• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kingdom Hearts (All games)

Veetaak

Smash Lord
So I noticed the Kingdom Hearts threads were all very outdated and I want to discuss the games so I made a new and fresh thread.

I recently played Kingdom Hearts 2 again after "studying" the whole story of the game. I have personally only played Kingdom hearts 1 and 2 so I watched EVERY english cutscene for the other games (358/2 days, bbs, chain of memories and coded) because I wanted to figure everything out.

The story in the game is seriously by far my favorite in any game. I love how they focused on darkness and light not just as the typical "good and evil" but how they made darkness something even the good characters could control and still be considered "good" as long as they didn't succumb to it.

I also love how they made everyone consist of 3 things; A heart, a body and a soul. The heart is put forth as not just an organ but as something that holds both light and darkness and if it gets corrupted by the darkness then it will create a heartless which is a creature lacking both body and soul. The body and soul left without a heart then creates a nobody.

Without a heart the creature (nobody) cannot feel any emotions but still keep it's memories and inteligence from his somebody.

The heartless on the other and are just mindlessly trying to steal people's heart if there is any light in it.

The nobodies created when strong hearted persons became heartless are stronger, more powerful nobodies and 13 of these created this organization. Their mission as you probably know is to complete Kingdom Hearts by releasing the hearts that the heartless stole. If Kingdom Hearts is complete the nobodies will gain hearts again making them "truely exist" They realize that the only way to do that is to use the Keyblade. Roxas is the only one in the organization capable of using a keyblade so Xemnas uses him to kill these heartless. Another organization member tries to lure Sora in to Castle Oblivion after he awakes so that he can manipulate Sora with the help of Kairi's nobody. His plan is then to complete Kingdom Hearts by himself but he is later layed to rest by a fellow org. member as they found out he was a traitor.

I really like how because of this the game is pretty much sperated into 3 "teams" The nobodies, the heartless and the somebodies.

No one is on anothers side, the nobodies mission requires the heartless to die, the heartless mission requires the somebodies to "die" and the somebodies fight both the heartless and the nobodies.

Hmm... I haven't really said my opinions on the game so far so I'll make it easy.

I love this about the game (Not in any order):

1. That the heart is a symbol which represents feelings, being somebody and how it can be transfered to other bodies.

2. Light and darkness , how it affects people and how both always will exist.

3. How much I feel for the Organization. They are just nobodies trying to be somebodies but they can't do their mission without causing chaos through out the worlds. (This adds to the personal emotions towards the game)

4. Keyblades. They are awesome and unique

5. How well they can mix a Final Fantasy style game with Disney is amazing. However I don't like for example that Donald, Mickey and Goofy were in the ending scene of KH2. It kind of ruined the atmosphere when Sora, Riku and Kairi finally got together again.

6. The friendship between some people in this game. I'm especially looking at Axel and Roxas friendship and how I get all sad when Roxas can't remember Axel when he is in the simulated version of Twilight Town. Sora, Kairi and Riku's friendship with eachother is my favorite though. How Sora promises to Kairi that they will be together again after being seperated and how he holds on to Kairi's lucky charm through his rough journey and then shows it to Kairi at the end of KH2. Also: I really like Naminé as a character. Both her and Roxas are special nobodies not taking form of their sombodies as their "heart releasers" were Sora for Kairi and Kairi for Sora.

7. I love Riku's and personal struggle with the darkness inside of him. I support his decision of taking the middle road (The twilight path between light and dark) making darkness something that he can control without being consumed by it at the end of Chain of Memories.

8. How the story doesn't begin with Sora's journey in KH1 but with Terra, Ventus and Aqua in BBS. It's really confusing at first to try to piece the story together but when you actually take time and go through all games and the cutscenes it all makes sense.

9. I like how Aqua, Terra and Ventus connects their hearts with Kairi, Riku and Sora, making them able to use the keyblade. (I especially love the scene where Sora, as a kid, feels that someone is hurting (Ventus) in another world so he opens up his heart (not literally LOL) and lets Ventus heart rest within him and how this affects Roxas look.

