• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
He is very skilled our Krazy Kroc, its like someone who speaks 4 different languages:

View attachment 198617

It is pretty funny considering back in the speculation days, some of the flimsy arguments put forth by some of the fried eggs who populate this site, spewed that if K. Rool got in that:

- No one would use him
- He would not be popular enough
- No one would stick around to discuss the character

Plus apparently he wasn't memorable. Plenty of people eating humble banana cream pie now.

Granted, he doesn't show up online as much as Inkling or the Fire Emblem crew but you encounter the odd Kroc here and there.
Someone once argued that the King shouldn't be in the game because he would just be low tier. Funny enough, they were kinda right, BUT ***** WHO CARES WE GOT OUR KROC KING IN AND ROYALTY TRANSCENDS TIERS

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
again Any K.Rool Showing at tournaments is good at this point and the more of those we see the higher the chance of K.Rool finding some modest success somewhere and maybe one day after a buff or two The Smash Community will stop laughing at K.rool and proclaiming him to be the joke tier character

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I just watched a really cool video today about how upstart Tekken player Rangchu completely upended the tierlist of Tekken 7 by winning the Tekken championship with previously considered lowtier Panda.

...Anybody want to convince Rangchu to play Smash Ultimate and upend EVO with K. Rool? /s

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i mean there has to be some pro player who sees potential in The Croco King and i find it odd that no Loyal K.Rool Main has sprung up yet(acting as the Bloodynite of K.Rool)

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Made it to top 16 out of 50 + participants in our monthly local with K Rool only, But lost to a really good Ike Player...
Oh well, I am still satisfied with my placing
Good stuff! I have been consistently going to SoCal weeklies out here, they are stacked with at least 60 players in the ones I have been to, but I average around 17th to 25th place. I can feel improvement with my play, but it's hard when everyone is so good. I appreciate the King K. Rool representation at tournaments, I am personally not giving up on the kremling king and can only go up from here.

Lastly, don't feel too discouraged if you have an off-day. Every loss is an opportunity to learn from our mistakes, and knowledge is our power in order to place higher and higher. King K. Rool learned from his mistakes in the Donkey Kong Country trilogy and Donkey Kong 64, with his plans getting more and more aggressive with each game. King K. Rool never repeated his actions exactly, and we can plan accordingly with our use of him as well. We King K. Rool mains got to stick together, people have no idea how much we wanted this character in the game, and we got to prove how much he means to us. Keep up the good work dude, top 16 is great for a monthly!

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Good stuff! I have been consistently going to SoCal weeklies out here, they are stacked with at least 60 players in the ones I have been to, but I average around 17th to 25th place. I can feel improvement with my play, but it's hard when everyone is so good. I appreciate the King K. Rool representation at tournaments, I am personally not giving up on the kremling king and can only go up from here.

Lastly, don't feel too discouraged if you have an off-day. Every loss is an opportunity to learn from our mistakes, and knowledge is our power in order to place higher and higher. King K. Rool learned from his mistakes in the Donkey Kong Country trilogy and Donkey Kong 64, with his plans getting more and more aggressive with each game. King K. Rool never repeated his actions exactly, and we can plan accordingly with our use of him as well. We King K. Rool mains got to stick together, people have no idea how much we wanted this character in the game, and we got to prove how much he means to us. Keep up the good work dude, top 16 is great for a monthly!
Thank you for your kind words, feels Great to have fellow K Rool‘s support.
I actually managed to clutch a game against a pretty „solid“ Snake (hah!), which granted me the Spot in top 16.
Cannot wait for the next one!

I Hope that you too will stick to our Obese Overlord and Show them what the King is capable of.

One thing I noticed during the monthly was the Underdog-Support I recieved. Many are actually happy to See some K Rool representation.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I actually managed to clutch a game against a pretty „solid“ Snake (hah!), which granted me the Spot in top 16.

I Hope that you too will stick to our Obese Overlord and Show them what the King is capable of.

