• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I couldn't tell you how it's actually coded in, but here's some footage so you can see exactly how it's working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDN3Eq_CN_M

ROB's works the same way. I've not heard of any other character getting one of these yet.
So based on what the video shows, the d-tilt has a sourspot hitbox; you have to hit with the sweetspot to bury anyone.

When I got to 1:25, I saw the d-throw in action. I tried slowing down the video to see if Diddy Kong gets released before getting buried, and it appears that he got buried before taking any damage, and is buried upside-down. There must be some special coding for King K. Rool's d-throw, which never existed in Smash 3DS / Wii U, since when I modified Giga Bowser's d-throw, I had to set up the d-throw's script as follows if I wanted Giga Bowser to bury his grabbed target.

Code:
Throw_Specifier(ID=0x0, Bone=0x0, Damage=0, Angle=0x10E, KBG=0x64, WBKB=0x28, BKB=0x0, Effect?=0xB, Unknown=1, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x0, SFX?=0x0, airground=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Type?=0x8)
Throw_Specifier(ID=0x1, Bone=0x0, Damage=8, Angle=0x169, KBG=0x64, WBKB=0x0, BKB=0x3C, Effect?=0xB, Unknown=1, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x0, SFX?=0x0, airground=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Type?=0x8)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=44)
Throw_Applier(ID=0x0, Bone=0x1A, Unknown=0x11000005, Unknown=0x11000006, Unknown=0x11000007)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=45)
Extended_Hitbox(ID=0x0, Part=0x0, Bone=0x0, Damage=30, Angle=0x0, KBG=0x14, WBKB=0x0, BKB=0x50, Size=15, X=0, Y=0, Z=50, Effect=0xB, Trip=0, Hitlag=0, SDI=0, Clang=0x0, Rebound=0x0, ShieldDamage=0x14, SFXLevel=0x2, SFXType=0x2, Ground/Air=0x3, Direct/Indirect=0x1, Type=0x2, X2=0, Y2=0, Z2=-5)
Synchronous_Timer(Frames=3)
Remove_All_Hitboxes()
Script_End()

Also, is there any evidence of King K. Rool's d-throw dealing collateral damage as well?

Anyway, got further into the video and saw that if King K. Rool loses his crown, a new one will eventually spawn if it disappears. And at 2:23, the Blunderbuss can grab nearby fighters, but I'm wondering if that won't work against giant-sized fighters. At 4:20, it looks like King K. Rool has his own version of the Jolt Haymaker; looks to be devastatingly strong if it KO'd Diddy below 90% damage near the stage edge.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geez King K. Rool looking better and better.

Learning new things and he's grand!

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
So based on what the video shows, the d-tilt has a sourspot hitbox; you have to hit with the sweetspot to bury anyone.

When I got to 1:25, I saw the d-throw in action. I tried slowing down the video to see if Diddy Kong gets released before getting buried, and it appears that he got buried before taking any damage, and is buried upside-down. There must be some special coding for King K. Rool's d-throw, which never existed in Smash 3DS / Wii U, since when I modified Giga Bowser's d-throw, I had to set up the d-throw's script as follows if I wanted Giga Bowser to bury his grabbed target.

Code:
Throw_Specifier(ID=0x0, Bone=0x0, Damage=0, Angle=0x10E, KBG=0x64, WBKB=0x28, BKB=0x0, Effect?=0xB, Unknown=1, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x0, SFX?=0x0, airground=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Type?=0x8)
Throw_Specifier(ID=0x1, Bone=0x0, Damage=8, Angle=0x169, KBG=0x64, WBKB=0x0, BKB=0x3C, Effect?=0xB, Unknown=1, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x0, SFX?=0x0, airground=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Type?=0x8)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=44)
Throw_Applier(ID=0x0, Bone=0x1A, Unknown=0x11000005, Unknown=0x11000006, Unknown=0x11000007)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=45)
Extended_Hitbox(ID=0x0, Part=0x0, Bone=0x0, Damage=30, Angle=0x0, KBG=0x14, WBKB=0x0, BKB=0x50, Size=15, X=0, Y=0, Z=50, Effect=0xB, Trip=0, Hitlag=0, SDI=0, Clang=0x0, Rebound=0x0, ShieldDamage=0x14, SFXLevel=0x2, SFXType=0x2, Ground/Air=0x3, Direct/Indirect=0x1, Type=0x2, X2=0, Y2=0, Z2=-5)
Synchronous_Timer(Frames=3)
Remove_All_Hitboxes()
Script_End()

Also, is there any evidence of King K. Rool's d-throw dealing collateral damage as well?

