• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
great gameplay, man! Also, this was the first time I saw that glorious dark red skin in action! I need this in my life right now

StormC

Smash Hero
How are you guys passing the time until our king arrives?

I've been trying to play other games but I just get distracted and try to look up more K. Rool footage, lol.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I actually play Smash 4 until Ultimate comes out and play other characters that I rarely play throughout the lifespan of the game. I plan to do classic, all-star and Smash Run with my favorite fighters on the last weekend before Smash Ultimate's release to have sort of a good conclusion to the game. :)

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

I've been trying to play other games but I just get distracted and try to look up more K. Rool footage, lol.
I actually no longer have a Wii U, nor do I have my 3DS copy, so to prep for Smash Ultimate, to keep my platform fighting fundamentals in check, I've been playing a game called Rivals of Aether. Weird way to get myself hyped, but it works.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I still have my Wii U system, but there have been other projects that I've been working on during the past set of weeks.

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666

I picked up Smash 3DS again and messed around with a King K. Rool Mii Brawler for a bit. Man, I really don't like those Mii Fighters.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Rewatching "Long Live the King", different K.Rool gameplay videos, listening to Gangplank Galleon remix on repeat, rewatching the reveal trailer, staring at the K.Rool amiibo boxart, listening to Lifelight on repeat everyday until the game comes out.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

I've replayed all three original DKC games and am up to Creepy Castle in replaying DK64. Gotta enjoy the good old days before moving on to the new ones and all.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH

Ever since the reveal I've been doing "victory laps", as it were, for K. Rool and the DK series by playing through all the games again. Replayed the first three Country games, got 200% on Tropical Freeze for the first time, and I just started DK64 again this morning. Found a copy of Donkey Kong Land recently so I've been playing that for the first time too.
Other than that, I've def been eating up all the new K. Rool footage that comes out too, hah.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

Waiting for Ultimate in general has been agonizing. It's a first world problem, sure, but a new SSB comes but once every 4-5 years on average and this one looks the most promising for heavyweight viability of any of the games thus far.

But more importantly, I now have not one but three wonderful obese reptiles to main (which will be my squad strike trio) but more importantly, KKR is not only in but is bursting with personality and has a moveset which looks so good it may legit be overpowered.

I had a good tournament run as a solo Bowser main in SSB4 but I retired from it when fatigue issues and a meta that was growing stale made it more trouble than it was worth.

But I'm going to try to rejoin it for Ultimate (first tournament Dec 8th) as well as do as much SSB streaming as possible, and being so excited for KKR is realistically the reason I'm doing either. Makes waiting all the more agonizing but I'll endure an agonizing wait if it's due to there being someone worth waiting FOR. :D

I'm passing time with work, learning javascript, and preparing my stream for launch day. Also working to prepare my fingers for console play again with some SotN.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
You know that Smash Ultimate Commercial meme going on right now. I noticed a lack of Gangplank Galleon so I went ahead and remedied the situation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Start of this video shows Kirby's K. Rool hat:

Kirby just can't escape from hats trying to eat him, can he? :ultridley::ultkrool::ultpiranha:

Also, note the two pink specks on DK Isle's mouth: those are the fighters in Rool's FS. That is hardcore.

Watching game shows, still puttering along on Rayman Legends on PS4, and have been getting back to Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, since the season is thematically appropriate.

Cranky street would be a nice echo fighter for Krool street
A street that complains about the good old days when repairs didn't happen every time too many trucks passed? Sounds perfect!

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Does anyone know if uthrow is an actual kill throw or just pretty strong?

Kulty

Smash Ace
Kills Ness here at 2:20 (at 166% damage, granted):

Up-throw seems to kill way earlier than it should. We have to consider that Super Happy Tree is a stage that seems to have a huge vertical ceiling (and that stage will be banned for sure), but considering in neutral stages, it might kill around like 130% depending on the character weight and fall speed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does anyone know if uthrow is an actual kill throw or just pretty strong?
You'd have to play on an Omega form stage in Training to get a better idea on when the throw can KO. Also, you might want to compare King K. Rool's u-throw to Mewtwo's u-throw, as the latter was among the strongest u-throws in Smash 3DS / Wii U.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
My own attempt at the meme:

The funny part is how well it actually works in some parts such as 0:23 when Isabel poses in uniform with the vocals and when Kirby crashes down near the end of the rift. Charizard also emerges from the Poké Ball right as the kritter march intensifies.

