, By 'how do i kill with him?' I really ought to have said 'What combo's can I do into kill moves?' I'm already solid at landing moves raw (Got brawl to thank for that) but I would like to know what I can combo from, on who, and at what percentages.
I'm not sure what percents and what characters it works on, but both dash attack and a low-to-the-ground horizontal Up B set up for Up airs and Hammers
Other than that i don't really know... I usually get most of my kills off gimps and edgeguarding

Fairs combos into itself nicely, and sometimes i can carry people all the way offstage to death, but i feel like that's something that can be DI'd out of...

Ginge

Smash Ace
Oh, is Kirby a bit like marth then, relies on edgeguards to get kills? works for me lol
Kirby is a gimping machine. His d-air spikes on multiple hit boxes. He's kinda like Jiggles with her Wall Of Pain with his upgraded b-air and f-air. With the ability to spike downwards (d-air), launch upwards (u-air), and having better vertical recovery than Jiggles ever could hope for. And his Up-B and d-tilt spike/gimp well from on the stage.

Personally, I would not want to be Ness trying to recover against a Kirby.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I was able to do an Invincible FC Teleport on Distant Planet, im glad that carried over from Brawl. We need to look into how to do this consistently b/c it is a very good edge mixup. And its 2x better than in Brawl because you can get off the ledge a lot faster, which will confuse your opponent with speed.

FC Teleport btw (Also called Quick Cutter) is when you are on the ledge. Hold sideways to get off. And almost immediately press Up-B to use FC while moving forward (dont hold B or it will Cutter Dash). Kirby will then instantly be on top of the edge sending the FC projectile. Basically it skips the whole rising and falling animation of FC and cuts straight to the projectile.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Oh, I've done that a few times on accident. It seems like something that can come in handy.

Kirby has a lot of nifty edge tricks in this game.

Frost | Odds

I was able to do an Invincible FC Teleport on Distant Planet, im glad that carried over from Brawl. We need to look into how to do this consistently b/c it is a very good edge mixup. And its 2x better than in Brawl because you can get off the ledge a lot faster, which will confuse your opponent with speed.

FC Teleport btw (Also called Quick Cutter) is when you are on the ledge. Hold sideways to get off. And almost immediately press Up-B to use FC while moving forward (dont hold B or it will Cutter Dash). Kirby will then instantly be on top of the edge sending the FC projectile. Basically it skips the whole rising and falling animation of FC and cuts straight to the projectile.
Oh, super, *MORE* tech to practice

B.W.

Smash Champion
So playing ZSS the other day, her copy ability is amazing right now. Like Kirby with ZSS' stun gun makes the matchup stupid hard for ZSS because normal shots paralyze. It's fun.

On the other hand, Samus' blast has a lot of weird stuff that happens to it. I've lost fully charged shots for no reason before.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
more techskill for the techskill god

MORE

they're taking away the need for my fancy cutter dash next patch, I need more tech to make up for this

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
you can sidecutter properly on the ground in 3.0b

whereas rn you have to do shorthop -> instantly going sidecutter which is fun techskill shenanigans

Ginge

Smash Ace
Currently, the only way to Cutter Dash "on the ground" is to short hop, Up-B -> Side B and you'll dash forward.

It was confirmed that in the patch, you'll actually be able to Cutter Dash on the ground (no need to short hop).

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Lol Idk if im happy or disappointed by that. I was able to master Cutter Dash on the 1st frame of my jump, making it look like I never left the ground... and I could instantly land and do it again in about 5 frames. Now Everyone Can Do It!!!... even noobs who will probably spam it!!!!! :facepalm:
I'm trying to get my B-reversal hammer and wavebounce 100% consistent, it's HARD
PM extended the timing for those by 1 frame, it shouldnt be that difficult. Just do it one way and then instantly do it the other way.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Lol Idk if im happy or disappointed by that. I was able to master Cutter Dash on the 1st frame of my jump, making it look like I never left the ground... and I could instantly land and do it again in about 5 frames. Now Everyone Can Do It!!!... even noobs who will probably spam it!!!!! :facepalm:
Well, you'll always be able to bust out doing Final Cutter / Cutter Dash BACKWARDS. You do need a bit of timing/skill in order to do those.

Ginge

Smash Ace
But why would you cutter dash at ground level? I think dash attack is almost strictly better?
You wouldn't necessarily want to Cutter Dash at ground level. But it would put a little bit of variance into Up-B's usefulness on the ground. The nice thing about Cutter Dash is it makes his Up-B slightly less predictable. Having more variations for it could be nice.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
But why would you cutter dash at ground level? I think dash attack is almost strictly better?
Mixups/Mindgames

If you always approached with DA, they'll catch on. (Im not saying I do this) With FC, you could either do it normally or FC, which can confuse the opponent baiting them to stay in their sheild.

Its also quicker! In Brawl, Falco had his Phantasm and DACUS and sometimes Phantasm was the better option. Same goes here. (That was kind of a bad comparison but I couldnt think of anything else)
Well, you'll always be able to bust out doing Final Cutter / Cutter Dash BACKWARDS. You do need a bit of timing/skill in order to do those.
Wait, how is Cutter Dash backwards hard. Unless im not understanding you, isnt it just a CD in the opposite way you were originally facing. Idk... to me that is easy to do.

Top Bottom