10. The Ansem Reports. I love that they made a report within the game made by Ansem the Wise so that you can further understand how Xehanort became a heartless aswell as a nobody and how Sora and Kairi's nobodies isn't like the rest.

I came up with 10 different things I love about the game. It would be cool to hear other Kingdom Hearts fans opinion about the game. I really need to sleep now (It's 5am here)

Probably alot of typos and stuff in there and me just going off about the story instead of my opinion but I'm really tired and I cba to edit this now.

PLEASE DISCUSS :bee:

John2k4

The End of an Era
I love the KH series, even though I have only spend a few hours on one of the PS2 games, and have beaten 358/2. Having watched the games, I really want to get back into them soon. :)

358/2 was quite fun, seemed a bit grind-y at times. I loved the cutscenes, which were pre-rendered videos, since they still looked really cool on the DS.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I love the KH series, even though I have only spend a few hours on one of the PS2 games, and have beaten 358/2. Having watched the games, I really want to get back into them soon. :)

358/2 was quite fun, seemed a bit grind-y at times. I loved the cutscenes, which were pre-rendered videos, since they still looked really cool on the DS.
;)

I don't know how good the gameplay of the other games are. (BBS, CoM and days) so I haven't spend any money on it yet because I could still find out about the story through youtube.

One thing I forgot is the music. The music in this game is seriously imo better than Zelda. I will probably get some ppl flaming me for that but srsly, Sanctuary and Simple and Clean are such good theme songs for the games. Then you also have "Dearly Beloved", The characters theme music etc which are all great.

Glad to see such a fast response :)

John2k4

The End of an Era
358/2 was a really nice game, posting about it actaully makes me want to replay it... :p

It had the standard set of spells and such, but the storyline was ...without ruining it for anyone who hasn't played the game... definitely something else. Something that was still amazing. :)

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Man, I really need to replay these sometime, the only one I've played so far was Kingdom Hearts 1.

Just wondering, just because the other thread is outdated, does that mean this thread should be done??

We have this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=21155

and this RECENT one: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311187
I don't just want to talk about the new KH game and I also thought that the first link was very spread out (made in 2002) and pretty dead.

Kingdom Hearts 1 was the first game I played and it was at my friends house. At the time I didn't really care or bothered with the storyline but the gameplay was super fun so I bought KH2.

Some years after me completing KH2 I decided to "study" the whole storyline because I had recently started thinking about the game again and there was so many questions I wanted answers for :p

For those who have played bbs,com and 358/2 days, how is the gameplay in those games?

SwampertTheGreat

Smash Ace
I don't just want to talk about the new KH game and I also thought that the first link was very spread out (made in 2002) and pretty dead.

Kingdom Hearts 1 was the first game I played and it was at my friends house. At the time I didn't really care or bothered with the storyline but the gameplay was super fun so I bought KH2.

Some years after me completing KH2 I decided to "study" the whole storyline because I had recently started thinking about the game again and there was so many questions I wanted answers for :p

For those who have played bbs,com and 358/2 days, how is the gameplay in those games?
358/2 is a horrible mess. BBS on the other hand is amazing gameplay wise. The gameplay in that game is the best its been in the entire series imo

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
;)

I don't know how good the gameplay of the other games are. (BBS, CoM and days) so I haven't spend any money on it yet because I could still find out about the story through youtube.
Gameplay for the handhelp Kingdom Hearts from best to worst are as follows, according to the majority of players:

- Birth by Sleep
- 358/2 Days
- Chain of Memories
- Re:Coded

I have to agree, since I've played them all, and Birth by Sleep is my favorite of the handhelds, though that may change with Dream Drop Distance (Neku, from "The World Ends with You" is gonna be in that one! <333). :3