It's actually hilarious how many memes really work with the trailer. It's as if Nintendo was just daring people to do it by having no music.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Ok so we've all answered the King K Rool nitpicks, now it's time for some more love.

What's your favourite King K Rool animation in Smash Ultimate?

Pick only one. The rest can be runners up, but you have to say your absolute favourite.

Me personally, I love his entrance animation so much. It really drives home that he's a villain, but he's just having fun being an obese goofball in Smash.

Honourable mention to his running animation for being absolutely terrifying, and to his Blunderbuss animation for looking like he's up to all kinds of no good.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
This was already posted in the moveset thread, but in case anyone who sticks to this thread would care to indulge in some glorious hard data, look no further:

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Probably dThrow, by all means it should be incredibly brutal, but the fact that the opponent gets stuck in the ground upside-down all cartoon-like makes it really funny.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
So, with that frame data and so on I wanted to give a broad description of what the moves are looking like, what their broad applications should be, and how they are each individually useful. It is worth saying that, based on the video linked above, King K Rool has so many options and every move looks like it has application in some scenario. Spoilers because it's a long post:

Jab - this is sounding like possibly the best heavyweight Jab in the game. Starting at frame 4 and dealing 12% damage is crazy. It's largely the same as Charizard's from Smash 4, which is nothing to sniff at. Excellent boxing move for opponents who get close.

Forward Tilt - This sounds worrisome at frame 12, but you shouldn't be looking at this the same way as the Jab, as it has a different purpose. With armour and decent kill power, this serves too functions - to kill when a normal smash is too slow, and to armour through oncoming attacks. A comparable move is Little Mac's Forward Smash, which is obviously stronger but 2 frames slower.

Up Tilt - This is insanely fast, coming out at frame 5 - that's the same as Mario in Smash 4! It's got a big hitbox too, so looks to be a great anti-air attack.

Down Tilt - This is frame 14, so the slowest tilt, but you should bear in mind it's on par with Mario's Forward Smash - remember how hard that is to react to? This move is for the utility; it's got deceptive range and if you get a bury off of it you've likely got a KO at any reasonable percent.

Dash Attack - frame 7 (same as ROB - that's fast!), armour and a lot of damage makes this a strong burst / kill option in a similar vein to forward tilt. I think this is a more aggressive option for attacking opponents hiding behind hitboxes, whereas F-Tilt feels like a more defensive move for when you're under assault, so both have their uses.

Forward Smash - This is slow, but goodness is it strong. Not a smash attack to just throw out, but excellent kill option on buried opponents with a lot of range. Let's also remember that frame 19 is not as slow as you think it might be - that's the same as Captain Falcon in Smash 4, for example, and it looks a lot stronger.

Up Smash - This is an incredibly weird move with a lot of different uses. It has an absurdly fast first crown hitbox on frame 6, which may be a very potent anti-air or burial punish. It then has a spiking hitbox, so may have weird edge=guarding potential. I don't really know what to make of this, to be honest.

Down Smash - At frame 24, this is relatively slow, but don't let that distract you from the fact that it has super armour. This is going to be incredibly strong for hitting opponents who don't sweetspot the ledge.

Forward Throw - This is perhaps the most unclear move for K Rool in terms of its usability. It's not his most damaging, nor does it look like a kill throw, but I've heard rumblings of whether it can be used to combo. We'll see.

Back Throw - the Pushblock video suggests this might be a kill throw! I've not yet seen footage, but that sounds promising as well.

Up Throw - This looks like the most damaging throw in the entire game, with relatively low base knockback that may make it useful for low percent combos whilst allowing it to kill on platform stages.

Down Throw - This buries off of a grab - letting K Rool do whatever he wants after. The exact utility is yet to be discovered - you can mash out quickly - but at high percents this should be a guaranteed smash attack kill.

Neutral Air - This is Dedede's, but with larger range and super armour at the expense of a single frame. This is a really strong tool for escaping juggling that no other heavy looks to have.