Anyway, got further into the video and saw that if King K. Rool loses his crown, a new one will eventually spawn if it disappears. And at 2:23, the Blunderbuss can grab nearby fighters, but I'm wondering if that won't work against giant-sized fighters. At 4:20, it looks like King K. Rool has his own version of the Jolt Haymaker; looks to be devastatingly strong if it KO'd Diddy below 90% damage near the stage edge.
My man what are you on about

It acts like Lucas's dthrow in smash 4, except whereas the opponents affected by Lucas's dthrow would be released after a set time, the ones buried by King K Rool would have to wiggle out of it, like regular buries. I don't see why you're having such a hard time grasping this.

As for Blunderbuss, of course the succ would work on every fighter, including the heavyweights. If they're giant, then it'll probably behave like other command grabs against giant fighters, i.e not work.

The "Jolt Haymaker" is King K Rool's bair. It spikes, and is also very powerful.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
have we actually come to a consensus what his alts are refering to?

If I may throw my (pirate) hat into the ring, in order from left to right according to this image: https://smashboards.com/attachments/kingkroolallaltcolors-png.175318/

2nd: This one is kinda hard for me, as I do not believe it's meant to be Klump or the Kaptain. Personally, I believe it references the RocKrocs from DKC1

3rd: Easily a variant of Krusha, although one wonders why the cape wasn't changed to green

4th: All sorts of yellowish Kremlings fit here, most notably for me are the jumping Kritters from DKC1's 4th world, or the Recoils from DKC3

5th: Most likely the Klump or Kannon variant (it's the Skin shown with the blue alt in one of the promo snap shots. makes me believe those are seen as the alts refering to K Rool's right hand men Klump and Krusha

6th: The dark one is another one hard to pin down. Kudgel could be possible, or another variant of the jumping Kritters from DKC1

7th: The one I wanna use the most, the dark brown just screams Kaptain to me, referencing his jacket and with the green cape, the overall color sceme of the Kaptain remains intact

8th: Though the blue cape really throws me off, the white could easily reference the Baron

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My man what are you on about

It acts like Lucas's dthrow in smash 4, except whereas the opponents affected by Lucas's dthrow would be released after a set time, the ones buried by King K Rool would have to wiggle out of it, like regular buries. I don't see why you're having such a hard time grasping this.
I've done my fair share of moveset edits, so King K. Rool's d-throw and its burying properties had me asking questions. Before Ultimate, the only known fighter who could bury fighters with his/her d-throw was Giga Bowser, but it couldn't bury his grabbed target (only those caught in the crossfire).

C-G

Smash Journeyman
I've done my fair share of moveset edits, so King K. Rool's d-throw and its burying properties had me asking questions. Before Ultimate, the only known fighter who could bury fighters with his/her d-throw was Giga Bowser, but it couldn't bury his grabbed target (only those caught in the crossfire).
And that's cool and all, but 1) This is Smash Ultimate and they're heavily changing how the mechanics of the game work and 2) We have video evidence of it happening so it's clearly possible. Coming in and saying 'Nah, that's impossible' when there's video proof is rather....perplexing

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
And that's cool and all, but 1) This is Smash Ultimate and they're heavily changing how the mechanics of the game work and 2) We have video evidence of it happening so it's clearly possible. Coming in and saying 'Nah, that's impossible' when there's video proof is rather....perplexing
Yeah, I get it. But I just had to ask, because I was uncertain if King K. Rool's d-throw received special coding that enables it to bury fighters properly. Little Mac's KO Uppercut ignores super armor, even when used in the air, and there's clearly special coding involved in that; there's really no way to make an attack ignore super armor by merely editing the game.bin file, so some more advanced coding was clearly done.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This is why I personally scoff at all these "balance suggestion" threads I've all over the Ultimate character forums. For one thing they're looking at characters in an older engine, and it would be one thing if it was just ways to make them better in that same one... but this is a brand new game where we don't even know all the changes characters actually have, let alone how the new physics affect them. At least wait a few months or years to see how they do here before claiming to know how to make them better without upsetting the balance of the game too much.