One thing I forgot is the music. The music in this game is seriously imo better than Zelda. I will probably get some ppl flaming me for that but srsly, Sanctuary and Simple and Clean are such good theme songs for the games. Then you also have "Dearly Beloved", The characters theme music etc which are all great.
Well, when a game is composed by Yoko Shimomura, the same composer behind Super Mario RPG, Parasite Eve, Mario & Luigi, and Legend of Mana (to name a few), you know you have a hell of a composer. :D

Also, "Dearly Beloved" from Kingdom Hearts happens to be her favorite track she composed for a video game.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Gameplay for the handhelp Kingdom Hearts from best to worst are as follows, according to the majority of players:

- Birth by Sleep
- 358/2 Days
- Chain of Memories
- Re:Coded

I have to agree, since I've played them all, and Birth by Sleep is my favorite of the handhelds, though that may change with Dream Drop Distance (Neku, from "The World Ends with You" is gonna be in that one! <333). :3

Well, when a game is composed by Yoko Shimomura, the same composer behind Super Mario RPG, Parasite Eve, Mario & Luigi, and Legend of Mana (to name a few), you know you have a hell of a composer. :D

Also, "Dearly Beloved" from Kingdom Hearts happens to be her favorite track she composed for a video game.
I wish I had a psp so I could play all games :(

Sometimes I sit and stare at the menu screen on KH2 just to hear the beautiful music =]

How is the gameplay on the handhelds compared to the ones on playstation?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I wish I had a psp so I could play all games :(
Well, you may as well get a 3DS, if you haven't already for the DS KH games, and the upcoming KH 3D. O:

Sometimes I sit and stare at the menu screen on KH2 just to hear the beautiful music =]
I do the same thing. XD

How is the gameplay on the handhelds compared to the ones on playstation?
They vary from game to game:

Birth by Sleep is definitely similar to a console Kingdom Hearts, which is great.

358/2 Days is also similar to a console KH game.

Chain of Memories is very different, as you use decks of cards to dictate what attack you'll use and what type of attack it is. Definitely different, but not too bad. You can also get Re:Chain of Memories on the PS2, which controls similar to KH1, but the card battle system still remains.

Re:Coded tries to be a console Kingdom Hearts, but the clunky controls, platforming, and puzzle aspect makes it fall flat overall. It contributes little to the story, which is a letdown, but the ending helps make up for it by setting the stage for Kingdom Hearts 3D.

That pretty much sums it up.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Is it me or why do all the boxarts for this game look like it's a 15 year old who drew these who's going through some angst phase or something?

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Well damn! I wish I could've drawn like that when I was 15! XD
I was thinking the same. ^^

I can understand how BBS is similar to kh1 and 2 in that you travel to different Disney worlds etc

I have always wondered how much gameplay there is to Chain of Memories because from the cutscenes it looks like the whole game takes place in Castle Oblivion and that you only get to battle Org members and Riku replica.

Someone please correct me or confirm it =]

Also: I do have a Nintendo DS. Is any of the games availible on it? I'm not too keen on buying it though but it would be nice to know if I have that choice.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I was thinking the same. ^^

I can understand how BBS is similar to kh1 and 2 in that you travel to different Disney worlds etc

I have always wondered how much gameplay there is to Chain of Memories because from the cutscenes it looks like the whole game takes place in Castle Oblivion and that you only get to battle Org members and Riku replica.

Someone please correct me or confirm it =]

Also: I do have a Nintendo DS. Is any of the games availible on it? I'm not too keen on buying it though but it would be nice to know if I have that choice.
Chain of Memories takes place entirely in Castle Oblivion, but you travel to fragments of worlds from Kingdom Hearts 1 via memories (hence the subtitle), and fight bosses from said Disney worlds, like Jafar in Agrabah, or Ursula in Atlantica, etc.. The games available on the DS include 358/2 Days and Re:Coded. I guess Chain of Memories count, if you include the GBA slot in the old DS and DS Lite. Or you can get a 3DS to get Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance out of the way as well.
ok, you get what I meant by that, anybody of any age then. I mean it looks like someone who was trying to be all edgy and cool who draws these covers :/
I think it's safe to say that a lot of Tetsuya Nomura's box art designs go for that element.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Ah, okay. Thx for your answer :)

I remember when I defeated Sephiroth at a low lvl on proud mode in KH2. It felt so rewarding after all those failed attempts with him being under one health bar alot of times. Other than that I didn't really die in KH2 on proud mode except a few times on Xemnas because not knowing the battle at first actually cost me my life :p

I can't really remember everything from kh1 since it was such a long time ago I played it but I kinde remember that Sephiroth was difficult there too.

