• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's really sweet how, after doing K. Rool such justice as a character and taking heed of the outpouring of fan support, Sakurai is -apologizing- that he had to reduce Rool's size to make him work as a character...a detail that I haven't seen one single fan complain about with everything else great about his portrayal.

Once the man commits to an inclusion, he really goes above and beyond, down to the smallest of details.

On that note, I am planning on gathering together all the names of people who want to be added onto the thank-you message to Sakurai. If you haven't put your name down in this thread already, and are still interested in doing so, you have a few more hours.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yeah, if he didn't want K. Rool in, then he probably wouldn't be in right now. I think the more likely case is that he's saving further comments on K. Rool for a time when he has more space to do so. He did mention that there was a lot he wanted to talk about in the column.
He's OBVIOUSLY saving the K.Rool talk for when he announces Dixie Kong so he can talk about both at the same time!

Ganon K. Roolenstein

Smash Cadet
It's been a while since I've last posted here. I've been wanting K. Rool in Smash since July 2015, around the time the Mii costume was announced. I thought for sure he was gonna be the final DLC character for Smash 4 as the ballot winner, so when he wasn't, I was pretty devastated. And here we are 3 years later, and K. Rool is finally playable in Smash. It feels so surreal!

The response to K. Rool finally being in Smash has blown me away. He is the most popular newcomer by far, even overshadowing Simon Belmont's reveal, which surprised me, because people kept saying K. Rool was "irrelevant" and that "no one cares about him anymore", so I did not expect his reveal to be this popular. Glad I was wrong.

I always thought K. Rool was very likely for Ultimate due to the ballot (which, a lot of people ignored when talking about K. Rool's chances for some reason). So to see Sakurai himself finally confirm this to be the case is very nice. He did more with K. Rool than I thought he would. Like, I was seriously not expecting K. Rool to use his boxing gloves in his move set, but he does! His move set is everything I've wanted and more. It's perfect.

K. Rool is literally the only character I wanted in Smash. So it feels so good and satisfying to finally have him in, especially after all the years of detractors and their "muh relevancy" arguments. I greatly look forward to maining him. December can't come soon enough!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
It's been a while since I've last posted here. I've been wanting K. Rool in Smash since July 2015, around the time the Mii costume was announced. I thought for sure he was gonna be the final DLC character for Smash 4 as the ballot winner, so when he wasn't, I was pretty devastated. And here we are 3 years later, and K. Rool is finally playable in Smash. It feels so surreal!

The response to K. Rool finally being in Smash has blown me away. He is the most popular newcomer by far, even overshadowing Simon Belmont's reveal, which surprised me, because people kept saying K. Rool was "irrelevant" and that "no one cares about him anymore", so I did not expect his reveal to be this popular. Glad I was wrong.

I always thought K. Rool was very likely for Ultimate due to the ballot (which, a lot of people ignored when talking about K. Rool's chances for some reason). So to see Sakurai himself finally confirm this to be the case is very nice. He did more with K. Rool than I thought he would. Like, I was seriously not expecting K. Rool to use his boxing gloves in his move set, but he does! His move set is everything I've wanted and more. It's perfect.

K. Rool is literally the only character I wanted in Smash. So it feels so good and satisfying to finally have him in, especially after all the years of detractors and their "muh relevancy" arguments. I greatly look forward to maining him. December can't come soon enough!
K. Rool's moveset looks like it was made by a fan, and I mean that in a really good way. It's partially why this is so surreal. If he just had some made-up stuff as his moveset, it would be more like a fighter in Smash with K. Rool paint on it, which would sink in faster for me. Instead, they looked at the original trilogy and 64 for his moveset, and worked with what was offered there. His moveset looks pretty much as how the Kutthroats envisioned it. It's almost literally a dream becoming a reality.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
It's dumb because it was so unrealistic, but I really wanted the electric pods idea from DKC3 implemented.

I sort of like how the counter though basically emphasizes he has armor on his belly.

Gold plate K. Rool reinstated for life!

