• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Alright boys, there's been a lot of 'I love K Rool' and 'K Rool looks so good'. And that's nice and all, but you know what this thread needs? Hatred.

So my question to you all is, what do you dislike the MOST about K Rool's Smash incarnation?

Anyone giving a non-answer like 'I hate he took this long' or 'I like everything' is missing the point and will be shot out the port side cannon.

I'll start. The thing that irks me THE MOST about King K Rool is his Belly Armor Stun. I get the need for balance, but I do not want Marth to get a free stun on me because I threw out a button in neutral and he just hit my belly with a nair leading to a fully charged Shield Breaker.

What does Bair mean?
Back Aerial.

Last edited:

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet
Alright boys, there's been a lot of 'I love K Rool' and 'K Rool looks so good'. And that's nice and all, but you know what this thread needs? Hatred.

So my question to you all is, what do you dislike the MOST about K Rool's Smash incarnation?
Hmm...I kinda dislike that they didn't add his 2, 3, and 64 costumes as alts, but in retrospect I'm glad they didn't, as it would not only convolute his crown throw, but also block his breastplate and make it difficult to see the cracks on. If those were not factors, I'm 100% certain that they would have had the alts.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

Anyone giving a non-answer like 'I hate he took this long' or 'I like everything' is missing the point and will be shot out the port side cannon.

I'll start. The thing that irks me THE MOST about King K Rool is his Belly Armor Stun. I get the need for balance, but I do not want Marth to get a free stun on me because I threw out a button in neutral and he just hit my belly with a nair leading to a fully charged Shield Breaker.
No Kaptain alt. But really, that's the only complaint I've got.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

Back Aerial.
I guess Counters still aren't the most exciting special and I would enjoy something a little different, but that really isnt big, all things considered.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
User was warned for this post; double posting
My Smash 4 mains were Lucina and Corrin, that'll never change.
And now I'm proud to welcome King K Rool and Incineroar to the fold.

Have y'all decided what alts to pick? I'm definitely going for the gold alt, I like the Desert Krok thing it has going for it.

Back Aerial.

I really, really, REALLY wish he'd use his teeth for at least one attack. A pummel even.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I keep thinking about World of Light and praying to GOD the game isn't long and the only way to unlock characters. I fear K.Rool may be one of the last fighters you unlock. I NEED him ASAP! We are so close...I've waited 17 years for K.Rool to join Smash and 10 years for him to appear in another game (as most of us have). I'll be a bit disappointed if World of Light is like a 10 hour adventure and K.Rool is like the last unlock. World of Light also doesn't look THAT fun to me either. But who knows hopefully they bring back VS. matches as way to unlock characters as well. 1-stock run off the edge hundreds of times, here I come! lol
World Of Light looks very non-linear, so if you don't mind doing so you could always research the quickest path to finding K. Rool.

No cannonball with the ability to have spikes appear after hitting the ground
No Pirate and Baron alts.

And to a lesser extent his counter, was expecting something more "K.Rool-ish" like...

A klaptrap thrown on stage which would work similar to the Bowser Jr mechakoopa
An oil drum with a random baddy appearing, similar to Duck Hunt Duo's Wild Gunman move

(Am aware Klaptrap is an assist, plus that is probably too many projectiles/deployable hazards for one character in addition to the crown and blunderbuss, plus acknowledge that those counter ideas probably both work better as assist trophies anyway)

Theyre really minor though, using his girth and throwing his weight around, literally, adds another dimension to the character usually not seen and looks fun. We received a great incarnation and an excellent representation of K.Rool with a fresh take on the character, all things considered.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I keep thinking about World of Light and praying to GOD the game isn't long and the only way to unlock characters. I fear K.Rool may be one of the last fighters you unlock. I NEED him ASAP! We are so close...I've waited 17 years for K.Rool to join Smash and 10 years for him to appear in another game (as most of us have). I'll be a bit disappointed if World of Light is like a 10 hour adventure and K.Rool is like the last unlock. World of Light also doesn't look THAT fun to me either. But who knows hopefully they bring back VS. matches as way to unlock characters as well. 1-stock run off the edge hundreds of times, here I come! lol
Not that I don't understand the desire to unlock the characters you want as quickly as possible, but would you really rather spend the first few hours of Ultimate self destructing over and over rather than just playing the story mode? Having done this in 4 I found it much more dull than just working my way through SSE in Brawl. This said, I always prefer going through each of the single player modes at least once before going into standard smash anyway.