I've heard that Terra in kh2fm is difficult (on critical mode) but I can't confirm this

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Ah, okay. Thx for your answer :)

I remember when I defeated Sephiroth at a low lvl on proud mode in KH2. It felt so rewarding after all those failed attempts with him being under one health bar alot of times. Other than that I didn't really die in KH2 on proud mode except a few times on Xemnas because not knowing the battle at first actually cost me my life :p

I can't really remember everything from kh1 since it was such a long time ago I played it but I kinde remember that Sephiroth was difficult there too.

I've heard that Terra in kh2fm is difficult (on critical mode) but I can't confirm this
I believe Terra is the most difficult boss in KH2: Final Mix, with the data battles for the Organization XIII members being the second hardest. If you really want a difficult game though, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep on Critical Mode is also the way to go. The final boss becomes hard enough, but it's the optional superbosses that will kick your *** until you crap your teeth. XD

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
I, personally, liked all of the KH games except for Chain of Memories and that's just because I don't think that card-style games should be played on the consoles. The hand-held version is perfectly fine, though I have beat it on both. I love the story and the characters. I have yet to beat 358/2 because I am stuck on Beasts castle where you fight that heartless on the bridge. I have not played Birth by Sleep but I really want to.

I think KH2 was my favorite because the battle system flowed very well, especially along with the added drive forms. I still have yet to beat Sephiroth in that even though I am on easy and level 95.

The depth the creators have put into this game, the story, and all of the backstories is amazing as well, and I like how they intertwine the classic Disney characters to make their own story and yet keep the old almost the same as they were.

D

Deleted member

I believe Terra is the most difficult boss in KH2: Final Mix, with the data battles for the Organization XIII members being the second hardest. If you really want a difficult game though, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep on Critical Mode is also the way to go. The final boss becomes hard enough, but it's the optional superbosses that will kick your *** until you crap your teeth. XD
Terra's final boss in Birth By Sleep is pretty ridiculous, too.

But yeah, BBS is by far my favorite game in the series. Excelled in both Gameplay and Story, and the music was amazing, too.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i need to play BBS

i was stoked when i saw re:coded used the BBS battle system (esque, minus reactions, which i never liked)

so far either KH1 or 358/2 days was the most challenging (and hence most fun - to me, at least)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The last in the series I played was 358/2 days, and I disliked it so intensely compared to the enjoyment I got out of 1 and 2 that I'm essentially done with the series.

Darknessheartsoraheartsoradarknessriku blah blah blah. Any substance or story the game has is ruined by the depth they try to give it now. Maybe future games will change this but I'm really losing faith in Square nowadays.

At least Aqua is hot.

D

Deleted member

You REALLY need to give BBS a chance...358/2 days was pretty bad.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
If SE would only release all the Sony KH games with trophies, I'd play all these. Or even just on the ps3, really. I'm not getting a psp or ps2 for this... D:

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I have 1 chest left to find in KH2. It's somewhere in Twilight Town but I don't know where and it's getting frustrating XD

What's your favorite keyblade?

