• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hey guys,

I'm finally back. After finishing WoL (but still haven't tackled King K Rool's classic mode), I can finally rest easy in terms of spoilers. I know I'm late, but man I've been hearing a lot of negative things about our King. People want this character to be nerfed already, but I'll say B***s*** to that. This character is like the most fun I had with alongside :ultmario:. I'm honestly tempted (for the first time since I started playing competitive Smash) to dual main Mario and K Rool in this game just bc I have so much attachment to these characters. K Rool is like really good, but not broken. I start to struggle against fast characters like Fox who camp not only combo food K Rool, but also camp me out when I'm at % disadvantage. Do you guys know how to counter this?

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,

I'm finally back. After finishing WoL (but still haven't tackled King K Rool's classic mode), I can finally rest easy in terms of spoilers. I know I'm late, but man I've been hearing a lot of negative things about our King. People want this character to be nerfed already, but I'll say B***s*** to that. This character is like the most fun I had with alongside :ultmario:. I'm honestly tempted (for the first time since I started playing competitive Smash) to dual main Mario and K Rool in this game just bc I have so much attachment to these characters. K Rool is like really good, but not broken. I start to struggle against fast characters like Fox who camp not only combo food K Rool, but also camp me out when I'm at % disadvantage. Do you guys know how to counter this?
That's probably K Rool's biggest flaw. As obvious as it seems, you just have to use the fact that you hit harder. For every stock, expect to take a free 50-80 percent before you even get a hit off. Use super armor to squeek in some hits, then use your massive weight to stay alive. It's honestly an up hill battle but K Rool excels at comebacks due to his weight and superarmor.

Kulty

Smash Ace
That's probably K Rool's biggest flaw. As obvious as it seems, you just have to use the fact that you hit harder. For every stock, expect to take a free 50-80 percent before you even get a hit off. Use super armor to squeek in some hits, then use your massive weight to stay alive. It's honestly an up hill battle but K Rool excels at comebacks due to his weight and superarmor.
Yeah thanks. Especially with K Rool`s slow run speed compared to the rest of the cast, I do expect this to happen. I don`t care if I get comboed or get juggled really hard, I at least can do a lot of damage by winning neutral a few times. It`s just frustrating against fast characters once I`m at a % disadvantage. I guess I have to be really careful when I try to approach with K Rool and not just use dash attack or crown toss.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Guys, to be completely honest, I am not really playing with King K.Rool all that much at the moment. I love fighting against him however. It's.. surprisingly challenging to beat K.Rool as Diddy. Right now, I think I've got Diddy down. And am working on my other secondaries at this moment; DK, Ike, Mewtwo, Lucina and Ness. K.Rool will follow up probably if I get thsoe characters down.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Guys, to be completely honest, I am not really playing with King K.Rool all that much at the moment. I love fighting against him however. It's.. surprisingly challenging to beat K.Rool as Diddy. Right now, I think I've got Diddy down. And am working on my other secondaries at this moment; DK, Ike, Mewtwo, Lucina and Ness. K.Rool will follow up probably if I get thsoe characters down.
Any advice for playing as Diddy? I mained him in Smash 4 and he doesn’t play the same. Grabs are harder to get because shield is worse, and monkey flip seems to have less priority. His kill options seem SEVERELY limited as well. Also shield canceled item toss is out so that sucks.

I’m having a lot of trouble adjusting to Ultimate Diddy and I just don’t want to abandon him. How do you fare against other elite players?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Any advice for playing as Diddy? I mained him in Smash 4 and he doesn’t play the same. Grabs are harder to get because shield is worse, and monkey flip seems to have less priority. His kill options seem SEVERELY limited as well. Also shield canceled item toss is out so that sucks.

I’m having a lot of trouble adjusting to Ultimate Diddy and I just don’t want to abandon him. How do you fare against other elite players?
Am doing fine. Diddy is my only character in Elite Smash. What you need to remember is that Banana options are more diverse this time around.