One thing I noticed during the monthly was the Underdog-Support I recieved. Many are actually happy to See some K Rool representation.
Not Many K.Rool Players at tournaments so he's what most would call a very fresh and unique face among the usual crew you see

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've picked up K.Rool as a secondary and he's fun. K.Rool has some really good tools but big flaws too.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
sword characters mess him up big time
I disagree. I don't think sword characters are a big problem for him, you just need to space and punish correctly. It was hard for me at first too, but you just need patience. Best advice? Don't throw krown often. Use cannonball to bait jumps when they're at a distance, and keep your movement unpredictable. They can only keep you out if they know ahead of time if you're really going aggro, so mix it up often and you'll find they won't be prepared when you go for a grab or jab. If you find them using options like jab or ftilt to try and keep you out, THEN krown is recommended. If they themselves approach, you can either catch aerials with your nair which usually does minimal damage to the armor, or if they're using aerials as they land, foxtrot away and use ftilt to punish. Foxtrot a lot of course, it's K. Rool's best movement option. Only jump when absolutely necessary, NEVER do it to approach. Just play conservatively, don't throw your neck out too far, and you'll do alright.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have K.Rool as one of my secondaries. I admit, after Diddy I play Ike, Lucina and DK far more than K.Rool, but that might change in the future. I think K.Rool has a solid advantage against anyone that doesn't land kills very well. Sheik, Meta Knight, Bayonetta, Kirby, all good examples of this. Especially if K.Rool has a range advantage against them. He's definitely not a great character, but there's worse characters on the roster than him.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I have K.Rool as one of my secondaries. I admit, after Diddy I play Ike, Lucina and DK far more than K.Rool, but that might change in the future. I think K.Rool has a solid advantage against anyone that doesn't land kills very well. Sheik, Meta Knight, Bayonetta, Kirby, all good examples of this. Especially if K.Rool has a range advantage against them. He's definitely not a great character, but there's worse characters on the roster than him.
The problem with every character you listed is that KKR can't touch them. Metaknight has a true off-the-side combo on K Rool at certain percents, Bayo can combo to eternity, and Kirby is small and hard to hit (Shiek can combo but can't kill, so valid point there). Sure it's possible to win these match ups, but its not easy if you can't land any hits.

That said, I'm also trying to lab out these match ups. Vex has convinced me that it's possible to succeed with K Rool, so I haven't given up hope yet.

Kulty

Smash Ace

It was the same thing when I went to my first two tournaments. In my region, there was only King K Rool player I know (not personally), but he switched to Wario as it was his PM main and he was a Project M player. When I came to these tournaments, I was the only player (or one of the few) to actually use K Rool as a main. Few people use him as a secondary, but I actually use him as a main. It was nice of them to give me underdog support as well since:ultkrool:is so obscure in my region. It really doesn`t feel the same at all with my other character (:ultmario:), bc he`s quite popular in my region. :)

Good play against that Ike btw. You did your best, and having K Rool mains is always nice. XD

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I got my first JV4 (well except that I only took 1% off of blastzone which sucks) in Ultimate with K Rool this weekend. Feels great. Wish I could show the video though. :(

Nice play on your K Rool man and good job. :)
Still counts as a JV I believe. A JV is more indicative of your opponent's performance than anything else, as it basically says that if the game had another stock, you would keep that stock as well, since your opponent couldn't land a hit for the other three stocks.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
does anyone else sometimes watch VGBootcamp's weekly tuesday tournaments on twitch? i imagine if we'd see A K.Rool Anywhere it would be there

D

Deleted member

So we already know that Sakurai says that K.Rool along with Simon, Richter, and Ridley were chosen because of the Smash Ballot, is it possible that they alongside with Bayonetta were part of the Smash Ballot Top 5 US?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So we already know that Sakurai says that K.Rool along with Simon, Richter, and Ridley were chosen because of the Smash Ballot, is it possible that they alongside with Bayonetta were part of the Smash Ballot Top 5 US?
Probably.

It begs the question of if there was a Top 5 in Japan, too, although from what I understand the scene had been modest over there before this point.

