• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby...Disadvantages??

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Alright sounds good, i can't wait too see the vids, that one will settle it for sure.. you present your arguement well however Buttcrust so lets see what happens.

D

Deleted member

ok well im here to defend the dream warrior :D

kirby is really good u have to use him right, just like T!mmy does :D (type T!mmy(kirby) in youtube/google video and u'll see how hard he pwns)

to be good with kirby u need to learn how to short hop and use his attacks right like the bair, uair, uptilt and forward tilt

about the edgeguarding thing, kirby is pretty good at edgeguarding becuz if they try to get back on the stage KIRBYCIDE FTW :D....that or just keep spamming your up B and they'll eventually give up hope :]

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
kirby is really good u have to use him right
Kirby is a horrible character. With any character you have to play them to their strengths, which would probably be using them correctly, but having said that Kirby is a very, very far cry from "really good". He has a great deal of issues and nothing particularly redeeming about himself.
to be good with kirby u need to learn how to short hop and use his attacks right like the bair, uair, uptilt and forward tilt
You need to be able to short hop with every character. Yes, every character. Even Samus. Kirby's tilts aren't bad but they're lacking something to make them stand out like an obscene range, disproportionate damage output, combo-potential or what have you. Also his tilts still don't remedy his hideous problems with projectile spam, the fact that he's approach ******** and lacks a way to kill someone that doesn't involve the edge of a stage. His aerial game is decent, but once again he still has range issues, can't force approach, handles projectile spam poorly, dies easily, has poor recovery and doesn't have speed or good close-range combat tricks to make up for his prolific and crippling faults.
about the edgeguarding thing, kirby is pretty good at edgeguarding becuz if they try to get back on the stage KIRBYCIDE FTW :D....that or just keep spamming your up B and they'll eventually give up hope :]
I'd think that b-airing (or using d-air in some cases) to just kill them rather than do funny-yet-avoidable stuff like the cutter would be smarter given that it's not easy to get someone off the edge with Kirby in the first place.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
From what I've heard before Kirby is the Currently the hardest character to win a tournament with. Although he isn't the worst character in the game(which he should be).

D

Deleted member

gimpy how can u bash on kirby so much? he's a pretty good character at least better than bowser... and that wasnt an insult if u try to flame me, its my opinion

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
no kirby is pretty bad. bowser could be better but we have to wait for t!mmy and gimpy to duke it out in a few epic battles of epic proportions inorder to know who really is better.

D

Deleted member

im betting on T!mmy!!!

sry gimpy :\ at least ur my favorite bowser player!

D

Deleted member

this is one thing that a lot of ppl say but dont back up "skill >>>>tiers"

if thats true wouldnt some1 with a lot of skill and strats. make it possible to take on like ken or bombsoldier with kirby? :\ idk just wondering...

becuz if theres 3 ppl in the world that i've seen play melee and actually back up skill is greater than tiers is T!mmy with kirby O_o, T0mmy with pichu >_>, or taj with mewtwo O_O

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Nope dear god no

Look much love to Taj's M2 T!mmy's kirby My Boozer, Gimpy's Boozer, Tommy's Pichu

But we would all get ****ED up by Ken, BS

In truth at Peak Metagame

Tiers= Deciding factor

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
KevinM's post holds veracity. Skill is a decisive factor, but when players of equal, high skill play, character advantages are glaringly obvious.

We'll see how things change when Brawl comes out, though. ;)

KSUkid

Smash Apprentice
The tiers will just be in a different order in Brawl :D
Nintendo might take a page from the DOA:2 Ultimate idea and have downloads that can adjust tiers by weakening the "00ber tier" characters.

But to be on topic, at lower levels, any character has a chance (Shiek tends to have the best), but once the skills go up, the major flaws of a character (speed, power, etc) are magnified more than the benifits.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Kirby doesn't have enough jumps. Seriously Falco jumps higher and is more manuverable

The tiers will just be in a different order in Brawl :D
Nintendo might take a page from the DOA:2 Ultimate idea and have downloads that can adjust tiers by weakening the "00ber tier" characters.

But to be on topic, at lower levels, any character has a chance (Shiek tends to have the best), but once the skills go up, the major flaws of a character (speed, power, etc) are magnified more than the benifits.
If they do implement that, I hope that they don't do it until well after the game's release, otherwise it'll mostly be based on people's whining about Zomg cheapness.

Samochan

Smash Master
A character is only the extension of your own skill. Skills matter more than tiers when you can handle your character thoroughly, but when your character lacks neccesary qualities that'll enable you to draw fort your maximum potential, the battle is significantly harder against those characters with those good qualities your character lacks. So in the peak of this metagame, where everyone is very highly skilled, characters, counters, strategies and stages can play a major role on who wins the match. This is why kirby doesn't fare well at the peak of this metagame, since he lacks neccesary qualities to draw out neccesary output and skill from the player itself. For example, against Falco, peach can stop his pillaring attempts with a simple nair from her shield, but kirby doesn't have that luxury and is forced to evade. The poor guy is too disadvantaged. :<

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The only way to figure out how bad Bottom Tier characters are is to compare who sucks less against other bad characters.

Kirby/Pichu vs Mewtwo = Kirby does better
Kirby/Pichu vs Bowser = Kirby does better
Kirby/Pichu vs Kirby = Pichu does better (slightly)
Kirby/Pichu vs Pichu = Pichu does better (slightly)

Thus, Kirby > Pichu... but not by much.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Haha T!mmy if it makes you feel any better it was a helluva try.. i still think pichu is better IMO though.. he's faster has a better and more unpredictable recovery and has some good kill moves.. kirby.. well doesn't

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
I think Pichu is a better character than Kirby, but I think Kirby has better matchups overall. Although I won't claim to know Pichu that well... at all.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but Pichu is just a clone ! And Kirby has no clones !!!

Ok, that was not a real argument... :ohwell:

Sliq

Smash Master
Low tiers run off of pure mind games, which is why I love them so much.

Kirby would be relatively better if Hal didn't do things like allowing people to break out of his throws and making Kirby lose his jumps when he throws (wtf is this garbage). I understand they wanted to nerf him, but seriously, why the hell can't I jump after the throws...that's ridiculous. I understand that they made his throw able to be broken out of so Kirby wouldn't Kirbicide at low damages, but this is still pretty silly.

If only Kirby could tech chase with his down throw...

Samochan

Smash Master
If only Kirby could tech chase with his down throw...
He can, but with the long and fast tech rollers like C.Falcon, you need to really predict where they are going to tech roll and it becomes even more difficult to try and predict their rolls when they don't tech. But it's certainly possibly, I like to regrab foxes especially on low% over and over again. :p

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Pichu pros & cons (compared to Kirby)

Pros:
Pichu is smaller, making him harder to hit.
Pichu is faster, allowing him to combo more easily and better avoid "camping" problems.
Pichu's recovery is much, much better.

Cons:
Pichus' attacks are really lacking in reach.
A good number of Pichus' attacks damage him.
Pichu is ridiculously light-weight

People are free to draw their own conclusions with this. But from what I know of Pichu & Kirby, Pichu is definately worse, overall.

Tha L@wl

Smash Journeyman
omg....my kirby is 20 times better than my pichu....ill take back all the stuff i said about him and bowser....

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
kirby is slightly worse than pichu IMO, both are useless pieces of garbage though XD

love the sig tommy
Agreed. :p

Pichu is just too effing light and self-infliction doesn't help.

Kirby is nearly as light, only his recoveries make him an easy target.

Pichu is tiny. Kirby's crouch makes him invulnerable to even-ground lasers.

As quoted aboved. They both are usless. xD

Top Bottom