Appearance: Oathkeeper
In Combat: Fenrir

yani_

Smash Ace
I wish they'd just get on with KH3 already. I got too overwhelmed with all of the other games. Chain of memories was pretty cool, I have 358/2 but I never even bothered to get the BBS one.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I finally found the last chest in the game xD

It was hiding behind a tiny wall in Twilight Town

Too bad it was just a mythril shard or something :(

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If SE would only release all the Sony KH games with trophies, I'd play all these. Or even just on the ps3, really. I'm not getting a psp or ps2 for this... D:
Actually, Nomura expressed interest in releasing an HD port of KH1 for the PS3 with trophies for the 10th anniversary of the series as some point either before or after the release of KH3D. If they do go through with it, it will be released at some point in 2012.
I wish they'd just get on with KH3 already. I got too overwhelmed with all of the other games. Chain of memories was pretty cool, I have 358/2 but I never even bothered to get the BBS one.
BBS is definitely worth it. It not only explain origins and give a better understanding behind certain characters and scenarios, but its quality is comparable to a main series console game. Also, Nomura said they'd start work on KH3 after they finish with Kingdom Hearts 3D.

EDIT: On a somewhat related note, here's a video I JUST stumbled upon. How I never knew about it sooner is beyond me. X3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qNseaBSP1M&feature=related

And here's another one that my cousin showed me via Facebook...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V2oD7Fg9jBA

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Have you guys seen "Demyx Time"?

I didn't know about it until recently. It is basically a Kingdom Hearts cosplay series on youtube. The content is completely random and although it's definitely KH related, they mix it in with the real world.

I think it's awesome but they made their last episode a few days ago :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVABjCqQU0E (Last episode, part 1 but you'll get the drill from watching this)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Have you guys seen "Demyx Time"?

I didn't know about it until recently. It is basically a Kingdom Hearts cosplay series on youtube. The content is completely random and although it's definitely KH related, they mix it in with the real world.

I think it's awesome but they made their last episode a few days ago :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVABjCqQU0E (Last episode, part 1 but you'll get the drill from watching this)
Funny how I've never heard of this series. I shall indeed check it out.

Also, for KH3D, they confirmed some more Disney worlds, including one based off The Sowrd in the Stone, Dumbo, and The Jungle Book.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Funny how I've never heard of this series. I shall indeed check it out.

Also, for KH3D, they confirmed some more Disney worlds, including one based off The Sowrd in the Stone, Dumbo, and The Jungle Book.
Cool =)

Although for the future KH games I will most likely only follow the cutscenes if it adds anything towards the main storyline.

Also, I feel sorry for all Organization XIII members because all they want is to be somebody again and they can't really do it without causing harm and chaos to others. Such a bad situation to be in :(

Veetaak

Smash Lord
love the music but the game is hard=)

The music is freakin amazing, idd

And which game do you think is hard? :)

Certain bosses are really though to beat on the highest difficulty, I will agree on that. I used to have more trouble when I was younger but you generally get better at all video games as you play more and just get older and smarter :p

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I"m tempted to try birth by sleep on critical mode with the zero xp thing on. But idk it sounds like it would be next to impossible.

blind_angel16

Smash Cadet
I wish the series wasn't split up into so many different game systems. Played all PS2 and DS (along with Gameboy Advance KH:CoM) games on Proud, or Hard on the games where Proud wasn't available, but still haven't been able to play KH:BBS or KH:DDD (has it come out yet?) because I lack both a PSP and a 3DS. :(

I would really like to try the Final Mixes. :)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
♥ Hehe, i'm still waiting for a possble KH3 which should have been on the PS3 by now, I mean the handhelds are probably good and all, but the console one's seem to better appeal to me, at least visually, the music is amazing though.

I'm definetly going to start playing KH2 very soon. ★

blind_angel16

Smash Cadet
♥ Hehe, i'm still waiting for a possble KH3 which should have been on the PS3 by now, I mean the handhelds are probably good and all, but the console one's seem to better appeal to me, at least visually, the music is amazing though.

I'm definetly going to start playing KH2 very soon. ★
Eh, kind of hoping it would be on something I already have, but good luck with that one, lol.

I highly recommend playing KH2. :)

I agree with you about the console vs. handheld thing. The consoles have far better graphics, but the musical quality is about even in both. But what's better than being able to take Kingdom Hearts with you wherever you go? :bee:

Top Bottom