Rizen

Smash Legend
K.Rool has his problems but he also has some ridiculous stuff. Dsmash with the proper timing covers all ledge getup options, like Ridley's. Uthrow alone deals 20% in 1 vs 1s and he has armor as a mixup. A f4 jab. A counter/reflector. 2 projectiles...

I'm not saying he's a great character but if K.Rool gets a really good player or 2 he could turn some heads. The problem is there are better and easier characters and he's a scrub buster by reputation. He's stuck in an awkward position for competitive play.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't think all of them were; it was also said that those rankings included veterans from Smash games, so I'd think that at least one of Wolf, Snake, or Ice Climbers would have been in the top five. Ridley and K. Rool do seem pretty likely, though Ridley would probably be seen as ineligible even if the Pyrosphere stage hazard is technically a different character.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
K.Rool has his problems but he also has some ridiculous stuff. Dsmash with the proper timing covers all ledge getup options, like Ridley's. Uthrow alone deals 20% in 1 vs 1s and he has armor as a mixup. A f4 jab. A counter/reflector. 2 projectiles...

I'm not saying he's a great character but if K.Rool gets a really good player or 2 he could turn some heads. The problem is there are better and easier characters and he's a scrub buster by reputation. He's stuck in an awkward position for competitive play.
It's still early in the meta, people are mostly sticking with comfort picks for now. But we're slowly seeing more results from other heavy/big characters (Ridley, Dedede, Incineroar, Bowser and even K. Rool himself saw some use the top 8-32 of Battle of BC/Shockwave/MSM and more over the past week alone).

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
What is everyone's opinion on the Krool vs Ridley matchup?
Honestly? From my experience, there isn't much that gives either side a large advantage. I'd probably say it slightly favors K. Rool though? He's heavier, so harder for Ridley to kill, his crown negates Ridley's fireballs, I think the cannonball goes through them as well, his punish game puts Ridley off from using his side B too much, though the large hurtbox and slow speed of K. Rool makes up for a lot of this since Ridley won't need his fireballs to really rush K. Rool down, and he's more likely to land the side-B than whiff if he's smart about it. K. Rool can edge-guard Ridley pretty easy, a good Ridley can edge-guard K. Rool efficiently as well. Ridley also still kills heavy opponents pretty early with a well timed f-smash, so the weight advantage isn't that important.

It's mostly even imo, it just leans a little in K. Rool'a favor.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Honestly? From my experience, there isn't much that gives either side a large advantage. I'd probably say it slightly favors K. Rool though? He's heavier, so harder for Ridley to kill, his crown negates Ridley's fireballs, I think the cannonball goes through them as well, his punish game puts Ridley off from using his side B too much, though the large hurtbox and slow speed of K. Rool makes up for a lot of this since Ridley won't need his fireballs to really rush K. Rool down, and he's more likely to land the side-B than whiff if he's smart about it. K. Rool can edge-guard Ridley pretty easy, a good Ridley can edge-guard K. Rool efficiently as well. Ridley also still kills heavy opponents pretty early with a well timed f-smash, so the weight advantage isn't that important.

It's mostly even imo, it just leans a little in K. Rool'a favor.
I appreciate the reply!

I'm asking because a long-time friend of mine mains Krool and I main Ridley. Lately, he's been struggling against me since we 1 on 1 a lot when playing Smash, and he's started giving up on playing Krool against my Ridley due to frustration. It certainly sucks because I love playing Ridley, and he loves playing Krool just as much, and we hang out all the time and play lots of Smash.

I've wanted to help him with it and have tried to show him some cool Krool tricks (like short hop down air into up smash as a kill confirm against me), but I'm honestly not the most familiar with how to play Krool well, or, even better, how to play him well versus Ridley in particular.

Can you explain a bit more how you would go about edge guarding against Ridley as Krool? Usually, when he tries to chase off stage (using back air or down air), my aerials, especially up air, tend to beat his and he's kind of stopped going off-stage to chase me due to it. Typically he'll just let me recover peacefully and try to stand near the edge tossing his crown and using the cannon, with some short hop forward airs thrown in to try and catch my stage getup.