Forward Air - This is a relatively fast (frame 10) killing aerial. I think our first job collectively should be to try figure out ways of linking into this from burials, because it's a really strong move.

Back Air - At frame 19, this is very slow, but does a crazy 19 damage with a really cool spike. Worth looking into its use after burials, because you apparently can't tech grounded spikes anymore.

Up Air - Frame 7 is very quick here, with a lot of kill power and a potential disjoint. We should investigate down throw up air as a potential option.

Down Air - same deal as back air, but a lot quicker. This should be the go to spike without trying to style.

Neutral B - This move does everything thanks to the confirmation we don't need to fire a cannonball to use the vacuum. It gives us a projectile to approach behind, a command grab to give true aerial pressure on shields, and an option to absorb other opponents projectiles.

Side B - This move looks to be as fast as Link's boomerang, and should serve a similar purpose of controlling space and forcing shields so that we can land those grabs. And it has super armour, for some reason....

Down B - K Rool has nearly everything, so you might as well throw in a counter as a potentially decent option for escaping disadvantage, as well as a good option for edgeguarding opponents with damaging recoveries.

Up B - Yeah, this is crazy good. Goes faster and farther than Duck Hunt, with a hitbox on top that messes with anyone who wants to spike or 2-frame you? This recovery is absurd.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
So, with that frame data and so on I wanted to give a broad description of what the moves are looking like, what their broad applications should be, and how they are each individually useful. It is worth saying that, based on the video linked above, King K Rool has so many options and every move looks like it has application in some scenario. Spoilers because it's a long post:

Jab - this is sounding like possibly the best heavyweight Jab in the game. Starting at frame 4 and dealing 12% damage is crazy. It's largely the same as Charizard's from Smash 4, which is nothing to sniff at. Excellent boxing move for opponents who get close.

Forward Tilt - This sounds worrisome at frame 12, but you shouldn't be looking at this the same way as the Jab, as it has a different purpose. With armour and decent kill power, this serves too functions - to kill when a normal smash is too slow, and to armour through oncoming attacks. A comparable move is Little Mac's Forward Smash, which is obviously stronger but 2 frames slower.

Up Tilt - This is insanely fast, coming out at frame 5 - that's the same as Mario in Smash 4! It's got a big hitbox too, so looks to be a great anti-air attack.

Down Tilt - This is frame 14, so the slowest tilt, but you should bear in mind it's on par with Mario's Forward Smash - remember how hard that is to react to? This move is for the utility; it's got deceptive range and if you get a bury off of it you've likely got a KO at any reasonable percent.

Dash Attack - frame 7 (same as ROB - that's fast!), armour and a lot of damage makes this a strong burst / kill option in a similar vein to forward tilt. I think this is a more aggressive option for attacking opponents hiding behind hitboxes, whereas F-Tilt feels like a more defensive move for when you're under assault, so both have their uses.

Forward Smash - This is slow, but goodness is it strong. Not a smash attack to just throw out, but excellent kill option on buried opponents with a lot of range. Let's also remember that frame 19 is not as slow as you think it might be - that's the same as Captain Falcon in Smash 4, for example, and it looks a lot stronger.

Up Smash - This is an incredibly weird move with a lot of different uses. It has an absurdly fast first crown hitbox on frame 6, which may be a very potent anti-air or burial punish. It then has a spiking hitbox, so may have weird edge=guarding potential. I don't really know what to make of this, to be honest.

Down Smash - At frame 24, this is relatively slow, but don't let that distract you from the fact that it has super armour. This is going to be incredibly strong for hitting opponents who don't sweetspot the ledge.

Forward Throw - This is perhaps the most unclear move for K Rool in terms of its usability. It's not his most damaging, nor does it look like a kill throw, but I've heard rumblings of whether it can be used to combo. We'll see.

Back Throw - the Pushblock video suggests this might be a kill throw! I've not yet seen footage, but that sounds promising as well.

Up Throw - This looks like the most damaging throw in the entire game, with relatively low base knockback that may make it useful for low percent combos whilst allowing it to kill on platform stages.