Forget that shield, you gotta play bait & punish now. Be more of a evasive grappler, Banana throws a longer distance now and you can easily get a grab in whenever you punish someone with Banana Throw. Build up damage by doing double B Airs after a D Throw, and; PUMMEL! It's crazy fast now. Also, you can throw the Banana out of the air to a grounded enemy, and follow up with a Smash attack for the kill. It's good for catching them at surprise!

Also Monkey Flip is still highly usable, the Kick part of it now kills again. So that's good. It can kill around 150% near the edge, unless you deal with anything heavier than say, Link. Whenever at higher %s, D Throw is best followed up with F Air.

F Smash kills way earlier, and it's the MOST reliable KO option, out of Banana it's all but a confirmed kill. It'll be great for the first 2 stocks maybe, but rather predictable on the last one. Don't rely on it too much for players who figure out your plan. Mix up Monkey Flip Kick with the regular command grab when a player starts shielding a lot. Pummel a lot, F Throw and B Throw deal quite good damage and can kill around 200% (you'll need this at times, believe me).

Peanut Popgun is also great for "edgeguarding" on stage. You'll generally want to deal chip damage, any % is good for us.

The Rocket Barrel Jetpack now explodes WAY more reliably as well! This is a great thing, because it gives us a way less predictable KO option. D Tilt to U Smash doesn't quite work anymore, but U Smash can still kill after a Banana Throw. Anyway, Up B kills and crashes way easier. It's a good thing to trade off at times, just arc the Rocket Barrels exactly at the place where your enemy stands when you try to recover and hit the ground with Diddy's head (cruel it seems, but it only does 5-6%).. I call this Kamikaze Kong. It kills mid heavy characters as Mario and Wolf around 155% or so, lighter characters earlier.

So I guess there's your plan. Dash dance, throw out a banana, wait till the enemy is punishable; throw banana -> pummel pummel -> D Throw -> follow up with B Air x 2 or F Air and possibly follow up with Monkey Flip Kick or Peanut Popgun if your enemy allows it, and sort of repeat. Diddy builds up damage like crazy here. A combo like this easily deals 40+ damage, and you'll reliably keep doing damage untill kill % if the enemy doesn't figure you out. F Air is good for edgeguarding, but don't take too high risks. Best to stay on stage most of the time.

It's indeed a bit different to get used to, but believe me. Once you get this new playstyle, you gonna have lots of fun with Diddy. :ultdiddy:

Final words of warning: don't look at the %s and feel comfortable whenever you are in the lead. We are heavily punished with combos and nerfed weight and nerfed recovery makes it easier for the opponent to land KOs. If you can't kill with banana confirms, try Monkey Flip or F / B Throw near ledges.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The newest Kongversation is out.

Around the 1 hour 19 minute mark you can hear Hyle gush about K. Rool. And at the 1 hour 40 minute mark Hyle talks about how he now feels content with Smash despite any remaining complaints he has, and he's willing to move on with griping and losing sleep over it, and I couldn't agree more.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Playing K.Rool tons now. Love him badly. Sorry I betrayed this thread before with my neglect. Am fine now. :ultkrool:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Merry Christmas fellow Kutthroats. We got our biggest wish in K. Rool getting in now hopefully he can get back to the main DKC series soon.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Yo Merry Christmas to all of you Kremlings. I have a question. Does anyone have any tips for an effective daily practice routine for King K Rool? I've been mainly practicing my movement, parry and test some combos out of his normals and grabs. What would you add on to that? Thanks. :)

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Hello again, I just got Ultimate for Christmas! Four Classic modes run in, and my man Link :ultlink: helped me unlock K. Rool on my first night of play!

I've been eager to play as the kremling king for a long time now, and, you know what? I think I'll go through his Classic mode next.

I've unlocked Inkling as well, but K. Rool will be Ultimate's very first newcomer that I try out, so this will be especially interesting! I intend to post here more often again after getting in more practice.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Good god....