He also gets pretty brutally chased off-stage by me. I often abuse his recovery pretty hard, going for back airs or other aerials while he's using his propellar thing, using plasma breath, and keeping him off the edge sometimes for entire stocks. How do you suggest he may get around these kinds of tactics, and what's the safest way to try and recover while against a Ridley player that likes to go off-stage a lot.

Lastly, do you have any good just general tips about how to fight Ridley as Krool? I want to help him train up a bit.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I appreciate the reply!

I'm asking because a long-time friend of mine mains Krool and I main Ridley. Lately, he's been struggling against me since we 1 on 1 a lot when playing Smash, and he's started giving up on playing Krool against my Ridley due to frustration. It certainly sucks because I love playing Ridley, and he loves playing Krool just as much, and we hang out all the time and play lots of Smash.

I've wanted to help him with it and have tried to show him some cool Krool tricks (like short hop down air into up smash as a kill confirm against me), but I'm honestly not the most familiar with how to play Krool well, or, even better, how to play him well versus Ridley in particular.

Can you explain a bit more how you would go about edge guarding against Ridley as Krool? Usually, when he tries to chase off stage (using back air or down air), my aerials, especially up air, tend to beat his and he's kind of stopped going off-stage to chase me due to it. Typically he'll just let me recover peacefully and try to stand near the edge tossing his crown and using the cannon, with some short hop forward airs thrown in to try and catch my stage getup.

He also gets pretty brutally chased off-stage by me. I often abuse his recovery pretty hard, going for back airs or other aerials while he's using his propellar thing, using plasma breath, and keeping him off the edge sometimes for entire stocks. How do you suggest he may get around these kinds of tactics, and what's the safest way to try and recover while against a Ridley player that likes to go off-stage a lot.

Lastly, do you have any good just general tips about how to fight Ridley as Krool? I want to help him train up a bit.
I have one thing when it comes to offstage chasing, well, actually, two:
1. Blunderbuss if he thinks you will try a horizontal approach. The cannonball stops the side b well, and the inhale is good against the up b.
2. If he's trying to catch you while you're below, NAIR. NAIR NAIR NAIR. Nair is one of K. Rool's best options against lower recoveries, Belmonts and swordies hate him.

Anyway, sadly, you're at a level where he can't do much if he's forced to use propeller. My best advice for him is to swerve a lot to throw you off, try not to hug the stage if he doesn't want to catch a bair. He has to read what you'll go for basically.

My advice in general? Shorthop cannonball and krown help a lot as long as he's careful with them, as Ridley's slowly air-speed means he'll have a hard time getting in and punishing unless he risks a side-b. Shorthop nair is also good for catching Ridley's aerials. Use runaway ftilt a lot, but be wise about it, Ridley has the capacity to break armor quite quickly.

That's my best advice tbh.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Finally got into Elite Smash.

Ultimately it's a meaningless distinction, but having been on the cusp of it for weeks, it felt great to finally break that barrier.

Now let's see if I can do it with Ridley...

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Finally got into Elite Smash.

Ultimately it's a meaningless distinction, but having been on the cusp of it for weeks, it felt great to finally break that barrier.

Now let's see if I can do it with Ridley...
Congrats man. I'm trying to K. Rool and some of my other mains into Elite Smash. My online experience has been pretty much a rollercoaster though I did get pretty close with Bowser and Yoshi. What is the minimum for Elite Smash? Is it 4.2 or 4.3 million? I will get there eventually however long it takes. One of the things I have run into and now despise is someone who has it set to Stamina with 3 stocks. I went against a Fox player who kept using U-tilt on me the whole match and it pissed me off. So which characters you go against give you the most headaches?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, in preparation for the 30th anniversary of the Game Boy, it seems that every noteworthy title can be rated and voted for on here, so it wouldn't hurt to give the DK Land games some love: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/04/vote_for_your_favourite_game_boy_games

By the way, I think you lads might like this.

Smash cut ins are back once again.

Top Bottom