As a suggestion, why not instead start with DKs Classic Mode? There's a non-zero chance you'll unlock King K Rool (Or Diddy Kong, whose own Classic Mode might then work) this way and it's much quicker and more fun than running off the edge repeatedly.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo..............apparently KKR has invincibility on his Blunderbuss when he's actually firing. It's very noticeable at 1:48 here

Also worth noting that his Cannonball has a hitbox when it's landing on the ground after it hits something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I guess my only complaint is that he didn't use the Kredits as his final smash.

Literally that's the only thing.

But honestly His final smash is perfect being the Blast-O-Maric and Sakurai and team did him right. Geez no complaints really.

Shows how good a job Masahiro Sakurai and team did on him.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo..............apparently KKR has invincibility on his Blunderbuss when he's actually firing. It's very noticeable at 1:48 here

Also worth noting that his Cannonball has a hitbox when it's landing on the ground after it hits something.
Speaking of that match, I noticed that K. Rool plays dead when he's laying on his back. You can see it clearly when Yoshi does his final smash on K. Rool.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman

Back Aerial.
Chris Sutherland not voicing him. But everything else about K. Rool is so crisp that honestly I can’t complain that much.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

The lack of Toshihide Tsuchiya's voice work is probably the most notable thing that I don't like about King K. Rool's Smash portrayal. Nintendo must not want to pay their typical voice actors, which is rather crazy, considering that Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser still sound like their usual selves in Super Mario Party.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Back Aerial.
I think my least favourite thing, from what I've seen, is that they gave him a counter. After it felt like half of the Smash 4 newcomers had counters of some sort (:4bayonetta::4corrinf::4greninja::4littlemac::4lucina::4palutena::4ryu::4shulk::4miisword:, and I might have missed some), it just seems so lazy.

Untouch

Smash Master

Back Aerial.
The krown.
Really odd decision to let other characters pick the crown up but not you.

Kulty

Smash Ace

Back Aerial.
For me, there's a few things I find a bit of a missed opportunity for K Rool. For one, the belly counter is lazy. So many characters with counters is just not that creative. It really got old after Smash 4. Second, I wish it was :ultkrool:voice actor instead of realistic animal sounds, but I don't mind it with K Rool that much unlike characters like:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultbowser:. The three having realistic sounds just don't fit with their character that well. Diddy especially is really annoying to listen to with realistic gorilla grunts that I wish it was his actual voice actor. Other than that, the two are pretty minor nitpicks and I still think that the Krocodile is one of the most well-designed characters (based on their original source material) out of all the fighters in Smash (about the lvl of :ultmegaman:). :)

EDIT: Another thing (but not really a big deal anyways), his crown is a bit too small unlike his crown in DKC1. :laugh:

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
The lack of Toshihide Tsuchiya's voice work is probably the most notable thing that I don't like about King K. Rool's Smash portrayal. Nintendo must not want to pay their typical voice actors, which is rather crazy, considering that Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser still sound like their usual selves in Super Mario Party.
Really!? That's a good thing for me. I HATE K.Rool's paon voice. It's terrible he went from a Darth Vader sounding deep voiced villain in DK64 to sounding like a "mentally handicapped fat Jerry Lewis". Toshihide is definitely better for Funky (sounds like Lil Jon) than he is as K.Rool IMO.

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet
Have y'all decided what alts to pick? I'm definitely going for the gold alt, I like the Desert Krok thing it has going for it.
I'm digging the gold one and the dark red one with the green cape. But I like his default just as much.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Really!? That's a good thing for me. I HATE K.Rool's paon voice. It's terrible he went from a Darth Vader sounding deep voiced villain in DK64 to sounding like a "mentally handicapped fat Jerry Lewis". Toshihide is definitely better for Funky (sounds like Lil Jon) than he is as K.Rool IMO.
Seeing as King K. Rool uses his Paon design for Smash Ultimate, that's pretty much why I've mentioned Toshihide Tsuchiya; he was also the last person to voice King K. Rool.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Seeing as King K. Rool uses his Paon design for Smash Ultimate, that's pretty much why I've mentioned Toshihide Tsuchiya; he was also the last person to voice King K. Rool.
I don't see Smash's design as strictly Paon. I see it as a mixture of both Rare and Paon. The darker green skin, golden belly, personality, and tail (even if it is short) is taken from Rare. The small crown, blue jewel, and face are taken from Paon. It's a mixture of both worlds and that's why it's perfect to me. I know we wouldn't get K.Rool's Rare voice (for obvious reasons) but I'm glad they just went with generic crocodile noises (which I was originally against) over the Paon voice honestly.

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet
Don't know if I'm the only one to hold this view, but I've always liked K. Rool's voice from the show the most.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't see Smash's design as strictly Paon. I see it as a mixture of both Rare and Paon. The darker green skin, golden belly, personality, and tail (even if it is short) is taken from Rare. The small crown, blue jewel, and face are taken from Paon. It's a mixture of both worlds and that's why it's perfect to me. I know we wouldn't get K.Rool's Rare voice (for obvious reasons) but I'm glad they just went with generic crocodile noises (which I was originally against) over the Paon voice honestly.
To each his own then. On my end, I'm not too annoyed with Toshihide Tsuchiya's voice work. Also, the whole Super Mario universe tends to follow a cartoonish vibe, which is another reason why seeing K. Rool sound like a real world crocodile just didn't feel right to me.

Last edited:

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
I've been watching a ton of Smash via streams this weekend and I'm still in awe at how much love and care was put into K. Rool. Sakurai and his team have done more with him than I could have ever asked for. It's surreal seeing how much his move set is pulled from his many appearances. It's a wonder how fans campaigned this character out of obscurity. I'm very thankful for it.

At the same time though, I find myself questioning why Dixie Kong still isn't present. Don't get me wrong, If given the choice between getting K. Rool or Dixie in Ultimate I would pick K. Rool every time. It's just odd seeing her excluded as she's the last significant character in DKC not playable. I'm huge DKC fan and obviously would take any character thrown at me. Cranky and Funky in particular would be neat, but we don't really need those characters playable. Both originated as NPCs in the SNES trilogy. I'm not too hopeful that she'll appear as DLC, either. She doesn't seem like a character that Nintendo would internally choose in my opinion.

Ah well, there's no use crying over spoiled milk. Ultimate has plenty of things to be excited about. Ridley and K. Rool are finally playable after decades of support, and in the same game no less! Dixie Kong always felt like an obvious inclusion to me, but these two were the real pipe dreams. Imagine if this had leaked back in March.

Last edited:

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666

Back Aerial.
I wish his crown was bigger.

StormC

Smash Hero
Not that I don't understand the desire to unlock the characters you want as quickly as possible, but would you really rather spend the first few hours of Ultimate self destructing over and over rather than just playing the story mode? Having done this in 4 I found it much more dull than just working my way through SSE in Brawl. This said, I always prefer going through each of the single player modes at least once before going into standard smash anyway.

As a suggestion, why not instead start with DKs Classic Mode? There's a non-zero chance you'll unlock King K Rool (Or Diddy Kong, whose own Classic Mode might then work) this way and it's much quicker and more fun than running off the edge repeatedly.
We should know the unlock methods before too long. Game journalists and whatnot will have it soon.