Last edited:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I remember someone came up with an idea involving the electricity where it'd come arcing out of his remote for a down-special and then electrify his fallen cannonballs like it does the steel kegs in the Krematoa boss fight in DKC3. Then those cannonballs would become a seriously dangerous stationary trap. Sounds really cool and it's a neat reference, but it probably wouldn't be all that useful in practice.
I think I also once suggested he have a sort of electricity field around his ankles for a down smash, if only so the charging animation could have him waggling his finger over the remote like some old-school cartoon villain before mashing it and activating the move. We haven't seen a down smash so it could happen, but I'd almost wager money that it's not.

Trouble with referencing Baron K. Roolenstein is that he doesn't really attack directly - he just kinda wanders back and forth while the Kongs navigate his arena and try not to run into him or the electricity. Then he gets brutally electrocuted and presses a button to activate his next ingenious trap.

I don't think we've seen his helpless animation yet though, so he very well could have the hand waving he does after he gets hit in that game. Honestly the best reference I think they could have as far as DKC3 goes.

D

Deleted member

I CAN'T STOP WATCHING HIS FIRST GAMEPLAY VIDEO. He actually looks legit. Even ZeRo is backing the idea the our King is going be a good character. This game's speed is literally benefiting him so hard. I gotta know, does anyone else still get goosebumps watching the trailer or is it just me? December can't come soon enough.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
One thing I like is how jiggly he looks. I definitely prefer that over the "muscle" DKC1 Rare K. Rool had. (I think he lost the muscle in DKC2 , 3, and 64).

D

Deleted member

Zero's video makes me even more excited to use King K. Rool. December cannot come soon enough.
It's really sweet how, after doing K. Rool such justice as a character and taking heed of the outpouring of fan support, Sakurai is -apologizing- that he had to reduce Rool's size to make him work as a character...a detail that I haven't seen one single fan complain about with everything else great about his portrayal.

Once the man commits to an inclusion, he really goes above and beyond, down to the smallest of details.

On that note, I am planning on gathering together all the names of people who want to be added onto the thank-you message to Sakurai. If you haven't put your name down in this thread already, and are still interested in doing so, you have a few more hours.
Agreed. I knew that once he got in, he was going to see a lavished treatment similar to what Mega Man got as a character. I never thought I would be surprised at how well K. Rool turned out.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
He's OBVIOUSLY saving the K.Rool talk for when he announces Dixie Kong so he can talk about both at the same time!
I can see that happening, actually...

I mean, after we got Ridley I wasn't expecting anything else Metroid-wise, and then BAM, Dark Samus. Sakurai might do it again with Dixie Kong. (And it'd be extra icing on the already amazing cake,)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
K. Rool's moveset looks like it was made by a fan, and I mean that in a really good way. It's partially why this is so surreal. If he just had some made-up stuff as his moveset, it would be more like a fighter in Smash with K. Rool paint on it, which would sink in faster for me. Instead, they looked at the original trilogy and 64 for his moveset, and worked with what was offered there. His moveset looks pretty much as how the Kutthroats envisioned it. It's almost literally a dream becoming a reality.
I think it's a bit of both. It feels fanmade in some parts but it doesn't go too far. It's also worth bearing in mind that K Rool is the character for which such a "fan" mishmash absolutely works the best.

For example, I am reasonably sure that every Special Move K Rool has has been discussed at length as a possibility in this thread - even the counter, though typically we tried to make it fit with playing dead or something similar.
Having the DK Land belly flop as a N-Air is something that was mentioned as well.

This said, there are places where Sakurai opted for OC moves instead. Forward Air could've been a barrel blast claw swipe and was what I used in every moveset I wrote. But we got something honestly much cooler in that dropkick.

Even in places with no "obvious" inspiration such as his throws, Sakurai has made some wonderful choices. That backbreaker up throw is glorious.

- - - - -

Perhaps the thing I'm happiest about in this moveset is that Sakurai didn't opt for the 64 ground pound as an aerial or a down special. I kind of expect it to be a down smash now, which is how I always wanted it.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I think it's a bit of both. It feels fanmade in some parts but it doesn't go too far. It's also worth bearing in mind that K Rool is the character for which such a "fan" mishmash absolutely works the best.