Down Throw - This buries off of a grab - letting K Rool do whatever he wants after. The exact utility is yet to be discovered - you can mash out quickly - but at high percents this should be a guaranteed smash attack kill.

Neutral Air - This is Dedede's, but with larger range and super armour at the expense of a single frame. This is a really strong tool for escaping juggling that no other heavy looks to have.

Forward Air - This is a relatively fast (frame 10) killing aerial. I think our first job collectively should be to try figure out ways of linking into this from burials, because it's a really strong move.

Back Air - At frame 19, this is very slow, but does a crazy 19 damage with a really cool spike. Worth looking into its use after burials, because you apparently can't tech grounded spikes anymore.

Up Air - Frame 7 is very quick here, with a lot of kill power and a potential disjoint. We should investigate down throw up air as a potential option.

Down Air - same deal as back air, but a lot quicker. This should be the go to spike without trying to style.

Neutral B - This move does everything thanks to the confirmation we don't need to fire a cannonball to use the vacuum. It gives us a projectile to approach behind, a command grab to give true aerial pressure on shields, and an option to absorb other opponents projectiles.

Side B - This move looks to be as fast as Link's boomerang, and should serve a similar purpose of controlling space and forcing shields so that we can land those grabs. And it has super armour, for some reason....

Down B - K Rool has nearly everything, so you might as well throw in a counter as a potentially decent option for escaping disadvantage, as well as a good option for edgeguarding opponents with damaging recoveries.

Up B - Yeah, this is crazy good. Goes faster and farther than Duck Hunt, with a hitbox on top that messes with anyone who wants to spike or 2-frame you? This recovery is absurd.
Insanely good post, for what looks to be an insanely good character. Jesus, all of this combined with K. Rool's movement speed and weight, is really making me think that the only really detrimental thing to K. Rool is his hitbox size and what looks to be a rather shoddy airdodge. He's probably not top tier for those things alone since they do matter, but I think he may very well be high tier and extremely viable in competitive play.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Ok so we've all answered the King K Rool nitpicks, now it's time for some more love.

Pick only one. The rest can be runners up, but you have to say your absolute favourite.

Me personally, I love his entrance animation so much. It really drives home that he's a villain, but he's just having fun being an obese goofball in Smash.

Honourable mention to his running animation for being absolutely terrifying, and to his Blunderbuss animation for looking like he's up to all kinds of no good.
His walk animation. Its so goofy, powerful and cocky all in one. I love it.

Runner-ups: Run animation and K.Rool putting on his Kaptain hat just to shoot his blunderbuss only immediately to take it off.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

Some damn tough choices, but I have to go with his final smash. K. Rool getting into his stance and launching himself forward and then seeing K. Rool laugh his ass off is so incredibly satisfying. He finally get to have his dream come true! It puts a huge smile on my face. Runner-ups, everything else :ultkrool:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Gonna go with the stance he pulls during the blunderbuss's "back throw". I can't exactly describe it, but something about the way the cape and hat face towards the screen as he whirls and launches some poor sap out of this big ole gun just flows so well.

Runners-up is just about everything else, ofc, especially his throws

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

His animation for lying on his back is great, though my absolute favorite is the up smash animation. It's ridiculously goofy.

Kulty

Smash Ace

I think that F-Tilt, if timed correctly, can be a decent option at the ledge, because it can cover jump getup, getup attack (if spaced correctly), and regular get-up. However, I don't think it covers roll getup, but based on K Rool's frame data, he should be able to react to that option. I think F-Tilt can also be a decent option to cover agressive landings with super amor, but Up-Tilt looks better in that situation.

I don't know why, but the knockback of :ultkrool:'s Up-Tilt kinda reminds me of :ultdoc: Up-Tilt knockback back in Melee. The sweetspot sends you at such a weird angle in that game, and it's quite the same thing here with K Rool.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I love his dThrow and free fall anims. Plus the final smash is incredible since I know K.Rool best from DK64.

But only one... It has to be uSmash.

Sorry guys, I'm that loser on the "Ganondorf and Ridley are evil ************s, and Bowser and K.Rool are the comical ones. Yeah, the Rool is more effective than Bowser since he doesn't get side tracked by Kart racing (thought that would also be awesome, Super Mario Party DLC pls), but I like to consider K.Rool as more comical. And what sells the best? Planking with his one eye bugging way tf out of his head.

I am gonna have so much fun with that move.

NB: it's still so amazing to see him in Smash. Better than I could have hoped. I can't wait to get him!

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet

Probably his walk cycle. It just fits him so insanely well. Imposing, regal, cocky, goofy.

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666
Off the top of my head it's gotta be the blunderbuss animation, I'm so happy he puts on his pirate hat. I didn't think we would see references to his costumes at all so I was very pleasantly surprised to see three of them, and the blunderbuss feels just like it did in DKC2.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
For nitpicks and highlights:

--A lot of my nitpicks are less of actual complaints and more of me being unsure to feel about decisions in interpreting K. Rool that wouldn't have been the personal decisions I'd have made. And that's not necessarily a bad thing - I adore his new feral Ratigan running animation, but I'm pretty sure animation difficulties stemming from it are why he doesn't have any alternate costumes or a longer tail. Would I trade the running on all fours for him running upright and getting costumes and the tail? Yeah, probably, but I totally appreciate the different direction they went with. Especially since the extra flourish of him putting on the Kaptain hat exclusively to fire the blunderbuss shows an understanding of how important that persona is in the fans' eyes (and it's a hilarious character touch to boot).

--I also would have interpreted K. Rool's character to be a bit more overtly cocky and showboating. I see his portrayal here as projecting a sort of quiet smugness, which fits in terms of him being superior and elitist, but it would have been nice to also see taunts or victory poses where he mimics the "YEEEAH! THANK YOU!!!" from DK64 or has a bout of evil laughter. By the same token, I can appreciate how K. Rool's biting and belly-slapping taunts put a new spin on existing taunts from Bowser and Dedede, given his (suspected) origin as a joke take on the Big Animal Final Boss trope, but I would've traded them for the two aforementioned ones that reference his source material more closely (though, given the sheer number of obscure references there already, it's not a huge loss).

--A positive aspect of K. Rool's animation is that, in contrast with many other characters on the roster, he's -reactive- as his animations progress. As a comparison, most characters swing a sword or throw a punch, and it's one static, stoic expression throughout; maybe if they're lucky, they'll have a funny animation when they're hit with an attack. K. Rool, on the other hand, leers at victims he grabs and gets concerned, with his eye bulging, when he whiffs one. When he stomps down or planks, he goes from a frown to an eager open-mouthed expression, or a goofy playing-dead face. He looks sneaky when using the blunderbuss vacuum and visibly excited when he grabs someone; he laughs when you whiff a Kounter but laughs harder when he lands one. He's every bit as expressive as people in here knew he would be in advocating for him, and that's so cool to see in action. He's dynamic.

--I also especially like K. Rool flapping his hands stupidly when he's descending with the helicopter pack. Partially because it's hilarious, and partly because it's a faithful recreation of something obscure from DKC3, showing just how extensively Sakurai and co. did their homework on the character. Nintendo's acknowledgement of the Country series basically boils down to DKC1 because it's the original, Returns because it's the new aesthetic under Retro and Tropical Freeze because it's the newest title and they no longer will get pilloried by the GameSpots of the world for praising its gameplay. You'll get a nod to DKC2 every now and then, with Dixie showing up or with a remix, but DKC3 is basically lost to time. Despite it being a damn good game, it has never been referenced in Smash before Ultimate, outside of a lone "appearance" listing on Squitter's trophy, and it's only ever brought up in an official capacity when people want to go for the low-hanging fruit of making fun of Kiddy Kong. Hell, despite it being ubiquitous in K. Rool movesets, I was fully expecting K. Rool to use some generic jump for an Up Special instead of the helicopter pack, just because of how ignored DKC3 has been. But not only did Sakurai incorporate the pack, he went for the dopey flourish Rare added for after you hit Baron K. Roolenstein in his boss fight. In other words, it's an obscure detail from the most obscure Country. That's amazing, and it's emblematic of just how much love and effort they put into making sure they didn't just bring back K. Rool but did him -justice-.

Last edited:
Top Bottom