• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
there's really a lack of good K.Rool videos....seems like few people consider the croco king a worthy character
I wouldn't go that far, but yeah the lack of videos is odd, given how K. Rool and Ridley practically were the characters to talk about when talking hype newcomers for Smash Ultimate.
There's a lot of K. Rool videos on Youtube so I don't know what you guys are talking about. Unless you are saying you haven't seen many videos of amazing K. Rool mains, than you would probably be right.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I agree 100%. I still feel like it's surreal that he made it into Ultimate, we truly did get lucky considering what happened to other popular choices, like Isaac and Geno. I feel like I should have gotten over him being included by now, but just the fact that the newcomers were so scarce this time around, plus the fact that Sakurai stated King K. Rool "recieved a ton of votes" on the ballot despite many others also scoring highly, shows that we were carefully selected out of the top fan favorites. With people who never cared for him, let alone know who he is, suddenly starting to use him all over the world, we can comfortably know in the back of our minds that we all knew for years that he would be a great candidate for Smash. I am eternally grateful to Sakurai and all of us for making our voices clear. King K. Rool used to be known as one of the most requested characters for years, but now, he's grouped with many other characters that we've known as being a part of the Smash roster for over a decade. In other words, he's transcended from being a wishlist choice to cementing himself as a Smash Bros. mainstay. Truly beautiful stuff.
Cosigned. Every second I play as K. Rool in Ultimate, I am consciously aware of how fortunate I am for this to become reality. It feels even better knowing I played a part, however small, in his return by voting for him in the Smash Ballot. Not just got him into Smash, but brought him back from retirement.

I don't think I'll ever take it for granted.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
True, that keeps me from getting too salty when I lose. Even if you lose while playing K. Rool, you're still playing K. Rool, brought back from the dead by fans and a director who was willing to listen to them in a series where dead characters from continuing franchises had never been added before, and an entry that barely had any new characters added at all.

Just think about what's possible in the future now.

New K. Rool boss battles. New K. Rool attacks! New K. Rool themes.

And after his last big boss battle in DK64, we can only go up from here.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
Cosigned. Every second I play as K. Rool in Ultimate, I am consciously aware of how fortunate I am for this to become reality. It feels even better knowing I played a part, however small, in his return by voting for him in the Smash Ballot. Not just got him into Smash, but brought him back from retirement.

I feel the exact same way whenever I play as him, aside from Yoshi and Mewtwo (once I unlock him). I'm extremely glad that I got involved and played a part in getting our King into Smash by voting for him in the Smash Fighter Ballot.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

No doubt about that. Maining K. Rool and playing against him is always a treat. This is the highest of the highs we have ever gotten. Though I have yet to play anyone online unfortunately. I have been focusing on challenges, WoL, and Classic. Now even the kids really enjoy K. Rool! Plus that can be put to rest permanently and the youth will gradually gravitate toward him for years to come. K. Rool is by far my favorite newcomer in Ultimate and I also enjoy Ridley and the other newcomers too.

I came across the definitive DK Rap the other day and it's pretty damn hilarious.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Y'know, around this time last year if you had told me that one of the artists behind God of War would draw King K. Rool, I would first ask why, and when the answer would be because they put him in a yet then to be announced Smash game that came out the same year, I likely would have slapped you for pulling my heartstrings.

Aaaand damn, :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Voting for K. Rool during the Smash Ballot and being a small part in bringing him back to gaming is my proudest achievement as a gamer. :)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Alrighty, Kutthroats, since the topic of the Kremlings coming back in a possible new DKC from Retro/whomever was brought up on the Geno thread, lemme ask you this: which ones would you like them to bring back? For me that would be Klump, Krusha, Kopter, and, if possible, Kludge and Kalypso.

No doubt about that. Maining K. Rool and playing against him is always a treat. This is the highest of the highs we have ever gotten. Though I have yet to play anyone online unfortunately. I have been focusing on challenges, WoL, and Classic. Now even the kids really enjoy K. Rool! Plus that can be put to rest permanently and the youth will gradually gravitate toward him for years to come. K. Rool is by far my favorite newcomer in Ultimate and I also enjoy Ridley and the other newcomers too.

I came across the definitive DK Rap the other day and it's pretty damn hilarious.
Oh hey, it's that artist I recently brought up on the fanart thread! It's really inspiring to see him say these things.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Alrighty, Kutthroats, since the topic of the Kremlings coming back in a possible new DKC from Retro/whomever was brought up on the Geno thread, lemme ask you this: which ones would you like them to bring back? For me that would be Klump, Krusha, Kopter, and, if possible, Kludge and Kalypso.