For example, I am reasonably sure that every Special Move K Rool has has been discussed at length as a possibility in this thread - even the counter, though typically we tried to make it fit with playing dead or something similar.
Having the DK Land belly flop as a N-Air is something that was mentioned as well.

This said, there are places where Sakurai opted for OC moves instead. Forward Air could've been a barrel blast claw swipe and was what I used in every moveset I wrote. But we got something honestly much cooler in that dropkick.

Even in places with no "obvious" inspiration such as his throws, Sakurai has made some wonderful choices. That backbreaker up throw is glorious.

- - - - -

Perhaps the thing I'm happiest about in this moveset is that Sakurai didn't opt for the 64 ground pound as an aerial or a down special. I kind of expect it to be a down smash now, which is how I always wanted it.
Well, hey, I don't think we know what his down air is yet. But regardless, I'm really glad as well that we didn't get a ground pound down special. While I wasn't big on the counter at first, it's grown on me since.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
You think that's cool? (It is.)

Take a closer look at his back throw in the match versus Snake. He grabs him, slams him to the ground - then DRAGS HIM THROUGH THE DIRT - sending Snake behind the King. It's savage.

StormC

Smash Hero
Well, hey, I don't think we know what his down air is yet. But regardless, I'm really glad as well that we didn't get a ground pound down special. While I wasn't big on the counter at first, it's grown on me since.
You can see his down air in the video, it's a Ganon-style stomp.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Sakurai made me like the Paon K. Rool face. (I think the cheeks have been slightly altered though it is largely the same).

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Hey guys, it‘s not quite related to K Rool, but yesterday I finished my studying and I can call myselfa physiotherapist now.

I am telling you this because the reveal of K Rool and all the hype happened exactly during my finals period and had a big motivational impact on me.

Seeing my long wanted favorite Kroc being in smash just gave me such a motivational boost that keeping up with my studies wasn‘t hard at all. In fact, I was able to push myself so far to finish as best of class, yesterday, with High grades across the boards.

So, not only does K Rool‘s inclusion mark an over a decade old dream of mine, but also my step into a new world as a fully fledged therapist with a great exam.

Cheers to the Kroc, Sakurai and the K Rool Fan base, for giving me an ever so slight escape from my studies whenever I needed one.

You seriously Rool!

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Imagine a trailer like this...

The trailer starts with Toon Link on his pirate ship overlooking the horizon. All the while, a storm is brewing behind him with a sinister-looking galleon headlining the lightning. Toon Link jumps into the downstairs cabin and warily looks around. A comedic tripping sound is heard as Toon Link draws his sword.
Suddenly, smoke erupts from the back of the cabin as a shadow smashes into the walls. Toon Link is knocked onto the floor and braces himself with his shield. The shadow expands to reveal, sputtering sparks and smoke all the while...

KAOS KAUSES SOME KARNAGE!

Toon Link looks dumbfounded, as KAOS continues to try and scare the child. The robot then explodes in a slapstick manner. The camera zooms in on the reptilian hand that was presumably operating the robot polishing his crown, then focuses on Toon Link, panting for air in the smoke. The camera then zooms in on Toon Link, holding up his shield, as the reflection reveals the mastermind behind the invasion...

KING K ROOL CAME, SAW AND KONQUERED!

Gameplay footage starts and whatnot, showing off K. Rool's ruthless fighting style (mostly on the Kongs), confirming Pirate Ship's return and a new stage based on King of Swing. Gameplay ends with K. Rool's Final Smash, a cutscene involving K. Rool utilizing all of his personas against the opponent before KAOS appears, comically falling from the sky, and bursting onto the opponent in a Smart Bomb-esque explosion.

The after-credits scene shows K. Rool about to pummel Toon Link, before being uppercutted by Donkey Kong into the sky.
Very strange. My concept for K. Rool's trailer set-up seems eerily similar to the official reveal, down to the fake-out.
What a concidence.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Very strange. My concept for K. Rool's trailer set-up seems eerily similar to the official reveal, down to the fake-out.
What a concidence.
With all due respect, I don't see any similarities whatsoever.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With all due respect, I don't see any similarities whatsoever.
There are some (another character being a bait-and-switch for K. Rool, the Pirate Ship being confirmed), but it's entirely a coincidence.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere else in this thread, but there was one detail about the K. Rool vs. Snake match that really bugged me...
When it cuts to the victory screen the announcer clearly says "King Cruel" instead of "King K. Rool" is that how you actually say it? Is my entire life a lie?

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
So, not only does K Rool‘s inclusion mark an over a decade old dream of mine, but also my step into a new world as a fully fledged therapist with a great exam.

Cheers to the Kroc, Sakurai and the K Rool Fan base, for giving me an ever so slight escape from my studies whenever I needed one.
Hey, congratulations. You achieved a life goal - that's really good stuff! Never stop working hard and doing good.

StormC

Smash Hero
I replayed DKC1 and 2 earlier this year and said I would fire up DKC3 if K. Rool was revealed. Here I am on Lakeside Limbo.

Wonder if we'll get any reference at all to DKC3 in this game besides the Helipack recovery.

Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere else in this thread, but there was one detail about the K. Rool vs. Snake match that really bugged me...
When it cuts to the victory screen the announcer clearly says "King Cruel" instead of "King K. Rool" is that how you actually say it? Is my entire life a lie?
It's pronounced that way in the Japanese version because it's closer to "Kururu." The UK version of the video says "Kay Rool."

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Did this for Chrom and Dark Samus but I made color swaps for the newcomers plus potential ones. Thought I would try posting them to see what kind of reactions I get.

Blue is from the site
Orange is Klinger
Brown is Klubba
Red is the Kaboom
Green is based on Krunch
Purple is from the site
Black is based on Kludgel
B8E39D0B-A541-4A65-B85E-5941FBE9A131.png

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kind of wish the capes changed colors more than just slightly different shades of Red.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Hope we get something like the black and silver one that would really change things up

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Did this for Chrom and Dark Samus but I made color swaps for the newcomers plus potential ones. Thought I would try posting them to see what kind of reactions I get.

Blue is from the site
Orange is Klinger
Brown is Klubba I think
Red is the TNT kremling
Green is based kremling
Purple is from the site
Black is ... Klungel? I think
View attachment 159479
The black and silver one would probably be the one I go with. It looks really nice.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Something I've been wondering about is how K Rool's blunderbuss will interact with projectiles. There's a couple of questions in my mind:

Q1) Is the cannonball reflected by hitboxes or does it have to be hurtboxes? Is it percentage based?

Q2) If it's deflected by hitboxes (at least sufficiently good ones) what happens when it's hit by a transcendent one that passes through and hits K Rool? That would stop the blunderbuss absorbing the cannonball - so would it damage him?

These questions are mostly relevant in his matchup with the likes of ROB, whose laser almost single handedly invalidates Dedede's Gordo by reflecting it and putting him in hitstun to be hit by it as well - not that I expect K Rool to be the favourite here anyway, as ROB has always felt like a foil to other projectile characters to me anyway.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I understand this is kinda situational but wouldn't it be cool if in addition to sucking the cannonball and opponents that K. Rool could suck in other characters' projectiles and launch them? I mean, they made Dedede do it...

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeah, Kaboom.

Looks like K. Lumsy.

Kludgel.
Oops. I meant it the light green and black cape one was based from Krunch the Kremling From Diddy Kong Racing. Totally forgot until I saw the memo I made.

Last edited:

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
I understand this is kinda situational but wouldn't it be cool if in addition to sucking the cannonball and opponents that K. Rool could suck in other characters' projectiles and launch them? I mean, they made Dedede do it...
He can literally suck in opponents themselves, I wouldn't be surprised if he could suck in their projectiles as well.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Oops. I meant it the light green and black cape one was based from Krunch the Kremling From Diddy Kong Racing. Totally forgot until I saw the memo I made.
Krunch was another one I was thinking of but with K. Rool’s size I thought more K. Lumsy. Didn’t even thing of the sleeveless leather jacket, which for some reason is purple in his later appearances.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Like 1 week or so ago, my brain finally setteled around the fact that Ridley is IN THE GAME!
Took so damn long to process it!

Now I'm currently at the same type of longterm disbelief regarding K Rool's inclusion.
Still can't believe he's IN THE GAME!

Top Bottom