D

Deleted member

People are going to come up with some great strategies and play styles for the King!

Should be fun.

I look forward to it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Things are shaping up greatly for our Kremling King! I will definitely play him out a lot. I already analysed his moveset well and throughly and will be able to play him semi-decently on the get go, which feels great! Haven't felt this much excitement for a newcomer since Diddy in Brawl, where I also SERIOUSLY went in-debt to check his moveset and everything. So yeah, am grateful K.Rool is one of the very few newcomers in Ultimate and the way he's designed is awesome! It's like Sakurai finally realise how to balance a heavyweight properly. K.Rool's moveset reeks of his character, being both extremely cruel, and goofy at the same time. It's full of moves that we all suggested, and so much more! That Down Smash or D Tilt for example, or that awesome B Air which is the first B Air spike I know of besides Lucas's! Who here would ever dare to think of such sillyness? It's like Sakurai knew we would settle with a character that's comb-food, and then designed something awesome around it to make his weaknesses not as bad as they are on paper.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not sure if you guys heard, but...

The stream's finished now, but if you wanna watch the footage to about the 03:03:00 mark to hear the Bonus Room Blitz/Map Theme in its entirety for the first time. IT SOUNDS SO GOOD. If they do the rest of the DK tracks the same justice they did this and Gangplank Galleon, then it almost makes up for 'lol Jungle Japes' in the past few games.
This sounds promising.

Things are shaping up greatly for our Kremling King! I will definitely play him out a lot. I already analysed his moveset well and throughly and will be able to play him semi-decently on the get go, which feels great! Haven't felt this much excitement for a newcomer since Diddy in Brawl, where I also SERIOUSLY went in-debt to check his moveset and everything. So yeah, am grateful K.Rool is one of the very few newcomers in Ultimate and the way he's designed is awesome! It's like Sakurai finally realise how to balance a heavyweight properly. K.Rool's moveset reeks of his character, being both extremely cruel, and goofy at the same time. It's full of moves that we all suggested, and so much more! That Down Smash or D Tilt for example, or that awesome B Air which is the first B Air spike I know of besides Lucas's! Who here would ever dare to think of such sillyness? It's like Sakurai knew we would settle with a character that's comb-food, and then designed something awesome around it to make his weaknesses not as bad as they are on paper.
Which is great to me, because the funnest heavyweight I used before kept getting the shaft. :ultkingdedede:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know, I just realized something. What would happen if King K. Rool uses his d-throw, but there's no ground to bury his grabbed target with? Would the throw operate like a meteor smash?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
meleebrawler meleebrawler

No, what I mean is what's the d-throw's knockback angle? If it can meteor smash, that could be one heck of a KO maker if King K. Rool manages to grab someone while near the edge of a stage. Of course, that's assuming that the throw deals good knockback.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
meleebrawler meleebrawler

No, what I mean is what's the d-throw's knockback angle? If it can meteor smash, that could be one heck of a KO maker if King K. Rool manages to grab someone while near the edge of a stage. Of course, that's assuming that the throw deals good knockback.
Obviously comparing to Smash 4 is a bit of a mistake, but historically, DK's Headbutt soft spiked.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Obviously comparing to Smash 4 is a bit of a mistake, but historically, DK's Headbutt soft spiked.
True, attacks that bury don't always have meteor smash properties, and the amount of knockback dealt can influence how long a fighter would stay buried. But seeing as King K. Rool is throwing his grabbed target straight down, I would think that the throw would meteor smash if there's no ground to bury a fighter with. I guess the only way to know for certain is to test this scenario for ourselves.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm going to make King K. Rool my second main after I unlock him, he's a character I wanted in and he seems like a powerful, projectile heavy, and good combo character to use. Mario will always be my number #1 and Link will be third. Never letting go of the Hero of Time. But digging the Kremling King too much not to make a major main of mine. So looking forward to it.