So I finally got some time today and got to elite with Bowser and Keith, and I'm so torn because I want to be a Bowser main, but everything about KKR is SO DAMN MUCH FUN.

Bowser feels like a quick, surgical tool in comparison. Yeah, he gets the job done, and may get it done faster than KKR, but KKR has so much more flair and pizzaz.

Not to mention the fact that his run off dair may as well be classified as a war crime it's so brutal...

I guess this is why most tournament players have multiple mains, so maybe I've just found my two.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Good god....

So I finally got some time today and got to elite with Bowser and Keith, and I'm so torn because I want to be a Bowser main, but everything about KKR is SO DAMN MUCH FUN.

Bowser feels like a quick, surgical tool in comparison. Yeah, he gets the job done, and may get it done faster than KKR, but KKR has so much more flair and pizzaz.

Not to mention the fact that his run off dair may as well be classified as a war crime it's so brutal...

I guess this is why most tournament players have multiple mains, so maybe I've just found my two.
Same. I want to main Mario just like every past Smash game, but I love King K Rool so much (despite losing to some people and getting bodied). So I will stay play him, but I just don't know which character to learn in-depth first. I could just say I can main both Mario and K Rool, but it will hurt my progress as a player. Plus, it just doesn't make sense to have two mains for me. ;)

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
The big thing with Ultimate is that the vast amount of characters makes it difficult to just stay with one, at least for me.

While I do Main the King, I also love playing as Shulk and Snake in this game. I Love characters with very different and cerebral playstyles and I feel that the quick thinking required for Art switching and Trap laying translates over well to my Krok overlord

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
This was an awesome ditto I had on my way to elite yesterday:

I'm 90% sure this was Bowserkid (who was awesome and I sent a friend request to but **** Nintendo's unwillingness to let us communicate in game or even invite each other to games). He was better than I but this match had quite the climactic finale so I saved it. :D

Also, we should probably have a stickied video thread at the top of the forum.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
This was an awesome ditto I had on my way to elite yesterday:

I'm 90% sure this was Bowserkid (who was awesome and I sent a friend request to but **** Nintendo's unwillingness to let us communicate in game or even invite each other to games). He was better than I but this match had quite the climactic finale so I saved it. :D

Also, we should probably have a stickied video thread at the top of the forum.
Yeah. It would be nice to have a video thread. I've been trying to find ways to improve my K Rool so having help and advice from you K Rool mains would help as well. :)

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
There should be a stickied thread with tournament matches featuring K Rool.

BKupa666 BKupa666 what do you think?

StormC

Smash Hero
Remember during the ballot when people were like "ugh can't believe people want K. Rool, nobody wants to play as another slow useless heavyweight?"

Feels good man. I didn't have a settled Smash 4 main until Cloud came out, but I instantly clicked with K. Rool.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Smash and King K. Rool's return has made this quite a year, and it was great spending some of it with you fellow kutthroats. Here's to a 2019 filled with mid-air stomps, belly counters, blunderbuss abductions, propeller juggles, and meteor punches!

D

Deleted member

My wishes in regards to K.Rool’s future:

-Him in a Mario Kart game.
-Playable appearance in Mario Tennis Aces.
-Role in the next DK game.
-His amiibo working in many titles.
-Amiibo costume in a possible Super Mario Maker port or sequel.
-Presence in Universal’s Nintendo World.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Happy New Year 2019 to all of you Kutthroats. Here`s hoping for a bright future for the meta of our boy:ultkrool:. I bought Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze on Switch during Boxing Day sale, AND BOY DO I HAVE A BLAST PLAYING THIS. Can`t wait to play more of it, despite K Rool not being here. :(

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Happy New Year, Kutthroats! We all had no idea that there would be a new Smash game at the start of last year, let alone that King K. Rool would be one of the few newcomers. 2019 is going to be a fantastic year for our King right off the bat; we can all rest easy knowing that he's back for good, and not going anywhere anytime soon. I look forward to playing as King K. Rool throughout the year and going to tournaments like Genesis 6, cheers!