Oh hey, it's that artist I recently brought up on the fanart thread! It's really inspiring to see him say these things.
It's probably never going to happen, but Klubba would be delightful to see return. He was one of my favorite characters to come from DKC2, with how he contrasted other shopkeepers with his neutral attitude towards the Kongs, as well as being a Kremling of course. If they have hidden levels like they did in Tropical Freeze, it would be a great callback to have him be who you exchange whatever tokens you collect with to gain access to said levels.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yes, Klubba and now he's a successful businessman in NDC after investing his 75 bonus tokens and pawning off the golden barrel to the Kremling lost world. He is more anti K. Rool than ever and helps the Kongs against K. Rool's newest plans, helping them get access to his personal friend, Mayor Pauline. He runs the taxi service in NDC with his associate Krunch.

Klobber
Klump
Krusha
RockKroc
Kaboing
Kloak
Klaptrap
Kosha
Kutlass
Kalypso
Bazuka

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Yes, Klubba and now he's a successful businessman in NDC after investing his 75 bonus tokens and pawning off the golden barrel to the Kremling lost world. He is more anti K. Rool than ever and helps the Kongs against K. Rool's newest plans, helping them get access to his personal friend, Mayor Pauline. He runs the taxi service in NDC with his associate Krunch.

Klobber
Klump
Krusha
RockKroc
Kaboing
Kloak
Klaptrap
Kosha
Kutlass
Kalypso
Bazuka
While we're talking about our whatever happened to Klubba fan theories, I once had an idea for a DKC game that saw a return to Crocodile isle, wherein we fid out Crocodile Isle wasn't entirely destroyed, but rather it sunk to the bottom of the ocean and became a sort of Kremlantis, complete with old areas looking worse for wear, and new areas. I imagined there being a return of K. Rool trying to wrest ownership of the isle from Klubba who remained to help out the struggling Kremlings, and he makes a somewhat easy time doing it thanks to strong anti Kong resentment due to the Kongs sinking the island in the first place. I imagined a 100% goal B plot that involved Klubba once again restricting access to the bonus levels and the Kongs helping Klubba fix the island, either returning it to the surface or making it sustainable underwater by fixing infrastructures, finding a source of sustainable food and clean water, creating sustainable electricity, and doing all this with a combination of item questing a la DKC3, and finding items as rewards at the end of the lost worlds bonus levels. The end result would culminate in a 100% ending that sees the final result of a new Crocodile Isle that's bigger and better than ever, with K. Rool kicked out and Klubba as the rightful owner as he stayed to help the Kremlings in the first place. The new Isle is actually Kong friendly and allied to them with the Kongs welcome back anytime, essentially becoming a DK Island second location run by Klubba and many Kremlings who abandoned K. Rool's army after the Kongs helped them rebuild their Isle again.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Even though he's not a Kremling and got kicked out of their group anyway in DK64, I would like to see Snide came back. Klubba would be awesome too.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
While we're talking about our whatever happened to Klubba fan theories, I once had an idea for a DKC game that saw a return to Crocodile isle, wherein we fid out Crocodile Isle wasn't entirely destroyed, but rather it sunk to the bottom of the ocean and became a sort of Kremlantis, complete with old areas looking worse for wear, and new areas. I imagined there being a return of K. Rool trying to wrest ownership of the isle from Klubba who remained to help out the struggling Kremlings, and he makes a somewhat easy time doing it thanks to strong anti Kong resentment due to the Kongs sinking the island in the first place. I imagined a 100% goal B plot that involved Klubba once again restricting access to the bonus levels and the Kongs helping Klubba fix the island, either returning it to the surface or making it sustainable underwater by fixing infrastructures, finding a source of sustainable food and clean water, creating sustainable electricity, and doing all this with a combination of item questing a la DKC3, and finding items as rewards at the end of the lost worlds bonus levels. The end result would culminate in a 100% ending that sees the final result of a new Crocodile Isle that's bigger and better than ever, with K. Rool kicked out and Klubba as the rightful owner as he stayed to help the Kremlings in the first place. The new Isle is actually Kong friendly and allied to them with the Kongs welcome back anytime, essentially becoming a DK Island second location run by Klubba and many Kremlings who abandoned K. Rool's army after the Kongs helped them rebuild their Isle again.
Yep, I pictured something like this, too. Crocodile Isle drama would be a great story for a new DK game. It can still be light but compelling enough to be interesting.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'll ask this here too as some community input is cool to have on making a decision. do you think Kalypso would have a gold or sliver piece of armor like :ultkrool:?

Also a full plate or something more akin to Red Sonja?

Last edited:

Looked like K.Rool farted when he took off in Diddy's part. Good lord....

He looks and acts like one of those strange inflatable wobbly things at the front of vacuum cleaner stores which flail their arms about. No not Mr. Patch.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Oh about the girl up top she's Kalypso I'm using her for my new work portfolio to broaden my horizons. The idea is to do her up like :ultkrool:'s model but with a different outfit. She's only whew like 6% done at this point but I wanted to show off what I had.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Oh wow, you're very talented! I' I wonder in terms of design choice, though, if you made her too pin-up like, too human-like with the size of the breasts and the body shape. I think personally it would look better if she looked more Kremling/crocodilian. That's very cool.

Speaking of which, I actually wonder what is going to happen with Kremlings like Kalypso and Klump and Krusha who have "human anatomy" in the DK games going forward. I think these traits might be less emphasized if K. Rool is anything to go by. Nintendo themselves actually made K. Rool more "human-like" in the Paon games by making his golden armor into fleshy moobs. But in Smash Ultimate, they have gone back to the golden armor and retconned the fleshy belly entirely.

The good thing is that Klump's nipples are most likely very dead. They were already killed by Paon in DK Barrel Blast thankfully and I don't think Retro Studios or any other Nintendo studio has any great love for Klump nipples either.

Last edited:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I never was a huge fan of Kalypso's look, mostly because it's too close to human in my opinion - like a crocodile's head and tail pasted onto a human body that was then painted the appropriate colors. You can give an animal human attributes and make an interesting character design, but I do believe there's such a thing as "too human" in that context.

The way K. Rool looks and moves in Ultimate has me excited for the next appearance of the Kremlings for that very reason. I love the strongly pronounced scales, his big lizard tongue, the bony back plating, the need to drop to all fours to move faster. I'm confident we won't have to worry about Klump's nipples making a comeback when the big man is more animalistic than ever.

It is a bit of a shame we might never hear the Kremlings speak again, though. The cutscenes in DK64 were a big part of what got me so interested in K. Rool as a character and there's not really any of that in Retro's DKC. They had a few fun lines from Cranky and Funky in the shops, but that's about all the dialogue there is between them. Still, I'd gladly take a mute antagonist if it guaranteed the absence of alligator nips

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yes, I agree. I like Kalypso's hair mostly. I don't think she needs boobs to communicate "woman Kremling" either.

It's interesting to note that I think starting from DKC3, you got more Kremlings that were just basically upright animals rather than Kremlings with like visible pecs in DKC1-2.

I wonder if Kritters should get their gold armor back, too.

Kulty

Smash Ace
OMG it really saddens me that everyone thinks that K Rool sucks. Even though I still think he`s not great, he`s still a very good fighter nonetheless. I`m just glad the fake hype surrounding the character is now gone and we can actually talk about this character being balanced and not OP. Regardless, I don`t care if players like Leffen and Dabuz say that K Rool sucks, but I honestly think he`s decent. I don`t think he`s the best Super Heavy Weight in the game like we thought at first, but he`s still a solid character overall. Nevertheless, I`ll still play the BIG BOI and luckily Mario is a good character for K Rool`s bad MU. Not the best secondary, but I rather play him. Really glad I can still play one of my favorite video game villains to this day and I`m really grateful for Sakurai and his team to finally put him in. :)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think anatomy would be more or less kept, otherwise people would have trouble adjusting to yet more design changes if they're too different. Small details like nipples are definitely not staying, so I think design philosophy will remain in Retro's somewhere-in-between: detailed, but not to Rare's level.

One thing I will agree on though, they didn't need to change DK Island so drastically. The giant head was fine as is.

And at least Kalypso as a visible tail, Rool's manhood is shrivelled up these days. That's just me though.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
seems like we K.Rool Players are just getting exposed now and a competitive K.Rool doesn't seem to be in the cards at all

commenatators dumping on him(his jank's wearing off so he's pretty bad)and when he does show in a tournament he gets blown up and put on blast

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I mean, we didn't #KrocTheVote to #GetaHighTier. Yeah that sucks that K. Rool has more problems than people initially thought, but oh well. He's here, he's faithful in personality and attacks, and he's back after being booted from his own series. Ultimately, that's what important imo. But I understand that those people more invested in competitive Smash might feel more bummed out.

Even if a new balance patch made K. Rool's down B transform him into Melee Kirby, I would be happy. Weirded out but happy.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah every time I see complaints about whether DThrow is a true combo against this or that character or whether some pro made a K. ROOL LOW TIER?!?! video for clicks, I pause and remember how fortunate K. Rool fans are that these are the extent of our worries in 2019, and not whether there's some secret blacklist among Nintendo's top brass preventing K. Rool from ever showing up again. There might be moments where I'm getting BTFO online but I can at least muster a grin knowing I'm getting BTFO as a character many said was a Never Ever.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I will say just having :ultkrool: makes things feel so natural and complete.

Looking forward to see him and other in future DK games, now that Nintendo sees that removing the main enemy from a series wasn't a wise choice.

Snowmads are cool for world building and I love rouge's galleries but nothing replaces the arch-villain :ultkrool:

Speaking of which would playing as the King and or the Kremling Kourt in a DK game, suit anyone's fancy.?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Looking forward to see him and other in future DK games, now that Nintendo sees that removing the main enemy from a series wasn't a wise choice.

Snowmads are cool for world building and I love rouge's galleries but nothing replaces the arch-villain :ultkrool:

Speaking of which would playing as the King and or the Kremling Kourt in a DK game, suit anyone's fancy.?
Of course! As long as the gameplay doesn't exhaust one's self like Barrel Blast's did.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

Given K. Rool's diabolical nature and general cruelty, many on here have said that it wouldn't suit K. Rool to be playable alongside the Kong(s) in a mainline adventure, feeling like K. Rool would be the type who would rather die before he fought alongside Donkey Kong against a common enemy (Smash Ultimate excepting). If most people felt that way, I'd be open to a mainline DK game that gave K. Rool (or maybe even including or opting only for other Kremlings) an alternate campaign that gave him unique abilities and some new levels to flesh out a new story and another character that feels refreshingly distinct from Donkey/Diddy/Dixie or any other Kong. See him using his gadgets to traverse levels or take out new foes, using abilities perhaps akin to Smash Bros., like making his Crown and Blunderbuss must haves for part of his kit. I think there's potential in the concept if Nintendo ever wanted to test the waters with it, so long as he wasn't too same-y as any other Kong.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Given K. Rool's diabolical nature and general cruelty, many on here have said that it wouldn't suit K. Rool to be playable alongside the Kong(s) in a mainline adventure, feeling like K. Rool would be the type who would rather die before he fought alongside Donkey Kong against a common enemy (Smash Ultimate excepting). If most people felt that way, I'd be open to a mainline DK game that gave K. Rool (or maybe even including or opting only for other Kremlings) an alternate campaign that gave him unique abilities and some new levels to flesh out a new story and another character that feels refreshingly distinct from Donkey/Diddy/Dixie or any other Kong. See him using his gadgets to traverse levels or take out new foes, using abilities perhaps akin to Smash Bros., like making his Crown and Blunderbuss must haves for part of his kit. I think there's potential in the concept if Nintendo ever wanted to test the waters with it, so long as he wasn't too same-y as any other Kong.
So basically, like the Minions campaigns in the M&L remakes.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So basically, like the Minions campaigns in the M&L remakes.
Maybe, although, maybe less, gimmicky? Let me go on record to say that I haven't played the M&L remakes, but it's my impression based on gameplay that they seem like another way to justify the touchscreens on the DS or alternate ways to play, as opposed to just "Hey! New campaign where you can play Mario & Luigi, Bowser, AND Bowser Jr., complete with new skills and bosses and locales", which personally I would've preferred. If K. Rool was made playable in a DKC game (mainline preferred but I wouldn't be opposed to spin offs depending on what it is.), I wouldn't want it to be like "You control K. Rool exclusively by whistling into the Switch's microphone at different frequency's to make him move with the helepack and shoot his Blunderbuss!" and more just another playable character that is also uniquely different in playstyle, abilities, and personality. Something that doesn't fix what isn't broken, but rather just says "You know how to play this if you've played a DKC game before, but just know K. Rool doesn't throw his weight around like DK, fly like Dixie, pogo like Cranky, use a insta win surfboard like Funky or do... what ever Diddy does now. He has his own tricks, and you have to master those to win.". TBH I wouldn't even be opposed to K. rool being main campaign alongside the Kongs, but a lot of people seem to disagree with me on that, so I offered something I would also like to see them do with Rool that might not seemingly betray his character to so many fans.

Top Bottom