Adding onto his power and strength plus, projectiles he seems like his dthrow will be quite effective pretty cool and that makes him even better.

D

Deleted member

Really cool they look awesome together and show heavyweights can be awesome, thought about what I said earlier and yeah definetly going to main him as my third main, Link's great and I don't want to give him up as a secondary main so he will be second, so Mario, and Link as my 1st main and Link as my second main, but I plan on using and enjoying King K . Rool as a third main and he will. Be a character I enjoy as much as them.

Going to be fun.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Difficulty choosing characters seems to be a theme for this game, what with there being so many to choose from.

I've got my Brawl main returning (ICs), my Smash 4 main still fresh (ROB) and King K Rool to look forward to for 3v3 squad strike. For general singles I am going to attempt to dual main KKR with ROB. I've never really tried to invest time into multiple characters before, but if there were ever a game to do it in it's this one.

The Event Mask

Smash Cadet
I plan on having three mains in this game. First is Ganondorf, he's been my main since melee. Ridley is the second main considering I've wanted him since Brawl and he looks fun to play. Finally King K Rool, while not my number one most wanted, he was a very close second. K Rool in this game is exactly what I wanted, goofy but cool. He also looks a ton of fun to play as.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I'm going to make King K. Rool my second main after I unlock him, he's a character I wanted in and he seems like a powerful, projectile heavy, and good combo character to use. Mario will always be my number #1 and Link will be third. Never letting go of the Hero of Time. But digging the Kremling King too much not to make a major main of mine. So looking forward to it.

Adding onto his power and strength plus, projectiles he seems like his dthrow will be quite effective pretty cool and that makes him even better.
Same. Still gonna solo-main :ultmario: (since I only like to main 1 character), but:ultkrool:will be a definite secondary. I did not really care for super heavyweights in previous Smash games until Smash 4 where they were not just punching bags, but can actually put up a fight. My second secondary is between:ultshulk::ultmarth:.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah the game the game is great and has so many characters. Choose who you want. Honestly we're lucky we may never get a roster this big again so I'm grateful.

Mario will always be my main, easy to pick up and use and his combo game is on point like Utilt to Utilt to USmash. So that was an easy choice.

Link has great projectiles, and good close range his most affective attribute seems to be his range of weapons. So using that well will be essential. So he was another easy choice.

King K. Rool versatile with his Blunderbuss, and crown toss plus lots of combo potential. Going to be fun. Can't wait.

Honestly just use whichever character you feel like and go with that. Use whoever you feel best wit It's your decision.

So yes choosing will be hard but we got options which is great!

Kulty

Smash Ace
Yeah the game the game is great and has so many characters. Choose who you want. Honestly we're lucky we may never get a roster this big again so I'm grateful.

Mario will always be my main, easy to pick up and use and his combo game is on point like Utilt to Utilt to USmash. So that was an easy choice.

Link has great projectiles, and good close range his most affective attribute seems to be his range of weapons. So using that well will be essential. So he was another easy choice.

King K. Rool versatile with his Blunderbuss, and crown toss plus lots of combo potential. Going to be fun. Can't wait.

Honestly just use whichever character you feel like and go with that. Use whoever you feel best wit It's your decision.

So yes choosing will be hard but we got options which is great!
Yes, but me switching from solo-maining:ultmario:to solo-maining:ultkrool:is not out of the realm of possibility for me. So far, Mario is the only character in Smash that I have playstyle and character loyalty out of every fighter in Smash history. :ultshulk::ultmarth:are mainly playstyle loyalty to me. If:ultkrool:joins my loyalty squad, but with the level of Mario, I might switch to him, just bc he might need a bit more practice since he looks a bit harder to use than Mario. Then again I'll see.