Happy New Year Kutthroats!

What a year it was for K.Rool and DKC! Back in the big time, we did it!

Big thanks again to everyone involved for sharing the love and passion for this krazy kroc. Helping build a huge amount of momentum over the past few years for this scaly, bung eyed brute, which finally took him to the promised land after so long.

25th anniversary of Donkey Kong Country this year, lets hope we receive a few more announcements and surprises. No doubt there will be some big things in store over the next few years!

See you on the battlefield!

Also, not sure if we have a list of friend codes for Kutthroats to play against each other, or does something like that exist in the Discord?

D

Deleted member

Happy New Year Kutthroats!

What a year it was for K.Rool and DKC! Back in the big time, we did it!

Big thanks again to everyone involved for sharing the love and passion for this krazy kroc. Helping build a huge amount of momentum over the past few years for this scaly, bung eyed brute, which finally took him to the promised land after so long.

25th anniversary of Donkey Kong Country this year, lets hope we receive a few more announcements and surprises. No doubt there will be some big things in store over the next few years!

See you on the battlefield!

Also, not sure if we have a list of friend codes for Kutthroats to play against each other, or does something like that exist in the Discord?
I’ll do everything for the first videogame villain of my life, my dear friend!

And you can always check my friend code under my avatar.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
the other heavyweights wish their social thread was this active(R.I.P. Ganon And Bowser Social Threads)

guess that's what happens when you add a highly requested character like K.Rool into the mix

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
I was so stoked when King K. Rool got revealed back in August. After Ridley was revealed, anything seemed possible, and K. Rool's long overdue inclusion to Smash Bros made me jump for joy like a child receiving a gift directly from Santa. He's been my favorite character to play as in Ultimate now too. Other superheavy characters should aspire to become more like K. Rool. Sure as ~The Koopa King~ ~The Koopa King~ mentioned sword-based characters pose a challenge, but the sword users in SSBU seem a lot better than they did in previous titles. Even the Mii Swordfighter has potential to be competent in the right hands now.

But back to K. Rool, he feels so good to play as. While he is on the slower end for a character, his animations are super fluid, his attacks hit hard, he has two projectiles, great recovery, and super armor. A lot of people have been crying for him to receive nerfs, but honestly without these characteristics, K. Rool would be a bottom tier. It's not like Bayonetta and Pikachu who are inherently good characters. King K. Rool needs all of these traits and tools in his kit to be viable, and the other superheavies in Smash Bros need to take note. I have fears he could end up being on par with King Dedede worst case scenario if handled poorly, such as the cries of people getting pub-stomped by him getting taken seriously. King K. Rool shows what a superheavy needs in Smash Bros to be good, and I like that about him. Lightweights have never really been been thing except for Pikachu since it feels better to me when a character has some weight behind them.

Wish I was here back when the overall hype for King K. Rool was growing, along with the reveal day, but I'm still stoked that he's finally in the game and so nice too. He was one of my most wished characters for years, and although I think he should've been added in during Brawl, I'm just glad that he's finally relevant again after a decade.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
it feels awkward to even try and use bowser after using K.Rool because bowser doesn't have the tools that K.Rool does and as a result He(As Well as Ganondorf and any other heavies)come out looking far worse than if K.Rool wasn't in the game

K.Rool's crown-toss makes it so certain characters can't just pressure him because they are fast and his blunderbus in some incidents can seal the deal(like if you and the opponent are off stage and you catch them just as the right time to bounce them off the side of the stage for A K.O or if you suck them in upon them trying to recover on stage)

think about what bowser and ganondorf could do if they had the tools that are available to K.Rool I'm Sure bowser players and ganondorf players would be talking more if they did

but since they don't it's a bit of a hard time to a bowser or ganondorf main when K.Rool exists

Last edited:
Top Bottom