At the same time though, I find myself questioning why Dixie Kong still isn't present.
With only a few true newcomers, there wasn't much room for her, I would guess. She's probably unrealizable as an echo, and the other characters are big enough that it's difficult to justify cutting them, except maybe Incineroar, but Pokemon always gets special treatment.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy You were asking what happens when K Rool Dthrows someone who's off the ledge? In the FFA I linked earlier, He grabs Incineroar at the edge, and just brings him back in towards the ground to bury him.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
With only a few true newcomers, there wasn't much room for her, I would guess. She's probably unrealizable as an echo, and the other characters are big enough that it's difficult to justify cutting them, except maybe Incineroar, but Pokemon always gets special treatment.
It's understandable. There's so much content in this game that having a lot of newcomers would be impossible. Sakurai managed to bring back every character that's been playable before, brought in a few new characters, and got people excited for clones. I really can't complain.

Who knows, maybe Dixie can get a campaign going like K. Rool had. Although K. Rool having one made more sense considering his was more about bringing the character back in general. It's not like Dixie Kong has been buried or anything.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy You were asking what happens when K Rool Dthrows someone who's off the ledge? In the FFA I linked earlier, He grabs Incineroar at the edge, and just brings him back in towards the ground to bury him.
So that pretty much means that you can't use the d-throw on its own to make KOs. By the way, does anyone know if getting buried still reduces how much knockback a fighter will take (like in Smash 3DS / Wii U)?

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Finally some footage of DK vs. K.Rool! I've been wanting to see a match between them just to see the size comparison. Not gonna lie it is a bit jarring seeing DK just as big if not bigger than Rool but I can get use to it. Boy is it satisfying seeing DK use his final smash on K.Rool. Takes me back! lol

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Will there ever be any footage of King K. Rool facing any fighters with reflectors (besides Zelda)? It would be interesting to see how Fox and Falco can deal with K. Rool's projectile options.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'll probably being unlocking all the characters through Classic Mode and Event Matches, but if I have to unlock all of them in order by number, then I'll just use my Amiibos to unlock my mains as well as Ridley. I wish we could get that K. Rool Amiibo the day Ultimate cames out so we could unlock him faster instead of just playing through hours of the game to get our hands on him.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Will there ever be any footage of King K. Rool facing any fighters with reflectors (besides Zelda)? It would be interesting to see how Fox and Falco can deal with K. Rool's projectile options.
Probably just by using their speed and frame data to outmaneuver them. K. Rool's projectiles are mainly used to condition foes rather than actually zoning them out, since they're too slow for that. The ranges where it would be optimal to reflect them are also dangerous enough for K. Rool to run up and attack or grab, so all you really have to do is not be predictable... but even then, K. Rool can probably just suck up cannonballs that are reflected back at him.

StormC

Smash Hero
Who knows, maybe Dixie can get a campaign going like K. Rool had. Although K. Rool having one made more sense considering his was more about bringing the character back in general. It's not like Dixie Kong has been buried or anything.
The Dixie thread is trying to get one going, although Sakurai more or less saying on Twitter "don't ask me for any more characters" might have killed that.

I think there was always a sort of complacency with Dixie because it was assumed she would just get in on her own merits. Her not being in the game has lit a bit of a fire under them, but she probably won't get big until the next game.

Not gonna lie it is a bit jarring seeing DK just as big if not bigger than Rool but I can get use to it.
Sakurai did apologize for that: "In order to make him more K. Rool-esque, we had to make sure he stood up perfectly straight. Of course, we couldn’t make him too tall, however, so please forgive us for shrinking him down a bit." DK has always had the tallest t-pose in Smash anyway, at least until Ridley.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yeah I remember that quote from Sakurai this is a small nitpick but I always felt DK was much bigger in Smash than he really needed to be. I feel they could've shrunken DK down a bit from his current size and he would still be/feel like DK.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wonder if Bowser will still be the heaviest character in the game. If K. Rool is not the heaviest character, he should at least be the 2nd heaviest.

Top Bottom