And having a big roster is both a good and a bad thing. I'm glad you start with the original 8 fighters from Smash 64 just to not get overwhelmed by the amount of characters that you want to play. :)

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I keep thinking about World of Light and praying to GOD the game isn't long and the only way to unlock characters. I fear K.Rool may be one of the last fighters you unlock. I NEED him ASAP! We are so close...I've waited 17 years for K.Rool to join Smash and 10 years for him to appear in another game (as most of us have). I'll be a bit disappointed if World of Light is like a 10 hour adventure and K.Rool is like the last unlock. World of Light also doesn't look THAT fun to me either. But who knows hopefully they bring back VS. matches as way to unlock characters as well. 1-stock run off the edge hundreds of times, here I come! lol

D

Deleted member

Yes, but me switching from solo-maining:ultmario:to solo-maining:ultkrool:is not out of the realm of possibility for me. So far, Mario is the only character in Smash that I have playstyle and character loyalty out of every fighter in Smash history. :ultshulk::ultmarth:are mainly playstyle loyalty to me. If:ultkrool:joins my loyalty squad, but with the level of Mario, I might switch to him, just bc he might need a bit more practice since he looks a bit harder to use than Mario. Then again I'll see.

And having a big roster is both a good and a bad thing. I'm glad you start with the original 8 fighters from Smash 64 just to not get overwhelmed by the amount of characters that you want to play. :)
That's fine main who you want and use who you feel comfortable with. Nice too see another Mario main, also have fun with King K. Rool and all the other characters you use.

And yeah I agree, the original 8 will be fine till we unlock everyone.

World of Light? We'll see he might be one of the last we unlock but we'll see. I will use him a lot in it once I get him though.

Kulty

Smash Ace
That's fine main who you want and use who you feel comfortable with. Nice too see another Mario main, also have fun with King K. Rool and all the other characters you use.

And yeah I agree, the original 8 will be fine till we unlock everyone.

World of Light? We'll see he might be one of the last we unlock but we'll see. I will use him a lot in it once I get him though.
Same here. Yeah I hope K Rool is not one of the last fighters to unlock. King K Rool is like the character I want to unlock the quickest, but I think we have to unlock the characters according to their number, so basically from Luigi to Incineroar if you do the matches method. We have character specific requirements, but I feel K Rool might be one of the most complicated ones to do, or in World In Light, he might be one of the last fighters to rescue which I hope it's not the case. I won't expect to rescue him in the first half of the story mode at least unless if we optimize the path to rescue him, since the World Map seems like a huge labyrinth and messing around with paths to go through.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Yall are going too small. I'm planning on running at least :ultwario::ultkrool::ultdk::ultcloud: and experimenting with :ultdoc::ultincineroar::ultkingdedede::ultlittlemac::ultganondorf::ultsnake:. Game's got 70+ characters. You're gonna need a full roster to keep up

Kulty

Smash Ace
Yall are going too small. I'm planning on running at least :ultwario::ultkrool::ultdk::ultcloud: and experimenting with :ultdoc::ultincineroar::ultkingdedede::ultlittlemac::ultganondorf::ultsnake:. Game's got 70+ characters. You're gonna need a full roster to keep up
Still obviously gonna play the entire roster since there's so many other characters I love to play. However, in terms of competitive focus, I rather just play a few to improve fast and optimize my favorite fighters, but that's just me. Everyone has their own way of playing Smash as stated by our man Sakurai. :)

D

Deleted member

Shoot that's hefty.

Well good luck you Definetly have options in who you use.

C-G.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll start out with :ultdk:, then try to unlock either :ultcloud: or :ultkrool: as far as I can. You can see my Squad Strike team in my sig: :ultkrool::ultcloud::ultridley::ultsnake::ultwolf:

Characters I plan to mess around with, but not sure if they'll enter my rotation, include: :ultganondorf::ultincineroar::ultrichter::ultmewtwo:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
To all my fellow K. Rool mains out there, I think that the Kroc's Bair is my new favorite move. In addition, we shall call it our BAIR-ead and butter from now on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom